Saida to Dahyun

Falling

"Saida."

It's what the fans call us. "Sa" from Sana, and "Da" from my name, Dahyun. And how the "I" that was placed between the two syllables came to be, I don't know. I assumed it was from the "I" in TWICE. Or maybe it was to make the name sound refreshing, like cider.

The name came around during the Sixteen Era. Though, that shouldn't mean that you should assume Sana and I were the best of friends at that time. Our relationship started with a huge setback; I didn't show up to one of the rehearsals, which disappointed Sana to the point where she had been drawn to tears. So, the only thing established between the two of us that very first day was tension. After that, I felt disappointed in myself. I was excited to work with Sana finally, but I ruined it. And moreover, I caused her to cry. I couldn't just let that be. So, I worked harder to make up for my mistake, and to bring the team to victory.

As time passed, tension faded. And as tension faded, a bond grew. Perhaps it was because Sana did forgive me. Or, perhaps it was because I wouldn't stop at trying to make it up to her, and she eventually gave in. In the end, we became close friends. And fans, seemingly in love with the unique dynamic of our friendship, gave us a name: Saida.

It was a funny thing for the fans to do, giving Sana and I a merged name. We didn't think much of it at first. It was cute, so we adopted it. We called ourselves Saida in front of fans, because we knew they liked it. Eventually, we came to like it too.

Saida is my pride and joy. I like going out on stage or in front of a camera and saying "We're Saida." Sana and I, we like to brag about this name that fans gave us to define our relationship. We like that it's something the fans gave us. But especially, we like how it's a symbol of our close friendship. For me, it's a name that will carry meaning for as long as ONCEs have TWICE's backs. And I hope that that's forever.

 

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Yeah, chapters 1 and 3 are short af but they're included to provide background on how Dahyun and Sana view Saida. So please bear with me and thank you!