Disaster

Castor

The buffet served on the cruise was exquisite. Everyone’s eyes lighted up at the wide spread of cuisines in the dining room, Seokjin already wanting to rush forward, in danger of drooling. If it weren’t for Namjoon to hold him back, he might already claimed the whole dining room as his. The seven has a nice and full meal, ending their first night of the cruise nicely. They went back to their respective rooms, satisfied and happy.

There was quite a storm outside the safe haven inside the cruise, quite the contrast with the perfect weather that afternoon, thunder roaring and wind blowing strongly, but there was nothing more than just a slight ripple on Taehyung’s soda. Jungkook was awed by the stability of the cruise. He thought back on the conversation with Yoongi on the deck, silently picturing the crew of the cruise working meticulously in the control room, determined to keep the cruise moving. Jungkook admired these people a lot.

He shared a room with Jimin, Hoseok and Taehyung. He was wary of having to share a room with the noisiest trio of the group, but he didn’t mind at all. He enjoyed listening to them bickering, laughing crazily over little nothings. Like now, the trio were squeezed in on one bunk bed, laughing over some video on Taehyung’s phone. Jungkook would be delighted to join them, honestly, but it looked like there were not enough space for four person there. Jungkook was just looking at them with so much fondness in his eyes until the whole cruise trembled.

The laughter abruptly stopped, everyone in the room alarmed, staring at each other in sheer alarm. Taehyung’s phone had long slipped out of his hand, now lying on the floor of the room, screen cracked and black. The decorative fake flowers had flipped over too, pink tulips and white lilies scattering near the shattered vase, exposing their plastic stems and non-existent roots. The room was suddenly too silent, only heavy breaths audible.

The door was barged open, and the rest of their members rushed in, Seokjin’s eyes frantic and panicked, Yoongi in remarkable wakefulness, and finally Namjoon, phone in one hand, voice collected but alarm evident in his eyes. “We have to evacuate right now, the waves are rough and the ship is unstable, it might sink.”

“We’ll all get through this, right?” Jimin choked up from the corner, voice thick with tears. “Yeah we will. Now GO.” Namjoon ordered, and the group hastily started moving until another tremble knocked them all onto the floor. Taehyung started to scream, Jungkook thought at first out of panic, but then realised that he has landed on the shards of broken vase. The ship started shaking violently, and panicked screams could be heard everywhere on the cruise. With astounding strength, Hoseok managed to push Taehyung up into one of the bunk beds, and examined the younger’s wounds. Fortunately, only both his pams were hurt, blood seeping out from various cuts. Hoseok proceeded to remove the tiny shards from the wounds, promising to bring him a first-aid kit later.

What he didn't say was, if they made it out alive.

The ship continued to tremble, leaving the group’s effort to exit the room in vain. Dejectedly, Namjoon ordered everyone to sit on the beds. “Well, this might be the end of us,” he said.

Jungkook was surprised: Namjoon wasn’t anyone who gives up this easily. “I’m glad to have known you all, you guys are amazing, I hope to meet you again in the next life-““No we must run, at least try our best!” Seokjin interrupted Namjoon, screaming angrily in an unnatural shrill voice, tears streaming down his face. “This won’t be the end of us! At least- at least, run onto the deck! There will be lifeboats!”

While Namjoon took the idea to consideration, Jungkook took the time to closely examine all his dearest brothers. The ship shook vigorously, but his eyes were steady. Namjoon being deep in thougnt, seemingly collected but actually panicking inside. Seokjin, hair dishevelled, still looking beautiful even when his faces were wet with tears. Yoongi, eyes alert, sitting like a rock, indifferent outside but bewildered inside. Hoseok, wrapping an arm around Taehyung, who was still staring at his wounded hands. Jimin, grabbing the bed post tightly while trying not to break down.

Jungkook wondered if this would be the last time he see them sitting in a room together. Even if the situation was serious, he had to mentally thank s, just for being there. Seeing him spacing out, Yoongi gave him a worried look. Jungkook managed to give him the slightest lift of the corners of his lips before Namjoon's unusually shaky voice sounded out.

"Jinnie hyung's right. Let's go."

Everything was chaotic. The seven went out of the room with their best efforts, and was immediately caught in a frantic crowd of passengers trying to get onto the deck. By the time Jungkook neared the stairs heading to the deck, he was hopelessly lost. He managed to sqeeze his way onto the open space, and was immediately slapped in the face with a heavy curtain of rain and sea water combined. The wind was piercingly cold, and people were running around everywhere. Jungkook tried to turn to look for s, but they were nowhere to be seen. In despair, Jungkook ran towards the edge of the deck, trying to spot one of the lifeboats.

Suddenly, the whole cruise tilted dangerously sideward, and Jungkook would have fallen into the merciless sea if without his death grip on the barriers. Some people weren’t that lucky, however, as they fell and slid across the deck, over the barrier, and into the raging sea. Jungkook remained glued against the barrier, squeezing his eyes close and hoped that none of s ended up that way. The cruise, in much effort, tried to align itself to float on the sea, but another wave hit it and half of the deck was soon submerged in water. Jungkook understood that the ship was now lying parallel to the sea, and would start sinking soon, but he couldn’t let go of the barrier and fall, he didn’t want to die.

His palms was slippery on the metal barrier, and it was so cold, so cold that Jungkook could feel his strength straining. Even being the most powerful in his group, he couldn’t hold on much longer, not in this condition. His face was wet, from the rain, from the sea water, and from his tears. His arm was running out of energy, becoming numb. Tenderly, he let go of the barrier and felt himself slide against the floor of the deck, gravity directing him into the dark sea. He heard a familiar scream, perhaps belonging to Seokjin or Jimin, and slippery hands trying to grab him by his ankles, but he kept falling.

Just as he fell into the sea, he knocked onto something floating on the sea, perhaps a wooden board, or other things. The waves are still violent, throwing him all around, and Jungkook understood that his odds of surviving was slim. He thought of the happy times he had had with his family, his friends, his fans, and most of all, with s.

He let the sea carry him out, to nowhere.

--------------------

Jungkook snapped into consciousness, part from shock, part from the numbing sensation waist down. He was still floating on the sea, holding onto a small wooden board. He was exhausted, yes, waterlogged, perhaps, but very much alive. The sea was calm already, and there was nothing but darkness surrounding him. He was thoroughly drenched, and there was no one around him.

No one.

Jungkook knew the odds of him surviving, floating alone through the dark and unknown sea, was slim. 

Jungkook wanted to cry, but he couldn’t. He was sure he had lost his brothers. Being the wonderful selfless beings they are, they might had even given up the seats on the lifeboat for the elders, women and children. Plus, one of their members was lost in the sea, perhaps lost forever.

Instead of wallowing in self-pity, Jungkook started to move slowly. He kicked along the waves, letting himself move, but he had no idea which direction to go. Soon, exhaustion kicked in and Jungkook was tempted to pass out again.

But then, he heard something. The engine of a motorboat, rumbling in the distance. Jungkook tried to scream, but he couldn’t. His throat was scratchy, probably from crying, and he couldn’t even raise his hand, as he might fall off the board.

Jungkook tried to let out a sound, but his voice cracked and he started to cough. Was he hallucinating when the motorboat started heading towards him? A flashlight beam was directed toward his face, causing him to squint his eyes in discomfort. Strong hands hauled him up into the boat, and Jungkook was finally out of the icy sea water. He felt so thankful, so relieved, and so exhausted, but the men’s voices were too loud, and it was hurting his ears. Without himself noticing, he started crying again.

“Hey, were you from the cruise accident before?” A voice questioned him, and he nodded as much as his body allowed him. Another voice started to ask him something more, but he just couldn’t focus on anything.

“I think I have seen him somewhere.”

“Wait, aren’t you one of the guys from-“

Jungkook’s senses finally gave out, and he passed out cold.

--------------------

I don't really think this is angsty enough... but I've tried my best. Thanks to all the readers, subcribers and upvotes! 

170928