Chapter Five a

Heart of Chocolate

Footsteps pacing from one room to another were audible inside of the apartment, sheets of paper rustling when hands were shifting them aside in search of a note pad. Brown eyes lit up, a relieved sigh leaving bow-shaped lips when the desired object was found. YunHo's light-brown hair was swaying to and fro when he ran from his bedroom into the living room, stuffing his note pad into his shoulder bag together with his pencil case and a bottle filled with water that had been put on the table before.

He just closed his bag when the door of the bathroom was opened, revealing his auburn haired guest who hobbled carefully into the living room.

“YunHo, have you seen my clothes?” JaeJoong asked sheepishly still dressed in his pyjama. The awkwardness from earlier was still swaying around them.

“I put them into the washing machine. They were dirty and full of dust,” YunHo replied whilst pacing with his bag in hand into the hallway. JaeJoong followed him slowly, face distorted in discomfort when his right foot touched the ground. YunHo put on his winter shoes, tying up the dark shoe laces whilst bending down with his bag lying next to him. “I put some clothes for you onto the bed. They should fit,” he said when he stood up and grabbed his blue quilted jacket to put it on as well as his woollen scarf.

“Thank you,” JaeJoong mumbled whilst watching YunHo making himself ready to go outside. He wondered where the latter was heading to to be in such a hurry.

“I'll be gone for a few hours because I have to attend my lectures in university. Just, well, make yourself comfortable,” YunHo said in such a pace that JaeJoong had difficulties to follow him and before he registered every single word, the wooden door of YunHo's apartment had clicked shut and he was left alone in the hallway. It was quiet, just the constant ticking of a clock hanging in the kitchen audible.

*

Before YooChun could touch the little golden device it just snapped shut, whirring and sizzling and emanating little sparks for some time and then stopped doing anything at all. The moment was gone, where the thing sent out such mysterious powers, where it bathed the shelves and YooChun himself in a golden glow... and where he showed the angel a picture of his friend.

Now YooChun was kneeling in front of it, now lying innocently on the dusty floor. Carefully it was placed in YooChun's palm again, but against his expectations, it was not hot or showed any sign of being alive, it just lay cool against the angel's skin as if nothing had happened -at all. Slowly the black haired got up and made his way through the shelves and towards where he knew the director must be. Surely he would have at least noticed the golden rays colouring the room, wouldn't he? How could he not. But when YooChun left the aisle and came to the front desk of their storage kind of library not anyone was in sight. He looked down at the little gadget and frowned.

*

JaeJoong sighed when he slowly shuffled into the bedroom, the chamber still dark because of the closed curtains despite the fact that is was already after noon. At the edge of the bed lay folded clothes - a shirt and a pair of slacks. JaeJoong looked puzzled when his gaze wandered down, his eyes falling onto a pair of slippers that looked like two big fluffy reindeer. He sat down onto the bed and took one of the brownish heads with plush antlers on top into his hand whilst smiling at it. It had a red nose and black beady eyes. He put the fluffy slipper back onto the ground before he carefully slipped with his right foot into it, afterwards doing the same with his other foot. It felt warm and soft inside.

JaeJoong grabbed the clothes put out for him and made his way into the bathroom to take a shower. He felt quite uncomfortable with his clammy skin and it would do his aching muscles good as well. He just hoped that he would fit into the shower with his wings. And to his fortune YunHo's shower was a tub as well, a shower curtain catching every possible drop of water while showering from falling onto the ground. Since JaeJoong was still unable to unfold his strained wings, he was quite sure that he would fit into the tub functioning as a shower. He sneezed and coughed every now and then whilst removing the bandage on his foot. His ankle was swollen -black and blue in colour- and he winced in pain when he couldn't hold back and touched it.

He shivered at the coldness when he stepped into the tub, sliding the shower curtain shut and found a position to stand in that was stable enough for his injured foot. The warm water sliding over his sweaty and dusted skin was heavenly for him, a sigh leaving his lips followed by a cough. It was almost an hour later until JaeJoong stepped out of the bathroom, fully dressed in the shirt and slacks YunHo had provided him as well as his reindeer slippers. His hair was dry after he had blow-dried it and his fringe fell smoothly into his face. He got hold of the cardigan he had worn the night before to keep the heat emanating from his skin to his body.

*

YooChun found the director in his bureau. He was buried deep in more of the old and dusty books and scrolls like the ones in the library -according to the signs on the books' backs they belonged there as well. When YooChun had knocked on his wooden door his head had snapped up after being interrupted from deep thoughts. He entered the office with a 'Come in!'. In front of him the big office desk was overflowing with those old books -it seemed as if the director had tried to collect all the information they had managed to find concerning such an incident labelled as falling from the skies and had tried to squeeze it all onto his desk, which -despite being a very big table- couldn't take it at all. So he must have tried to find a solution and squashed everything onto his desk and the floor as well.

YooChun shoved the papers aside with his feet, effectively creating an aisle leading to a chair for him to 'Do sit down!' as the other angel had asked him. YooChun wiggled his bottom back and forth. The wooden seat was not the most comfortable chair in the heavens but it was all right for now. He looked at his surroundings noticing now the various books halfway pulled out and stacked in front of the otherwise neatly arranged books in the shelves aligning the wall. It seemed the director was deep in his element.

“I found something in the library, or rather it found me.” YooChun told the director anything that had occurred earlier and showed him the golden device. “When I suddenly lost my footing, the thing fell down and opened. I saw JaeJoong in it. But before I could do anything it had snapped shut again.”

His companion held the small object in his hand, inspecting it closely. He squinted his eyes, trying to read what was written on its back, but the engravings were too shallow to do so in passing. After a minute or so, he took it in both hands and attempted to pry it open, pulling forcefully on the two halves, but all in vain. The device just wouldn't budge.

“I shall run some tests on it, maybe I can open it,” he said suddenly, “For now I'd propose that you go back to work and leave this to me. If anything happens I'll inform you right away.”

With that YooChun was dismissed and was shooed out off his office.

*

JaeJoong strode over into the kitchen and made himself a warm herbal tea with a spoonful of honey before he went into the living room and sat down onto the couch. Time ticked by whilst JaeJoong was nipping on his tea, the warmth doing good his throat. His eyes wandered over the Christmas decoration, the bookshelves and photos as well as the television. He wondered what kind of program humans on earth were watching so curiosity got the better off him and he switched the black device on. It was just like the ones in heaven.

The auburn haired cocked his head aside whilst zapping through the channels. Humans really had some weird taste when it came to programs. Out of all the 30 channels YunHo had at least ten were sporting some lawyer shows -if JaeJoong got that right- and the next five to ten something about family problems. It was rather seldom that JaeJoong stumbled upon some documentation, music channel or one where a film or soap opera were airing. He shook his head when he turned off the television and thought back to the programs he had at home in the skies. He would miss all of his favourite angel series as well as the films he had promised to watch with YooChun.

His nose started to tickle, signalising an oncoming sneeze which thankfully landed in the tissue he was able to grasp just in time. His head was pounding once again and he felt tired. He stifled a yawn before he made himself comfortable on the couch and grabbed the blanket that lay discarded in a lonely corner. He was too exhausted to walk over into the bedroom of YunHo to sleep there and just fell asleep on the sofa.

It was as if he heard someone calling him faintly, but it must have been all inside of his dream.