Chapter Five b

Heart of Chocolate

YooChun sighed. The small manufacture in his hand just wouldn't quite look like he intended to. Not listening to the other makers' words of praise he thought of JaeJoong. His best friend's absence bothered him even more than he had thought it would. It bothered him to an extent that it even influenced his work. Inspiration hadn't quite struck him so far today. His thoughts wandered to the director and his little find. He wondered if the gadget was the key to unlock the riddle they were trying to solve. But how could it help them to see JaeJoong, but not being able to reach him with their voices? Another sigh escaped the dark haired angel's lips.

All of a sudden soft footsteps reached his ears, getting louder as the seconds passed by. When he looked up he found himself face to face with the very same angel he just had thought of -the director. He raised his brows and watched the tired expression on his face change into a determined one. “It wouldn't budge, I couldn't even get one tiny sizzle out off it... but I'm sure this is the solution we sought for,” he mumbled, “I'll leave it in your hands now to get it to open up again. Please inform me of any changes right away.”

Before YooChun could utter another word his supervisor had slammed the golden device onto his table and stormed away almost in lightning speed and with harsh footsteps, murmuring things still to do under his breath.

Once again his gaze fell onto the device. He took it into his palm, examining it yet again. Suddenly it snapped open with a click. But it closed shut almost the same time, leaving YooChun dumbfounded. He stared at the thing unbelievingly with his mouth opened in shock. Again he had seen a glance of his friend...

*

He was on his way through the hallway. His locker was already in sight. Next to him his younger brother was babbling happily about his last soccer practice and how he was sure they'd win their next game the upcoming weekend. But YunHo was quite a bit distracted. Involuntary his thoughts had left the campus and wandered to the person at home. He didn't know what was going to happen next. What would happen when JaeJoong was healthy again? YunHo somehow waited for a miracle to occur. But that would sound as if he started to believe the man. And didn't the case of JaeJoong falling ill prove his humanity?

A hand waved in front of his face. “Hyung? You just went past your locker,” JunSu said. YunHo looked around and noticed his surroundings.

Whilst he was packing his books into the locker JunSu went quiet. He closed the door and turned around, facing his brother. JunSu was fidgeting a bit. “Can I come with you today, hyung? I think I need to tell you something.” YunHo had a perplex expression written on his face and then just nodded. Right away his brother started laughing awkwardly and then excused himself for he had to go to class. YunHo remembered he had to as well.

Some hours later he went home together with JunSu, on their way collecting ChangMin as well.

*

It was late afternoon when a key was slid into a keyhole and turned until the door snapped open, voices vibrating inside of the entrance hall when three men were stepping through the opened door. The hallway was dark as were all other rooms inside of the apartment. It was quiet despite the ticking of the clock inside of the kitchen and the rustling of shoes and jackets being put aside.

“Seriously, YunHo. How could you leave him alone in such a state? He's sick, for god's sake,” the smaller blond male exclaimed with furrowed eyebrows whilst facing the owner of the apartment.

“God, JunSu. Calm down. He's a grown man and able to look after himself,” YunHo replied when he walked towards the bedroom to check if his guest was sleeping. The fluffy bed was empty and didn't look like it had been used over the last few hours.

“But he's an angel and not used to the way humans live,” JunSu protested. 'There we go again,' YunHo thought to himself whilst shaking his head. His little brother could talk about nothing else but JaeJoong and his heavenly origin.

“ChangMin! Why aren't you helping me with this pighead?” JunSu turned towards the tall young man next to him with short dark-brown hair. His flatmate kept silent and just followed the bickering of the two brothers.

“Why are you always so silent anyway?” JunSu complained whilst pouting when the three young men made their way into the living room.

“I just know when to keep quiet and to myself,” the taller responded with a smirk which earned him a pout from JunSu and a hearty laugh from YunHo.

“I wonder where he is though,” YunHo mumbled when he didn't hear any sound of his guest whilst JunSu and ChangMin were trailing after him into the warm living room. YunHo switched on the lights before he turned towards the kitchen intending to make some tea.

“He's sleeping,” came JunSu's reply from behind him. He turned towards his brother and was about to respond when his eyes fell onto the figure resting on the couch. JaeJoong's auburn hair was an unmistakable contrast to the white duvet covering his form. The steady lifting and sinking of JaeJoong's chest was an evident proof that JunSu's statement was true. YunHo turned back towards his task at hand whilst ChangMin and his brother were watching JaeJoong's sleep silently and with awe - at least that was for JunSu.

“I wonder how he fits onto the couch with his wings,” JunSu mumbled in awe with his head cocked to the side. ChangMin just looked at him with a raised eyebrow but said nothing. The soft scent of vanilla and cinnamon was lingering in the air, the two friends closing their eyes and snuffling the air.

“Hm, that smells good,” ChangMin mumbled to himself whilst strolling over to the kitchen. “What kind of tea is it?” he asked, the sugary scent fading a bit the closer he came to the open door.

“Herbal one, why?” YunHo replied with questioning eyes as he looked at ChangMin who stood in the door frame.

“It smells sweet. Do you have any cookies or cake here?” the taller wondered, noticing that the sugary scent got less intense around the kitchen.

“No, I don't have anything of that here,” YunHo replied puzzled when he put three cups onto a tray.

Unnoticed by the young men chatting in the kitchen and JunSu being in the bathroom, the sleeping angel slowly stirred awake. The duvet rustled when he rubbed his eyes still drunken from his nap. JaeJoong yawned whilst sitting up, voices reaching his ears. He shifted to the side and let his legs slide from the sofa when he looked into the direction of the kitchen.

“You're awake,” a squeaky voice chimed excited to say the least which made JaeJoong as well as the occupants of the kitchen turn to its source. JaeJoong smiled softly when his eyes landed on JunSu who smiled widely back at him.

“How do you feel?” YunHo asked when he stepped with a tray in his hands into the living room, his eyes lying on JaeJoong in worry. The latter grabbed his cup filled with now cold tea and sipped on it, carefully leaning back against the couch and snuggling into the blanket over his legs before he replied, “So-so.” His voice was just a mere whisper, a yawn stifled when he looked down into his cup whilst the other three were sitting down. JunSu sat down next to JaeJoong on the couch, ChangMin onto one of the armchairs and YunHo onto the other whilst eyeing JaeJoong who seemed deep in thought.

'If only I could fly. Maybe I could get back home then,' JaeJoong thought, a lost gaze marring his face.

*

Over and over again he found himself staring at the small object lying on the right hand side of him, anxious for it to do something again. But so far nothing had happened since the last incident. It was almost closing-time for him and he was just about to finish his last snow flake for this day. He glued one last piece to the flake, cleaned his tools and then laid them aside. He put the flake into a big glass box already filled with hundreds of the big white crystals. Afterwards he snatched the golden device from his table, ready to make his way out of the manufactory. When the impossible happened yet again... The object in his hand had began to vibrate and to sizzle, just before the lid opened. YooChun gazed into the mirror, expecting to see the familiar face of JaeJoong, but instead a foreign face greeted him. It showed a cute guy with blond hair and a contagious smile, who walked in between who must be his two friends. They went down a snowy street, probably joking and laughing together. What was that supposed to mean? Why was he shown foreign people? And where was JaeJoong? The closing lid pulled him out of his thoughts. He blinked his eyes but without further ado he collected all of his belongings at the entrance of the building and left for his home.

*

YunHo took his cup of tea and sipped on it. When he had put it down, he looked at JunSu. “So, JunSu. You wanted to tell me something. What is it?” His face showed a curious expression, whilst JunSu suddenly went white. He cleared his throat. His fingers were playing with the sofa cushion lying on his lap, staring at them. “I-hmm... I,” he stuttered. “So, ChangMin already knows, and-and JaeJoong won't judge I think, so... I just am going to tell it straight out.” The silence following was kind of awkward and YunHo wondered what could be as difficult to tell as this. After all they were brothers and would always be. JunSu locked his gaze with ChangMin's searching for encouragement, who in return waved at him, urging him to continue. JunSu heaved a sigh and then shifted his gaze to YunHo. “Hyung... I think I might be -I know- I'm... kinda-hmm... gay?” YunHo's eyes went unfocused and his eyebrows almost vanished into his hair. He blinked repeatedly, opening and closing his mouth like a fish. But no word left his mouth. “What did you say?”

JunSu had pulled himself together and answered with a determined look, “YunHo-hyung, I'm gay.” But when his brother didn't react in any way, his doubts came back. What if he hated him now? But no, he wasn't such a cruel person. He would understand! But before he could react JaeJoong went to sit next to YunHo. He laid a hand onto the man's knee. “You don't convict him for that, do you?” YunHo looked back and forth between ChangMin and JunSu and JaeJoong. His gaze came to a halt on the angel's face, the sweet and encouraging mimic then reminded him to answer the just asked question. He shook his head in irritation. He looked back at his brother who seemed to be on the verge of tears. “JunSu. I really never thought you would come to me with something like this one day, but... but I really don't judge you because of this.” With a 'Come here!' he lunged for his brother's form and hugged him tight, squeezing almost the air out off his lungs. But the blond didn't care. Only his happy thoughts were present in his head, whilst he lifted his arms and hugged YunHo in return. “You'll always be my brother, and I'll be happy as long as you are happy,” YunHo smiled.

After the awkward moment had passed, for JunSu everything was just like nothing ever had occurred and he was able to have fun and laugh together with them -his family- as always. Only YunHo went unfocused sometimes but that was left unnoticed by his companions.

When it was already late, and dark outside for hours, their guests got ready to leave for the day. After pulling on their jackets and boots both stepped out of the apartment and the building. Instantly they were engulfed by the ice cold winter air. JunSu shivered and puffed out some white breath clouds. He looked at his flatmate and ushered him to start walking.

YunHo and JaeJoong got ready for bed. The angel made his way into the bedroom for the fluffy bed and the human readied the couch for himself. He dived under the covers but couldn't quite sleep yet. He didn't know why, but JunSu's words wouldn't get out if his head.

*

He threw his keys onto the table and got rid of his jacket and shoes, leaving them in the entrance hall of his apartment. When he went through the living room his couch looked very inviting, but first he went to the kitchen to make some tea stiffling a yawn on the way there.

Whilst he waited for the bubbling water to heat up and then fill it into his cup, he chanced a glance at the two clocks hanging on the wall. The one on the left showed the earth time, whilst the one on the right showed their own heaven time. They were almost the same right now, but not quite. And soon the difference would have been expanded again for both times, in heaven and on earth, were going in different velocities. Earth went faster, whilst heaven went slower. His tea was ready and he made his way to the couch, sitting on it, then changing his mind and pulling his feet up. He stared into space, thinking of JaeJoong, the different times -JaeJoong must be sleeping right now, like he should as well-, and the foreigner in the mirror. So deeply in thoughts his eyelids began to droop and before you could say knife, they had closed completely, his head dropped onto the sofa and he was dead asleep. The apartment was still brightly lit.

After some time though -or maybe even hours-, his mind stirred and his lids began to rise. When he had opened his eyes the first thing he saw was the device lying on the floor. All the lights were turned of, but strangely the room was lucid. At first he didn't notice it, but then he spotted his gadget, that still was lying on the floor, vibrating and sizzling again. The lid was opened and the golden rays once again streamed throughout the room. The mirror showed JaeJoong again -fast asleep as YooChun had predicted. But this time something was different. Suddenly the angel grabbed it and his forefinger glided over his friends form in the mirror. And it felt as if a bright light exploded behind his lids and flooded his head with light, and then something pulled on his body.