Two Lonely Soldiers

A Not So Cinderella Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two Lonely Soldiers

“I can't believe you have to meet that creep again,” Jongdae muttered for the fourth time since he arrived at the boutique.

It was Tuesday and Mr. Shen said he would have the bracelet picked up when Nayeon made the call Monday, though he never said who would be picking it up. When she mentioned that to Jongdae as he walked home with her Monday he made an “executive best friend decision” – his words – that he would be at the shop in case it was creepy Luhan or on the off chance it was Mr. Shen and he was even weirder than his pal. Nayeon didn't tell Jongdae that the order was for the royal family, nor her theory about Mr. Shen, she had steeled her resolve to play ignorant and innocent. It was easiest that way.

“I'm just receiving payment and handing over the bracelet. It'll be five minutes tops,” Nayeon commented. It was one of the shops slower days, so she was looking into new inventory options on the computer by the register as Jongdae sat on the stool next to her swiveling about as he did something on his phone.

“Yeah, still too long of an interaction for my liking. My little Nayeon is too cute and naïve to be around guys like him,” he said like an overprotective father.

Nayeon snorted. “Excuse me? Who is naïve?” She glanced sideways at the spinning guy as he lowered his phone to meet her gaze with a playful smirk.

“I'm two years your senior, of course you're more naïve than I am,” he stated humorously.

“Says the guy who had to retake the same two general classes three times,” she grumbled. It was that reason why Jongdae was twenty-five and only now in his last year of university about to graduate when summer finally comes.

“Hey I'm not a math and science guy!” he defended with a sour pout.

“I'm aware,” she teased.

Jongdae spun himself around completely twice as he grumbled, “Such a meanie to her master.” Nayeon just rolled her eyes as she returned to the computer and her work.

About twenty minutes later the shop door opened and both Jongdae and Nayeon turned to see who it was. “Welcome,” she said on reflex as Luhan stepped into the boutique, a far too friendly smile tugging at his lips as he made his way, not to the counter, but around the store like he was looking for something.

Jongdae leaned towards Nayeon and whispered, “Psychopath. I'm pre-dialing the cops.”

Nayeon said nothing in reply as Luhan reappeared from behind a shelf, smile much smaller than before and proceeded to the front counter. Jongdae had his phone in hand as he eyed the other man while Nayeon slowly climbed off of her own stool to address the customer, but when she opened to speak Luhan held up a hand to stop her.

With his left hand he touched his corresponding ear and glanced towards the door. “Okay, he may enter,” he said, but it was clear he wasn't speaking to Jongdae or Nayeon.

“He?” the guy to Nayeon's right inquired rather directly. “He who? What's going on?”

Nayeon's suspicious crept back to the forefront of her mind and all she wanted to say was No, no, no!

A moment later the boutique door opened and in walked another man while a third stood outside like he was guarding the door from any other visitors. Jongdae stirred next to her, hopping off his own stool to stand close to Nayeon, who was desperately yanking at her shirt sleeve that just didn't feel long enough despite it reaching her wrists today. She had to keep the mark hidden. It wasn't real. It was only temporary. It meant nothing.

“Who's this?” Jongdae questioned when the second guy stopped next to Luhan. His head was down and a black snapback hid his face. He was rather tall, with broad shoulders and a slim physique that was clad in gray jeans and a black windbreaker over a plain white v-neck. It was a simple style, yet with one glance Nayeon could tell everything was high quality, even his shoes she was willing to bet if she peeked over the counter to look, but she remained frozen to her spot.

“You should use a politer tone boy,” Luhan warned, though not unkindly.

“Pardon,” Jongdae grumbled.

The second man raised his head and Nayeon felt the air knocked out of her as the prince of their country gave a professionally kind smile in greeting to her and her friend. “Afternoon,” Oh Sehun said.

Jongdae's jaw dropped in shock while Nayeon remained frozen her head feeling unnaturally light. The nightmare was getting too real.

When no one said anything Sehun turned to Nayeon, smile still in place as he stepped up to the counter like any other customer. “Miss Byun Nayeon? I believe you have something of mine.”

Nayeon wasn't sure how her body started moving, but it did like she was on autopilot and she was just watching the shell of herself work. She gave a curt nod before turning to the cupboard behind her where she had placed the bracelet while she waited for Luhan to retrieve it. She had wrapped it up in the jewelry box she had received the pendant in, and now slid the box across the counter to its buyer.

The prince opened it and inspected the accessory for a moment before closing it and grinning at Nayeon, who became even dizzier at the gesture. “It's perfect thank you. How much do I owe you?”

Somehow she managed to ring the prince up and hand him his receipt, no words said as she just couldn't find her voice nor get enough air into her lungs to function quite right. Once the prince had pocketed the jewelry box with the bracelet and his wallet he glanced back at Nayeon with a much more serious expression that made her stomach knot and her palms sweaty.

Jongdae was still a stunned statue gaping at her side, absolutely no help.

“Isn't there something else?” Sehun inquired with a raise of his brows.

Nayeon shook her head quickly.

“Sire.” Luhan made a small gesture that Nayeon didn't catch.

Holding his right arm over the counter, gaze locked with Nayeon's, the prince said, “I'll show you mine if you show me yours.”

“I-It's not real,” was all Nayeon was able to choke out before her world tipped sideways and she gave into the blanket of blackness that took over her consciousness.

When Nayeon came to it only felt like moments later, but as she blinked against the bright light over head she didn't recognize the white ceiling over head. It wasn't the ceiling of the boutique nor was the smell that filled her nose, it was clean and sterile instead of the metallic and leathery scent of the store. The next thing she noticed was that she wasn't alone, two voices were arguing back and forth in hushed tones that only made Nayeon anxious.

Pushing herself upright she found herself in a hospital bed with Jongdae and Luhan across the room leering at one another. At her movement they turned their sights on Nayeon, Jongdae rushing to her side and grabbing her right hand with a concerned expression on his face.

“Hey Nayeon. How are you feeling?” he asked softly.

Rubbing her forehead with her free hand she swallowed a few times to bring moisture back to her dry mouth. “Fine. What happened?” she asked curiously.

“You fainted,” Jongdae answered.

“No,” Luhan cut in. He was now standing at the foot of Nayeon's bed, arms folded and a deep crease between his brows as his brown eyes stared at her. “You passed out due to stress. When you didn't wake up after five minutes we had you brought to the hospital,” he explained matter-of-factly.

“Same thing,” Jongdae murmured annoyed.

Luhan scoffed at the other boy, then lightened his tone as he addressed Nayeon aga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter