Chapter 6

It's Still Only You

He had helped Jeonghan enter the cab and then he let his employee handle the rest, trusting that Jeonghan would make it home safely and hopefully be able to handle the terrible hangover that he would definitely be suffering from in the next morning.

 

Hangovers were the worst, Jeonghan decided. He woke up to someone drawing the curtains open and sun rays falling directly over his face. He groaned and cursed in annoyance before turning to face the other direction to block out the light. Only, the same mystery person that have opened his curtains was now removing the pillow that Jeonghan was using to cover his face.

"Come on you lazy , get up." The voice said...Joshua's voice to be exact. 

Jeonghan knew he was drunk last night and he did have a pretty bad hangover, but he was pretty sure he was in his house...so what was his best friend doing here? Jeonghan wanted to sit up and ask the other just that, but his head was pounding and he only managed another groan of pain.

"Man, how much did you have to drink last night?" Joshua asked as he took in Jeonghan's appearance. His hair was a mess and his face looked even worse and Joshua was pretty sure Jeonghan would puke at any moment. Jeonghan just glared at him but Joshua took none of it to heart, knowing that his friend was just trying to deal with the symptoms of his hangover. Luckily, the door opened the next moment and Dokyeom came in with a cup of coffee and a plate filled with scrambled eggs and toast and Jeonghan took the items gratefully, scarfing down the eggs and practically inhaling his coffee.

"What are you guys doing here?" Jeonghan asked as he chewed. "Don't you have a cafe to run?"

"Actually, it's 2 in the afternoon so things are pretty slow now and I've got a new guy to watch over the place while I'm here taking care of you."

"It's 2?! You mean I slept in?" Jeonghan asked, searching for his phone just to check. Dokyeom caught on and handed him the phone that was sitting on his dresser. He had to squint at the bright phone screen before his vision focused and he saw the time, as well as several messages from Seungkwan, Jun and Minghao, all asking if he was okay. He chose to ignore them and locked his phone again.

"Yeah. Your husband called me around 10 asking me to check in on you. I didn't even know he had my number." Joshua replied.

"He made me give it to him a few months after we got married." Jeonghan mumbled into his coffee mug, frowning at the thought of Jae calling Joshua.

"You know, I don't really know the guy, but he must care about you a lot to go through all of the trouble of asking Joshua to check up on you, especially considering how busy he is. And he's not even making you go to work even though you're his secretary. Jae can't be as bad as you make him out to be." Dokyeom commented and Jeonghan only glared back.

"Trust me, this isn't how he usually is. If he's acting like this it's probably because someone is making him...most likely his father." Jeonghan said as he drank the last bit of his coffee. "Anyway, what are you doing here? I get Shua and all, but why did you tag along?" But when neither of the two answered and instead blushed, Jeonghan got his answer and smiled like a Cheshire cat as he ate his piece of toast. At least things were working out for those two.

Joshua coughed awkwardly and quickly changed the subject, sitting on the edge of the bed next to Jeonghan to ask him what made him drink so foolishly the night before.

"Usually you're pretty good with your drinking habits, unless you're actively trying to get drunk...were you?" Joshua asked.

"I don't know...maybe." Jeonghan answered but clearly that wasn't enough for Joshua because he asked again. ", maybe I was trying to get drunk. You know I hate being at those things Shua. Plus, I was sill pissed at Jae and Seungcheol was there-"

"Woah, wait. Seungcheol? What does he have to do with any of this?"

"He...I don't know...he was looking at me with so much concern and I guess I just wanted more of his attention so I kept drinking."

"You realize that's stupid right?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt but...who's Seungcheol?" Dokyeom asked.

"The CEO of Sebong international, the company they're merging with, and Jeonghan's ex-boyfriend." Joshua answered while sending Jeonghan a displeased look.

"Oh..that's....complicated." Dokyeom replied. "And why are you trying to get his attention when you're married?" The younger asked, truly confused at the situation.

"Yes, Jeonghan. Please tell us...why are you trying to get Seungcheol's attention? Even after you promised me that you wouldn't do anything. You're a married man and you said yourself that Seungcheol's got a partner. Nothing good can come out of you trying to pursue him." Joshua said, scolding Jeonghan and Jeonghan just pulled his covers up to his face and looked the other way to avoid Joshua's look.

"Well what if I'm selfish! Jae is an and now I want Seungcheol." Jeonghan said like a child.

"What did Jae do?" Dokyeom asked this time.

What did he do? He's a cheating that treats me like crap and I hate him. Was what Jeonghan wanted to say but he knew he couldn't tell them the truth. If he did, that would only make his own life harder. One, because he knew if word got out then Jae and his family would throw him under the bus and make his life a living hell. And two, because he didn't think he'd be able to face the look of disappointment from his friends when they realized that he'd been keeping something so important from them. It was just better to lie or not say anything at all. And, like usual, Jeonghan chose not to say anything at all to them.

Seeing that Jeonghan wasn't going to answer, Joshua sighed and ran his fingers through Jeonghan's hair, trying to soothe the other. "Look, Jeonghan, I know your marriage with Jae is not what you expected it to be, hell, I still don't even know why you suddenly agreed to marry him in the first place, but the fact of the matter is that you are tied to him and it would be wrong of you to not only break up your own marriage, but someone else's too, just because you've changed your mind about him."

"I haven't changed my mind. I never loved Jae in the first place." Jeonghan confessed.

"Then why did you marry him?" Joshua pushed. Although Jeonghan stayed silent and Joshua could only stare at his best friend before speaking again. "I'm only trying to look out for you Jeonghan."

Jeonghan said nothing again and instead laid back down on his bed, curling up into a ball and throwing the covers completely on top of himself. Joshua and Dokyeom just sighed, both not knowing what else to do and so they just rubbed Jeonghan's back in a comforting manner before leaving the alone in his room.

 

 

About a week later, Jeonghan found himself sitting at his desk at Shim Corporation. He was busy taking phone calls and rearranging a few appointments for Jae since his husband was stuck in a meeting for the merger and it was taking longer than expected. He was currently moving around some schedules on a spreadsheet when he saw a coffee cup being placed on his desk from his peripheral vision. He looked up to see Jun staring down at him with a small smile.

"Busy?" The Chinese man asked.

"Not entirely. Most of this stuff is just tedious and I can get it done anytime. Why? Do you need anything?" Jeonghan replied.

"No...I was just hoping I could spend some time with you in my office. You've barely shown your face around here the last few days and we've all been worried. Also, Minghao has really missed you and he's upset that you haven't even given him a hug since he came back from his trip." 

"Alright fine. But I can't be gone for too long. I don't want Jae to come by his office and see that I'm not at my desk. He's annoying enough as it is, I don't don't want to give him any ammunition to start a fight." Jeonghan said as he grabbed his freshly made coffee and followed his friend to his private office.

Inside, Minghao and Seungkwan were already seated and they were talking about some food that Minghao had tried on his trip to China. That is until Minghao noticed Jeonghan and he immediately stopped whatever he was saying in favor of running up to the long haired brunette and giving him a hug.

"Hyung! Are you okay? How come you haven't come by to greet me since I came back?" The younger Chinese man asked, pouting a little as spoke.

"Sorry Minghao. How about I make it up to you by taking you out to dinner later this week?" Jeonghan offered and he was quickly forgiven by the younger. "And of course, you both can come too." Jeonghan added when he saw his other two friends looking at him expectantly.

The four of them then fell into easy conversations. Most of them being about Minghao's trip to China and how he even got to visit his parents. It was a pleasant talk and it carried on for quiet a few minutes before Jun got a call from the front desk in the lobby of the building.

"Package?" Jeonghan asked.

"Yeah, I ordered it a couple of weeks ago but I didn't think it'd come this fast....Hey, does anyone want to be my new favorite person and go down to get it for me?" Jun asked.

"Just take the elevator and get it yourself." Seungkwan said.

"But I'm lazy." Jun whined as he sat down in his chair, dragging Minghao into his lap as he did so.

"I'll get it. I need to stretch my legs anyway." Jeonghan said and left the office as Seungkwan started complaining about Jun and Minghao's PDA and how he didn't want to see any of it.

Jeonghan chuckled on his way down and grabbed the package, taking a few minutes to even chat with Wendy at the front desk before he made his way back to the elevators to return to his floor.

Although when Jeonghan was waiting for the elevator doors to open, the one person he was not expecting to run into stepped out of the elevator.

A short man with platinum blonde hair greeted him and Jeonghan could only stare back with his mouth slightly open.

"Jeonghan-sshi, are you alright?" Woozi asked.

"Uh, yeah. Is the meeting over?" Jeonghan asked, wondering why the man was alone and why he seemed to be heading out.

"Oh, not by far. I just have to pick up Chan from daycare and then drop him off at a friend's place but I should be back shortly." Woozi answered.

"Chan? I'm guessing that's your son?" Jeonghan asked, hating himself for dragging on the conversation.

"Oh he's not really mine. But I love him like he is. Sometimes I think I love him even more than my lover." Woozi said fondly and Jeonghan realized that he hated Woozi even more than himself at the moment. 

This cute guy who's seemingly perfect and completely loyal to Seungcheol is having such a pleasant conversation with him yet he doesn't even know how much his words are killing Jeonghan. He's just bragging to Jeonghan about how perfect his life is and Jeonghan decides that he hates Woozi. No matter how nice the guy is, he hates him and he can't help how the next words that come out of his mouth sound so bitter.

"Seungcheol must be so lucky to have someone like you." Jeonghan said, poorly disguising his anger that is out of pure jealousy.

"Excuse me?" Woozi asked, noticing the tone.

"Nothing. You should probably get going. You wouldn't want to keep your precious Chan waiting. And I'm sure Seungcheol is eagerly waiting for you to return from your little errand."

Woozi takes a moment to stare at Jeonghan and Jeonghan doesn't like how it seems like Woozi is reading him through and through with just one look. And after a moment, the shorter man decided to speak. "You know, at one point, Seungcheol was waiting for your return too. At least I won't be letting him down like you did."

Jeonghan felt like he had been slapped as Woozi passed by him. "You know nothing about us!" Jeonghan said before the other was out of ear shot, feeling the need to defend himself. 

"I know enough." Was all Woozi said before he made his leave and Jeonghan was left standing in the lobby feeling more angry than he had in weeks. 

It took hours for Jeonghan to calm down again. Busying himself with office work kept his mind off of things for a good while and before he knew it, he was almost done with all of his work. He had stopped by to check on his friends again, hoping they would also lift his mood and then he went back to his work, going over some final documents before leaving them on Jae's desk and going back to his own desk to pack up his things. 

Jeonghan was almost ready to leave and go home, not bothering to wait for Jae (they still weren't really talking), but he decided to make a quick detour to the men's bathroom leaving.

Once Jeonghan was done with his business, he exited the bathroom and as he was making his way back to his desk, he was stopped when he saw two figures tucked away in an empty conference room. The lights were off and Jeonghan wanted to walked passed it but he knew he couldn't really do that. If it were two employees then Jeonghan would have to break it up, no matter how awkward that job would be, because it was against their policy for two employees to be caught engaging in such activities in the workplace. But as Jeonghan got closer to the conference room, he could see through the glass windows who exactly was inside the room.

It was Seungcheol and Woozi and the two were in a tight embrace. By the looks of it, Seungcheol seemed to be comforting the other, holding him close to his chest while rubbing soothing hands across the smaller man's back and suddenly Jeonghan felt every bit or anger and jealousy he had experienced earlier in the day come right back to the surface. He had no idea what the context of the situation was or what led up to it, all he knew was that see those two together with such an intimate air around them made his blood boil.

Jeonghan didn't know what he was doing just standing there in the middle of the hallway but he found himself unable to move for a while, just watching the scene unfold. His fists clenched as he saw Seungcheol pull away from the embrace, only to wipe what Jeonghan could only guess was tears from the smaller males cheeks before the CEO resumed the hug. It was sickening, to see Seungcheol act so sweet and caring towards someone that wasn't himself, especially when Seungcheol had rejected his own advances in the club just a week ago, and Jeonghan wanted to march in there and break the two apart. He knew he was being crazy but seeing those two like that made all rational thought leave his mind. 

All Jeonghan wanted to do was confront Seungcheol and demand to know what was so good about this Woozi and try to convince him that he could be so much better, that he was better. Again, a small part of his brain was telling him not to, but he found it hard to listen to reason when he was overcome with envy. 

So Jeonghan waited in conference room next to the one the other two were using, a place where he knew he wouldn't be seen, and he counted the moments until he could catch Seungcheol alone. 

It took a while but it seemed that luck was on his side when he saw Woozi leave the room first. Jeonghan waited for the smaller male to be out of sight before he stepped out of the room he was in and caught Seungcheol by surprise just as the older man was leaving. 

"Jeonghan? I didn't see you there. Are you heading home now?" The older asked but Jeonghan didn't answer.

"Is he why you won't consider me?" Jeonghan asked this time and Seungcheol gave him a confused look.

"Pardon?" 

"Woozi. Is he the reason you didn't consider my offer at the club?" Jeonghan asked again.

"What are you talking about?" Seungcheol asked back.

"Oh don't play dumb with me Cheol. We both know that you were head over heels for me and if this were 6 years ago you would've taken any opportunity to be with me. Now all of a sudden you can't spare me a second glance and you ignore me when I'm practically throwing myself at you. Am I not good enough anymore? Now that you have other people in your life and you're Mr. Big CEO, you suddenly don't find me appealing. Is that it?"

"Look, you must be tired. It's been a long day and we've both been stuck in this building for too long. You should probably go home an-"

"Answer me!" Jeonghan demanded and Seungcheol's look changed and Jeonghan could tell the other was getting more and more annoyed.

"What do you want me to say? You want me to say yes? That I do want you! That I've been foolishly waiting for you for all this time when it was you that broke my heart to begin with? Well I'm sorry Jeonghan but it doesn't work that way. You don't get to walk out the way you did and then come back expecting me to go along with your every whim. That may have been the way things were before but I have more self respect than to let back in my life so easily again. And I refuse to be that love sick puppy that let you have so much power over me."

"Wow, you really have changed in the last few years. I bet you have Woozi to thank for that." Jeonghan said bitterly.

"What does Woozi have to do with this?"

"I saw the way you two were all cozy just a few moments ago. It looked like you were comforting him. Why? Trouble in paradise?"

"You know nothing about Woozi so shut your trap." Seungcheol said through gritted teeth.

"I know that you two like to gossip about me. He told me that you told him about me. Tell me, does he know all that we were? Does he know how you were so, head over heels, in love with me? That we had the perfect relationship."

"Why should that matter?"

"I'm just curious. That little short stack must be a little concerned with me around. Is that why he was being a little cry baby in there? Is he scared that his relationship could turn to at any moment?"

"Shut up!" Seungcheol yelled. "You don't know anything about him and you have no right to talk about him, especially in front of me."

"Well aren't you protective. Does he really mean that much to you?"

"Look, I don't know what it is that you want but maybe you should be more concerned with your own marriage instead of whatever it is that's going on with my Woozi."

"I don't care about my marriage." Jeonghan replied, hiding his ring finger as if that would make it go away.

"Well that's not my problem." Seungcheol said in a cold tone, taking a step away from Jeonghan.

"It used to be your problem. You used to care about me like that." Jeonghan said, hoping against hope that Seungcheol would tell him that he still did care.

"That was before you broke my heart. I used to care about you because I felt like I knew you. But ever since that night, I feel like I never did. That everything was just a lie."

"What if I told you that I lied to you that night? That I didn't mean any of it?" Jeonghan tried.

"I wouldn't believe you." Seungcheol replied. "Oh and just for the record, you were right. I do have other people in my life now. People that have actually stuck by me through my ups and downs and have never once lied to me. I even have someone that I've realized I love more than anything else in this world." Seungcheol continued, ripping an open wound in Jeonghan with his words.

"Even more than me?" Jeonghan asked, not knowing why he was doing this to himself when he knew the answer was just going to hurt him even more.

"Especially more than you." Seungcheol replied.

Jeonghan couldn't take it anymore and he took a deep breathe before he stepped away from Seungcheol, wanting to leave before the other could see the tears that were threatening to fall from his frustrated eyes. He didn't know what he wanted to accomplish from this encounter but it certainly wasn't this. If anything, he had just made things worse between him and Seungcheol and that just left him feeling angry. Angry at the world for how things turned out and angry at Seungcheol for moving on and not wanting him back. And most of all, Jeonghan was angry at himself for the pain he felt in his heart after hearing Choi Seungcheol's cold words.

Words that played in head until he eventually cried himself to sleep, only to be haunted by the memories of what they once used to be.

 


A/N: This took a while to write but it's finally done! I'm not even gonna go over this to check for any mistakes bc it's complete crap lol (I feel like I wasn't able to convey what I had planned for this chapter but nothing I did made it work...) :/

Anyway, please leave a comment to let me know what you guys thought. And as always, thank you so much for taking the time to read this chapter! Until next time!!