Friends Galore

A Not So Cinderella Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friends Galore

The months following the queen's birthday were hectic and far different from the days Nayeon lived until then. People were constantly flooding the boutique to see and judge Nayeon, so much so it got to the point where she had to look into hiring security, but she didn't even get the chance to interview people when she was assaulted. It was only a few weeks after the party (which was the same day Nayeon agreed to be friends with the prince) when a pair of girls showed up at the store and shoved Nayeon to the ground yelling profanities at her until Saerom called the police. Word of the assault spread fast, so fast that by closing time Nayeon was receiving a call from the prince and was coaxed into having two special guards monitor the boutique.

Now the crowds had calmed down some and only one guard was needed to maintain order, enough so that Nayeon was able to leave the store to Saerom on the occasional weekday so she could meet up with the prince when he had free time. He was currently a recent graduate with a degree in political science and law that he was putting to use by getting involved in some policies that the government was discussing, Nayeon wasn't too sure what it was about since she never really paid attention to politics. Careers aside, Nayeon had learned that the prince and her were far more similar than she had ever assumed.

At first they bonded over their shared pasts being markless, but after a night at a restaurant where Sehun praised the angle food cake they expanded their talks to interests and hobbies. Sehun liked dancing and sports, while Nayeon enjoyed crafting and learning languages. He was kind and well spoken (thought he had his awkward shy moments too), while Nayeon was patient and too timid for her own good. After two months of spending time together and exchanging text messages Nayeon eventually opened up about her time in high school in full instead of glancing over it like she had always done when they talked about their pasts. The prince wanted to go for a walk, so he brought her to the palace to stroll through the gardens on the mild summer afternoon.

Nayeon had sniffled as they passed by a group of white rose bushes. She wrapped her arms around herself as she glanced up at the blue sky.

“Uh, did I say something wrong?” the prince inquired nervously.

“Huh? Oh, no,” she shook her head. “Quite the opposite.”

Sehun tilted his head curiously.

“You know how Jongdae was my first friend since high school,” she said more as a reminded than a question. Of course the prince knew, Nayeon talked about Jongdae a lot and Sehun had asked for his help with her. “I had one at the start of high school. It was a very breif friendship that ended. . . not so well. . . for me.”

“Nayeon, you don't have to tell me this if you don't want to,” he said gently.

Sniffling again she shook her head. A small smile pulled at her lips as she gazed up at the prince, fighting off the tears that always wanted to surface when she remembered that dark time.

“We're friends now, aren't we?”

He nodded. “Yes, I like to think so.”

“Jongdae knows, and you've shared just as personal things with me. Plus I want to, if you'll listen. It's not a long story, rather cliché too,” she said honestly.

“Of course I'll listen,” he swore as they turned into a hedge maze.

“Since middle school I was known as the girl in my neighborhood with no mark, that didn't change with high school, though there was a boy who didn't have a mark either. At least that's what I thought.” She took a deep breath settling the stormy feeling inside her ever so slightly. “We got close in four months, then after winter break the truth came out and I became the laughing stock of the school. He was marked, but covered it with makeup. He just wanted a good laugh, and he got it with enough material to last the next three and a half years, alongside his soulmate.”

“.” That was the only thing that the prince had to say in comment.

Nayeon snorted. A hand flying to to cover it as she broke out in amused giggled. Sehun may have been a prince, but there were times when that demeanor changed and he sounded like a normal guy just like Jongdae.


 

It was the middle of August when Nayeon received a very unusual message from the prince asking if she was up for an overnight trip that weekend. Jongdae, who had come over to her place with Thai food, peeked over her shoulder and giggled excited at the message. Nayeon shoved him away as she thought about her answer while biting at the end of her chopsticks.

“Tell him yes. You deserve a vacation from the boutique and it's already closed on Sundays. Saerom can handle Saturday on her own, and if not then I'll drop by in the afternoon after my morning practice,” Jongdae said knocking his knee into hers.

Lowering her phone and chopsticks she glanced at her friend, eyes soft and a tiny smile on her face. “Why are you so nice? You don't have to help me as much as you're doing.”

Jongdae sat his food and utensils on the coffee table before turning back to her and wrapping his arms around her in s tight hug. Nayeon awkwardly dropped her chopsticks onto the table before she returned the embrace, burying her face into his shoulder as he squeezed tighter.

“Nayeon, you're too sweet,” he cooed. “After everything you're still precious and kind. I'm nice because we're friends, because you mean a lot to me. I help because I want you to be happy just like everyone else.”

Nayeon felt her nose tingle and her eyes prickle from oncoming tears as she clung to her best friend. “Tank chu,” she murmured into his shoulder.

Jongdae chuckled as he loosened his hold so he could push her back to look at her. He was smirking as he wiped a stray tears from Nayeon's cheek. “What was that?” he chortled.

“Thank you,” she repeated with a snuffle.

“Thank me after you answer the prince, and you better agree to his trip,” he said with a faux stern glance like he was her parent or something.

Giggling she retrieved her arms and held her phone in front of her to send the text. “Aye aye master.”

Ruffling her hair Jongdae laughed, “Good girl.”

That weekend the prince showed up at Nayeon's apartment at 6:30 sharp on Saturday morning. At first she didn't recognize him behind the big sunglasses, ball cap and facial mask, but after a cheery greeting she knew it was him from his deep voice. Nayeon smiled back before she grabbed her duffelbag with her overnight clothes and a pair to chang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter