Chapter Two

Urban Romance


Regret. 

So much regret. 

Sumi had never been this drunk before. Her body felt numb, her legs felt as if they were only half attached. And her head. 

Oh gawd, her head.

It was an 'all good in the moment' kinda thing, and Sumi didn't want to go back for more.

She found herself slumped in the backseat of no other than Jongdae's car. He'd offered to give them a lift home, and while she could have proudly claimed independence and called a cab, she couldn't guarantee the same for her friend. Yoonmi lay passed out next to her, strawberry blonde hair a wet mess and her eye make-up smudged from drunken crying. Feeling bad for her friend, Sumi ran a finger along the side of her face, clearing the loose strands of wandering hair.

It was then that the driver's door opened and Jongdae finally returned from the McDonald's he'd randomly stopped at while driving them home. His gaze fell upon the passed out passenger and a cheeky smile pulled at his thin lips.

"Yoonmi's always been a lightweight." He murmured, climbing into the driver's seat with his carry on in one go. "But I guess she's taking her break-up with that kid pretty hard."

She meant to respond with an agreeing hum, but what came up from sounded more like a disgruntled groan. Jongdae failed in stifling a chuckle, and Sumi could barely manage a glare in his direction.

"Here."

He reached to the back and offered an MCD's cup her way, along with a brown paper bag. By the mouth-watering smell wafting around the car, she assumed it was a freshly made bagel and coffee.

The sky was beginning to lighten, and Sumi couldn't believe her eyes were still open. She figured it was pure will, that the moment her head hit her bed, she'd konk out. The car seats were surprisingly soft, and Sumi was having difficulty holding on to her usual iron will.

The car came to life on the empty road, which would begin to pile up one vehicle at a time soon enough. The street lights were still on, and with every post they passed, the beam of light burned at her eyes. But the warmth of the coffee passing her lips was so welcome to her hungover state, Sumi nearly moaned.

"Good?"

She hummed in the positive. "Thanks."

From the frontview mirror, she could see his eyebrows rise. "What, no backbiting? Not gonna judge me for stopping at McDonald's?"

With some caffeine in her system, she felt good enough to move her limbs, and one thing she'd been craving to do all night was to pull her hair down from the stiff ponytail Jisu had insisted on. A sigh left her lips at the relief washing over her head.

"You're feeding me and getting me home. I'd be pretty messed up to be ungrateful right now."

Looking up, she found his gaze on her. Their contact lasted for about five seconds before he blinked and his vision returned to the road, but a small smile remained on his lips. Sumi's eyes remained on the mirror, and she found herself taking in his profile. His features were rather angular, his light brown hair styled to the back. His eyes were a whiskey brown, fiery and lively, and it was rather hard to miss his feminine lashes even in her drunk state. He was rather.. Pretty.

She was so intent on studying his face, she didn't notice that he was staring back with an amused grin. Registering her staring, she tore her gaze away and brought the cup of coffee up to cover her face.

Thankfully, he didn't .

"How are you and Lightweight friends?" He broke the awkward silence as he took a steep turn up Yanggu Uni Arterial. They were almost back on campus.

Sumi frowned at the nickname. It sounded familiar, but she couldn't pinpoint it. "We're roommates."

"Ohh, you're the one who's always hiding under her bedsheets."

"What?" She blinked, and the name finally clicked. "Wait - that means you're the guy who's always bringing Yoonmi back to our dorm."

"It's not like Jisu's gonna do it." He remarked with annoyance.

Sumi blinked as she recalled the countless times she would wake from her sleep as Yoonmi would drunkenly stumble through their shared dormroom, and the voice of a guy helping her to bed, calling her Lightweight. Sumi would instinctively cover her body under her sheets, not wanting to be seen in her PJ's. When the door closed, she'd uncover herself to find Yoonmi tucked into bed, shoes off and gone to the world. Who would have known it was Jongdae this whole time?

"Are you thinking I'm not that bad after all?" He interrupted her thoughts with the hopeful suggestion.

"Maybe." She scoffed in a rebellious tone, eyes shifting to the window. "Still doesn't make up for the worst date ever."

Jongdae merely laughed.

It took about ten minutes to get from the university entrance to the student residences. Thankfully, security hadn't manned their posts yet, and they drove through without hassle.

Jongdae brought the car to a slow rest in the handicapped parking space, which was advantageously right in front of Sumi's dorm building.

It took an extra five minutes to try and find any sign of life in Yoonmi, and that was merely a groan. Eventually becoming impatient and with a huff, Jongdae got the girl into his arms, all bridal style like. He looked over at Sumi, his face half triumphant and half regretful.

"This may sound emasculating, but I was not born to do this."

Even Sumi couldn't help bursting out in laughter, and she tried to stop immediately as the very sound banged hammers in her head. She retrieved the rest of hers and Yoonmi's things from the car, and did her best to get them to their room quickly.

They had only moved back into the dorms three days before, and neither had made much progress with their luggage. Their beds, however, were thankfully ready for their sleep deprived bodies.

Yoonmi was put to bed, and Jongdae began to breathe normally again. Sumi began to feel the exhaustion pile up, her bed calling her ever so temptingly.

"Thanks for helping." She mumbled Jongdae's way, hand raised to stifle a yawn.

"Anything for li'l Lightweight." He reached down to ruffle Yoonmi's already mangled hair.

To this, the passed out girl squirmed, and she even managed to answer, her words merely a whimper. "I hate you."

Chuckling, the male began to head for the door. The knob turned, and he turned to look her way, his features set in a small smile. "Y'know, for the record, I am sorry for what I did on our date."

Somehow, one night had made their blind date seem like a million years ago, and Sumi found herself waving it aside.

"It's ok. I mean, like you said, I'm not exactly the textbook definition of fun."

Leaning against the open door, Jongdae tilted his head. "Granted, but you're not as boring either."

"Hmmm?"

"No kidding, I was surprised how well you let go on the dancefloor. Most people can't move that well no matter how much alcohol they consume."

Sumi shrugged, moving to sit on her bed, eyelids beginning to drop. "If I didn't, Jisu would have given me an earful."

He laughed, the sound tinkling. "Work hard, play hard, ehh?"

"For what its worth, I'm never playing that hard again." She murmured with gusto even in her state.

"Pity." With a teasing grin, he began to close the door. "See ya, Tupperware."

"Pshh. See ya, Blind Date."

 

 


A/N: A lil bit of remedy to their initial bad impressions of each other ^^

Thanks for reading~~~