How I Am Now

You're Not In Love With Me

.

 

 

 

It had been a long night for Taekwoon. Then that fatefully meeting happened in the morning at that cafe. Discovering that person actually existed, totally took him off balance.

Taekwoon sighed, exhuasted physically and mentally, as he pressed the code on the keypad to his apartment. The door clicked open with a chime. He instantly smelt an amora in the air. Someone was trying to cook again and it didn't smell good.

Taekwoon took off his shoes at the entryway and entered the living room and accompanied open kitchen.

"Good morning!" Hakyeon, his elder roommate, said cheerily, setting up plates on the dinning table. "I made breakfast."

"I can see that." Taekwoon took a seat and looked at the spread on the table, which included grilled sausages, scambled eggs, and some oddly shapened googly eyed riceballs.

Taekwoon scuffed at the failed attemped for kawaii onigiris, but he was also hunger. So he picked up one of the riceballs and went for a bite. It tasted weird, but he didn't expected much from Hakyeon's cooking. He kept eating anyway.

Hakyeon sat across from him, bringing two bowls of rice with utensils for both of them. "So, did you get your job done last night."

"Yea," Taekwoon said, gazing down with that cold feeling coming over him again, like everytime he finished a job.

"Where were you all night?"

"The Han River."

"Oh." Hakyeon nodded, understandingly. "Was it...?"

"A suicide." Taekwoon paused. "A double suicide. They were a couple."

Hakyeon pressed his lips. "I'm sorry, Taekwoon." He knew Taekwoon gets especially emotional when the other had to take care of a suicide, and this one was a double suicide too. It must had put a toll on him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" The elder knew Taekwoon usually prefered keeping certain things to himself, but he still had to ask.

Taekwoon shook his head, as expected.

They stayed silent as they continued eating.

Then suddenly, Taekwoon cleared his throat, putting down his chopsticks over his emptied rice bowl. "Do you remember how I told you before that I could see the Red Strings of Fate?"

"Mmm-hum" Hakyeon nodded as he chewed his food.

"Well, this morning, when I was walking home. I found the person who's connected to the other end of my red string."

Hakyeon's eyes buldged, hastily swallowed his food to speak. "You did!? B-but, you're..."

"I know." Taekwoon rubbed the back of his neck in uncertainty. "I don't know how this could happen either. It's like the universe is playing a bad joke on me."

Hakyeon was curious. "What are you going to do?"

"Nothing," Taekwoon said flatly. "It's best we never meet again."

"But you're bond together by destiny. Even if you try to avoid them, somehow you'll meet again," Hakyeon emphasized.

The other shrugged, as though he didn't care. "Then I'll avoid them at all cost."

The elder looked at him sympathetically. "But Taekwoon, didn't ever you wondered who your soulmate could have been?"

"Isn't it too late for me wonder? It's not like we can end up together, with how I am now." Taekwoon swallowed, feeling his throat tighten.

 

 

 

.