Appointment

You're Not In Love With Me

.

 

 

 

Wonshik checked the time on his phone like a dozen times since he got to the cafe. He's not sure why, but he felt a bit nervous. Like he's going on his first date with someone. But this wasn't. He's just returning the dry-cleaned sweater to Taekwoon. His "destined" one.

He still couldn't believe he found his soulmate. But honestly, he wasn't really sure how to go about this. Especially, since Taekwoon was a guy. He's never forwardly went after a man before. He's had felt something for other men before but none that was serious enough for him to act on. So, you can say he's always leaned more towards women for the safe bet.

Just as his mind was floating up in the air, Wonshik felt a familiar tug from his red string.

He looked towards the entrance and saw Taekwoon, who was looking around the place, lost.

"Over here," Wonshik waved to him.

When Taekwoon saw him he looked a bit taken a back. Suddenly, he turned around like he was about to leave, just like that very first time they met. His hand already on the door handle.

Wonshik felt that tug at his ankle again. It was his red string. There's this tension, almost like a tug-of-war between their string. Curiously, he gave his foot a strong pull. And as if instantly, Taekwoon turned back around to him. 

The other looked a bit confused and unsure, biting his lips. But after a moment of resolve he made his way towards Wonshik.

Did it actually worked? Does the red string work like that? Wonshik wondered.

"Hi," he tried to play it cool.

"Hi," Taekwoon murmured.

"I got your dry-cleaned sweater." Wonshik poked the bag he had it in, sitting on his side of the window sill.

"Oh, I thought the assistant manager..."

"Jaehwan, the assistant manager here is a friend of mines. He's off today so he asked me to returned it to you. I hope that's okay."

"I see. That's fine." Taekwoon lifted up his right arm slightly as if he was reaching for something. For his sweater maybe.

Wonshik must had misread the other's intension, instead his first reaction was to take Taekwoon's hand in his for a handshake. "I'm Wonshik by the way."

He felt an instant chill when he held the other's hand, but that lasted only for a split-second before it warmed. Taekwoon's hand was pale in comparison to his, and smaller than his too. Just an observation.

Wonshik must had held on for too long, as the hand eventually slipped out of his grasp.

He let out a nervous laugh. "Sorry. Why don't you have a sit?"

"I-I actually..." Taekwoon stuttered before he could finish.

"I got you a latte. And it's still warm." Wonshik slided the cup towards the opposite side of the table from him.

"You didn't have to." The skittish man seemed to show some interest in the drink, that's a start.

"It's alright. It's on Jaehwan's tab anyway." Wonshik smiled.

Taekwoon bit his bottom lips red, and sat down across from the table. "Thank you."

Wonshik watched him sipping his latte quietly, with both hands around the cup. The latter paused, his lips kitten-like, when he noticed he was being watched.

Wonshik cleared his throat. "So I here you're a writer."

Taekwoon looked up at him through his thick bangs.

"Sorry." Wonshik rubbed at the back of his neck. "Jaehwan actually showed me your card, so I..."

The writer nodded in response.

"So, what kind of stories do you write?"

"Mystery," Taekwoon said soft but curtly.

Just like you, Wonshik thought. "Cool."

Taekwoon jolted up suddenly, looking at his watch. "Sorry, but I have to leave now for an appointment."

"Wait!" Wonshik called after him, but the latter hurriedly left the cafe and didn't even take his sweater or the latte with him.

Feeling something off, he grabbed the bag with the sweater and decided to go out to look for him.

He looked around the streets but couldn't see him. He took a step to the left and realize their red string was still visible, which meant Taekwoon was still nearby. So he followed it.

He turned a corner, and further up the street he saw a small crowd gathering and the red string was leading up to it. Sensing something wrong, he ran up to the scattered crowd to find Taekwoon, kneeling on the ground with an unconscious elderly woman his arms.

"Taekwoon?"

The writer looked up at Wonshik with mournful eyes. "Call the ambulance."

By the time they arrived to the hospital the elderly woman was pronounced dead, due to Sudden Cardiac Death. It was a natural death due to old age the doctor had told them.

Taekwoon had taken a seat at in the waiting area of the ER after the ordeal just looking down, staring at his opened palms.

Does he think it's fault? Or is he still in shock?, Wonshik thought as he silently sat beside him. What can I say or do to comfort him?

It's probably not something you should do on your second meeting with someone, but something led him to place his hand lightly on top of Taekwoon's wrist. Which caused the other to turn to him.

"Are you okay?" Wonshik asked.

Taekwoon hesitantly nodded, turning away again, moving his hand from under his touch.

"Did you know her?"

Taekwoon shook his head, almost child-like. "Not really," he said softly. "She's just another grandmother who lived in the country, coming to the city to see her family, her children. But nobody paid attention to her. They just went on their day and forgot about her. And now she's gone, and no one was even there to say goodbye."

Wonshik couldn't think of any words to sympathize, since he haven't experienced a lost of a grandparent before, and he was fairly close to his too.

So they sat in silence for a few more minutes before Taekwoon stood up abruptly. "Thanks for calling the ambulance earlier."

Wonshik stood up too. "No problem." He awkwardly dug his hands in his denim pockets. "Um, do you need a lift home? I can call a taxi, we can share."

"I actually have an appointment here."

"Oh." Wonshik guessed this was the appointment he was talking about earlier when he practically ran out the cafe. "Are you okay?" he asked, just out of curiosity.

Taekwoon blinked for a second, like he was thinking of an answer. "It's for a check up."

"Okay." Wonshik nodded. "I guess, I should get going then. Bye."

"Bye," Taekwoon said, almost in a whisper.

Wonshik walked to the entrance, and almost got out the hospital doors before realizing he was still holding the bag with Taekwoon's sweater. He rushed back too where they last were, but he was out of sight already.
 

 

 

.