Saida and Confessing

Falling

Dahyun glanced at the clock. It was close to midnight, but they were still in the studio. Sana was the last person to model for the photoshoot. And so, the rest of TWICE waited (im)patiently in the lounge. Momo was at the small counter by the fridge, downing a handful of snacks. Mina had her head on Chaeyoung's shoulder, and was sleeping peacefully while Chaeyoung browsed the internet on her phone. Nayeon was also sleeping, but her face didn't appear as elegant as Mina's. Of course, Jeongyeon had noticed, so she had her phone camera out to take pictures to put in her "Nayeon" album. Jihyo and Tzuyu were busy watching a K-Drama. Jihyo had watched the drama before, so she was busy explaining things to Tzuyu, who never did seem to understand anyway. Everyone seemed occupied with something; and then there was Dahyun. She sat perched on the edge of the couch, like a statue. She was stuck. Because her mind was still on that kiss and all that Sana had said to her.

It had already been a few hours since the "incident". No matter how hard she tried to calm herself, her heart was still beating rapidly inside her chest. It really was too much for her. Because her mind had taken in two very overwhelming pieces of information at the same time: 1) Sana loved her and 2) she loved Sana.

Sana loved her. Okay, that was something Dahyun never considered. Call her dense, but it was very true. So the truth hit her like a boulder shot from a catapult. Although, when they got ice-cream, Sana had claimed that the tender interaction her and Dahyun shared was "more than okay", Dahyun still found that hard to believe. Only now, the context was different. She understood that Sana wasn't content with their relationship at the time. She wanted more. That's why she cried in the beginning; because she wanted more and she believed that Dahyun wouldn't give her that.

Dahyun couldn't blame her for believing that way. She rarely would give Sana the kind of attention that she wanted. At the same time, although the feeling of love had been lingering in Dahyun's heart for a long while now, it had been hidden so very well by Dahyun's uneasy mind. So neither of them would have known that Dahyun loved her back.

After hearing Sana's confession, Dahyun's mind finally processed the feeling in her heart. And Dahyun knew that that feeling had been there since the day she met Sana.

Since the day she met Sana, her heart would leap at Sana's smiles. Her heart sank when she had disappointed Sana and even made her cry. When Sana performed, Dahyun would find herself subconsciously smiling. When Sana passed by, Dahyun would find herself subconsciously following her with her eyes. When Sana spoke, Dahyun would find herself subconsciously walking towards that sweet sound. But her mind refused to process these reactions as anything more than admiration.

Days passed, and the feeling in Dahyun's heart remained clouded by her mind's judgment. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, months turned to years. As her heart continued to grow anxious at anything Sana related, her mind grew more and more uneasy. She associated these feelings with nothing good. What was good was her and Sana's relationship as sisters. So whenever Dahyun's heart would react unexpectedly, Dahyun hated it. Because it interfered with the goodness of their current relationship.

When Sana confessed that she loved someone, Dahyun's heart sank. But again, she tried to ignore this dramatic reaction.

When Sana avoided her, Dahyun's heart sank below ground level. But again, she tried to ignore this dramatic reaction.

When Sana mended their friendship, Dahyun's heart lifted. But again, she tried to ignore this dramatic reaction.

When Sana kissed her...

When Sana confessed her love for her...

Dahyun's heart couldn't take anymore. It was as if her heart leaped from her chest to her brain and shook it to gather its senses.

Now, her brain told her to fix everything. She had to fix Sana's heart, which had cried for her love. She had to fix whatever lingered between her and Sana.

~~~

Dahyun and Chaeyoung sat on the floor in the middle of their dorm room. They were playing cards. Tzuyu sat on her bed, her eyes glued to the screen of her laptop. It was that K-Drama that Jihyo dragged her into watching.

"No matter how many times I watch this episode over and over again, I just don't understand," Tzuyu frowned, "This guy's in love with her, why doesn't he just confess?"

Chaeyoung chuckled, "Because it's a K-Drama and confessing right away would make it less romantic. She's gotta fall for him first."

"And confessing's hard anyway," Dahyun added.

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu looked at Dahyun, their faces showing some bewilderment.

"Are you speaking from experience, Dahyun-unnie?" Tzuyu asked.

"Yeah man, spill the deets," Chaeyoung commanded.

"Uhhh..." Dahyun scratched the back of her head shyly.

"Are you in love with someone?" Chaeyoung asked.

There was a moment of silence before Dahyun responded, "I'm think I'm in love with Sana-unnie."

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu exchanged glances. Then, at the same time, they said, "About time."

Dahyun furrowed her eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Chaeyoung shrugged, "Only that it's about time you told us you loved her."

"I only realized that a few days ago, you know."

Tzuyu tilted her head, "So, you haven't been in love with her this whole time?"

"Well yeahhh," Dahyun sighed, "I mean... I've probably been in love with her for forever but I only realized that it was love recently."

Chaeyoung laughed, causing Dahyun to scratch her head in confusion. "You didn't know you were in love with her?" Tzuyu asked.

"Okay wait," Dahyun waved her hands between them, "How are you guys not surprised by this at all?"

"It's not like you make it obvious. I see how you look at Sana like she's a walking goddess," Chaeyoung said matter-of-factly.

"I'm obvious?!" Dahyun asked, sincerely worried that maybe other people knew that she was in love with Sana before even she knew.

"Well, to me," Chaeyoung said, shrugging.

Dahyun squinted at Chaeyoung, who wouldn't return the eye contact and kept her eyes on the floor between them. "Ahh," Dahyun smirked, "You notice because I look at Sana-unnie the way you look at Mina-unnie~."

Tzuyu stifled a laugh while Chaeyoung slapped Dahyun's shoulder, "It's not like that!"

Dahyun only laughed as Chaeyoung continued to frown at her.

"Anyway!" Chaeyoung exclaimed, "So why tell us?"

Dahyun shrugged, "You're my best friends and you deserve to know these things."

Tzuyu raised an eyebrow, "And?"

"I need your help," Dahyun admitted.

"I thought you'd never ask!" Chaeyoung exclaimed, "So you need my help. With what specifically?"

Tzuyu cleared , "Our help. She needs our help."

Chaeyoung waved her hand as if brushing her off, "Yeah, whatever."

"I need help with everything," Dahyun said.

Chaeyoung sighed, "That doesn't help me."

"Well, I guess," Dahyun paused, "I need advice."

"Well, you went to the right person, my friend!" Chaeyoung exclaimed, lightly punching Dahyun's shoulder.

Tzuyu cleared , "The right people."

Chaeyoung ignored her and asked, "Okay, what do you need my advice on?"

"Our."

"Our advice. What do you need our advice one?" Chaeyoung corrected.

"Okay, well," Dahyun sat and contemplated for a bit, "I don't know what to do."

"Um, confess to her?" Chaeyoung said with a sarcastic tone in her voice.

"And then what?"

"And then you guys become a thing."

Dahyun immediately blushed at the thought, causing Chaeyoung to laugh.

"You're so innocent, Dahyun-unnie," Chaeyoung said in between her laughs.

Dahyun pouted, "I'm new to this whole love thing, so..."

"Do you want to become a thing with Sana-unnie?" Tzuyu asked, the sound of her voice sounding sincere.

"I think what I want is for our relationship to at least be established. I feel like I don't know where Sana stands in my life."

"So that's where you're confused," Chaeyoung commented.

"Hence why you replied 'I don't know' when that one fan asked that one question," Tzuyu added.

Dahyun shrugged, "Can I even call her a sister at this point?"

"Hell no," Chaeyoung said, "That's , my friend."

Dahyun scoffed.

"I say you confess," Tzuyu said, "She could either reject you or accept you. If she rejects you, which I doubt, then okay, you can go back to your usual relationship. Just one without any existence of love. Just you guys being sisters. If she accepts you, then you'll establish a new kind of relationship with her. One in which you can call Sana your girlfriend, your lover, your other half, your soulmate, I don't know. But you really need to confess to establish some clear kind of relationship."

Boy was Dahyun's dongsaeng right. Dahyun wanted to confirm who Sana was to her by establishing a clear relationship; only confessing her love would do that.

"Man," Dahyun gasped, "You're really mature when it comes to these things, Tzuyu."

Chaeyoung flipped her hair over her shoulder, "Exactly what I was going to say."

Dahyun smirked, "Only you won't ever confess to Mina-unnie."

"Oh, stop it, will you?!" Chaeyoung exclaimed as she took the nearest pillow and began hitting Dahyun with it.

Dahyun grabbed another pillow to defend herself.

And thus began an epic pillow fight on the floor of the maknaes' dorm room. Tzuyu only sat on the bed and watched.

"I understand now," Tzuyu suddenly said.

Dahyun and Chaeyoung both stopped to look at her, their eyebrows raised in confusion.

"I understand why he won't confess."

"Isn't it just as Dahyun said? Confessing is hard?"

Tzuyu shrugged, "Well yeah. But this guy is so confident in himself, which is why that confused me. But... He won't confess because he's afraid of what would happen after. He's not sure whether the girl he likes likes him back. And even if she did, what will become of their relationship?"

There's always that piece of uncertainty that comes with confessing. You don't know how the other person will react. Do they love you back, or would they reject you? Despite this uncertainty, Sana still confessed to Dahyun. No, Sana was under the impression that Dahyun could never like her back. So why did she confess? Because she wanted to change what she believed to be reality. By telling Dahyun that she loved her, there would that speck of hope that Dahyun would reconsider loving her. That's where the uncertainty came in. Did Dahyun choose to love her back post facto? She did, and she needed to tell Sana.

There's yet another uncertainty that comes with confessing. You don't know what your relationship with the other will become after the confession. Even if you knew they loved you, would that immediately mean that you would begin a romantic relationship and then what's done is done? What about what you had before? Would that be more precious to you than a romantic relationship?

Love is a confusing feeling. When you feel it, you fall into a pit of uncertainty. You cry for love, you smile for love. When you love someone, their happiness prevails over your own.

That's what Dahyun wanted. She didn't want a romantic relationship with Sana as much as she wanted to see her happy. And if being in a relationship meant being the one to preserve that happiness then she would confess. Sana's smile won't ever fade if Dahyun was there to protect it for her.

Dahyun knows what Sana wants, and boy will she deliver.

 

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Sorry, there's no Saida interaction in his chapter >.< Just Dahyun trying to figure out her feelings. Oh, and obviously I like Michaeng so I'm sorry to the Chaeyu and Mimo fans (and other ships that include one of the two)! I also can't decide if I like 2yeon or Jeongmo better ughhh. But Saida and Dubchaeng (as a BROTP) all the way!!!

Next chaper may or may not be the last one? I might add more additional chapters as an "afterwards" kinda thing if you want, but the next chapter will still be a conclusion to the story I guess.