Layover Beauty

We Are Unbreakable

Traveling alone has its own benefits. You don't have to deal with people when it comes to conflicts of interest. But traveling alone can also get lonely at times, especially when you're in a flight for an extensive amount of hours until you reach your final destination. I'd rather have somebody right next to me that I know compared to strangers who may deal you great annoyance depending on the different circumstances. God forbid you also have someone behind you kicking or moving your seat constantly.

It was time for me to come back home from my trip to New York. New York always seemed promising to visit although I should have probably chosen to visit when the weather was warmer instead of it being really cold. Almost getting trapped in snow wasn't the best feeling to have on my stay there. I'll probably visit again within a few years from now but thinking of how long the total flight is and thinking of the layovers makes me recant my wishes.

One of the layovers I had from New York was Chicago. The state of Illinois seem to be in the same but better state weather-wise compared to the snow-filled New York. My layover here though is about four hours long. What am I to do for four hours straight? I'm glad that there seems to be a lot of restaurants or snack bars within this massive airport. There were many others waiting for their flights in the terminals and others that are walking around or hurrying to get to their next destination. The sight felt like I was in a movie, seeing how busy the lives of Americans seem to be. It was the same sight I've seen in the airport in New York.

Before I even pulled my massive handheld device out of my backpack to watch some movies and pass time by, a beautiful enchantress caught my eye. She seemed to be a woman of elegance, wearing shiny and classy accessories on her ears and her neck. She dressed so simple for the cold weather with the fitted tan trench coat that hugged her curves, brown leather boots, and blue denim jeans. Her hair was long and straight with a clear view of her perfectly flawless face, hair tucked behind each ear. She seemed to be here for the flight going to my next layover, San Francisco.

Before I knew it, it seemed that the elegant woman have noticed that I was looking at her all along. I hope that I didn't look stupid at all, especially hoping that I didn't look like a creep. How can I help it when her vibrant aura caught my eye? Nevertheless, I took my flat tablet device out of my backpack and turned it on to watch some movies.

 

Hours passed by and it seemed like the flight to San Francisco was supposed to fly soon. Seeing from the massive glass windows though, it doesn't seem like the weather will permit us from flying anytime soon. An enormous amount of snow was falling from the grey clouds. The wind was no help at all when all you see the snow seem like white dots falling by diagonally in a fast, speedy manner to the ground.

Not long after, the speakers within the airport initiated a little chime, catching everyone's attention before an airport staff deployed a message.

"Ladies and gentleman, can I have your attention please? We regret to inform you that a snowstorm in Chicago has delayed several flights," the staff announced, causing dismay to passengers throughout the airport as some groaned and got frustrated over the announcement, "please check the arrivals and departure boards on the concourses for each main terminal for more specific information and updates on individual flights. For passengers who will miss connecting flights, please go to the customer service desk of your respective airlines for assistance. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Soon enough, a massive influx of passengers within our terminal started making their way to the flight desk and started chanting their frustrations and questions to the two airline staff that clearly had nothing to do with the delay of the flights throughout the airport. The beautiful woman from earlier seemed pretty calm amidst the whole thing and watched everyone hound the staff desk. My English was pretty limited but I understood what was clearly going on and why these people show their frustrations. The only thing I couldn't seem to put my mind into is the fact that they're very vocal about them.

The beautiful woman was looking at me amidst all the chaos and commotion going on in each service desk around us. She stood up from her seat and sat two seats away from me. She leaned over to my direction and asked in my native language, "are you Korean?"

I nodded my head to answer. I could not believe she came over and is now talking to me.

"Can you speak English?" she asked in my native language again. I'm assuming she's also Korean.

"Not really. I know very little. If anything, I have my own translator. It can be very frustrating though," I answered her, trying to pull up my phone from my pockets to show her the translator application that I was using throughout my whole traveling adventures.

"You know what's going on right? Flights getting delayed, it seems," the beautiful woman sighed, "I don't think there's any hope that this flight is going to fly today, seeing as how the weather is. You should definitely get that sorted out when this whole mess calms down if you have any other connecting flights after the arrival to San Francisco."

"I am. I trust that this will soon die down and that a proper announcement will be announced soon as to give proper direction," I answered her, pausing the movie that I was watching and taking off my earphones to give her all my attention, "I would have guessed that they were aware that a snow storm was going to happen. They could have changed my connecting flight from back in New York to somewhere else instead of sending me here to Chicago."

"That I would agree," she giggled, "anyway, my name's Jessica. What's yours?"

"Taeyeon," I answered simply. Jessica as a name definitely fit her perfectly.

All of a sudden, another announcement was heard through the speakers but it seemed local this time.

"Flight number 369 going to San Francisco has been cancelled. Passengers with connecting flights after San Francisco, please head on over to the service desk. We will try to accomodate every passenger and re-route their flights unless they would wish to cancel. Passengers needing cancellations or refunds in regards to their bookings, please visit our website for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused," the flight staff at the service desk announced.

There were passengers still hounding the service desk while some decided to leave the terminal with their carry-on baggages. At least the commotion calmed down a bit. I decided to stand in line so I could figure out what's going to happen to me and my remaining connected flights. Luckily, I was able to catch the attention of the other service desk attendant while the other tried to cater to the others that were frustrated and demanding.

"May I help you, ma'am?" the attendant asked.

"Yes... um... connected flight?" I tried my best to communicate with the limited English I knew.

"Yes," the attendant nodded, "everyone with connected flights after San Francisco are being re-routed to different flights. May I have your ID or passport to look up your flight details?"

I gave my passport to the attendant as I deciphered that she may have needed my passport for further assistance.

The attendant punched in my details onto the system and scrunched her eyes while she puckered her lips, trying to figure out my flight connection it seems. After she was done, she printed off a new itinerary for me to follow through and a voucher, it seems, for a discounted rate at select hotels.

"Rest assured that your check-in baggages will arrive at your final destination safely to your final destination. But if you would like to claim your check-in baggage, please head on over down to the baggage service desk and they can further help you out," the attendant continued, "since you're away from home, we are giving you a discount voucher to use on hotels listed below."

I didn't know what she really said all along but all I knew was that it was about check-in baggages and going to the baggage service desk for further assistance. I'm not entirely sure if I needed it though. Hopefully, I'm not stranded here for an extensive amount of time. I could just probably wash my clothes overnight and wear them again for the flight set for me the next day. Thankfully, I have a discount voucher for a night stay while I wait for the flight tomorrow but it's quite frustrating that I would still have to pay out of pocket because of this.

Jessica stood up from her seat and went to the service desk for the same thing it seems. She got her new itinerary and a voucher that was the same as mine. She looked at me in the eye after and walked towards me.

"Are you traveling alone?" she asked in Korean, "I am too. I figured since you're stuck here, I might as well assist you until your next destination."

I don't know whether to trust going along with Jessica or not. But since I'm here for one more night, it doesn't seem bad to have some company, especially one who speaks your language. I agreed to the arrangement and we both sat down again, looking up at the hotels that were part of the discounted rate with her phone. The Hilton Rosemont/O'Hare was probably the best choice as it was on the same grounds as the airport. With that decision, we took our carry-on baggage and walked towards the hotel with Jessica leading the direction.

 

Upon checking in at the front desk, I stayed behind, waiting for Jessica to finish her check-in process. She turned around to me and asked if I would rather just share the hotel room with her so I didn't have to spend extra for a hotel room. I was quite nervous since she's indeed a stranger. Isn't it too over the top to spend a hotel room with another stranger that you've just met? But the more I thought about it, I actually didn't have much spare money to spend and she seemed trustworthy and rich enough to even bother doing anything to me or my belongings. I agreed in the end as I walked and stood next to her.

"One room, two beds for two guests please. Here's our voucher as well," Jessica told the front desk staff in perfect English. It doesn't seem like she's a native of South Korea. I wonder if she fully resides in the US.

After a few more exchanges and signing of papers, Jessica gave me one of the card keys that were given to us and we walked to the elevator to proceed in our hotel room. I was still a bit skeptical as to how friendly Jessica seemed to be. Is this too good to be true? Is she an angel sent from above?

Upon arrival to our room, I ran to the window and opened the curtains. I looked at the view from the outside. I could still see the snow falling speedily. It didn't seem like the snow storm was going to stop anytime soon. The whole airport was covered with snow. It was hard to tell where the airplane runways were.

"I wish we could at least explore Chicago but I'm guessing most establishments would have been closed anyway and it's probably too cold to walk around outside," Jessica sighed as she placed her small luggage on top of the bed that was further from the window and opened it up.

I turned to her and hopped onto the bed closest to the window. I nodded in response.

"It would have been nice," I told her, "since it's just the afternoon, I wonder if they served any meals here."

Jessica looked at a little pamphlet by the night stand and walked over to it, picking it up and reading through it. "It seems like there's a few themed dining areas within this hotel. There's also a a little cafe downstairs that have grab-and-go options if you want," Jessica told me as she kept looking through the pamphlet.

"What are the other restaurants downstairs?" I asked her as I sat up from the bed, watching her read the pamphlet.

Jessica closed down the pamphlet and put it neatly back on top of the night stand.

"Come on," Jessica hovered me over, "let's look around the restaurants available and open downstairs so we could figure out where to eat."

"Let's go!" I said in excitement as my empty stomach seemed rather happy it was getting its fill again for the day.

 

We went down to see that there were two restaurants called the Andiamo and the Gaslight Club. There was also the Caffe Mercato that Jessica had told me earlier which offered grab-and-go choices. There was also the Sports Edition Bar where you can also dine-in but it was more-so catered for sports fans and those that wanted something greasy with their beer. We looked at the menus of each option and I thought of going to the Sports Edition Bar instead. Might as well embrace American culture with their greasiness, am I right?

Jessica and I sat on a table and waited for a server to cater to us. When one arrived, we immediately told him what we wanted to order without having to wait for the menus handed to us. The server was surprised that we knew exactly what we wanted and went ahead to the kitchen to give us our orders. He came back to us, serving us glasses of water and giving us straws as complimentary. Jessica took one of the straws, peeled off the paper wrapping, and placed it on her glass of water before taking a sip.

To clear the air, I decided to get to know Jessica further, starting with, "are you just visiting Chicago?"

Jessica placed the glass of water back down on top of the table where it was placed initially and nodded her head. "I was just here for vacation," she began, "I've always wanted to see what Chicago was like. But what about you? What made you decide to go to New York?"

I did remember I have mentioned to her that I came from New York. I answered, "just like you, I've always wanted to see what New York was like. You know how in the movies, they showed New York as a really big city? Well I guess that's just one part of New York. I should have definitely planned better and went over there on a rather not-so-chilly time." I laughed afterwards when I explained my bad planning.

"At least you could say that you've touched New York snow?" Jessica joked and laughed along with me. Somehow I feel at ease with her.

We continued the conversation as our food arrived. My mouth immediately watered at the huge burger I ordered. It was as greasy as one could imagine it would be. The burger seemed a bit dry though. To think that it's a big hotel restaurant, I would think that it's at least top notch, but I guess I thought wrong. But I was too hungry to care so I ate all of it bite after bite. I noticed that Jessica was just intently watching me gobble all the food down to my stomach and chuckled when I stopped to notice her.

"I'm sorry," Jessica apologized as she laughed, covered by her right hand, "it's just funny how you seem to love that burger so much. Or that you must've been hungry for a while. I could only imagine what you've been feeling."

I put my the rest of my burger down on top of the plate and wiped my hands and mouth with the cloth napkin that was previously on my lap. I felt rather embarassed. After all, for a girl with class like her, I'm sure it's weird to see someone eat in such a speed and lack of manners.

"You're fine," Jessica's laughed dwindled down, she was waving her free hand at me, "please continue. I'm sorry."

"I'm alright. I'm already full anyway," I replied, still embarrased.

"Oh my god, Taeyeon," Jessica giggled, "please don't mind me. I should be the one watching myself over what I say."

"It's fine," I waved my hand, "the burger was too dry for me to finish. I would have hoped they served quality food. What's with America and hotel food?"

At this point, Jessica had stopped laughing. She took her glass of water and sipped on it once again before placing it back on top of the table. She answered, "Americans usually go somewhere else for food as hotel food prices are too steep for their liking. So I'm going to have to guess that the hotel cooks don't have a care for the food they are making. You'll probably have to go to a five star hotel that's probably out of most people's budget to even see quality when it comes to hotel food. There's quite a few cheap or medium-priced hotels that have considerably good food though."

"I guess I should do further research on which hotels have them. But eitherway, I don't mind eating outside the hotel," I sighed, "the only thing about that though the convenience."

"I think that hotel foods are overpriced because of that solely, it's convenience," Jessica nodded, "I would see no reason for it to be expensive, especially when the food is like this."

 

After we were done with our food, we explored the hotel together. Since we were stuck inside the hotel and since we were full from our food, it was a good idea to walk it all out. We both checked out where the fitness center was and peeped through. It was well-equipped with plenty of treadmill, elipticals, weights, and other workout machines to choose from. It was as if it was any normal gym but way beyond if you would compare it to fitness centers within the hotels. The fitness center was nearly empty though, only having five patrons using the equipments. Personally, as much as I would love to try out the gym equipments available at the hotels I go to, I don't find enough time to use them as I would rather be out and exploring the city. My exercise, you could say, would be me walking around and standing for long periods of time.

Up next, we decided to check out the pool. Had I had extra clothes, I would have made use of the pool since I had ample time being stuck here inside the hotel. The pool had amazing view of the structures in the airport and around it had it not been snowing. There were a few kids using the pool while the adults, which seemed like the parents, were also using the pool or by the sidelines, watching their children.

"It would be great to use the pool, but I don't want to use it with families around," Jessica whispered to me and giggled as we walked to the exit of the pool room.

"Agreed," I nodded my head, "but if it was big enough, I would reconsider, so long as there's only a few limited people using the pool as well."

"Great minds think alike," Jessica pointed out, insinuating that she agreed with me.

 

We went back to our hotel room since there was nowhere else to explore or go to. Jessica took off her coat and hung it on the small closet by the room door. She grabbed the bathrobe hanging inside the closet and walked over to her bed, rummaging through the already opened luggage on top of her bed. Jessica took a few change of clothes before going inside the bathroom to probably change out.

I didn't know what to do as I didn't have a change of clothes with me. Maybe I should have taken my check-in baggage. I don't think it's too late to do so. But then again, I was still wearing something comfortable enough to relax while either watching the television in front of us or go through my tablet again and watch movies or go through the internet.

Jessica got out of the bathroom with silky bedroom clothes. Her shorts were so short that you could see her beautiful long legs through the slit in the middle of the bathrobe. Now I just seem like a ert.

"You should keep your mouth closed," Jessica chuckled. Once again, she saw me eyeing her.

Jessica took out her laptop from her luggage and closed it before putting it down on the floor. She plugged her laptop into the wall socket before hopping into the bed underneath the sheets.

"Are you going to watch movies?" I decided to ask.

Jessica turned her head towards me and nodded her head. "What else could we do here besides watch movies or surf the internet. It really would have been nice if we could just explore more or Chicago. I could have taken you downtown so you could taste what Chicago's trademark hotdog tastes like and so with their chili bowls."

"Chili bowl?" I questioned.

"Don't tell me you've never tasted a chili bowl while you're here in the US?" Jessica gasped, "I'm sure they had chili bowls all over New York City too!"

"I probably didn't choose it but it was probably on the menus on some of the restaurants I ate at in New York," I told Jessica, "what does it look like anyway?"

"Jeez, come here!" Jessica motioned me over.

I hopped off of my bed and sat on the corner of the bed beside Jessica. She typed up what a chili bowl looked like on the search engine on the internet and I almost gagged. It didn't look appetizing at all.

"Don't judge it by how it looks," Jessica smacked my arm playfully, "it's actually pretty good! When you take a trip in the US again, we should meet up here and I'll take you out for some chili."

"Is that a promise?" I joked.

"Yup," she nodded her head, "here, what's your e-mail so I can write to you. Unless you have Facebook or Instagram."

I stood up from the bed and reached over for my phone from my bed. I speedily looked over my phone to open up my Instagram and gave her my phone to show my Instagram handle. She looked over to my phone then back on hers as she looked up my username. Afterwards, I received a notification with her requesting to follow me. I accepted the request and followed her back.

After accepting my follow request, she smiled, "there. Promise that we'll meet again here in Chicago so I can take you out and eat some chili bowls and chili dogs. You just have to be ready and have some Pepto Bismol with you."

"Pepto Bismol?" I questioned. Everything she's spewing is new language to me at this point.

"You guys don't have Pepto Bismol with you?" she wondered, "it's a medicine you can get over the counter. It mainly helps with diarrhea."

"Ah..." I nodded as I understood what she was talking about, "sadly that couldn't be ordered over the counter. You have to order it through the pharmacy and it takes a few days for it to arrive."

"I see," she nodded, "there's definitely a lot of things that the US is different with compared to other countries. I brought Pepto Bismol with me everywhere I go just in case, even when I travelled shortly to South Korea."

"There are definitely things here that you guys do that we don't," I chuckled, "but that's the good part about travelling isn't it? Learning the differences between each countries or cultures."

"Indeed," Jessica smiled, "would you want to watch a movie with me?"

"I don't mind," I smiled back as I situated myself on Jessica's bed.

Jessica picked a random movie from Netflix and we both watched it intently. There was a good amount of space between us but it was at a comfortable length. We were both underneath the sheets, sharing the warmth emiting from both our bodies. Not too long after, I started feeling sleepy. It must be the result of the greasy food I just ate. I tried to fight it off but found myself succumbing to the comfort and warmth of sleep.

 

I woke up to the sound of the sink running. Jessica seemed to be in the bathroom as she wasn't on the bed. I was surprised she didn't even kick me off her bed at all. Soon, she opened the bathroom door and I was surprised to see her bare face. There didn't seem to be much of a difference from how she looked with make up on. Jessica still looked extremely enchanting.

"You're finally awake," Jessica smiled at me, "you dozed off not too long after the movie just started. You left me watching the movie alone." 

"I'm sorry. I blame the food," I apologized as I sat up from the bed, scratching my eyes clear.

"It's already time for dinner though. Are you hungry?" she asked, "if so, we should go down before the restaurants close."

"Right," I nodded my head, "I seem to be too underdressed for the other restaurant downstairs that we haven't tried," I pointed at my clothes, "you know... the Gaslight Club?"

The Gaslight Club, from what I remember from earlier, seemed to have the Roaring 20's theme. I felt like I should be going there and dressing up with vintage clothing, wearing fringe dresses and whatnot. But since I had no other clothes with me, and I sure as hell don't have any fringe dress with me, I guess it wouldn't hurt to still try it out before I leave the hotel tomorrow and hopefully hop on my flight to San Francisco then back to South Korea.

"Understood," Jessica nodded, "you shouldn't care regardless. What if I wear something comfortable as well with you?"

"The suggestion doesn't seem like a bad idea," I laughed, "we'd be two weirdoes dressed out of style on a seemingly fancy restaurant."

"As long as we're paying customers, I don't think it would matter," Jessica giggled. She crouched down to her luggage to open it and search for comfortable clothes before heading back into the bathroom and change.

As she got ready, I went over to the mirror by the door and turned the lights on to get a clear view of what I looked like at the moment. Out of horror, I gasped when I found out I look like a hurricane just hit me. I ran to my backpack to grab my comb and went back in front of the mirror to brush my hair. Not long after, Jessica got out of the bathroom wearing exactly what you would wear comfortable: baggy joggers and a hoodie. I ran to the bathroom afterwards to continue brushing my hair, washing my face off, and brushing my teeth. Can't go anywhere with a smelly breath, especially beside a nice-looking woman.

 

When we got down to the Gaslight Club, there was no sign of children around, thankfully. Every other person around were adults. It seems like the restaurant was filled tonight. I'm guessing it was because of the snow storm. Some people were dressed in their formal attire while some were wearing casual clothing. It seems like Jessica and I were the only ones wearing something that was too casual. Regardless, we were still seated at a table.

A staff passed by and made an announcement in front of everyone. He stated that the pianist couldn't come for tonight's dinner because of the snow storm. It didn't seem like anybody else minded about the absence of the performer as everybody understood about the situation enough and were enjoying the pleasant service that they all seemed to be having. I focused back on the table and picked up the menu. Everything seemed to be a little bit more expensive, although it was understandable as it's dinner food and because the ambience was fancy.

"Don't worry about what you order. It's on me," Jessica mumbled behind the menu that she was holding up.

"Are you sure?" I asked her. I would rather get something from the Caffe Mercato to grab and go. The whole list is very expensive, even with the appetizers alone.

"You're fine. I got you," Jessica reassured me, still mumbling from behind the menu.

I read through the whole list and decided I get at least one of the cheaper food selections, which was the Chicken Lemon. When the server to us, he brought over a glass of water, like they usually do, and took our orders. I told him what I chose while Jessica chose the most expensive choice on the menu: the Surf and Turf. I was astonished with her ordering it nonchalantly. On top of it all, she ordered a bottle... a whole bottle of red wine! The Chateau St. Georges.

"Are you sure that's what you want? I seriously do not mind if you pick other things. If not, I will choose for you," she dared before the server could leave our table.

"Uh... then I'll let you choose for me," I told her. It would be impolite to choose something expensive... when all the choices for dinner is expensive enough already.

"Give her the veal marsala," Jessica told the server.

"Alright," the server nodded and proceeded to name off everything on the menu, "so we have veal marsala, surf and turf, and a bottle of Chateau St. Georges. Would you want one or two glasses with that?"

"Two glasses please," Jessica told him.

The server jotted something else down on his notes, took our menus, and walked over to the kitchen doors. Meanwhile, I was looking around at everyone and their food seem to be very appetizing. Everybody was having a fun time and the servers were very attentive compared to our experience from the Sports Edition Bar earlier. Maybe it's because this restaurant is the hotel's classiest and pride restaurant. The music from the 1920s played on the background but it didn't overpower the voices of the guests while they continue to have a conversation with others. Servers were always walking around. It seemed pretty busy here. From the outside, I saw a line patrons starting to stack up. Good thing we came here at the right time.

"Do you know what veal is, Taeyeon?" Jessica questioned and chuckled, "because you're about to eat it."

"What is it, really? I'm curious what you ordered for me but I hope you have enough taste that you're not tricking me on what is about to be served to me," I glared at her.

"Don't worry," Jessica giggled, "you're going to love it. Veal is basically meat from a calf. It's just a more expensive meat compared to beef, which is from an adult cow."

"What's the difference? The fact that it's coming from a younger cow?" I questioned.

"They tend to be juicier and tastier," Jessica explained briefly, "it's going to be good. Trust me."

"It better not be dry like that burger from earlier," I snarked.

Jessica shook her head, "this restaurant seem to have better reviews compared to the other restaurant choices they have here so I think we're in good hands."

With Jessica being so classy from the start and with her knowledge of meat, I would figure she knows more things beyond the average person. I wonder if it was because she may be a traveller or maybe because she's generally a rich person that could travel a lot and afford expensive food options.

"I don't think you told me about your life or what you work as," I decided to ask her, "I'm curious."

"Let's just say that I work for big corporate inside their office, attending their meetings, and whatnot," Jessica chuckled, "to put it simply... It can get quite stressful so I take as many vacations as I can or am allotted."

"Must be nice to have enough money to be able to pay for your getaways," I giggled.

"What about you?" she nudged her head.

"I work for the music industry. It can also get hectic as more and more artists are being introduced by the corporates back in South Korea. I usually help out in music production and can be a song lyricist here and there, depending if they pick my lyrics for their songs," I explained, "I don't get enough day offs though. It seems like the US has it better in terms of working conditions."

"Hm..." Jessica pondered and shook her head, "... I think it has something more to do with where you're working at. Sometimes, working for such companies, you have a lot of paperwork to look over and meetings to attend to. While on some jobs, you have your own set work times. Some work independently."

"Ah... yes I see that now," I nodded.

We continued our conversation over dinner, enjoying the ambience, the food, and the service. This restaurant in particular in this hotel definitely takes the notch. I kind of take back what I said about hotels having distasteful food. This restaurant is an exception, especially with their customer service. Jessica was enjoying her red wine. I tried to drink the red wine but it wasn't to my taste. I would prefer to drink coffee over alcohol. If anything, I'd rather drink my cheap soju. Jessica and I definitely knew more about each other as we got comfortable over drinks. It was quick for me to get drunk as I'm a lightweight. Meanwhile, Jessica just kept chugging on wine glass after glass. She seemed perfectly used to indulging on red wine. She drank it like water.

 

Jessica and I got back to our room. We were both clearly buzzed from the red wine. We were having our own laughs over stupid things, but it was mainly me saying all the jokes and the stupid stuff. I could say this was one of the best nights I have ever had, especially to spend it with a charming woman like Jessica. Who could ever resist spending some time with her?

It was late at night though and I realized that I still needed to wash my clothes for tomorrow, especially my undies, as they're the only clothing I had with me. Since I am comfortable enough, I decided to ask Jessica for a change of clothes. She went to the bathroom to change back into the silky bedroom clothes she had on earlier and handed me the sweats she just wore. Since it would be way overboard to ask her for undies, I decided to shower then change into her sweats, wearing no undies underneath them. It was quite uncomfortable for me, especially the thought of going down to the washer area. But to my dismay, Jessica informed me that it doesn't seem like the hotel had available self-service laundry area.

"What am I going to do now?" I sighed.

"Um... I guess I could just lend you some shirt and underwear you could wear. I'm sure you using your sweats again wouldn't be much of a problem," Jessica offered.

"Are you sure it's okay? It kind of seems... overboard," I questioned her, "maybe I could just wash my shirt and underwear here in the bathroom."

"Suit yourself. I mean, there's a hairdryer you could use to dry your clothes off," Jessica mumbled as she got went to the bathroom and readied herself for the night.

After waiting for her to get out of the bathroom, I immediately gathered my t-shirt together with my to wash in the sink. It seemed really embarrassing to be doing this but it's the only way. It seems too much to even ask Jessica for a pair of undies. That's something I would rather not do with anyone in particular. After wringing off my clothes as much as possible, I hung them on the curtain pole to dry off for the night so I could dry them off completely during the morning before my flight. I proceeded to get ready for the night afterwards.

When I came out of the bathroom, Jessica seemed to have already fallen asleep before I could even say "goodnight." She seemed so pretty and peaceful while sleeping soundly. I hurried over to my bed and turned off the lights to go to sleep, setting my alarm off before dozing off completely.

 

My alarm rang at 5AM. Jessica woke up to the sound of my alarm with me. I hurried into the bathroom and checked my clothes if they were dry. They were still a little bit damp, to my dismay. I got myself ready for the day and took the hairdryer, together with the damp clothes with me, out to the room. Thankfully it's not connected to the wall like how most hotels have them. Jessica hopped on the shower immediately after I got out of the bathroom.

The clothes took a while to dry but thankfully it dried before it was time to eat a quick breakfast. I changed onto my clothes quickly after and folded the clothes Jessica lent me, placing them on top of her luggage afterwards.

When she got out of the bathroom all dressed up, I told her, "hopefully you don't mind that I wore your clothes overnight."

"It's no problem at all," Jessica shook her head and asked after, "could you pass me the hairdryer though so I can dry my hair?"

I unplugged the hairdryer from the wall socket and handed it over to her. Jessica immediately went inside the bathroom, not closing the door behind her, and turned the hairdryer on, drying her hair in front of the bathroom mirror. Meanwhile, I got all my stuff ready, making sure they were put altogether.

When everything seemed all done and ready, I decided to ask Jessica if she wanted to come eat breakfast together at the breakfast buffet that the hotel had. Jessica nodded her head and decided to turn the hairdryer off. She decided to just wear the sweats I wore last night and was ready to go with me to eat breakfast.

 

Our breakfast time together didn't contain much of a coversation as we were in a hurry trying to get our meal in for the morning and get ready for check-out. It turns out that we both were in the same flight and it was after 8AM. After eating, we both hurried upstairs. My stuff was all ready while Jessica took a little bit more time, making sure all her belongings were in her carry-on luggage. We both hurried downstairs at the front desk. Thankfully, there were a lot of staff in the morning to accomodate those that were trying to check out, especially trying to catch their flight times. The lobby was filled with people.

I handed Jessica the card key and she both checked us out quickly. We both hurried walking through the walkway to the domestic terminals. We had less than an hour to check-in but thankfully we didn't require any check-in baggages as we already checked them in. All we had to do was go over to the kiosk, check-in fast to confirm the intinerary we had in hand and to make sure our check-in baggages were good to go. We hurried over to our gate terminal afterwards with about half an hour to spare.

Tired from all the rush, Jessica and I sat on the available seats at the terminal. Soon enough, they had us check-in for boarding. Looking outside through the glass windows in the airport, I'm thankful that the skies seemed clear enough with partial clouds here and there. This time, my flight doesn't have to get cancelled and only have to worry about one longer flight before I could reach home back in South Korea.

It seems as if our seats were away from each other. Jessica was more in front of the plane while I was at the back. I had hoped that we would both be in the same seat so we could chat more and get to know more about each other but yesterday's opportunity was good enough for me. It will sure leave me a lasting memory.

 

As soon as we got to San Francisco, everybody started standing up from their seats, even the ones around me on the back of the plane. I don't get why they're all standing up as obviously, those who are in front usually are the ones to go first beforehand. Thankfully, after a while, it was my aisle's turn to exit the plane.

I didn't really expect to see Jessica for the last time, especially since she's home in San Francisco and probably had people waiting for her. Meanwhile, I had to hurry and catch my connecting flight before it leaves. I hurried over towards the terminal to ask the service staff where my next terminal was. Knowing that it was international, it might be somewhere else in the airport, especially knowing that San Francisco International Airport was one of the biggest airports here in the US as well. To my surprise, Jessica was waiting by the end of the walkway.

"Hey there, good to see you for the last time," I smiled at her.

Jessica slapped my arm as she walked with me and said, "don't say it's the last time. Remember my promise to you?"

"Right," I nodded, "you still have to treat me for some Chicago chili bowl and chili dog."

"Exactly," she smiled.

When we reached the service desk, Jessica gave me a big hug. It was unexpected and I'm not really affectionate with anyone, even more so with someone I just met.

"Even knowing you for only less than a day, you gave me one of the best things to remember in this trip," Jessica told me, "make sure you keep in touch. I'll hit you up as soon as I get home."

"I will," I nodded and waved at her goodbye as I watched her walk away.

I'm certainly not sure if she's going to uphold onto this promise. Usually, people say one thing, especially when you just met them. But all the plans made by then, especially keeping in touch, is usually nothing more than a speech to loosely say when you're bidding your goodbye to someone you may never meet again. I wonder though what the future holds for the both of us. If we don't meet again, my day with her will surely be one I could keep for the records. If we do, then we'll see what happens.

 

----

A/N: This took longer than I expected it to be. I literally spent the whole day writing this ;u;