Chapter 3

It's Still Only You

"It's a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Choi Seungcheol."

 

Jeonghan was left staring at the other with his mouth hanging slightly open in disbelief. This had to be some kind of joke. There was no way this was his ex-boyfriend. He was slightly taller than Jeonghan remembered. More built. And where was the brown hair that he used to dye and style himself that made the other look like a typical college jock? No, this person looked nothing like the man Jeonghan knew six years ago. And yet at the same time, he was everything Jeonghan remembered and more...better. His facial features were more defined and handsome but they still held the softness that Jeonghan often thought resembled that of a cute puppy. His stance was still the same, tall but not intimidating. But what really confirmed it for Jeonghan was his smile when he greeted everyone. It just as genuine as the one Seungcheol had offered him when they had first met their freshman year at a small bookstore. Jeonghan had dreams about that smile too, yearning to see it once again. But now that his wish had been granted, all he felt was regret.

"Choi Seungcheol! It's nice to meet you too. I do hope I'll be seeing more of you in the future through this merger." Mr. Shim said, bringing Jeonghan out of his thoughts.

"I do too sir. Hopefully this merger will be a success and both our companies will benefit greatly from it." Seungcheol replied as he shook the man's hand.

"Oh my dear boy. You look so young. You must be in your early 20's." Mrs. Shim said as Seungcheol held out his hand to shake hers.

"Actually, I'm 26, ma'am. But thank you for the compliment." Seungcheol said with an embarrassed chuckle which made Jeonghan's heart stop for a moment.

"Still, you're 6 years younger than my own son and you're already the CEO of large corporation. That's very impressive." Mrs. Shim continued but apparently Jae didn't like that little remark because he coughed rather obnoxiously to get Seungcheol's attention on him.

It was at that moment that Jeonghan felt his stomach drop. Not only was Jae silently trying to compete with Seungcheol, but with Seungcheol looking right back at him, there was no way the other didn't notice him standing next to Jae. All Jeonghan could do was keep his gaze down and ignore the flash of recognition that came across Seungcheol's face.

"Choi Seungcheol. It's nice to meet you. If things go well with this merger then it's quite possible that you and I will be working together, seeing that I am going to inherit this company as soon as my father retires." Jae said but Seungcheol didn't reply, still staring at Jeonghan in shock. Jae seemed to misinterpret the look and assumed that this was just another man appreciating Jeonghan's beauty which caused him to smirk. He always loved making people envy him so he put a hand on the small of Jeonghan's back and tried to pull the other closer. "And I must introduce you to my lovely wife, Shim Jeonghan."

"Yoon Jeonghan. And I've told you before not to call me your wife. I'm a man." Jeonghan corrected him in a sharp tone, completely embarrassed at how Jae introduced him.

"What's the difference? You're more beautiful than any woman I've ever seen. You may as well be my wife." Jae said at he tried to run his fingers through Jeonghan's long locks but Jeonghan pulled away, a clear and blatant rejection from the gesture.

"Jae, please. Not here." Jeonghan said in a hushed tone but everyone at the table heard him. Jae's face became red after that and Jeonghan wasn't sure if it was because of the slight humiliation or the anger of being rejected in front of others and he gave Jeonghan a look that said we'll-talk-about-this-later before he turned to face Seungcheol again and gave a forced smile.

"Sorry about that. My spouse can be quite moody. I think he forgets his place sometimes."

"Actually, I think he knows exactly where he stands. I think it's very admirable when someone speaks out about what they are comfortable with and when something is not okay. You should do better to listen to your...husband's wishes." Seungcheol said while looking directly at Jeonghan. Jeonghan's eyes were wide while Jae's face just continued to grow red.

Had Seungcheol just defended him? Against Jae? Jeonghan couldn't help the flutter that erupted in his stomach and he had to fight back the feeling in fear of it leading to something dangerously close to hope. Seungcheol was just like he remembered, always standing up for those when he saw fit and always looking out for Jeonghan. And most importantly, he was nothing like Jae and that made him all the more alluring. It really wasn't fair because everything put together made all those feelings that Jeonghan had forced away years ago come right back up to the surface and it was becoming so painful for Jeonghan because he couldn't act on them. At least not with Jae standing right next to him. Maybe after the dinner? Jeonghan could definitely sneak away and find a moment to be alone with Seungcheol. That would work. After all, a moment was all he needed.

And with that, Jeonghan was already formulating a plan on how he could get a moment to be alone with his ex. They would meet and Jeonghan would apologize for his stupidity all those years ago and then Seungcheol would wrap his arms around him and tell him that everything was okay. Then they would share a heated kiss and Seungcheol would invite him back to his car, where they would have in the back seat, because waiting to get to Seungcheol's place would take far too long for the reunited couple. Then, after a round or two, Seungcheol would look Jeonghan in the eyes and tell him to stay. And Jeonghan would. Everything else would disappear and they would finally have their happily ever after. Yes. That sounded absolutely perfect.

Although Jeonghan was brought out of his beautiful daydream when he heard Seungcheol calling his name. 

"Yoon Jeonghan, was it? It's a pleasure to meet you." Seungcheol said, offering his hand for Jeonghan to shake.

Jeonghan took a moment to respond, only after getting over the fact that Seungcheol acted like this was their first time meeting and then concluding that it would make things less awkward to play along. And when he took the other's hand to greet and he felt Seungcheol slightly squeeze his in a firm handshake he had to bite back a sound of pleasure from the added pressure, remembering what those hands used to feel like as they ran all over his body. God he needed to control himself or he'd never make it through the dinner. 

After that, they all sat down and ordered their food, everyone making small talk while they waited for the waiter to come back with their food.

"So Seungcheol," Jae started, "Which school did you graduate from?"

"I finished both my undergrad and graduate degrees at Seoul National University."

"What a coincidence. Jeonghan was enrolled at SNU for his undergrad." Jae said.

"Really? How interesting." Seungcheol replied, acting like he didn't already know that. He tried to catch Jeonghan's eyes and when he couldn't his eyes fell down until he saw the ring on Jeonghan's left hand. "So, how long have the two of you been together?"

Jeonghan's eyes went wide and he quickly hid his hands in his lap under the table, trying to hide his wedding ring even though he knew Seungcheol already knew he was married. . His marriage was definitely not something he wanted to discuss.

"5 and half years." Jae said, almost proudly.

"Wow....5 and a half years?" Was Seungcheol's only response as he looked back at Jeonghan again, making the other wish the ground would swallow him whole. "You must have been very young, Jeonghan-sshi" The use of formalities felt like a punch to Jeonghan's gut and suddenly his perfect daydream of sneaking away with the other felt more and more impossible.

"Actually, he was 20 at the time. But Jeonghan and I had known each other for years before then and I guess we've always had a...connection. He went away for college for his first few years but then he came home from university one day and accepted my proposal. It was a dream come true. For the both of us." Jae answered, seeing that Jeonghan chose to stay silent since they had all started talking.

"Sounds like a fairy tale. You both must be happy." Seungcheol said rather flatly. And for some reason, the tone that Seungcheol was using hurt Jeonghan even more. Mostly because Jeonghan couldn't tell what the other meant by his words. Was Seungcheol angry? Jealous? Or was he actually happy for their marriage? Had he completely moved on over the years and now he was truly happy at the thought of Jeonghan finding happiness with another? Or maybe Seungcheol just didn't care about the person that had ripped his heart out and left him for another just a few months after their break up. The thought hurt but it was definitely a possibility.

Eventually, their food had arrived and they moved on from the topic of marriage and relationships so that the whole table could start talking about what they were really there for: the merger between Shim Corp. and Sebong International.

Most of the time Jeonghan really didn't really care for the conversations. These business dinner were all the same in his opinion, both sides negotiating terms that would help their own respective company while also making sure that either side wasn't trying to take advantage of the other. Both parties were laying out whatever they could that would benefit the other, trying to convince each other that this was a good idea and then eventually coming up with a plan on how exactly to combine their companies for a project. Shim Corp. focused on products and manufacturing while Sebong International was a huge tech company that was quickly rising in the industry and highly respected. It was clear how Shim Corp. would benefit from the joining of their companies, but Mr. Shim and Jae had quite a bit of convincing to do to prove to Seungcheol and Eric that merging their companies would be worth the time, money and effort spent into making it happen. And Seungcheol and Eric, being the generous men that they were, offered to go through one project as a test run to see how things would work out and if an official merger would be worth it to which the Shim's eagerly agreed. Next was the planning of dates and meetings, something Jeonghan had no choice but to pay attention to since he was the one in charge of making sure Jae would actually be there, and finally it was on to legal matters.

"I'll contact my legal representative and have him get in touch with yours so that they can come up with a contract that follows all of our terms and agreements, as well as other legal issues that we may have forgotten to go over just now." Seungcheol said.

"That sounds good." Mr Shim said before turning towards Eric. "You did good with this one, Eric. He'll do a fine job with running your company." The man said, everyone knew he was just kissing up so all Seungcheol and Eric could do was force a laugh and agree.

"Thank you. That's why I picked Seungcheol myself. Took the boy under my wing when he was just an intern and I groomed him into the business man he is today. That's why I have no doubt that Seungcheol will be more than successful in the future." Eric said, patting Seungcheol on the back and staring at him fondly.

"Thank's Eric." Seungcheol said with a shy smile, Jeonghan's heart doing flips again at just the sight.

Eventually they all got back to small talk, Jeonghan finally joining in on the conversations until about 10 minutes in when Seungcheol had to excuse himself for a phone call. It was then that Jae confronted Jeonghan about his behavior earlier on in the night. 

"What was that?" Jae asked.

"What was what? You'll have to be more clear, Jae. I can't read your mind." Jeonghan replied.

"Don't play dumb. You know exactly what I'm talking about. What was all of that bull earlier? You're supposed to make me look good and instead you made me look like an in front of our future business partners."

"Well if you don't want to look like an in front of other people then maybe you shouldn't act like one."

"Jeonghan." Jae said in a warning tone.

"I'm serious. You know I hate it when you address me as your wife like I'm a damn woman. I may have long hair but that doesn't make me any less of a man. I have some self respect Jae, and I'm tired of you talking about me like that. Especially when I'm right next to you."

"Self respect? Don't make me laugh. If you had any self respect then we both know you wouldn't be wearing that pretty little band around your ring finger. People with self respect don't marry others for their money. But don't worry babe. I still love you, even though you're nothing but a gold digging little-"

"Jae!" Jeonghan whispered in a harsh tone. "Not here. Please. We can continue this conversation at home."

"Why? Afraid that that Choi Seungcheol will come back and hear everything? You know, you did seem to act differently as soon as he showed up...why?" Jae asked.

"You told me to behave myself. I was just being polite." Jeonghan tried.

"No....you acted quiet and you kept watching him when you thought no one else was looking. I'm not an idiot Jeonghan. Do you know him?"

"No. This was the first time I've met the guy." Jeonghan lied but Jae didn't buy it.

"Really? Because you both went to the same school. You really expect me to believe that you two don't know each other?"

"SNU is a huge school with an extremely large campus. So it doesn't matter that we both went there because I've never met him before. And even if I have, it was probably years ago and I don't remember...Look can we drop this? If you keep interrogating me like this, you're going to create a scene which I'm sure you don't want to do, especially here and now."

Jae agreed to let the topic go with a sip of his wine before he turned his attention towards the others at the table, waiting for an opportunity to in and praise himself. Jeonghan just sighed and looked off to the side while he stared at his own glass and downed it before he called a waiter over for a refill. Another 7 minutes had past and Seungcheol still had not returned. Jeonghan contemplated looking for the other, thinking that it would be a good excuse to find Seungcheol and finally be alone with him, when he saw the raven haired man return to the table as he put his phone away.

"Sorry about that." Seungcheol said as he sat back down. "What did I miss?"

"Nothing much. But who was that on the phone? Was it from the company?" Eric asked.

"Nah, it was just Woozi. He said he's sorry for missing the dinner but that he should be here in another few minutes." Seungcheol replied.

"That's really not necessary." Eric said.

"That's what I kept telling him. I mean he has enough on his plate but he was insistent on coming here and at least showing his face to our new business partners."

"That kid is always overworking himself."

"I know. But you can't help but to love the guy." Seungcheol said with a grin.

Who's Woozi? Jeonghan thought, not meaning to eavesdrop on the conversation but not being able to help himself as Seungcheol spoke about this person with a look of fondness. That same look that Seungcheol used to have when he spoke about Jeonghan. Which made Jeonghan wonder even more. Who was this Woozi?

But Jeonghan didn't have to wait long for his answer because not 5 minutes later, a rather short man with platinum blonde hair (that almost looked a little green) was escorted towards the table. He was cute with his well polished suit and his hair slightly parted. He had a bit of a baby face which only added to his attractive appearance. Jeonghan could only guess this man was Woozi when Seungcheol immediately stood up and hugged the man, a little longer than what was necessary in Jeonghan's opinion, and then they both turned towards everyone to introduce the new guest.

"Hello everyone, my name is Lee Jihoon, but you can call me Woozi. I work just under Seungcheol and I look forward to working with you all." He said before bowing slightly.

"Yeah, he would've been here a lot sooner but he likes to keep himself busy." Seungcheol joked.

"It's not my fault the nanny canceled and so your son needed to be taken care of."

Son? Seungcheol had a son? Seungcheol was with someone? And suddenly, Jeonghan's dream about running away with Seungcheol seemed to shatter. 

"You could've called someone else to look after him." Seungcheol said

"I don't trust anyone else!" Woozi said, as if he was scolding Seungcheol for even suggesting the idea. "Really, you and your son are hopeless."

"And that's why we have youu." Seungcheol replied, using his cute antics that Jeonghan remembers being used on him a little to well.

"Excuse me, but...who are you?" Jeonghan couldn't stop himself from asking.

"Oh, I'm Woozi. The Vice President of Sebong International." Woozi replied.

"Woozi, you know you're more than that." Seungcheol said before turning to face Jeonghan and the others with a bright smile.

"Woozi is my partner."

 


A/N: Chapter 3!!! We finally met Woozi! I love him so much lol

Anyways, what do you guys think about the chapter? What do you think Woozi and Seungcheol's relationship is? And what are your thoughts about Jae? Also, who else feels bad for Jeonghan? LOL (I love my boys but I also love making them suffer) Let me know in the comments!!

And yeah...thanks again for reading and I hope you all enjoyed!