Slip Of Tongue

The Girl I Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry, baby… I’m so, so sorry…”

“I-It’s okay, Joohyun-ah… listen to me,” Holding back tears from her lover has to be the most difficult moment; a time where she has to be the stronger one for the both of them. “I… I won’t let anything happen to us, so just come home soon.”

“I miss you, Seungwan.”

Wendy clasped her hand over her lips, trying to hold back her sobs for as long as possible. “I miss you too. I miss everything about you.”

Irene hasn't been by her side for almost two years now, and it's a miracle that they're still continuing this strong. Wendy has never believed the possibility of long-distance relationships because of what everyone around her has been saying. They had arguments, conflicts and painful processes that tore their hearts from the inside but never once, Wendy thought about giving this up. The airplane crash was the one thing Wendy would never be able to erase from her mind or her memory; the blow turned into a form of determination for her. 

Call her psychic, but Wendy could feel that Irene didn't die in the crash. Wendy behaved like a possessed woman for a week afterward, finding as many part-time jobs as possible so she could save enough money to fly to America. The plane might have crashed en route to Seoul but the it was an American Airline; Wendy thought the debris and passengers would be brought back to the nearer country, which was still America.

“I will get us out of this mess. I promise.”

“Don’t!” Wendy exclaimed; she knows her girlfriend is a level-headed woman but in times of an emotional outburst, she’s unpredictable. Their relationship is already on the verge of being forced apart – not doing anything for now would be a smarter option. “J-Just… just come back to me. Don’t even look for revenge.”

The silence is deafening, it's the type that keeps going on until a pin drops and breaks the silence. In this case, it's Irene's sobbing and cries that wrecked the solemn atmosphere, and Wendy has never wanted to fly to America so badly. She promised Irene that she'd stay in Seoul and forge a name for herself so Irene could come back to her without any worry whatsoever. No matter what happens, Irene will return to Seoul before their relationship can come to any harm. Wendy always tries her best to comfort Irene but the older is so stubborn and the result ends up being the same - stagnant.

“I… I wish I could change things… I don’t want you to be alone anymore,” Irene sobbed, her heart aching with every word leaving her lips. She should never have given in to her father's demands, and she wouldn't be in this plight if not for him. “I will come back. I will come back to you soon.”

“I love you, Joohyun.”

“I love you more. Take care of yourself.”

The call ended with Wendy wondering if time has always passed this quickly; she missed Irene more every time a call ended. With every tear drop that Irene sheds, Wendy's determination to establish a standing here in Seoul grows. Before things get too difficult for Irene to continue, Wendy will bring her back here. Irene has gotten too involved with the issues over at her father's company, and she has been manipulated to a terrible extent. Now Irene can't get out her predicament, but Wendy can make a difference to that and she made it a personal promise.

Wendy can’t help but feel her heart ache for her precious girlfriend. Irene only wanted to have her father’s blessings for their relationship so she chose to go to America… if only the plane didn’t crash… Irene’s efforts to come back would have paid off and she wouldn’t be stuck in America again.

“Can I get a beer, please?”

Smiling at the kind bartender, Wendy made sure to give him a tip. She has other things to consider right now and a plan to come up with; if anything were to happen to Irene when she isn't around. 

I'll crush your soul, Mr Kim.

I promise.

 

*

 

Jisoo has her head buried in her files, literally and figuratively – she hasn’t left the office since yesterday evening and it’s already coming to ten in the morning. The documents in front of her will be the death of her, especially with the irrational outputs the partners want. She asked her father for permission to leave the office so she could go have a night of relaxation but she got turned down without even her question ended. A part of her wonders why the hell she tried but another part of her had a strong feeling that the answer will always be a 'no' even if her work is all done.

Then again, things have always been weird. 

Ever since the evening Jisoo awoke in her room, her questions were never answered. She woke up feeling as if her mind had been emptied out, and it didn't help that her mother didn't want to be alone with her in the same room. 

“Jisoo-ah?” Yoona poked her head through the gap between the door and the wall. Her expression turned dark when she noticed the eye bags around her eyes. She really pitied the young woman for being in this position. “Are you hungry? I’m going to get some coffee so I can buy back something for you if you like.”

The young CEO nodded, thanking her secretary with a mind-blowing smile. She treasures each and every employee of the company, especially since they cared for Jisoo more than anyone else. The love Jisoo can’t get from her own family comes from her employees… and it’s saddening to see her own health deteriorate because of her own negligent parents. Jisoo is at the age to be independent but her parents won't even let her spend a week over at her boyfriend's place; to think they can openly claim that their trust in her is at its maximum. 

“What kind of life am I leading?” Jisoo mumbled.

And right at that moment, her phone screen lit up.

 

Text from Taehyung

Hey babe! Shall we go for dinner tonight?

 

That name put a smile on Jisoo’s face almost immediately; why did he always know the right time to cheer her up? She can't even count the instances where Taehyung has come to her rescue; whether it's when she has a fight with her parents or when they're throwing her the tremendous work-load like this. Every single thing that Taehyung has done is well-remembered and will be carved into Jisoo's memory for as long as she lives, because that's the cause of the question she's been asking herself ever since she woke up alone in her bedroom with wires attached to her entire body.

Why does her heart still feel so empty?

‘There’s something Appa is hiding from me… I know he is. He doesn’t want to be with me in the same room anymore? But Umma said we used to be closer than any father and daughter out there…’

All the varied thoughts in Jisoo's mind always make her wonder; why are her parents so careful around her if they’re as close as they claim to be? Nothing adds up to whatever her parents – or, her mother, rather – is telling her. Their actions have not been corresponding in the least, because people who hide things usually make sure to do it full-scale. Their suspicious actions have got to be the sloppiest attempt at hiding a secret from their daughter who eventually graduated from one of the top universities here last year.

An alert comes in.

 

To: Kim Jisoo

Lisa and Chaeyoung have separated. Did you know about this? Look, I know my girlfriend is working for you and all but um… can you do something about this situation? If this continues, your friends are not going to end up on good terms.

Take care.

From: Kwon Yuri

 

Separated?

Jisoo suddenly feels a jolt of uncertainty flush through her veins; she didn't hear anything from either of her friends about this. The events of their life usually come directly to Jisoo since she checks on them from time to time but Lisa didn't email her about a single thing at all. If Yuri, who isn't even as close to any of them as Jisoo herself is, knows about it then shouldn’t Yoona too? Not forgetting that Yoona tells her everything without hesitation or anything like that. Why does everyone seem to be hiding things from her?!

“Yoona-unnie?” Jisoo peeks her head out of her office. She smiles when she sees Yoona handing out the coffee cups she bought to the staff. “Will you please come in once you’re done?”

And Yoona has a bad feeling instantly. 

While she waits for Yoona, Jisoo can't help but start getting antsy about the situations surrounding both her and her friends. In so many ways, she has every right to get anxious. Not only is she being kept in the dark about these issues, no one seems to be able to be honest about themselves. Although Jisoo accepts everything handed to her; there are several things that have been ringing alarm bells in her head. The bad or unfortunate instincts that come to her are usually spot-on no matter the circumstances.

“What is it, Jisoo?” Yoona shuts the door behind her. She doesn’t like the unreadable expression on the younger woman’s face, because it simply means Jisoo is questioning something she might not be able to answer. “Are you feeling okay?”

“I’m not okay, Unnie.”

The doe-eyed woman fought to maintain her expression; she can’t be so transparent if she doesn’t want to hurt Jisoo. She already learnt her lesson the last time she almost blurted something out. 

“O-Oh… and why not?”

“I know Appa and Umma are hiding things from me, Unnie. I’m not stupid or oblivious,” Jisoo says with a courteous tone. She doesn’t have anything against her secretary; after all, Yoona does not have much authority in the first place. Whatever Yoona says is usually whatever she is allowed to. “But first

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter