Chapter 5: Vanilla Ice Cream

With Or Without You

 

Vanilla Ice Cream
 
 
Dong Young-Bae walked through the campus, his legs taking him to the school grounds; his mysterious aura garnering interested glances from the students.
 
 
Especially among the girls.
 
 
His aloofness, caught on by wariness among the others.
 
 
But Dong Young-Bae was oblivious to them all.
 
 
‘I have been through a total of five freakin’ schools, since I was 8. And I have yet to find a school I like,’ he mused, reaching the school’s verdant yard, surrounded by tall trees.
 
 
He looked around. It all looked the same to him.
 
 
‘And out of all the five schools, I have yet to find a friend,’ he added silently, looking at the other students, all taking lunch together, all smiling, laughing, talking, and gossiping.
 
 
In short, all of them had a life.
 
 
‘Except me,’ he sighed, a little wistfully.
 
 
He flopped underneath a huge oak tree, seeking shade from the sun. He leaned back against the trunk, intending to sleep away the whole lunch period.
 
 
He was starting to doze off when something fell on his broad shoulder.
 
 
“Ugh!” he exclaimed crossly, looking at the white, semi-liquid blob on his uniform.
 
 
“First alienation and now some bird decides to poop on me!” he said to no one in particular, scooping off the stuff from his uniform.
 
 
He took it near his nose, prepared to be disgusted. But he was surprised. It smelled…sweet. Like ice cream.
 
 
“But where the hell could ice cream fall off from?!” he asked himself, then looked up.
 
 
Two pairs of legs were dangling above him, one pair covered in navy blue slacks and black shoes, the other pair, the shorter one, in white socks and black shoes.
 
 
He averted his eyes quickly, not wanting to see something he shouldn’t.
 
 
It was then that he realized that he was so deep in his thoughts that he hadn’t noticed the two voices up in the tree.
 
 
Knowing that he was eavesdropping shamelessly, he settled back down near the tree’s roots, listening curiously to the two voices.
 
 
OPPA!!! You are so mean, you shouldn’t do that! Look what you made me do! I almost spilled my ice cream!” one voice said.
 
 
‘From the sounds of it, the speaker is a girl’, Young-Bae thought.
 
 
“I didn’t do anything! Back off, shrimp!” another voice said, sounding like its speaker was a boy. Rustling followed, it seemed that the two were bickering.
 
 
Kwon Ji-Yong! If you ever do that again, I’ll….” the first voice said, threateningly.
 
 
“What?! You’ll what?! Hit me? Yah! Your slaps feel like a mosquito landed on my skin. I don’t feel anything. You, Park Sandara, hit like a girl!” Ji-Yong accused.
 
 
“Wha – like a – Aisht! I AM a girl, you idiot!” Dara said, hitting Ji-Yong again.
 
 
‘Ji-Yong and Dara? The two fighters back in the classroom?! Ha! I can’t believe this,’ Dong Young-Bae thought, back on the ground.
 
 
Then he shifted his ears back to the couple above him.
 
 
Up on the tree, Ji-Yong staved off Dara’s one handed open-palm attacks with one hand easily, his other holding his ice cream cone with chocolate ice cream.
 
 
Finally, she stopped, gave him a death glare, stuck his tongue out at him, and continued to eat her vanilla ice cream.
 
 
He looked at her warily, then resumed eating his own ice cream.
 
 
After a few seconds of silence, he asked, “Why do you like vanilla ice cream so much anyway? It’s such a common flavor.”
 
 
She looked at him, then seemed to contemplate whether to answer him or not. Then she decided not to answer him just yet, and continued to eat her ice cream in silence.
 
 
This annoyed Ji-Yong. “Yah! I asked you a question! When a person gets asked a question, the person usually answers. The intelligent ones only, though,” he goaded.
 
 
“Aisht!” she said, throwing back her fist as if to hit him.
 
 
Then she thought better of it, and just said, “Well, vanilla may be a common flavor, but still, I feel that it’s the best flavor of all!”
 
 
All ice cream have a bit of vanilla in them, even your chocolate one. It has to have milk and everything, right? So see, ice cream could not exist without this flavor…vanilla!” she finished with a smile.
 
 
Ji-Yong looked at her strangely. Then seemed to decide that it’s not worth arguing over and just ate his chocolate ice cream in peace while swinging his legs.
 
 
Dara glared at him again, then ate her own ice cream, savoring the flavor, and looking at their new school.
 
 
Back on the ground, Dong Young-Bae continued to silently listen. What he heard made him even sadder.
 
 
‘Looks like they're really close. I wish I can have a friend like that,’ he thought.
 
 
“Hey! WATCH OUT!” a voice sounded from his right.
 
 
A small truck, like the ones which level the ground, came out of nowhere, and was about to hit the tree.
 
 
Get away! The brakes are broken!” the driver yelled at him, before jumping off.
 
 
Dong Young-Bae moved out of the way, but then thought about the two still up on the tree. He went back to warn them.
 
 
Yah! Get down quick, something’s about to hit the tree!” he shouted up at them.
 
 
But his warning came a little too late, the truck collided with the tree and set it swaying ominously.
 
 
AAAHHHHH!” Dara screamed, the collision causing her to fall off.
 
 
 
--------------------
 
 
 
LOL! Dara and Jiyong falling from the tree! F-A-L-L-I-N-G!
 
Er, that sounded so wrong. T_T
 
And poor Bae-by. All emo and whatnot. Keke! Crazy couple will change that. XD
 
Read and review!
 
Kudos,
 
~Belle