#1

Your Disappearance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This used to be your favorite place.  

Do you still remember? 

Remember when we were reckless, immature and mindless? 

Remember how the elders would look at us and hoped we could be more responsible with our own lives? 

I remember those stares. But we didn't care. 

Anyways, I still remember what we did here. 

What day it was. 

And how I felt that day, 

Was like winning the grand prize 

Utter happiness flowing out of its brim. 

You told me that it was a great day even though rain didn't show a sign of stopping. 

I pushed your head telling you that what you said was nonsense. 

You just pulled out your signature buddha smile telling me how excited you were. 

"I planned this for weeks and I was praying the whole time that it wouldn't rain. But, I guess mother nature's trying to tell me I picked the wrong date." You chuckled a little while your hands still on the steering firmly.  

It was odd though. It was the summer. Rain hardly ever pours down this heavy. I shrugged at the thought, thinking it was just our bad luck activating.  

"It's okay. We could still have some fun while it rains." I reassured you. 

"By the way, where are we heading?" 

"It's a secret, Kihyun-ah. Gee, this was the first time you've asked me that question. How long did you hold it in?" 

"It's a secret, Hyunwoo-ah." I mimicked him. You scoffed a little in reply. 

Slowly, as time passed, the rain began to lighten up.  

"Look, maybe we could have some fun outdoors today." You commented. 

"Yeah, I guess so." I looked out the window and saw the droplets of rain racing each other. I watched as each droplet reach the bottom of the window and disappeared. My finger followed a droplet and another and another. Until you caught me in my childish play. 

"Are you that bored?" 

I looked at you, ready to answer you. But I didn't. I stared intently at your features. Luckily for me, you weren't aware. I saw how your eyes shone despite me seeing it sideways. I saw how you would bite your lips a little every few moments. Your eyebrows would furrow every time a signboard passed your vision. Your nose would be scrunched up as you tried to read the words on it. This was all quite a sight for me. A memory I wouldn't forget. 

"You like what you're seeing?" I saw a small smile that formed on your face. And I realized I still existed in your peripheral vision. Slight heat crawled up my face and I found myself watching the scenery sweep pass the window. 

"Yeah, I am bored." You didn't say anything but gently touched my cheek and muttered how cute I was under your breath. I rolled my eyes but had a tinge of happiness showing at the corners of my lips. 

Less than a minute passed when I spoke my next sentence. 

"I liked what I saw. You know, if me saying it makes you happy. Also, why didn't you stop me staring at you?" 

"Well, I like being the center of your attention once in a while, you know? I like being looked at like a piece of art." 

"Psh. How long did I stare?" 

"Not more than a few minutes. But I enjoyed every moment though." After hearing that sentence, I reached up to your cheek and kissed it. I whispered in your ear, "Idiot."  

"How long more until we get to your secret outdoor destination? I'm getting tired of sitting." 

"Not long more, love." You said and tangled your hand with mine. 

Suddenly, that exact memory faded away from my mind. Like how tiny grains of sand blown away by the wind. My soul returned back to the present and my head spun a little, making the scenery ahead of me seem doubled. I stopped in my track and looked back. Footprints marked on the shore led to where I was. A chilly small wave hit my feet and shivers ran down my back. I let myself take a little breather. My gaze changed from the sand to the edge of the ocean that settled ever so far away from me. At the end of it, the sky met. The two blue hues clashed but didn't appear as an annoyance to each other but instead they complemented each other well. A humid breeze hit my face as I watched the glowing sun. 

"Not long more, love." That sentence was played on repeat.  

I looked up and smiled like a fool. 

Was this your sign of saying your arrival was soon? Or was it a lie? But you sounded so genuine. I believed you. I really did.  

I felt my eyes and heart sting. It felt like poison started growing from my heart. Like a flower with a million thorns. The corners of my eyes started to be filled with tears.  

Ha. No. Crying for you? I didn't want to.  

"I hate you so much."  

But I know, deep down, hatred never existed when it came to both of us.  

I took a deep breath and continued my path. 

"Don't you worry, Hyunwoo. I'll be fine. I'll be with you soon. And then I'll be happy. We could run away together. We could build our own freedom. And most importantly, stay together. Forever. Right? You promised me that our love was eternity. You won't break that promise, right?" 

Sigh. 

"Wait for me." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter