The Mockingjay got me in trouble

The Hunger Games. Watch Them Die.

That‘s it people, next chapter the Games start and you‘ll see SO MUCH more of Jonghyun and Kai!!

I can‘t wait to get the fun started!

On with the story now.

 

CHAPTER 04

 

“Can‘t they hurry up?” Rew yawns, stretching out her arms over her head. “I’m so tired. Why do they tell us to come so early, then make us wait?”

 

I don’t answer her. Her constant babble is starting to get on my already sensitive nerves. Ever since Leo went through that door, Rew’s been sticking around, talking non-stop. Here I am, with a racing heart, and she is thinking about sleep.

 

The door opens and someone shouts out another tribute’s name. ”Sector Three! Kai Kim!”

 

I turn away from that door, and shut my eyes tightly. My turn is drawing near. Two more people will get called, and then it’s my turn. And I still haven’t come up with anything. What am I going to show the judges?

 

“…the bread, it’s been awful, I don’t eat black bread at home, and- hey, don’t ignore me.” Rew snaps her fingers in front of my face, and I have to open my eyes and meet her irritated gaze. “You look like that rabbit from yesterday. Scared and helpless.”

 

I bite my lip, and turn away from her. She keeps bringing up that bunny, and every time she does, I feel something stir inside of me. I dislike Rew. And the dislike is getting more intense with every second spent with her. This morning, when we were having breakfast, Hector asked Endrew about his alliances. And to my huge surprise Endrew said he was going to the Games on his own. He and other two other tributes, probably the two people he'd been hanging out with, have refused all alliances and decided to go as independent players. It made me think. Maybe I should have done that too. I still can’t shake off that awful feeling that Rew will turn on me as soon as things get rocky.

 

“Come on, stop sulking. You’ll get a One, so and what?” Rew laughs. That nasty squeaky laugh of hers. “You can do nothing about it, so stop being such a scary cat.”

 

I hate how she just assumes I’ll get the lowest score possible. I can feel blood basically boiling in my veins as I rack my brain- over and over- for something I’m good at. Unfortunately, it’s as blank as it was a few moments ago.

 

Time flies by, and when half an hour later the dreadful door opens again, Endrew is called. He leaves the silent room- Rew seems to be the only one who fancies talking today at all- in a confident stride. I feel envious of his cool stance and hard eyes. And sorry that we’re not a team, like two tributes from the same District- Sector, whatever, should be.

 

“You’re next.” Rew laughs hauntingly, watching for my reaction closely.

 

I turn away from her and shut my eyes tightly.

 

She, however, doesn’t get discouraged by my apathy. “Mockingjay… Do you know what that is?”

 

I don’t even know why I force my eyes open and look at her. “Knowing you, something gross.”

 

She laughs,“ No,- yes. Hm, depends on your perspective. During the Dark Times, there used to be birds, named… well, mockingbirds.” She shrugs. ”When the districts rebelled, the Capitol created mutts…”- I’ve heard about the horrible creatures the Capitol created to fight the rebels -“…those mutts could memorize sounds and words and they looked like birds, so the Capitol used them to eaves-drop on the rebels’ plans. The rebels found out about them though, and used the mutts to fool the Capitol. The government got mad and destroyed most of the jabberjays- that’s what the mutts were called. But a few of them survived, and they mated with normal mockingbirds. And mockingjays were created. They’re birds that are supposedly still live in the woods. They can mimic some sounds, too.” She stops and raises her eyebrows, as if daring me to speak up.

 

I stare at her indifferently. The tale left no impression on me. Birds. So and what. “And you’re telling me this, because?...”

 

She smiles a satisfactory smile. “Because, rumor has it…” she drops her voice to a whisper,”…that some decades ago, a girl tried to rebel against the Games. She was a tribute too. And people called her the Mockingjay. She failed, though. Obviously.” She straightens up, finishing her speech in a loud voice. "They don't show that year's Games anymore. The only year they never replay."

 

“Why were you whispering?”

 

She shrugs again.” Because no one is supposed to talk about that. Or know about it.”

 

“A forbidden tale. That’s why you’re so interested in it.”

 

She doesn’t answer, and we spend the next few minutes pondering in silence- me about the Mockingjay legend (and I’m sure it’s a legend. No rebellions have happened as of recently), Rew- about hell knows what.

 

But all too quickly, I hear the same emotionless voice call out another name. This time it’s me.

 

“Sector Four! Saejin Everlast!”

 

I don’t look at anyone when I leave the room.

 

The training center looks awfully ordinary. There are the same areas, the same grey dummies, -though some of them seem heavily damaged now-, and the same pile of weapons. The only difference is that now a long table served with food is lined up next to the wall, and about ten people sit around it, eating and talking in loud, bossy voices. Only a few of them glance up when I enter, then look back at their plates again.

 

I look around, unsure of what to do. Suddenly I’m all too aware of how my thin grey uniform seems to have stuck to my skin. I fidget uncomfortably, waiting for a sign I could start my “performance”, all the while panicking inside- I have nothing to show.

 

But nobody pays me any attention.

 

When I used to watch the announcement of tributes’ scores on the TV- the announcement is always live and if it happens during school or work people are required to drop everything they were doing and watch it- I always imagined the final test as something big and fabulous. I pictured strong and confident tributes coming into a spacious, brightly lit room and finding old, wrinkly judges sitting in elaborate chairs, watching their every move with calculating, vigilant eyes.

 

It was so different from those apathetic faces I’ve encountered.

 

“Excuse me.” I pause, waiting for someone to look at me, but no one as much as spares me a glance. Blood rushes to my cheeks. Do they treat all tributes like that?

 

One Gamemaker laughs loudly at something his neighbor has said as I take a few tentative steps forward and pick up a stray bow. I look around for arrows when a collective laugh from the table makes me look up. The Gamemakers are now cutting a big pink cake. It’s as if I’m not even there. Here I am, in a test that would most likely determine my chance of survival, and they can’t even spare me a minute of their time. They don’t care if I die. Why would they? Would anyone care if I die?

 

Rew’s grinning face emerges in my thoughts, and I feel pure cold rage coming back.

 

I hate Rew. I hate these people. I hate these Games. I go and die, while these ignorant people will continue existing as if nothing had happened. I can picture them letting out cries of joy once the TV shows my body cut into pieces- the more gruesome my death will be, the better shot they’ll get. The thirst, the hunger for blood is strong, they don’t care who dies as long as the blood is shed.

 

The Games aren’t supposed to punish the districts, I realize. They’re supposed to make everyone fear the president and the system. Make them do as they’re told. How are we, Capitolians, better than the Districts? Other than food, we have nothing the districts don’t have. No freedom.

 

Does it really matter if I come out of this alive? Would I be able to continue existing, knowing that 22 people have died just so I could live?

 

I drop the bow. I don’t need arrows anymore. I wouldn’t be able to shoot them anyway. There’s only one thing I’m able to do, and that has nothing to do with any of those weapons.

 

My voice comes out strong and clear. “You are all his puppets.”

 

A few of the Gamemakers look up at me, surprise evident on their faces. The tributes aren’t supposed to talk during these tests. But I have finally gotten some of their attention, and am not going to stop.

 

“What makes you think you’re safe? This could be your daughter standing here right now instead of me.” Now the whole table falls silent as everyone’s eyes fix on me. I feel a cold smile creep up my lips. I don’t care what happens next, I have to get it out.” It could be your daughter. Your daughter could be blown into pieces in that arena. Would you still enjoy it?” My hands start trembling, and I clench them into tight fists. “Bloom tells you to do it, and so you do. And…”I crack my brain for something that would stun them, scare them even. And I’ve got something. “Wait till another Mockingjay raises. What will you and your president do then?”

 

I only have enough time to see shock on their faces, before one of the Gamemakers shoots up from his seat. After a few long strides he’s next to me, clutching my elbow painfully and dragging me out of the room. I try to resist, but he only lets go once we’re outside the room.

 

“What the-“ I start but his sharp gaze silences me. Standing before me is a tall, thin man. And his face is crunched up in a pained expression, like he’s suffering really bad. “What?...” I try again, but he shakes his head.

 

“No. Keep quiet. That was very stupid of you. I don’t know who’s told you about the-“he looks around, probably to make sure we’re alone, and continues in hushed tones” the rebellion, but you’ve just gotten yourself into a big trouble. No, listen” he places a hand in front of my face when I open my mouth, ”I’m the Head Gamemaker. I’ll look out for you. But be careful. And don’t speak of the Mockingjay ever again. You hear me? Never. It might just save your life.”

 

A sound of heavy footsteps makes him stiffen noticeably, and he gives me a push forward. “ Go. I’ll cover for you. Go!” He repeats a little angrily, and this time I listen and take off.

 

I have no idea what I did, but I have a feeling it’s nothing good.

 

That’s what happens when I listen to Rew’s delusional talks.

 

 

 

 

“I’ll get your outfit for the interview ready. It’s an absolutely amazing dress. We’re going for the rose theme again. My assistants are just adding the final touches right now, and it should be ready in half an hour, so you’ll have plenty of time to dress up and…”

 

“The scores!” Rain interrupts Hot’s babble, and points at the huge screen on the wall.” They’re announcing the scores!”

 

I push my plate of half-eaten soup away, feeling like I might throw up any second. Endrew gives me a scrutinizing look, but I refuse to look at anyone. They’ve all been asking me about how I did at my test ever since I got back, but I refused to talk. I can’t tell them, because I don’t know it myself.

 

The table becomes silent; everyone pauses their dinner to take a look at the scores, displayed on the screen. I hear gasps and force myself to look up.

 

The first thing I see is a big, awful 12 next to Jonghyun’s name. I stare at it, a little shocked, but not all that surprised. I’m only wondering what exactly he did to get such a mark. I don’t remember anyone getting a 12- at least not in the games I’ve seen.

 

Not surprisingly, Jonghyun’s the only one to get 12. There’s one guy named Lash who’s got an 11, and someone got a 10…

 

I blink, hoping my eyes are lying.

 

But the letters and numbers are clear.

 

The 10’s next to my name. I scored 10.

 

Hot pats my back, laughing and congratulating me. Rain, in a moment of loose joy, throws her hands around me. Aileena looks dumfounded, while Hector scolds Endrew for getting only 7.

 

I only stare at the screen in pure, wild bewilderment.

 

The 10 is going to make me a target. Everyone will be afraid of Jonghyun and the Lash guy who got 12 and 11, so most tributes will avoid them. I, on the other hand, with my alarmingbut not too high 10, will be dangerous enough to pursue, and possible to kill.

 

I’m the target number One.

 

“Is something wrong, Saejin? You look pale.” Hot says. I can only give him a weak smile.

 

So the Mockingjay is a forbidden topic.

 

 

 

 

The interview is long. They give each tribute four minutes, during which the host asks personal and often embarrassing questions. The tributes are in fabulous dresses and suits once again, trying to outshine their opponents. Even when Leo is talking I feel people stare at me, admiring my dress.

 

Or wondering how such a weak looking creature managed to score a 10.

 

“Ok, let’s move on. Next! Sector Three! Kai Kim! Score 8 and Bembi Oren, score 5.”

 

The black haired guy, Jonghyun’s friend, steps up and sits on one of the elaborate chairs next to the host. Bembi follows suit, and once they’ve settled down, the host asks her a few boring questions about her dress (which is green and sparkles) and her strategy plans (which the basically doesn’t have). Then the host turns to the blackie.

 

“So, Kai. You have scored a nice 8. How do you feel about your score and have you made any alliances, yet?

 

Kai’s face gives nothing away, as he shrugs nonchalantly. “Eight is enough. I have formed an alliance with another person.” His voice is as deep as it was when I first saw him on the opening ceremony. It’s alarming how calm he appears. I use the rare opportunity to study his face. His expression is indifferent, his body relaxed. I take notice of his smooth skin and handsome features- no wonder the crowd goes crazy after his revelation of the alliance. Of course, the girls will sponsor him. Actually, when talking about looks, he could even give Jonghyun a run for his money. And knowing that Jonghyun is the ally Kai is talking about, it’s perfectly clear who the favorites of this year’s Games are.

 

The host seems encouraged by the spectators’ response, so he ignores Bembi’s signs that she has something to say, and keeps his attention on Kai firmly. “The girls seem to love you. Have you made friends with any of the female tributes?”

 

“No,” Kai states boldly. “I haven’t and I don’t plan to.”

 

The crowd goes wild again. As the host starts to ask something else, the timer goes off, signaling the end of Sector 3’s interview. The host accepts defeat and calls for Sector 4.

 

Endrew and me.

 

Surprisingly, I feel quite calm when I make my way and sit at the seat Bembi’s just emptied. I feel everyone’s eyes on me, taking in my face, my hair, the dress I’m wearing. But I’m not nervous. The sweet aroma of the roses on my dress works as a relaxant, and I feel a slow smile creep up my lips. I’m surprising even myself when I give the crowd a tiny wave.

 

And I’m pleased when at least half the audience shouts out an enthusiastic greeting.

 

“Well, well, well, miss Rose Girl is still popular as ever.” The host smiles, raising his eyebrows.” After your splendid performance in today’s test”- it’s good they don’t know what I’ve done, because the test is a secret -“you have been the hottest topic. Can you reveal the secret of who your partners in crime are?”

 

I can just feel Rew’s eyes on me. Her gaze almost burns my skin. She wants me to say her name. She’s an underdog- I know that. In the tributes’ eyes I might have been among the weakest, but the crowd loves me. And even the tributes will now think they have to look out of me since I got that marvelous Ten. But Rew’s still nothing, and she wants to rise in people’s eyes by being the popular girl’s friend- my ally.

 

The crowd is waiting for a reply, but I know I don’t want to be associated with Rew. At all.

 

“No fun if I tell you now, is it?” I try a coy smile, and it seems to work, because even the host smiles a little, and the audience starts woo-ing and ohh-ing. They’re totally buying it.

 

“Ok then. Fair enough.” The host says.” So. Another question. Little birds have told us you’re quite friendly with some of the tributes… male tributes in particular.”

 

I don’t know who’s told him that, but whoever did, must have known what kind of response it would cause. Gasps of surprise, shouts of frustration, yells of approval- each person in the audience seems to have a different reaction. I know the girls are shooting daggers at me- they must be worried I’m friendly with some of their favorite male tributes. But the funny thing is- I’m not. Leo was nothing but a bit friendly towards me, and Jonghyun… well, from what I’ve seen he’s got some tribute girl all over him, so he certainly doesn’t need me.

 

My confusion must show on my face, because the host is quick to retreat. “But, of course, we’ll see it once the Games start!” He shushes the crowd, that’s disappointed they’re not getting a proper response, and turns to me again. “And we’ll ask your admirer later, too.” Then, before I can ask what he means, he faces Endrew and starts talking to him, leaving me to my own thoughts. A smile is no longer on my face. I just feel a little discouraged and embarrassed. He was talking about Jonghyun. Jonghyun is being called “my admirer”.

 

For the rest of the interview I zoom out, only tuning in to hear Jonghyun answer to that bold question. The question whether he likes me.

 

“My admirer” smirks confidently, finding my gaze, and never breaking eye contact as he raises one eyebrow and blows me an air kiss. “As the Rose Girl said, it wouldn’t be fun if I tell you now.”

 

And just like that I know we’ve been given the label of the next ‘lover couple’.

 

I just wonder if we deserve it.

 

________________________

 

I just LOVE the response I'm getting for this story <3 you guys rock! :D

Now-about the story--- I was fairly supriseabout  how popular the bunny scene was... I had doubts about putting that scene in the story, and did it only because it showed a bit more of Saejin's character... There was someone who said Saejin seemed a bit weak- well, she's supposed to be that way for now. I want to make her realistic- I'm giving her not the usual badass style, but something a bit more subtle. You'll see later on.
Oh, and someone wondered what Kai's role will be... Anyone wanna guess? XD
Now, as the Games start so soon, I want you to tell me who'd like to sponsor the tributes with their points. You can always tell me later on, but since I want to keep some record of the points you have so far, it'd help if you told me now :) I'll post the points in a blog later, so you will always be able to check how many points you have ;D

As I said, next chapter the fun starts. Kai and Jonghyun are no longer going to appear so randomly- they're going to play major parts in the story (<- yup, that's a teaser for you ;D). Gotta warn you that some people will die. I don't know how gory the deaths will be, but some might be pretty bad :P

So, you're still collecting points. And you'll need them starting the next chapter ;D

QUESTION 003 ------ What character (characters?)  you DON'T like (so far)? (from my fic, peeps :D)