Chapter Three

The Blackout
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They made it back to the cabin, closing the door before any of the wasps were able to slip in. Insoo made sure everyone was inside before looking out the window. His heart was beating fast as he saw the angry swarm approaching the cabin, buzzing around the edges and trying to get in. He had never seen anything like this, but he knew it definitely wasn't normal bug behavior. Seyong and Gunwoo had been right about something strange happening here, but they were now safely inside, so they didn't have anything to worry about.

 

Turning to the others, he noticed that Woohyun was rubbing his arm where he had been stung by the wasp, and now that he looked at it more closely, he noticed that it was turning into a red, ugly welt. Glancing at Gunwoo, he grimanced. "Get something cold on that, okay? If anyone else got stung, do the same. Check yourselves over to make sure, since we don't need anyone getting sick."

 

"Yes, sir," Seyong answered him dryly, only half-way joking, this time.

 

While Insoo was focused on the others, Sungjong peered out the window, noticing that the buzzing had stopped. His eyes widened as he noticed why. Instead of wasps, there were now red and black creatures about the size of house cats, walking around outside the house, their eyes shining in the sunlight. One of them looked straight at him, its eyes silver and gleaming, sending chills down his spine. It opened its mouth, showing razor-sharp fangs, its lips as it stared at him. "Guys, these aren't wasps anymore. They're..." Sungjong shook his head, unsure whether he should be afraid or fascinated. They had simply transformed! "I don't know. They're something else." he was surprised at how calm his own voice was, still amazed at the sight before him.

 

"What do you mean, Sungjong?" Seyong walked over, gasping at the sight. "Holy ! Okay, it's a good thing we came in. That's ing creepy!"

 

Sungjong opened his mouth to reply, but stopped when Woohyun screamed in pain, his face draining of color as he reeled from agony. Gunwoo cursed out loud, staring at him and unsure of what to do. It now seemed like the cool rag wasn't enough, as the poison began to course throughout his entire body.

 

"I'm sorry," Woohyun sobbed, his body wracked in pain. "I shouldn't have run."

 

Shhh..." Gunwoo pulled him close, feeling hot tears burning his eyes. He felt stupid for not telling anyone about his dreams sooner. Now his hesitance could cost him more than he had ever imagined. "You didn't do anything wrong. It stung you before you ran, stupid. Just try to stay calm, love." While he was calming Woohyun, Gunwoo could feel that he himself was shaking, but from an entirely different kind of pain.

 

"What are we supposed to do about this?" Myungsoo had gone over to the window, staring at the creatures and fighting the ridiculous urge to photograph the strange creatures. He knew that if one managed to get inside, it could kill them.

 

"Well, I guess there's nothing we can do right now," Sungjong grinned at him grimly, glancing at the camera. "I'd say just go ahead and take pictures. It's not like we can do anything else right now."

 

His boyfriend shrugged, taking out his camera to sate his morbid curiosity and urge to photograph anything and everything in the world. As he was taking photos, Myungsoo noticed something else come into view. A short, stocky man in a grey hoodie moved toward the creatures, holding his hands out as a mist began emitting from him. The creatures hissed at him, shrinking away. The man continued to go after them, killing the creatures as they breathed in the fumes. Myungsoo almost dropped his camera, shocked by the actions. The supernatural power coming from him was helping them in a way he never would have thought possible, and it was amazing. As he watched, the creatures began to flee, transforming back into their wasp forms and flying away. Soon, the entire area was clear, except for the strange man.

 

Glancing at the others, he smiled at Sungjong. "There's someone out there chasing off the creatures. It's pretty incredible!"

 

Sungjong stared at him, reading the curious look on his face, but shaking his head. "No, no. Don't do it, babe. Don't go out there..."

 

"I'll be back, I promise," he replied, kissing Sungjong and handing him his camera before grabbing a knife and walking out into the cold.

 

Once outside, he walked over to the man cautiously. "Hi. I saw what you did just now. I have to admit that it was pretty incredible!" He grinned at the man, but took a step back when the man turned to him. His eyes were solid white, except for the black pupils, contrasting with his tan skin.

 

"Ah. Humans and their curiosity," he sighed, a small smile playing on his full lips. "I guess I should give you a point for your bravery, though...then deduct it for stupidity." He stared at Myungsoo, noticing that the human male wasn't afraid of him.

 

"Do you have answers to what happened here?" Myungsoo asked him, feeling just a tiny bit nervous now. "Thank you for what you did here, too. They're all gone, right? Who are you?"

 

The man laughed, his voice rough. "You're still kind of stupid. They aren't all dead, and if I wasn't here, they would be attacking you right now. I need to care for your friend...or he'll die within an hour," he glanced toward the house before turning back to Myungsoo. "Will they let me in? I'm his only chance at surviving this."

 

Myungsoo paused, then nodded. "Yeah, you can come in. You have to tell us what's going on here, though. Who are you?" He repeated his previous question.

 

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter