The Underdog

The Hunger Games. Watch Them Die.

CHAPTER 3

 

Later that day I‘m taken to the Training Center to start my training. I am the first one to arrive and so I have a good time to look around quietly.

 

The Training Center is basically just a big white room divided into sections- every section has different assets and is dedicated to learning a different skill. Instructors stand in every section, ready to help if anyone needs it. Some of them look almost bored. I guess not many tributes go to the knots or rope course sections.

 

While I‘m looking around, the door opens and a pair of girls walk in. They‘re both wearing the same costumes as I am, so I know they are also tributes. The happy chat they seemed to be having eases when they spot me. I expect them to approach me, but I only get a stinky eye before they head into the entirely opposite direction from me.

 

I guess that whole “rose girl“ think didn‘t go well with them.

 

The doors open again and a few more people stride in. I recognize the gloomy guy and the red-haired girl of Sector 2 and Sector 1 female from yesterday. I can‘t quite remember the others’ names or where they‘re from though.

 

At least not until I see another familiar face.

 

Among the sea of faces, he seems to spot me too and grins, making his way towards me.

 

I‘m so relieved to see someone at least a tad bit friendly that I break into a smile of my own. The feeling of uncertainty about him is still there, but I tell it to shut up and push it somewhere deep, where it couldn’t bother me. I am sick of not having anymore to talk to, I realize suddenly. The first shock has passed, and now I need other people.

 

“Jonghyun...“

 

The guy reaches me and his eyebrows rise at my smile. “Now that‘s a warm hello... Not that I’m complaining or anything.” He stands besides me and laughs a little, turning his head to inspect the place. “Not bad, huh?”

 

Honestly, I don’t like the sterile place once a bit, but I don’t want to scare off the only person who talks to me, so I shrug.

 

It seems to be enough of an answer to him. “So, what are your plans for today?” He asks, stills looking around. I notice his eyes linger on the hand-in-hand combat section the longest.

 

“What do you mean?” Awkwardly, I cross my arms over my chest and then uncross them again. For some reason I feel out of place when I speak to him. The awkwardness from yesterday starts creeping back in.

 

I know very well what he means. He’s wondering what my training plans are. I guess most, if not all, tributes have worked out a plan for training for the Games. Would it really be that surprising if I said I haven‘t given it any thought? I have no skills that could help me once the Games start, so it‘s no use planning anything. I‘m pretty sure I at all of those things.

 

Jonghyun turns his head to me and opens his mouth to say something, but the room falls silent all of a sudden, and we both exchange confused glances before following everyone’s eyes to the front of the room.

 

There stands a middle-aged man dressed in an immaculate suit. He must be a Gamemaker, because he could hardly pass as an instructor. Unless there’s a section teaching how to eat.

 

“Hello.” His voice is dull and quiet. Almost as unpleasant as his appearance. “Today you will start your training. I ought to remind you that you will have five days to perfect your skills in chosen areas. When five days end, you will be tested and given a score that will most likely have a high impact on the amount of sponsors you get. Before you start, I must remind you that fighting other tributes is strictly forbidden in this room. If you are in need of a sparing partner, you must ask your instructor and you will be provided one.” He looks over everyone’s faces and coughs. ”That is all. You may start your training.” With these words he turns around and walks out of the room through a set of doors behind him. As the doors shut, a soft click indicates that the door’s been locked.

 

Conversation breaks loose again, and Jonghyun turns to me. “I guess this is it. I’m gonna hit the hand-in-hand combat section. Wanna join?”

 

As much as I’d like to have someone with me rather than being here among all those tributes and all those weapons alone, I don’t think hand-in-hand is for me.

 

I shook my head at him,” No, thanks. I’m actually interested in...um…snares.” I point at the section that’s the closest to me and Jonghyun nods, before walking off. As soon as he’s far enough from me a couple of tributes greet him and he joins them, smiling just as brightly as he has with me.

 

The snares section is empty. Everyone seems to be piling around the weapons and strength sections and I have all of the area for myself. For the next half an hour the instructor tries to explain how to set up a simple snare which I keep messing up. The knots are unfamiliar to me, the rope keeps sliding off and so he finally gives up and tells me to try the knots section instead.

 

I have no desire to tie knots, so I wander around, trying to avoid the scary looking males lifting weights and throwing knives, and get a better view of everyone at the same time. As I go past the boxing section, I catch sight of Jonghyun fighting an instructor. I hurry off, before he can see me.

 

After a few pointless minutes of roaming the room, I spot a section full of plants and decide that it’s the least harmful place I can find. The next few hours fly by with me trying not to poison myself with edible-looking but deadly greens and the instructor convincing me to eat an ugly dirt-brown insect the size of my thumb. Finally, she too gets tired of me and snaps, telling me I won’t make it past the first day. I manage to restrain from telling her where to go and abandon the section.

 

Luckily, a long and loud ring announces the lunch break and I’m pleased to notice that I am not the only one in bad mood. At least half of the tributes look tired and frustrated. I can only guess most of them haven’t had any real exercise before.

 

I just wish I wasn’t one of them.

 

The small cafeteria fills with people soon. I get a plate of fish, potatoes and salad, and start looking for a table when I catch a glimpse of Jonghyun’s back as he and a black haired guy take a table at the very end of the room. Jonghyun doesn’t notice me, and I decide not to burden him. I find an empty table and settle down with my food.

 

I only have enough time to pick up my fork when a red-haired girl plops into the seat next to me.

 

I stare at her, dumbstruck and waiting for an explanation, but she only smirks and drums her fingers against the table. I have enough time to examine her features, and it dawns on me that’s she’s the foxy girl who was badmouthing the other tributes during the opening ceremony.

 

Not a pleasant person at all.

 

She’s still not speaking, so I take it’s up to me to say something. “Can I help you?”

 

Her eyes flicker with amusement at my icy tone. “You might. I don’t believe we’ve been introduced yet. I’m Rew. Rew Harbor. Sector 2.” She  pauses, and I know it’s my turn to tell her my name.

 

“Saejin Everlast. Sector 4.”

 

She nods, like she’s known this all along. “Right. So, Saejin. Have you made any alliances yet?”

 

I’m surprised at how she goes straight to the point, but it saves me some awkward conversation time, so I guess it’s a good thing. I decide to be just as crisp. “No.”

 

“Would you like to make an alliance?”

 

The question takes me by surprise again and I only manage to shrug. Alliances? Already?

 

Rew’s lips curve into a knowing smile. “Tell you what, alliances are forming. If you don’t want to be left on your own, I suggest you find yourself a partner.” She leans in a little, and laughs as I instinctively move away. “I am offering you a deal. Two can win this year. Team up with me, and we’ll be the lucky pair. Think about it.” She stands up and gives me one hard look. “You can’t win alone. We might do this together. I’ll want an answer tomorrow.” And she leaves me just as quickly as she’s come.

 

I stare after her, and a nasty feeling starts setting over me. Her words echo in my mind leaving a sharp, aching track. The short conversation has shaken me quite a bit.

 

If people are already forming alliances, I might be in serious trouble. If I have no one to help me in the Games, chances are I’ll get killed during the bloodbath. In that scenario, I only have seven more days to live.

 

One week. That’s how much I have left if I don’t do anything.

 

But Rew’s could be lying. She didn’t exactly seem like a very sincere person to me.

 

On the other hand, why would she do that?

 

I look around me. And surely enough, I am the only person in the whole room sitting alone. Even Endrew’s talking to some small guy and a dark-haired girl. Jonghyun’s with that black-haired guy-who I now recognize as the one who’s pushed me aside during the opening ceremony. They speak in loud voices –well, at least Jonghyun do, the blackie seems like the quiet cocky type-, and even from where I’m sitting I know they’re getting along quite well. And all that just after a few hours. Who knows what will happen in five days.

 

When the lunch is over, we go back to the Training room. This time, I am cautious of what’s happening around me and I notice things I haven’t noticed before- hushed voices and subtle winks, knowing smiles and exchanged glances. The person I am most interested in spends his entire day with the black-haired guy who proves to be pretty skilled in throwing knives and even making snares- I feel a pang of jealously as he easily makes snares ten times more complicated than the one I couldn’t get through with.

 

Turns out, Jonghyun is just as good. He lifts weights like it’s nothing, defeats the instructor in hand-in-hand combat on his seventh try (yes, I did count that) and even handles swords well. It easy to predict that by the end of the five days, he and the black-haired guy will make a strong duo.

 

I might have to battle them…

 

And with how things are going for me I don’t think I would learn fighting in ten years- and they’re only giving me five days.

 

After the lunch break I pooled some courage and went on to try axes, swords, tridents, slingshots and bows. Slingshots weren’t that horrible, but others I failedspectacularly. I could feel my optimism drain out of me with every missed arrow and dropped weapon.

 

There was literally nothing I was good at. In the end, I settled for edible plants again, and spent the rest of the training hours thinking about what Rew had said.

 

I needed to team up. I had to. By observing her train, I found she was good at archery and climbing- so making an alliance with her would really get my odds up, but one question was bothering me all the time.

 

I haven’t showed any skills or talents during my training, so why would she want to team up with me?...

 

And can I really afford to question the only possibility I have?

 

 

 

The following day I’m back to the edible plants section. Even though Aileena wasn’t happy when she heard I hadn’t made any real physical training, I decided not to waste time in doing what I obviously had no chance of learning.

 

Last night I did some thinking. I am not strong physically. I am not liked by other tributes. But I am popular with the sponsors. And I am smart. My only chance of survival is learning to survive in the wild and then avoiding all trouble and hoping I would make it.

 

And I am going to have to team up with Rew.

 

The first few hours of the training pass and we are taken to the lunch room again. I get a helping of chicken and salad and sit down on the same table I sat at yesterday, waiting for Rew to show. But to my surprise, a guy with a huge tray of food comes up.

 

“Mind if I sit here for a minute?”

 

I know I blush. He looks good. “Sure, I mean, no, I won’t mind.”

 

He gives me a small smile and sits down, putting his tray next to mine. I take a rapid gulp of water- just so I would have an excuse not to talk to him.

 

But unlike Rew, he strikes a conversation first. “So, I’m Leonardo. Leonardo Moss, if you prefer full names. But call me Leo. I’m from Sector 1.” He puts up his hand before I could introduce myself in return. “ You’re Saejin Everlast, I know. Everyone knows.”

 

“Oh, yes,” I feel my mouth get dry even though I have just drank. “Who wouldn’t know the rose girl…” It slips before I know it, and then it’s too late to take it back.

 

He only nods and takes a bite of his steak. After an awkward second spent staring at his thick dark hair, I look down and busy myself with eating too, not expecting him to say anything else. But instead of being silent, Leo swallows the food and starts talking again. “It’s not a bad thing, you know. People know you, like you… You are said to be one of the most popular tributes this year.”

 

I can't keep my mouth shut once again. “Not among the tributes themselves.” I stab my chicken with much more force then I should.

 

“Have you befriended anyone yet?”

 

“No.” I say, then remember Rew and bite my lip. “Well, kind of.”

 

“Oh.” From his eyes I can tell he’s been expecting a different answer. “Might I ask who?”

 

I really want to wipe that disbelieving look off his face, so I go for honesty. “Rew. The girl from 2.”

 

Surprise flicker in his eyes again. “Really?”

 

“Yes.” I start feeling defensive. “What’s so surprising?”

 

“I just could have sworn she…” he pauses and seems to change his mind. “ You know what, forget it. I’ve got no idea what I’m talking about.”

 

I open my mouth to deman an explanation whena girly voice calls out “Leo!” ,and I turns around to see two girls three tables away, waving at the guy sitting next to me. I think those are the same girls that were glaring at me yesterday.

 

“Um…” Leo starts when I look back at him.” That’s Bembi and Lolita, you know them?”

 

I shake my head.

 

“Sectors 3 and 6.” Now that he mentions it, I remember the orange-haired girl walking the path of Games. She is the black-haired guy’s, Jonghyun’s friend’s, Sector partner. “They’re waiting for me. I better go. Nice talking to you. See you around.”

 

The thought of being left alone isn't very appealing, but my pride takes the better of me, and I only nod. “Yeah, see ya.”

 

He takes his tray and, after giving me another smile, walks off to those girls.

 

Soon Rew comes and grins widely when I tell her what my decision is.

 

But strangely, agreeing on an alliance with her doesn’t make me feel even a little bit safer.

 

 

Day Three and Four pass by quickly. I study edible plants and insects, learn the basics of fishing and how to start fire, I also try my hand at spears, but that doesn’t produce good results so I drop it soon. All the while, Rew keeps her distance from me, coming up to talk only during lunch. Besides her the only other people I talk to during training are Jonghyun, whom I only talk to when the black-haired guy’s off somewhere else- I have a feeling he doesn’t like me very much-, and Leo, who sometimes comes up to chat in the fire section.

 

The tributes start to get nervous. There are more teaming up, and by the end of the fourth day it’s painfully obvious what the alliances are. Jonghyun and the black-haired guy (and then there’s this girl that spends a lot of time talking to Jonghyun, but I’m not sure if she’s too teamed with him), Leo and Lolita and Bembi, Endrew and two other tributes I don’t know, and the remaining tributes form another group. And then there’s me and Rew.

 

I still haven’t decided if I made the right choice by joining forces with her. She always seems to be hanging out with the other groups, and the fact makes me uneasy. I am not sure if that so called alliance of ours is strong.

 

When I hit my room the fourth night, I am so tired I don’t even have the energy to keep thinking strategy. During the dinner Aileena was talking about our test and she got me worried all over again. Numerous scenarios run in my head, wild and crazy, as I imagine what I could show the Gamemakers to get a high point. Unfortunately, I’m not sure making fire could earn me more than 3 or 4 and that’s not enough. With 12 being the highest (and almost impossible to get), I need at least 7 to have a decent start.

 

I fall to sleep thinking about axes and bows and swords and how useful it would be if I knew how to use one.

 

 

 

“The last day of your training! Make it count!” Bembi claps loudly. A few people laugh, others seem a little annoyed by her loud voice. It’s only seven in the morning, and it’s still too early for noise.

 

I drag myself over to my usually section- the instructor is already waiting for me. She greets me with a small smile on her face, probably happy that it’s the last day she has to tolerate me and “my spoiled self”.

 

Just so you know, I hate her too.

 

The first hour is same as usual. Gross insects and tasteless plants. And then, something unusual happens. She tells me to move on.

 

“What do you mean ‘move on’?” I stare at her in disbelief.

 

“You’ve learned everything there was to learn about plants and insects, honey.” The last word is so full of irony, I only barely manage to stop myself from cringing. ”You have to move on to a different section. Try animals.”

 

Animals? I can’t hunt, what makes her think I’d have any use learning about animals?

 

“Here, kitty-“ an instructor from the nearby section chimes in. This time I do cringe. Kitty. Those people aren’t taking me seriously. ”Try this.” And he leans down and pulls something grey and puffy from the cage at his feet. “Try skinning the animal.”

 

It’s a little bunny. The small body is wriggling and turning and kicking in the man’s hand, trying to escape. His little black button eyes are frightened. Or at least they seem so to me.

 

I am frightened.

 

“It’s alive.” I say.

 

“Like no , girl.” Someone snorts and I realize everyone in the room has stopped what they’re doing and are staring at me and the bunny now. A few sections away, I spot Jonghyun. He’s watching me intensively.

 

“Do it.”

 

I snap my head at the voice, and to my surprise it’s Rew. She’s watching me with a little twisted smile on her face, her eyes dancing.

 

I look back at the bunny.

 

The instructor moves and suddenly the bunny’s in my hand, struggling to run. I want to run too. I don’t know why I’ve taken it. I want to let the animal free, but my fingers are clasped around the little ears.

 

Everyone is waiting for what I’ll do. The rose girl. The girl who’s spent all of her time playing with plants. Weak and useless- that’s how they all see me. The one who’ll be a joke to dispose of. Just like the bunny. Helpless and dependant.

 

“Come on, Saejin, you’ll have to kill people, and you can’t even kill a stupid bunny?” Rew laughs and I want her to shut up so bad. The tiny creature is still in my grasp. “Come on, girl. Don’t be a wuss.”

 

“Fu-…” I bit my lip before I can say it. She might be a , but she’s still the only ally I have.

 

Someone else laughs. I know I have to kill the bunny for the sake of my survival. Nobody’s taking ,me seriously now, and that means an instant death in the arena. If I’d kill the animal, they’d have a little more respect for me. I must kill it.


But would it really make a difference? Do I want to fall so low as to kill an innocent life simply for the sake of keeping an image that is false anyway?

I cough, making up my mind. “I’m keeping the bunny. Alive.” I shoot the instructor a look and leave the room without looking at anyone. I struggle to keep walking at a proper pace- I want to run away and hide so badly. My cheeks are flushed, i know it. Just like I kwon they're all are judging me as I exit.

 

But despite everything, I don't stop. I keep my head high the whole time and only allow my shoulders to slump once I’m out of the room.

 

Then I release the bunny and it hops off, leaving me alone.

 

But not for long.

 

The signal for lunch goes off, and people spill into the hallway.Not really having a choice, I start walking with everyone else to the cafeteria, ignoring the stares and snickers I get, when I hear two voices behind me. The noise around us makes it hard to hear, but I think I recognize Jonghyun’s voice. And another deep one. Probably the blackie’s.

 

“She ought to have killed it.”

 

“I’m glad she didn’t.”

 

They say it so fast I don’t really know whom which line belongs to. But I have a good guess. When they speed up and pass me, Jonghyun gives me a smile. And his friend shoots a murderous look at him.

 

At my usual table, Rew comes and laughs the bunny incident off, asking if I’m going to keep it in my room like a pet. I don’t answer her, but the unsaid words are here- the alliance between us is still up.

 

The rest of the day blurs by with some occasional smiles from Jonghyun and encouraging glances from Leo.

 

At night I have trouble falling asleep as I keep feeling a little ball of fur in my hand.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3, done! One more chapter to go till the Games start! Then you'll be seeing Jongh and Kai way more :) I'm dying to get done with the introductory chapters, they're not that much fun, so i'll make sure to fit the interviews and the testing into one chapter... >.>

Oh, and Kai will be officially introdused in the next chapter- just a small 'spiler' to keep you up ;) 

As always, let me remind you about the sponsoring system- you collect points by commenting and answering question, get points and then spend them on items you give to your fav characters :)

The games are about to start, so hurry and collect more points while you can :)

QUESTION002: which scene's your favorite so far?...

I'm itching to get to the good stuff, so I'll probably update soon....depending on how many comments I get, haha ;P I'm LOVING your feedback so far <3 (anyone wants personal replies? I'f you want me to answer to every comment personaly, i will. Just tell me :)