If Only...

You're Not In Love With Me

.

 

 

The sirens and ambulace faded away into the background as the newly collected soul followed Taekwoon to a secluded alley way, who by the way took much convicing that he was dead after his accident.

"Name, Gong Chan-sik. Location, near Olympic Park South Playground. Estimated time of death, 3:45pm. Cause of death, hit and run." Taekwoon read out his death list for confirmation, which appeared in a form of a black hardcover book in his hand.

Once he got the confirmation of collecting the correct soul he was ready to proceed. He clicked the top of the pen he was holding in his other hand and it transformed into a scythe in his palm. It was sleek and was the length of his forearm (not the big long bulk ones from the olden days). With a dramatic swipe a portal opened in a form of a very bright light in mid-air.

The soul stared into the light with awe, before a question dawned on him. "Wait, am I going to heaven or hell?"

"I'm only here to collect your soul and open the portal for you. Once you step into the light, the portal will take you to your final destination."

So, Taekwoon is a grim reaper.

Almost six months ago he was still Jong Leo, and alive. He just finished his bachelors degree in journalism. Though, no one would hire him even after sending his works to about fifty publishing companies. He was depressed. He couldn't sleep for days. Then one day he decided to take some sleeping pills and took a hot bath. And that's where he fell asleep and drowned to his death.

His death was labeled a suicide, but he insisted that it was an accident. No one believed him. And as a human who "committed suicide" he was assigned to be a grim reaper, continuously observing people's deaths as a so-called punishment. Each reaper has a secret quota of souls to collect; and, once the quota is met, the reaper moves on to another realm.

When Leo became a reaper he was given a different physical appearance, name and personal history so he could may interact with the living and do his job as Jung Taekwoon.

After the soul disappeared into the light, Taekwoon closed the portal, put away his "tools" and made his leave out of the alley.

As he got out to the sidewalk he felt a droplet of water on his cheek. Then another, and another. He had a bad feeling about this. 

A second later rain began to pour. He wasn't prepared for a rainy day. He didn't have an umbrella or anything on him. So he decided to run for shelter. 

He got about 2 blocks before he found himself back at the old playground park just around where he collected that soul about an hour ago. But this time he actually went into the park where he found a big tree to hide under.

After a few minutes Taekwoon realized being under a tree wasn't the best place for cover from the rain. It was simply slowing the drenching process. Dripping and dropping, the rain was coming down through the branches, making it worst with the gusts of wind blowing by. And his clothes was already somewhat wet from his run in the rain, making him shiver a little.

He wiped a hand over his face, dampened from the rain drops. Suddenly the dripping from above had stopped and the sight of lush green leaves and rough brown branches were blocked out by blue and black checkers and wiry metal. An umbrella. The owner of it, who stood before him tunred out to be Wonshik.

They stared at each other for a long minute before one of them spoke.

"Hi." Wonshik smiled.

"Hi," Taekwoon said softly back, looking down at their feet. Still there, their red string is still connected. He just couldn't understand. Why?

"Did you forgot your umbrella?"

Taekwoon looked up at the other's question, realizing Wonshik had moved in closer. The umbrella now covering over both their heads completely. Uncomfortable by the close proximatey, he took a step back, stumbling over a tree root. 

Wonshik reached out, grabbing him by the arm.

Their eyes met for the second time. But this time Taekwoon felt the other's gaze more intensely. Like Wonshik was slowly pulling him in. Feeling inexplicably shy, he turned his face away and felt heat rise to his cheeks.

Wonshik released his arm, using his free hand now to reach up his face, warm fingers grazing his cheekbone.

He pulled back with a small leaf between his fingers. "You had a leaf in your hair." He chuckled.

Taekwoon was feeling this warm tingling sensation all over even down to his stomach. And this makes him nervous.
 "I need to leave," he said, sleathering away, out from under the tree and running out into the rain.

"Wait!" Wonshik ran after him, and grabbed his wrist, so he couldn't go any further. "Is something wrong?"

"No," Taekwoon answered, looking away.

"I know we've only met a couple times. But it seems like everytime you're running away from me." Wonshik hesitated. "I-I know it may sound weird, but I just want to get to know you." Looking at him sincerely. "Can't I?"

"I-I don't know," Taekwoon sputtered, shaking his hand out of the other's grasp, turning his on his heels, wanting to leave again.

Wonshik caught his hand once more and placed the handle of the umbrella in his hand. "Take it," he said.

"But, you..." Taekwoon was taken a back.

"It's okay. I have this jacket on." Wonshik pulled his oversized hood over his head. Shoving one hand in his jacket pocket, as he waved goodbye with the other to him. And just like that he turned and walked away.

Taekwoon watched the other's retreating back kind of confused, and sad. "I'm sorry," he whispered. If only we met 6 months ago.

 

 

.