final.

An Unlikely Encounter
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]An Unlikely Encounter[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Rainforests and jaguars, what could make a better summer vacation?[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]Chanyeol let out a sigh as he watched the small plane fly off into the air, leaving him and a few others in part of the Amazon Rainforest. The humid air made him grateful for having worn thin clothes and a hat. He adjusted his backpack, lifted up his luggage and began the small trek through the trees with the others who were going to be staying in the same camp as him.

"Why uncle, why?" he groaned to himself. It was after all, because of his uncle that he was even here, in the Amazon, so very far away from home. If he died from being mauled, strangled or poisoned, then it would all be his uncle's fault.

And no, though Chanyeol was whining and rather disgruntled like a teenager, he was actually a very capable young man in his mid-twenties who was just too much of a workaholic. Hence why his uncle decided that the best solution was to send him to the Amazon for a vacation which was really just a nicer way of saying, you need some nature in your life, so I'm gonna send you half way around the world, a number of continents away to a rainforest that hasn't even completely been explored yet.

Being a city boy had its disadvantages in this situation. Chanyeol was not used the number of bugs, nor was he used to the level of humidity and the quality of the air was pretty different too. Let alone the fear of all the possibly present predatory creatures roaming amongst the trees which was slowly beginning to consume Chanyeol's mind as he reached the campsite.

He tried to shake that feeling off though, and when he was told that they would be given that day to get a bit more settled and relax as they pleased, Chanyeol was both grateful and a bit worried since he barely knew anyone else who was at this campsite. Don't get him wrong, Chanyeol was a social person, but with a quick glance around, he could see that the others had come in pairs or in threes at least.

 

 

It was the first dinner for the group so it was a joint one, one made for them by the campsite hosts. It was so everyone knew who was at the campsite and so they wouldn't all just be strangers for their stay. Chanyeol was able to make small talk with a lot of the people there. Some of them were adventurous people wanting to explore, some were there to get away and a couple were there for work. Overall though, they were some people that Chanyeol knew he wouldn't be able to get all too close with, not because they were not a likeable lot of people, it was more because he felt a lot less comfortable around them. Something amiss with the connection with him.

Going to sleep that night was a little difficult, but at some point, he felt an odd wave of calmness wash over him and he was able to fall asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

It was a few days into the getaway that Chanyeol decided he wanted to explore the surrounding forest. The camp instructors had been clear that the immediate forest around the campsite was safe to explore, but it was a forest so they had to be aware of their surroundings at all times. As Chanyeol ventured down one the paths that had been made for the campers to follow, he couldn't help but wonder how he spent so much time cooped up in an office five to six days a week just for work. It felt strange, even after only a few days.

It was cliche, but Chanyeol broke out of his thoughts and only then realised that he was no longer on the path. He panicked for a moment but told himself to calm down since it wouldn't exactly help panicking in a forest. He looked around, only to think that no matter which direction he looked, the trees seemed to be playing a trick on him - they all looked the same.

He was hesitant to take a step in any direction since there was a chance that he was taking steps further away from the camp rather than back towards it.

"It's okay, Chanyeol. No need to panick," he muttered to himself.

"There really is no need to panick."

Chanyeol was a tall guy, but even he nearly jumped several feet into the air when he heard another voice speak after him.

"Turn around silly," the voice spoke again - and if Chanyeol wasn't mistaken, the owner of the voice sounded rather amused.

Following the directions, Chanyeol turned around and was faced with a figure crouching on top of one of the many low lying branches. "Who... are you?" he asked. Chanyeol hadn't been all too great with socialising, but he was sure that he remembered all of the faces from the camp by now and this person definitely wasn't part of the group.

"Oh, I am part of the supervisors of the camp, but I'm not in charge of being so much on the campsite... more like the surrounding areas. Keep an eye out for any dangers," the figure explained, "Or any lost campers," he said, gesturing to Chanyeol. Jumping down with an odd amount of grace, the other male walked up to Chanyeol and held out a hand for a handshake, "My name is Baekhyun."

The taller found the other a lot less scary and pretty cute up close. "Chanyeol," he introduced himself, shaking the other's hand.

"I would say that I hope to see you around, but I would rather hope that you are safe and within the perimeters and not in danger," Baekhyun chuckled, releasing the other's hand and taking a step back, "But, it would be nice to see you again, Chanyeol."

"Chanyeol!"

The said man turned around and was confused since he was back on the campsite, at the start of the path he had been on. He turned back forward but Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen. Was he just hallucinating? He jumped slightly when he felt a hand on his arm and turned back around to face the campsite, and the person who had called out to him, "Oh, hey, Minseok," he greeted, smiling to the shorter man - and trying not to seem so crazy.

"Hey, Jongdae and I were wondering if you wanted to join us for dinner later," Minseok explained and patted Chanyeol's shoulder, "Let us know, yeah?"

"Of course," Chanyeol nodded and then watched as the other left his side. Before he went back to his own cabin though, Chanyeol made sure to look around again to see if he could spot Baekhyun.

But of course, no one else was around.

 

 

 

 

 

There was no real set time that Chanyeol's uncle had sent him on this trip for, but it was implied that he could only be gone from the company for a maximum of about three weeks before he was needed back in his position. It was already well into the second week of his stay and Chanyeol understood why his uncle wanted him to get out of the city so badly. Being in such a high stress environment wasn't good for anyone's health in the long run, and Chanyeol had forgotten about that.

His body had never been as relaxed, and his mind

Please log in to read the full chapter