Couldn't Desire You More

Killer Instincts

Wheein and Hwasa were already waiting for them when they entered the classy restaurant. Upon their arrival, Wheein stood up to greet them.

“It’s so nice to see you again,” Wheein pulled Moonbyul into a warm hug, which the latter one returned clumsily as she had not expected such an affectionate gesture. They had only met each other a couple of times before and considering the last time had been a near-death experience, Moonbyul had expected more animosity from the other woman.

“You don’t need to lie,” Moonbyul said with humor in her voice, “I know you cursed my existence last time we parted ways. Again, I sincerely apologize for that night.”

“Psh, let’s leave this in the past,” Wheein said good-naturedly, waving her off. “I had weeks to get over it and Hwasa helped clearing your name.”

“Oh, did she now?” Moonbyul asked with a raised eyebrow directed at her friend. “She usually loves dragging my name through whatever dirt she can find.”

“Don’t be dramatic,” Hwasa said with an eyeroll, “you’ve had your hands in dirtier places.”

“She means that figuratively,” Moonbyul quickly explained to Solar and Wheein when she saw the disgusted expressions forming on their faces. “But I have to say, Wheein, you look absolutely lovely tonight. You looked lovely last time, too, but back then I couldn’t tell whether it was your short dress or the gunshots raising my blood pressure.”

Wheein laughed out loud and playfully punched Moonbyul’s shoulder. “You better stop before either Hwasa or Solar kills you.”

“I would never stoop so low and kill someone,” Solar muttered, crossing her arms. “But I might make an exception.”

“Leave that to the pros,” Hwasa said with an icy glare directed at Moonbyul.

Wheein pouted at her girlfriend. “What did I say about falling back into old habits?”

Hwasa sighed. “No more casual death threats?”

“Yes. So if everyone could please settle down, I’ve already ordered some wine. Pinot Noir, if you don’t mind.”

“Excellent taste,” Moonbyul remarked with an appreciative nod while browsing the menu card. “I’m starting to think that we’ll be good friends.”

“I don’t like that tone,” Hwasa said, narrowing her eyes.

“Me neither,” Solar agreed, just as skeptical.

“Can you guys relax?” Moonbyul peered over her menu card. “You’re making me sound sleazy.”

“No, you’re doing a fine job of that on your own,” Hwasa replied drily. “Moonbyul, I know you. I know Wheein would be usually your type.”

Solar’s mouth fell open as she turned to Moonbyul with an accusing look. “You said you didn’t have a type before you met me!”

“I didn’t!” Moonbyul defensively raised her hands. “I just have a general weakness for cute things, okay?”

“Wow, I’m flattered, but-“ Wheein stuttered and blushed.

“What do you mean you’re flattered,” Hwasa interrupted with a frown. “You told me her lines are cringe-worthy.”

“Hey!”

“Yes, I did,” Wheein reluctantly replied, “cringe-worthy, but still sweet because she actually means them. No one in their right mind would say them otherwise.”

“I’m still right here, you know?” Moonbyul grumpily said.

Hwasa furrowed her sharp brows, ignoring her friend. “What do you mean with ‘sweet’, that’s absolute bullsh-“

“I’m just saying that I can appreciate the genuine intention behin-“

“My lines are not cringe-wor-”

“You shut up, you girlfriend-stealer-”

“What? Girlfriend-stealer? Are you like ten or what?”

“Hwasa, don’t blame it on her-”

“I’ll blame climate change on her if it suits me-“

“You don’t even care about climate cha-“

“STOP!” Solar burst out in frustration, her loud voice cutting everyone off. “Can everyone please shut up for a second? Or at least not talk over each other? We’re adults. Let’s talk this out in a civilized manner.”

Three pairs of eyes stared back at her, unblinking.

Solar calmly exhaled. “See? We don’t have to go crazy.”

“She’s right,” Moonbyul slowly said, relaxing her shoulders. “Hwasa, you’re getting mad over absolutely nothing. Even Solar here understands that I just find Wheein very pretty from a purely objective point of view. It’s more like a neutral observation that she is cute and adorable, a simple scientific fact.”

Wheein hid her blushing face behind her hands. “Oh, stop.”

Hwasa leaned back in her seat. “Yeah, you really should.”

Moonbyul chuckled. “Why, will you threaten to kill me again? Because I’m so scared of you?”

“Not of me.” Hwasa nodded to Solar. “Of her. I can see the vein on her neck about to pop from over here.”

Suddenly feeling drops of cold sweat running down her shivering spine, Moonbyul didn’t dare to turn her head and look. She wasn’t sure if she could survive facing the glare that was burning a hole into her head.

“Excuse me,” a sommelier approached their table and gently interrupted with a bow, “may I serve you your wine now?”

“Sure,” Wheein gestured for him to start.

If he had noticed the tension, he didn’t let it be shown, calmly introducing the wine and pouring everyone a glass. Once he was gone, Moonbyul quickly reached for her glass and downed it with a speed that would have offended every wine lover as she hardly tasted the wine.

“So,” Moonbyul said after roughly setting her empty wine glass back on the table. “Do we know what we’re ordering?”

“Today’s special menu, a five-course meal,” Wheein replied, shooting a nervous glance between Moonbyul and Solar. “But we can choose a three-course meal if you’re in a hurry…”

“No, it’s okay, you suggested this place,” Moonbyul said, giving Wheein a comforting smile as to say that she had nothing to worry about. “I trust your taste.”

“At least someone does,” Wheein replied with a pleased smile, giving Hwasa a pointed look. “This one here has to argue with me about every little decision when it comes to food.”

Hwasa rolled her eyes but smiled softly. Moonbyul’s own mouth curled up into a warm smile. “I am all too familiar with that.”

“Don’t get mushy on me.” Hwasa brushed her hair behind her shoulder and put her elbows on the table, smirking at Moonbyul. “You can save it all up for Chubby Cheeks fuming next to you.”

“Chubby what?” Solar spluttered in indignance.

“And she finally talks!” Hwasa lowly laughed. “Don’t worry, your cheeks are endearing. I have this urge to pinch them every time I see your face, that’s how cute you are.”

Solar self-consciously touched her cheeks.

“Okay, pause,” Moonbyul interjected. “Why is it okay for you to say stuff like this to Solar but then get mad at me for saying similar stuff to Wheein?”

“Are you seriously asking?” Hwasa challenged. “Well, I want to say it’s because it’s you, but since it won’t be a satisfactory answer for you, how about the fact that you’re not even dating Solar and that there’s no reason for you to be mad.”

That made Moonbyul close again.

Solar shifted uncomfortably in her seat. So much for avoiding that topic.

“Hwasa, don’t,” Wheein quietly said.

“No, it’s okay,” Moonbyul cleared , sitting straight in her seat. “I’m an adult, we can talk about this. Right, Solar?”

Taken aback, Solar just numbly nodded.

“Yes, we decided not to put any label on what we have right now,” Moonbyul began with a tense expression. “And that’s okay. I respect that. But I’m still human and that makes me greedy, so yeah, I can be a bit sensitive about other people hitting on someone I like, alright?”

Hwasa snorted into her wine glass. “Alright then, softie. Maybe you ease down on your grease, too, because I can see another sensitive person from over here.”

Solar made a disapproving noise. “I’m not sensitive.”

“Has she always been this bad at lying?” Hwasa pretended to stage-whisper to Wheein without lowering her voice the slightest.

“Yeah,” Wheein snickered, “the worst.”

“I’m not lying,” Solar protested, but Wheein gently cut her off.

“Solar,” she began carefully, “you know I’d never return Moonbyul’s advances, right?”

“What advances?” Moonbyul spluttered in indignance. “I’ve never hit on you, I was being nice.”

“Yeah, sure,” Hwasa and Solar mumbled at the same time.

“I mean, okay,” Wheein began to ramble, “I might have hypothetically thought about her in a hypothetical romantic setting once, right, but it didn’t mean anyth-“

Jung Wheein, what do you mean you thought abou –“

“I already said it was all hypothetical!” Wheein hysterically replied. “Back when you and I weren’t a thing yet, Hwasa. She was kind to me, okay? At my exhibition, I could tell that she had no idea about any of the works, but she still paid attention to my explanations. And when she found out that I was sad that day about a curator who told me my work was trash, she literally put him inside a trash can.”

“Oh, I remember,” Moonbyul perked up, “was that the creepy moustache guy?”

“Yes. Now he’s known as the creepy trash can guy, thanks to you.”

Satisfied, Moonbyul poured herself another glass of wine. “My pleasure. Been stuffing creepy dudes into trash cans since I was fourteen.”

“That’s true,” Hwasa mumbled into her own wine glass with an amused snort. “It was one of her favorite extracurriculars. Probably because of all the girls cheering her on.”

“Why am I not surprised,” Wheein said with a laugh. “You sound exactly like the type of person Solar would have hated in high school.”

“What, why?” Moonbyul looked at Solar with furrowed brows. “You don’t know that, we could have been best friends.”

“No, I would have definitely hated you,” Solar replied without a second’s delay. “I hate bullies.”

“You think I randomly put some nerds in their place?” Moonbyul asked a frown tugging at her lips. “I only did that to people who deserved it.”

“Once again, that’s true,” Hwasa said with a nod. “But only because she enjoyed playing the hero for some heart-eyed girls.”

“Playing the hero, huh?” Wheein raised an eyebrow. “How come you ended up so…differently?”

“Oh, I see,” Moonbyul leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms, “bashing on my previous job. Did you know that in our careers,” and she pointed between herself and Hwasa, “we eliminated dozens of terrorists and leaders of organized crime. Human trafficking, weapons and drugs – you name it. If it wasn’t for us, this country would be sinking into chaos.”

Hwasa nodded, raising her wine glass. “You’re welcome.”

“Doesn’t that sound more like a job for some type of special forces unit? You know, people who are trained for their legal jobs to deal with these kinds of things?” Solar asked.

Moonbyul shared a look with Hwasa before she snorted. “Right, we never told you.”

“Told us what?” Wheein inquired, sitting up in confusion.

“You don’t just become an assassin overnight,” Hwasa slowly began, looking at Moonbyul, who gestured for her to continue. “No one would hire a no-name. You earn your reputation through a previous job.”

“Oh, so you had another dubious job before your dubious job?” Solar asked with both of her brows raised to her hairline.

“Yep,” Moonbyul confirmed with a curt nod.

“And that was…?”

“Some type of special forces unit,” Hwasa repeated Solar’s words with a shrug. “We didn’t have an official name because we didn’t officially exist. But we were something you would call a “Black Ops” team.”

“Oh god,” Solar closed her eyes. “So your previous job was killing people, too.”

“Yeah, but with terrible working hours and rather poor health benefits,” Moonbyul remarked. “So we ventured into the private sector but kept some connections, that’s why the government never stopped hiring us.”

“Because we were that good,” Hwasa bragged, clinking glasses with Moonbyul.

“And they just let you go?” Wheein asked in disbelief.

“Well, they did try to kill us because we knew too much,” Moonbyul answered with a shrug. “But after we sent back a couple of agents with missing fingers, they finally got the message and decided to work with us instead.”

Wheein and Solar shared a horrified look with wide eyes.

“Wheein, it’s all good now,” Hwasa quickly soothed her girlfriend upon seeing her panicked look. “I promise, nothing will ever happen to us.”

 Solar pulled a grimace. “Then what was last time?”

“A minor inconvenience,” Moonbyul dismissively said. “We’ve dealt with the people responsible, they won’t bother us again.”

Clasping her hands over head, Solar in a long breath. “I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this. If there’s anything else we should know, you better tell us now.”

“Yeah,” Wheein agreed, voice shaky, “what else is there to you two?”

“Uhm,” Moonbyul shared a fleeting look with Hwasa, who subtly shook her head, “the list is way too long and I’d rather not talk about death over dinner. Guess you’ll have to stick around to know more.”

Solar lowly sighed. “Why do I have the feeling that I’m going to regret this.”

“Because you’re right,” Moonbyul said with a smirk, handing Solar her wine glass that she hadn’t touched yet. “But you’re also going to enjoy every second of it. So, let’s cheer to us.”

Hwasa raised her glass, too, gesturing for Wheein to do the same. “To a future with us four.”

“If we live long enough to witness it,” Wheein mumbled, but raised her glass nonetheless.

“Cheers.”

 

--

 

“Irene, what are you doing.”

“Can’t a friend see you off from work now?” Irene innocently tilted her head. “Since we decided to get off work at the same time for once.”

Solar faced her with a deadpanned look. “You never leave work that early.”

Both women stood at the hospital entrance, looking out the driveway.

“It’s a nice day to leave work early,” Irene casually said, “and to find a possible sponsor for my new washing machine.”

Solar gasped in disbelief. “You just came here to see Moonbyul?”

“Now you finally give me a name,” Irene chuckled. “I figured it wouldn’t be a problem, since you’re not dating and all.”

“Irene,” Solar groaned in frustration, “what’s wrong with you, everyone knows that a friend’s fling is off-limits.”

“What’s wrong with me?” Irene gestured to herself in mock surprise. “What’s wrong with you! You’ve got an attractive millionaire on your hook and yet here you are, refusing to pull her on land.”

“Did you just compare her to fish?”

“A fish that is going to jump back into the ocean if you wait too long.” Irene raised a perfectly drawn eyebrow. “You should make up your mind.”

Solar pulled a grimace. “Can we please not talk about this? She will arrive any minute.”

“I hope so,” Irene said with a mischievous grin. “I finally get to meet the mysterious stranger who caught the unattainable Dr. Kim’s heart.”

“You just totally made that title up, literally no one says that about me,” Solar muttered.

“Not in front of your face not.” Irene shrugged. “It’s not a criticism about your character, we know that patients love you for your kindness. But we also know that you have never showed any interest in a relationship before, since you’ve always been so caught up in your work.”

“Hmpf,” Solar rumbled.

“Oh, there she is,” Irene perked up. “And it’s a black Ferrari this time.” She gave Solar a teasing smirk. “I have a matching purse for that.”

“Irene, don’t you dare –“

Moonbyul stopped the car in front of them and slowly got out, furrowing her brows when she saw Irene. She had never met one of Solar’s colleagues before, so it came as a surprise to her to find an unfamiliar person waiting for her. Did Solar want to introduce them to each other after Moonbyul had expressed her dissatisfaction about not being important enough to know more about Solar’s life?

“Uhm, hello?” Moonbyul greeted in hesitation, questioningly raising her brows at Solar before she bowed in front of Irene. “I’m Moonbyul, Solar’s…friend.”

“Irene,” the older woman smiled charmingly, brushing her hair behind her ear. “Pleased to meet you.” She batted her eyelashes. “So, you’re Solar’s friend, huh? Me, too. Only difference is I don’t sleep with her.”

Moonbyul’s expression slipped and she stuttered, “I’m sorry?”

“Irene!” Solar hissed. “You can go now.”

“But we just met,” Irene pretended to be clueless. “I’m not bothering you, am I, Moonbyul?” And she batted her long eyelashes again.

“Uh,” Moonbyul looked to Solar, who subtly nodded, then looked back at Irene. “No, of course not.”

Solar dragged her hand down her face.

“Perfect,” Irene beamed, “have you had dinner yet?”

 

--

 

This was by far the worst date she had ever had. Not that Solar had many to compare to, but this one definitely topped every other experience so far. Not only did Irene crash her dinner with Moonbyul, but Moonbyul had also begun to look quite taken by her colleague.

Was Solar annoyed by that? Maybe. Irene was in fact stunning beyond what words could describe and she exuded an aura so captivating that Solar couldn’t even be mad when Moonbyul choked on her wine when Irene’s face lit up with a smile. Solar herself sometimes couldn’t believe that a face like Irene’s could be real.

But that did not mean that Solar easily accepted any of Moonbyul’s enchanted reactions that were directed to anyone but her.

“And I said, ‘If that’s a scalpel in your coffee, then what did you just use to cut open your patient?’”

Moonbyul burst out laughing and hit the table in amusement. “No, she didn’t –“

“She didn’t, thank god,” Irene laughed.

Solar innerly groaned. What had she done in her previous life to deserve this?

“I’m going to the bathroom,” she excused herself in a monotonous voice, which went unnoticed as her two companions were too engrossed with each other.

She walked away with a huff, wondering if it was rude to leave the restaurant. She knew that Irene was just out to , forcing her to deal with the undefined relationship she had with Moonbyul. If Solar had just admitted that she wanted to date Moonbyul, Irene wouldn’t have wasted a second on this whole scheme. Irene was probably one of the best and worst friends she had, trying to give her the push she needed in the most aggravating way.

Fine, Solar admitted to herself, she was absolutely bothered by the thought of anyone trying to get Moonbyul’s interest, even if it was Irene, who only did this to . Did this mean that she wanted to date Moonbyul?

She didn’t know. Moonbyul wasn’t exactly a person she could predict. She still knew too little about her and her past to be assured that they would have a future. Solar was simply scared of being the only one to fall deep, she didn’t want to give up her heart that easily when she couldn’t tell yet if the other person was going to cherish it.

Even though Moonbyul kept insisting that this was what she intended to do, Solar had experienced too much disappointment in her life to have blind faith in just charming words. She wasn’t dumb, she knew a personality like Moonbyul could easily attract people and from the various stories she had heard through Wheein and Hwasa, the silver-haired woman had often made use of her charm. Hence the many enemies.

Solar sighed. She could really use a drink right now even if her alcohol tolerance was only slightly above zero. That suddenly reminded her of a certain good-natured barkeeper who had never judged her for ordering juice at the bar counter. Their cute smiley face was very healing to see after a long day of work.

Solar suddenly knew how to get rid of Irene.

 

--

 

“A bar?”

“Yeah, it’s been a long day. You like relaxing in the evening with a drink, don’t you?”

“Well, I do,” Moonbyul scratched her nose, “but I thought you can’t drink much.”

“That’s an exaggeration,” Irene snorted in amusement, “she can’t drink at all. Just one drink and you could probably do barbecue on her face with how hot her cheeks get.”

“Hey!” Solar crossed her arms. “As if you are any better.”

“At least I know my limit.” Irene leaned back in her seat. “Which bar do you have in mind?”

An innocent smile appeared on Solar’s face. “La Rouge.”

Irene narrowed her eyes. “If you want me to leave, you could have just said so.”

Perplexed, Moonbyul stared between the two other women but remained silent.

“No, I honestly want you to accompany us for a bit longer,” Solar said sweetly, “maybe get to know the barkeeper there a bit better. Did you know that Seulgi asked about you last time I was there?”

Irene’s usually composed face turned sour. “I see, the two of you are having a blast making fun of me.”

 “What?” Solar wasn’t quite expecting that reaction. She always thought that Irene was just playing hard to get but she might have discovered a misunderstanding. “Why would she make fun of you?”

When Solar sounded genuinely surprised, Irene faltered. “Isn’t that why she always laughs at me when she sees me?”

“What?” Solar’s voice rose in alert. “No! God heavens no, she’s smiling because she’s happy for goodness sake. She likes you, Irene.”

“But…” Irene blinked rapidly. “She spilled juice onto my lap. And then pushed some napkins into my hands without looking at me.”

“Because she was shy and embarrassed,” Solar groaned and rubbed her forehead. “It was an accident and she couldn’t look you in the eyes because she’s been crushing on you since forever. Why else did you think was I trying to set you up?”

Moonbyul, who had been listening to them with an increasingly amused expression, couldn’t help but snort at the adorable confusion on Irene’s face. “Sounds like an interesting woman.”

“You keep out of it,” Solar pointed at her with a strict finger, to which Moonbyul responded with raising her hands in surrender.

“So…I’ve been avoiding Seulgi for nothing?” Irene asked slowly.

“Yep,” Solar nodded. “But still, I’m relieved we could clear up that misunderstanding. I honestly think that she would be a good match for you.”

Once Irene seemed to have processed the new information, an evil smile returned to her face. “You just don’t want to believe that Moonbyul could be a good match for me too.”

Moonbyul was thankful that she wasn’t drinking or eating anything this time around because Solar’s glare was no joke. She felt that murderous heat in her bones.

“I’ll get the check,” she excused herself and slipped away from the table unnoticed.

Releasing a breath once she was out of hearing range, Moonbyul began to whistle a cheerful tune to herself. Even if she didn’t get to spend the evening alone with Solar, meeting her friend and colleague Irene had been an interesting experience and she was glad to have gotten a glimpse of Solar’s life from another perspective. It really felt like she was starting to be a part of Solar’s life.  

And she hoped that this was just the beginning.