A Cruel Twist

A Not So Cinderella Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Cruel Twist

“Have fun?” the prince asked over dinner.

Nayeon had only been released from the three girls when the prince came up to them at the pier where Amber wanted to skip stones, to see if Nayeon wanted to grab dinner early since they hadn't had lunch. Though she was having fun with the girls Nayeon was starving and took the prince's offer. She bid farewell to the girls, but she wasn't allowed to go until they exchanged numbers with them all which she didn't argue with, she liked them.

Looking up from her plate of meatloaf and bean salad she nodded with a smile. “It was a lot of fun. How did your match with Jongin go?”

“I won,” he beamed proudly.

“Only because you cheated,” Jongin complained sliding onto the bench seat next to the prince. They were in the mess hall where there were a good chunk of people eating, but it was half past five so most campers were still out and about not yet hungry.

“How'd I cheat?” Sehun challenged.

Jongin pointed his spoon at Nayeon, who's eyes widened startled at the gesture. “Everyone knows a guy plays better when he has a cheerleader on the sidelines, even if she's the silent type,” he accused.

“W-What?” the prince flustered incredulously.

Dropping her head to hide her own embarrassment she stammered, “I w-wasn't even th-there for most of it.”

“Yeah,” Sehun agreed.

“Whatever, still counts. He cheated and I want another rematch,” Jongin stated like a pouting child.

For the rest of dinner their table was mostly quiet except for the occasional jabs the boys threw at one another. When they were done eating the prince invited Nayeon on a walk along the trails before the evening campfires were lit. She happily accepted and they took off for the trails, the sky starting to burst with reds and oranges as the sun began descending.

The trails were quiet except for the chirp of song birds and the slight drumming of their feet against the earth. Nayeon glanced about the green trees and foliage in awe at the peaceful beauty as they strolled along. They were a good ways into the forest, guards yards behind them giving the two their privacy, when Nayeon stumbled over a rock protruding from the ground. She was prepared to hit the ground, but it didn't happen as an arm hooked around her waist, keeping her from landing on her face. Releasing a relieved breath she turned her head to see the prince staring down at her with a worried expression.

“You okay?” he asked in his deep voice.

“Y-Yeah. Thank you,” she nodded with a faint blush warming her cheeks.

Making sure she was steady on her feet he slowly released her while Nayeon smoothed down her shirt. Clearing his throat Nayeon glanced back at him to see the prince with his gaze adverted to the sky as his mouth pursed together and his ears turned red. He held out his right hand to her, the crimson swirling circle staring back at her as she peered down at the offered limb. Her heart was racing and her body trembled.

“It'll be safer if you hold my hand,” he said with a faint lisp. Nayeon never said it out loud, but she found when the prince's lisp made an appearance it made him that much more attractive and cute in her eyes. That small thing reminded her that he was human just like her, that the only difference was the title he carried.

“It's always safer when I hold your hand,” Nayeon whispered shyly. Slowly she reached out and placed her hand in his, the butterflies in her stomach waking up and going crazy.

Sehun's face reddened more as he curled his fingers around her hand, holding it securely in his. Not much more was said as they continued down the path further into the woods. All Nayeon could hear now was the beating of her heart in her ears and feel the warmth of the prince's hand around hers. It was safe and reassuring. It was something Nayeon could trust and believe in.

When they finally reached where the prince wanted to go Nayeon found them at a peaked ledge with a safety rail along the edge. It overlooked the lake that was gleaming in the setting sun. The view was expansive and beautiful and it left Nayeon breathless as she stared out across the camp. She absently squeezed the prince's hand as she took in the view.

“This is my favorite spot in the whole camp,” he said softly.

“I see why,” she breathed.

For a moment they just stood there, then Sehun's hand moved around hers. She turned her gaze downward to watch as he intertwined his fingers with hers, his thumb brushing gently against the back of her hand sending the butterflies into a whirlwind in her stomach. Nayeon knew this wasn't how one reacted to a friend's presence, but she couldn't stop it.

We're just friends, she chanted in her head as she turned back to look at the lake.

“Nayeon?” he spoke up with a husky voice that sent a tingle down her spine.

“Yes, Your Highness,” she answered.

“Can you start calling me by my name? I would like you to call me Sehun, please.”

Swallowing the nervous lump in she said, “If that's what you want, but why all of a sudden?” Her voice sounded small even to her own ears as she spoke.

The prince shuffled in place next to her, his hand squeezing hers as his tongue darted out to wet his lips. Nayeon stared at him from the corner of her eye, too shy to face him fully. “Because I want to start moving forward,” he answered.

Forward? What does that mean?

As if reading her mind Sehun faced her completely, tugging on their joined hands so Nayeon stumbled a few steps closer to him. “I want to start moving forward with you, if,” he paused to swallow and control his nervous lisp. “If you'll let me that is.”

Let him? He can't really be asking –

Nayeon's mind felt like a jumbled mess as her heart jumped into making breathing hard which only made her anxiety worse. Her palms began sweating and all she could do was stare up at the prince incredulously. They were friends, what was the next step?

“There's no rush for you to answer, of course,” he said taking a step back, though his hand still held hers. “You can take your time and give me an answer when you're ready. I can wait.”

The evening fires were an interesting event that Nayeon sat through. There were people playing guitars and singing folk songs, some were dancing and showing off, there was marshmallows roasting and hot chocolate passed around. It was lively and fun and the prince and her only sat at one of the six fire pits with roaring flames that kept off the evening chill. Jongin, Kris and the prince fooled around mostly, reminiscing the old times while trying to one up embarrassing each other on the dumb things they did as teens and kids during their summers. Nayeon watched and listened with a smile on her face enjoying the sight of a carefree Sehun more than the stories she didn't know. He worked hard and deserved this moment to smile and laugh just like a normal person. At that moment he wasn't Prince Sehun, nor unmarked born person, he was just Oh Sehun, returnee camper of Camp Grea Lake.

When two o'clock ticked around people began clearing out to their cabins, tired but smiling. The prince and Nayeon took turns changing in the back of the cabin where one of the guards had hung a curtain to create a private alcove. They didn't speak much than the brief pleasant comment on their day as they climbed into their beds. The prince took the left most top bunk, saying it was his since he was a camper, while Nayeon took the bottom bunk of the adjacent bed. The guards were on a rotating shift with one outside while the other three were in the two bunk beds on the other side of the cabin.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter