Chapter Two

The Blackout
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early the next morning, Gunwoo woke up cold, glancing over at Woohyun, who was sleeping soundly next to him. The younger man was snoring lightly, something Gunwoo had learned to expect and it was a form of comfort to him. The absense of that light sound had caused him many fitful nights, and he had to admit that it was very nice being close to him again. He wanted to stay forever, but the restroom was calling his name very loudly, so he stood up, making his way across the cold floor to leave the room. He closed the door as quietly as possible, trying his best to not wake Woohyun.

 

The cabin was very dark and cold, and he found that it was somewhat creepy, too. This was definitely not the type of vacation he would have picked, and wouldn't have even gone if it hadn't been for Myungsoo begging him. He smiled to himself as he washed his hands. This was a good opportunity, and if they both made an effort, this could be worth it. On top of that, it was kind of fun to get out in nature, even if it was cold. The fresh air was nice and refreshing.

 

Walking to the kitchen, he smiled when he found both Insoo and Seyong already getting breakfast ready. He cocked his head, waching as Insoo was having problems lighting the oven, with an entire cookie sheet of biscuits sitting on the stove, ready to go in.

 

"The electricity's out," Seyong grinned at him, his brightness casting a light on the situation. "Insoo is determined to light the oven, though. I keep telling him that we don't need busciuts," he shrugged, watching his boyfriend.

 

Before Gunwoo could reply, Insoo turned around, casting an impatient look at Seyong. "It's not about the ing buscuits, Seyong. It's about nothing around here wanting to work properly! What the hell was Myungsoo thinking? This place ."

 

Seyong shook his head, rolling his eyes, his smile having vanished, along with his patience. "First of all, I don't appreciate your accusation of nagging a minute ago, when I was just trying to help you! Secondly, Myungsoo didn't have to be nice enough to invite us to go. It's a vacation from work, and I, for one, am going to enjoy it. Especially if you decide to have a better attitude about it. We can just go outside and treat this like a camping trip instead!"

 

Insoo froze, looking between Seyong and Gunwoo. He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "You're right, Seyongie. Having the electricity out isn't the end of the world, and it'll still be a good vacation." He finally gave up on trying to light the oven, walking over to kiss his grinning boyfriend instead. "I'm sorry," he offered quietly, smiling when it was readily accepted.

 

"Well, the stove still works, so we can make something on it instead, right?" Gunwoo smiled, happy to have peace in the kitchen again.

 

"Yeah, we can. We have other things that can be cooked on the stove and I'm sure the electricity won't be off forever," Insoo agreed with him, pulling the dough off of the cookie sheet and placing them back into the bowl, settling for eggs and bacon instead.

 

As Insoo began cooking, Gunwoo thought about the situation. In a rural place like this, it couldn't be too uncommon for the electricity to go out, but he coudln't help but feel something ominous nagging at the back of his mind. Maybe he was just being paranoid from the dream he had the night before, and the white eyes that seemed to bore into his very soul, but something definitely felt off here.

 

Once the others joined them, they all ate breakfast of eggs and bacon, and afterword, Myungsoo lit the over pilot, explaining that it was run on gas, instead of electric, so they could still use it. He also advised everyone to leave it on and open, so they had heat and an oven for later. It seemed to work out very well, and they all went about the day, hiking and enjoying nature. Gunwoo took that time to speak with Woohyun, and he noticed that the short young man was less icy toward him, engaging in a normal conversation. As long as they stayed away from their past, everything was fine. Gunwoo was very happy to reconnect with him, rebuilding from this point on. The weather was beginning to become more chilly by the end of the day, and when they got back to the house, Seyong insisted on playing one of the board games he had brought with him, breaking the shattering the cracked ice as they enjoyed one another's company and drank beer. Despite the lack of electricity, they found that they could have a great time together.

 

That night after dinner, Gunwoo caught Woohyun as he was coming out of the restroom, motioning toward the bedroom. Woohyun paused, then nodded and followed him into their shared bedroom.

 

"What's up?" Woohyun cut to the chase, sitting down on the bed.

 

Gunwoo took a moment, changing his shirt before answering, chosing his words carefully. "Today was nice. I hadn't realized how much I had missed you until today. I shouldn't have dropped things off like that, and now I'm kicking myself for losing you because of it. I'm sorry I was such a failure to you."

 

Woohyun nodded, tracing the plaid pattern on the bedspread. "Well, I failed, too, because I could have stayed in touch better. Once we got into that last big fight, I kind of stopped trying, and that was wrong of me. I should never have stopped."

 

There was a longer pause than before, and Gunwoo's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter