Couldn't Need You More

Killer Instincts

“So much for going slow.”

Moonbyul’s back hit the mattress and she didn’t budge again, chest rapidly heaving up and down as she tried to catch her breath again.

Panting just as heavily besides her and still trying to come down from her high, Solar only acknowledged the comment with a groan. She did agree, of course, but she didn’t need to be reminded of her lack of self-control.

Their resolve had been to get to know each other better before they would try to progress any further as a potential couple. That same resolve had crumbled to dust after spending more than an hour together.

The stares. The touches. The emotional connection they felt building the more they talked. Everything matched so well, felt so natural and familiar yet exciting and brand new. It wasn’t long before talking turned into whispering and whispering turned into silence as their lips were rather busy with each other.

“Good to know that we have ual chemistry too,” Moonbyul breathed as her heart rate slowed down again. “Not that I’ve been wondering about that. Much.”

Solar turned her head to face Moonbyul, strands of hair stuck to her slick forehead. “You don’t need to start lying now.”

Moonbyul grinned. “You’re right. Sorry.” She turned to Solar. “I might have fantasized about this a bit back when you still hated me.”

Solar snorted, hardly surprised. “You’re probably disappointed we didn’t have angry .”

“Solar, I saw you , that’s like the total opposite of disappointment,” Moonbyul sternly said. “Also, don’t rule it out yet. Knowing us, angry might be a frequent thing.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing.”

“It will be a fun thing. Unhealthy, but feeling so damn good. Like most fun things.” Moonbyul shuffled closer. “Speaking of fun things,” she murmured, her tone turning suggestive as she brought her nose to Solar’s collarbone, nudging against her, “what do you think about-”

“No,” Solar groaned, turning on her side with her back to Moonbyul, “not another round, my arms are sore and I can’t feel my legs.”

“I wasn’t about to suggest that,” Moonbyul said with a pout, “though now I guess I know the answer to my second question. And the extent of your stamina. A bit disappointing, to be honest.”

“Don’t make me kick you off the bed.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

Solar was too physically spent to actually make any moves. “You’ll get off easy this time.”

“Oh, I love it when women let me get off,” Moonbyul quipped and dodged a pillow thrown her way. “Hey, hey, easy now. Your stamina is nothing we can’t train. With some hard work and practice and a lot of help from me, of course.”

Solar shot her a glare over her shoulder. “My stamina is fine. Just because I am not a -crazed ert-“

“A -crazed ert?” Moonbyul spluttered, torn between laughing and frowning. “That’s what you think of me?”

“What else am I supposed to think when you can’t keep your hands off my – see, I don’t even know since when your hands have been on my . Get them off me while I’m trying to talk to you.”

“Ouch,” Moonbyul muttered when Solar had slapped her hand away. “I’m not -crazy. I’m just really crazy about you.”

“Oh yeah?” Solar suppressed a smug smile. “Just what about me makes you so crazy? And answer seriously.”

“How can I stay serious if I’ve got your s right in front of me,” Moonbyul said incredulously. “That’s like two of the reasons right there.”

“Are you objectifying me?” Solar asked with a raised eyebrow and she pulled up her blankets to cover herself.

“What? No, no!” Moonbyul propped herself up with her elbow. “I mean, sure, your body’s insanely hot, but it wouldn’t appeal to me that much if it wasn’t attached to your personality and your character. It’s like a cherry on top, I guess.”

“Hm.” Still deciding whether she should be pleased with that answer or let Moonbyul suffer a bit more, Solar her back. “My personality…what part of it made you like me?”

Moonbyul lazily played with Solar’s fingers. “No, not just a part. Every part of it. The exact combination of characteristics that only you have.”

Solar’s mouth opened slightly in surprise. She didn’t dare to turn her head to Moonbyul and face her because she didn’t want to risk falling deeper into something she couldn’t control.

“What, was I greasy again?” Moonbyul muttered when she was met with silence. “I meant it.”

“Say it again,” came the sudden request.

“What?” Moonbyul’s mouth quirked into a grin. “You want me to repeat that? To your ego some more?”

“Say it again,” Solar whispered, turning to Moonbyul and pulling her closer by her neck until their lips could feel each other’s breath, “but this time only with your body.”

And as she watched the fire in Moonbyul’s eyes ignite once again, she knew she was in for a long night.

 

--

 

“Wow,” Wheein commented as soon as Solar sat down at the café table opposite of her. “You’re practically glowing, Solar. You’ve had , didn’t you? And good one at that.”

“Can you keep your voice down? There are kids here,” Solar hissed, nervously smiling at the family sitting at the table next to them of which the mother had just shot Wheein a glare.

“You asking me to keep my voice down is so hypocritical,” Wheein said with a laugh, “I’m sure Moonbyul will back me up in this.”

“Wheein, I can leave again if you’re only here to annoy me,” Solar huffed. “Why did you want to meet up anyway? Don’t you spend every free minute you get with Hwasa?”

“Actually, no, I don’t. Everyone needs to have their own space from time to time, it’s healthy for a relationship, you know?” Wheein said earnestly. “She has a new job to settle in to and I have new exhibitions to prepare for. That makes the time we spend together more precious.”

Solar just blinked in response. She had just spent an entire week with Moonbyul without stepping a foot outside her apartment even once. In the majority of that time, both of them had been either or wearing oversized shirts to be decently dressed when the ordered food arrived.

“So, what have you been up to the past few days, hm?” Wheein asked with a teasing grin as if she already knew. “Irene told me you took a week off work, been feeling sick. But you haven’t texted me once which you would usually do if you were sick.”

“You don’t sound worried,” Solar answered with a dry tone, knowing that Wheein was only out to .

“I actually was when I first found out you took days off work,” Wheein honestly replied, “because what if you were alone at home, too sick to call for help? But then Hwasa told me that she had tracked the GPS signal of Moonbyul’s phone and found it pinging from your apartment. I guess the rest was pretty clear, so we decided not to disturb you.”

“So you just called me here to embarrass me?”

Wheein laughed and raised her tea cup in cheers. “Mainly, yes, but also to ask you how you’ve been doing. You know, it’s been a while since you’ve had a relationship…”

“We’re not talking about that,” Solar resolutely said, crossing her arms. “I had some fun, yes, but I’m not dating Moonbyul.”

Stunned, Wheein forgot to sip on her tea and almost spilled it on herself when she brought it to . “What?” She set down her cup and cleared . “I’m sorry. But, what?!”

“It’s…complicated.” Solar let out a long sigh. “Wheein, you know what her previous job was, I can’t just forget that. There are so many uncertainties and I’m not ready to commit myself to someone who has a lot of baggage still attached to them. She is still in the middle of working things out and I have a demanding job, too, so…”

“I mean, I guess I can understand, having been in the same situation and all,” Wheein lowly muttered. “And I’m not going to defend them or rationalize what they do…but Hwasa as a person has never changed, she is still the same woman I first met at an art exhibition. And she decided to turn her life around for me. I can’t change her past but I know she’s trying to create a future where both of us have a place in it. And I think Moonbyul’s doing the same thing for you.”

Solar chewed on her bottom lip. “I don’t doubt that her feelings are genuine…”

Wheein furrowed her brows. “Then why are you hesitating?”

“Because feelings can change.” Solar ran a hand through her locks in frustration. “She changed so easily for me, who can say that she won’t change again for the next woman who attracts her?”

“What are you talking about, she’s obviously crazy about you,” Wheein argued, but Solar cut her off.

“We’ve met like three times before she decided that she knew enough about me for her to want to change!” Solar said in exasperation. “First time we met? She only cared about getting into my pants. Second time we met? Just as bad. Third time? You were there, we almost got killed.”

“Yes, the first few times were bad,” Wheein slowly agreed, “but, and hear me out, you have technically met her three more times after that. When she stalked you outside the hospital.”

Solar rubbed her eyes. “Yes, that’s true, but I don’t see how this made a big difference.”

“Not for you maybe, but for her.” Wheein shrugged. “Look, I’m not trying to defend her or anything, she sure is a sleazy flirt -“

“You sound like you experienced it firsthand,” Solar said with a flat voice. 

Wheein coughed and turned her head away. “It was nothing, it was way before she met you, you know I knew her first because of Hwasa –“

“Okay, I’m done.” Solar grabbed her handbag and scooted back with her chair.

“Wait, Solar, come on,” Wheein got a hold of Solar’s wrist and kept her in her seat. “She was just joking around. She knew Hwasa was interested in me so she wanted to by flirting with me. I’m sure she’s already learned her lesson or so Hwasa told me.”

“That’s just great,” Solar said sarcastically. “Really helps me with my trust issues.”

“Okay, calm down, Solar. You’ve spent literally every second of your last few days with her and did she pay attention to anything else but you during that time? I’m pretty sure that she hasn’t picked up the phone even once because Hwasa couldn’t reach her.”

Solar bit on her tongue. That was a fair argument.

“I’m not saying you should jump into a lifelong commitment with her or anything,” Wheein said with a shrug. “But you could give it a chance. You look happier. And you’re finally getting laid.”

“Here we go again...”

“Don’t roll your eyes at me, you know it’s been a long time-”

“I’m really leaving now.”

“Solar, just remember what I said!”

“That she flirted with my best friend? Sure, I’ll remember that when I punch her stupid face…”

“Hey, don’t blame her, I mean have you seen me?” Wheein teased and gestured down her own body. “She has good taste.”

“Wheein, I will slap you.”

“Okay, fine, fine,” Wheein laughed, raising her hands defensively, “I’m done teasing you. Oh, and before I forget, let’s go on a double date, how about it? You and your not-girlfriend plus me and my definitely girlfriend.”

“No. Definitely not. You know how it ended last time.”

“What? Come on,” Wheein pouted. “It’s not going to happen again. And I know they are going to be more careful about choosing a safe place this time.”

“You don’t know that,” Solar said through tightly drawn lips, slinging her handbag over her shoulder. She stood up to leave. “I’m still traumatized from that night. Seeing us four together just reminds me of that.”

“Which is why it’s even more important for us to overwrite that night with better memories,” Wheein insisted, standing up as well to be on eye-level with Solar. “You and I are best friends, right?”

“Which I constantly question, but yes, let’s assume we are because I have no other friends.”

 “And Hwasa and Moonbyul are also inseparable.”

“Which I also find questionable.”

“Shh.” Wheein put her hands on her hips. “What I’m saying is, is that we will be seeing a lot of each other since Hwasa and I intend to last for a while. So it might be best if I get to know Moonbyul a bit better and you Hwasa.”

“What? Absolutely no,” Solar furiously shook her head. “I don’t want to be left alone in a room with Hwasa. She’s scary.”

Wheein snorted in laughter. “Hwasa? Scary? Please. If you knew her better, you’d know she’s the softest person ever. Come on, it’s going to be fun. Us four, next Friday.”

Letting out a long sigh, Solar slowly shook her head. “Why do I have the feeling that no matter what I say, I’ll end up on a double date anyway.”

Wheein grinned. “Because you’re not dumb. Not always anyways.”

“You really want to get slapped, don’t you?”

 

--

 

“So, about your girlfriend…”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“Really? You’re kidding.”

“No, Irene, I’m not. We’re not dating.”

“Huh. She’s been taking you home after work for the past week. You greet each other with a kiss. On the lips. Lasting seconds.”

“Irene, not now,” Solar mumbled, her lips moving behind a green mask. “In case you forgot, I’m poking inside a patient’s brain right now.”

Around her, the assisting interns and nurses shared long looks before they turned their heads back to the task at hand. Which was a delicate operation on a patient with brain tumor with Solar and Irene as the main operating doctors.   

“I know,” Irene said neutrally, switching tools so she could make another incision. “I was just asking the question that was on everyone’s mind in here. The tension was suffocating me.”

Solar looked up and her eyes made a sweeping round in the operation room. No one returned her gaze as they pretended to be absorbed in the operation.

“Let’s just focus, okay?” Solar growled lightly. “I won’t discuss my private life during a surgery with three other people in the room. Who should be minding their own business, might I add.”

Irene hummed in a non-committal tone. “Curiosity is natural. Especially in your case.”

“There is no case. Case closed.”

“Wasn’t that a paradox?” One of the assisting nurses asked quietly.

Solar briefly closed her eyes in frustration. “No more talking about anything that isn’t related to work, okay?”

“Good. Speaking of work, you seem really eager to leave it ever since that attractive stranger has started to fetch you from it.” Irene said casually while her eyes were focused on her work, rarely blinking.

Solar ground her teeth. Irene could be relentless.  

“And she always shows up with a different sports car,” Irene stated as a fact. “Say, what is she doing for a living? Do I need to consider changing careers?”

Solar’s fingers slightly twitched and she almost made a mistake with her cutting tools. “It’s not my place to say.”

“Ah, must be a really rich person then. So mysterious.” Irene changed tools again. “If you’re not dating her, mind giving me her number? I could use a new washing machine.”

“I’m not giving you her number,” Solar grumbled, her brows furrowing. “And you can afford more than just a washing machine.”

“I’ve already invested in a new drying machine. No new investments this month. Unless you can hook me up with your interesting friend?”

“I’m not,” Solar pressed out between gritted teeth, “hooking you up with anyone.”

“Says the one who tried to set me up with that clumsy barkeeper,” Irene scoffed.

“Occasionally clumsy, yes, but also very cute and nice,” Solar countered. “I still think you should give Seulgi at least a chance.”

“Okay, now we officially stop talking about anything that isn’t work.”

Behind Solar’s mask, a smug grin appeared on her lips. “Finally.”

 

--

 

“Don’t forget about what I said,” Irene teasingly said when Solar put on her coat, ready to leave.

“Already can’t remember,” Solar replied, fixing her hair and checking on her make-up through the front camera of her phone.

“Do you need my lipstick? Just in case you want to look good before making out.”

“Keep this up and I will give Seulgi your number.”

 Irene narrowed her eyes. “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Try me.” Solar stared back.

“Fine. No more words from me. Enjoy your evening.” Irene flicked her hair behind her shoulder and walked off.

Solar breathed in relief and quickly made her way outside the hospital, already spotting the familiar sight of a slim figure leaning against a sports car. A smile automatically appeared on her face.

“Hey,” Moonbyul greeted her first, pushing herself off the car, her hands already reaching for Solar’s waist.

“Hey.” Solar brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear and leaned into the other woman, gladly accepting the firm kiss placed on .

“You look beautiful,” Moonbyul murmured, lips brushing against Solar’s forehead. “Are you sure you don’t want to ditch the double date and just let me take you home instead?”

“You know I’d never hear the end of it if I let Wheein down,” Solar muttered, closing her eyes to fight the temptation. “Come on, let’s get this over with.”

“Alright. But just know that I won’t stop complaining throughout the entire thing.” Moonbyul opened the passenger door of her car. “Get in, so I can get you out of your clothes sooner.”

Solar got into the car, not without slapping Moonbyul on the shoulder. “Behave.”

“Don’t I always?”

“Almost never.”

“Ouch.” Moonbyul walked around the car and plopped down into the driver’s seat. “Maybe I should ditch you instead.”

“As if.” Solar noticed the luxurious leather interior of the car and carefully touched it, remembering the conversation she had during her latest operation. “I’ve been meaning to ask you something but never thought it was appropriate.”

“My safeword is ‘taxes’, glad you finally asked,” Moonbyul said with a smirk, giving Solar a playful glance before she started the engine and drove onto the main street.

“Urgh,” Solar rolled her eyes. “First of all, stay serious, will you? Second of all, ‘taxes’? Do I even want to know?”

“It’s obvious, isn’t it? Your safeword should be the least y word possible. And thinking about taxes always ruins whatever good mood you had.”

Solar rubbed her eyes. “Okay, fine. No, it’s not fine, you almost made me forget what I wanted to ask in the first place.” She looked at Moonbyul with a careful expression. “How much exactly did you earn in your last...profession to be able to afford like, what, a dozen sports cars?”

Moonbyul chuckled lowly. “I don’t own any of them, that would be just excessive and unnecessary, also I can never decide which one I like best. I rent them based on my mood.”

“That wasn’t an answer to my question.”

“Hm, well,” Moonbyul hummed, “never really liked to talk about money. But since I want us to be honest to each other…Let’s say, I didn’t accept a job until it started offering a sum with six digits.”

“Wait…in what currency?”

“Always in US-Dollars. For international transfer purposes and other probably barely legal reasons.”

Solar blinked once, her face entirely blank. “You’re joking.”

“Money’s never a joking matter to me,” Moonbyul answered honestly. “You’re talking to one of the best in the field. If there was an official ranking, I’d be in the highest tier. And that had its price.”

Solar still hadn’t blinked. “And…how is that…decided?”

“Mostly by experience. How fast, how clean, how quiet you get your job done.” Moonbyul’s lips had drawn into a tight line. “Let’s say…I had a packed resumé.”

“Oh god.”

“But it’s all in the past now, I’ve saved up enough to last for a couple life-times,” Moonbyul hurriedly added. “I don’t need the money anymore. I quit for good.”

Solar let out a long breath. “I know, it’s just…I can’t believe people would pay so much to kill someone.”

“Oh, that’s nothing,” Moonbyul dismissively waved with her hand. “I’m just getting the breadcrumbs. These organizations, whether criminal or corporate, they’re pushing millions and billions around the globe. What I earn in comparison is miniscule.”

Solar stared at her. “How much, Moonbyul.”

“There is no fixed number, Solar, it always depends on the target-“

“What if I asked you to kill off the leaders of a small street gang? How much would I need to pay?”

“Hm,” Moonbyul decided to entertain Solar, “depending on where they operate, what they’ve specialized in and how strong their network is, I’d say you’d need to offer me at least a quarter million to get my interest.”

“What?” Solar’s eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. “A quarter million?”

“That’s my usual fee for multiple targets of minor threat levels,” Moonbyul said with a shrug. “It’s a package deal. You know like ‘buy one, get one free’. Or in my case, ‘kill three, get one free’. Or maybe ‘pay for three dead, get a fourth head’.”

“I’m going to be sick.”

“Please don’t, I really like this car so far.”

“Just…” Solar breathed in, trying to wrap her mind around the new information. “You once told me the government hires you a lot.”

“Hired. Past tense, Solar.” Moonbyul drummed on the steering wheel with her fingers when they stopped at a red light. “And yes, they had the most to gain by using my services.”

“Why?”

“Because they’d save tons of money. Why waste tax money and other resources on persecuting criminals that you’ll never catch anyway? And even if you do, do you know how much it costs to keep one prisoner alive? A lot.” Moonbyul’s expression was grim. “No one likes to admit it, but no one truly thinks that every life is equal and worth saving.”

Solar slowly leaned her head back against the headrest. “Wow. So you’re saying it’s much cheaper to kill off criminals than persecute them the legal way.”

“By far,” Moonbyul said in a casual tone. “But not only that. Crime makes the population anxious. If the population gets anxious, the government gets anxious. About staying in power.”

“So they hire you to eliminate anything that could threaten social peace which again could threaten the ruling party’s power.”

Moonbyul gave her a grin. “Did I ever mention that I find intelligence very y?”

Solar smirked. “Of course you would. Opposites attract, don’t they?”

“Oh, and witty, too,” Moonbyul laughed, shaking her head. “You know, I never had a type before I met you.”

Feeling her cheeks heat up, Solar looked outside the window. “Smooth talker.”

“Hm,” Moonbyul wrinkled her nose in amusement, “more like truth talker.”

“And a rich stalker,” Solar added. “People at work have been talking about you.”

“Oh, gossip, love it,” Moonbyul quipped sarcastically. “You did defend my honor, right? About me not being a stalker?”

Solar in a breath through her teeth. “Well…”

“Solar.”

“I mean, you have been fetching me from work with a new flashy car every day, how am I supposed to deny that?”

“Not deny it, but maybe spin it in a more positive light?” Moonbyul argued, using her free right hand to wildly gesture. “I don’t want to seem like a creep in front of your colleagues.”

“Why does it matter what they think, you don’t even know them,” Solar said with a shrug.

“Yeah, well, maybe someday I might get to-” Moonbyul bit on her tongue to stop herself from talking, expression falling.

Solar looked to her when Moonbyul suddenly fell silent. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Moonbyul didn’t return her gaze. “Everything’s just fine. We’re almost there, by the way.”

Confused, Solar scanned the other woman’s face more closely. “You’re dodging. Tell me.”

Moonbyul’s chest heaved with a long sigh. “I almost said that I might get to know your colleagues someday. But that was just me getting ahead of myself because we’re not in a relationship that would warrant an introduction. We’re not lovers.”

Solar swallowed, feeling her heart constricting. She wasn’t ready to talk about their future yet, she liked what they had going right now, it was thrilling and exciting yet nothing too serious because she didn’t know if she could trust Moonbyul to that extent yet.

“Moonbyul, I’m not-“

“Ready, I know,” Moonbyul finished the sentence, unable to suppress her frustration. The car came to a stop. “We’ve arrived. Come on, let’s talk about it later.” She pulled the car keys out of the ignition. “I’m actually looking forward to meeting Wheein without all the panicked screaming and the imminent threat of death. Let’s go.”

Moonbyul had gotten out of the car before Solar could reply.

“I’m sorry.”