saccharine

some days, some nights

Suga? You mean the sweetest man to ever walk on this earth?

Yes. Maybe. In so many indefinite ways.

How he and Bae Joohyun got together was the most unlikely thing to have ever occurred.

She was an independent woman and he, a self-sufficient man.

They didn't really need anyone at the moment, but all of it happened in the moment too.

How Yoongi thought deeply of Joohyun who quite resembled him – can keep themselves in check, levelheaded, Daegu natives (home is where the heart is), loud when they have to be, pragmatic people, with a little bit of sugar and spice.

And maybe that’s exactly how and why Joohyun considered him.

He didn’t have to be loud, the kind of man who puts himself out there (though there’s nothing wrong with guys like that), someone who would have to force themselves to fit in – he wasn’t like that – and maybe (actually) that’s what tugged at Joohyun’s heart.

A guy who doesn’t have to be but is.

In all their imperfect yet complementary relationship, one must admit that though they can be content with what they have, room for spark and tangibility is still a necessity.

It’s just how relationships revolve around each other, but sometimes Yoongi doesn’t quite get the picture.

And Joohyun would have to be adamant about it, asking him to give her affection and attention.

He’d walk beside her on cold days and would forget to hold her hands to keep her (and him) warm and Joohyun, with her instinctive elderliness showing, would scold him for letting hypothermia get to them then, wring her fingers on his.

Yoongi would then gradually reach up to her shoulders and pull her close to him, and casually ask 'This better?".

Joohyun can’t say she’s not surprised though, because no matter how many times she feels like Yoongi wouldn’t concede, he does in ways Joohyun would never expect. 

It was like that for them.

Especially on days he becomes Suga, cooped up in his Genius Lab, wasting away on Americano and newly made up beats, forgetting the world – just him and his music.

Joohyun understands and finds her patience stretching to accommodate the things that make up Yoongi, but there are moments when it can get intolerable for her.

When she wants to pour out her thoughts that only a person like Yoongi can follow through, but he can’t be bothered at all – she knows where he is.

She'd unapologetically barge inside the Genius Lab (the incessant ringing of his doorbell is proof of her impatience) and Yoongi would only open the door for her and let her be.

But Joohyun doesn’t want to just let be. She wants in and she wants Yoongi.

For her to love him and be loved by him.

Yoongi normally observes a thin line between being aware and unaware of her emotions.

When he is insensitive, he covers it up like he’s known it the whole time, shrugs it off like it was never like that for him, and Joohyun usually can’t tell.

But not this time around. Joohyun needs to knock some sense into him this time.

“Min Yoongi.” She glares at him, blocking his access to his equipment.

“Joohyun noona.” He narrows his eyes at her, playful manner, but Joohyun can’t tell and this got on her nerves. (Also because that ‘noona’ rolling off his tongue coupled with his low voice gets on the nerves that lead to her heart.)

“Can you please give me your time?!” She demands and Yoongi feels a vein on his head throb, so much for trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

He's definitely not doing a great job. He hopes his heavy duty sound proof door is doing its job unlike him.

“Am I not doing that right now?” He deadpans, a hand propped on his cheek resting on the arm rest of his swivel producer chair. 

“Because I’m just asking you to! Am I even in a relationship with you?!”

To be very honest, she has doubted them and herself. And she should have stayed back and cried it out at home rather than having him see her being needy like this, on the verge of tears.

This doesn’t slip away from Yoongi’s discernment, though he has never seen her cry yet, he knows suppression when he sees one. More so when it’s Joohyun, someone who’s like him, it’s evident in the way her eyes glisten right now.

So, he lets her rant away, takes in all she has to say about them as an imperfect couple.

But what is a perfect couple anyway? Yoongi refuses to be typical.

And as always, he’s got this under control.

“Do you have anything to say at all?!”

She exclaims for the last time, plopping down on one of the bean bags beside him, chest heaving from all the pent up frustration she poured out.

Yoongi gets up to give her an explanation: planting a lasting kiss on her cheek.

Which confuses Joohyun profoundly.

“Thanks Noona.” He moves to say this in front of her face quite dangerously near,  his lips at the blushing mess that is his girlfriend.

That tongue (or 'tongue technology' as patented by the man in subject) that's meant to send men and women off to Hong Kong, how badly she might just want to cut it off for taunting her.

“Wh-what f-for?” She keeps her glare on him, heartrate picking up twice, thrice its normal speed.

“For keeping us in check. I love us, got that? Why are you especially clingy today?” He's almost laughing but he hides it behind a smirk.

What a way of saying ‘I love you’ she thinks and…‘clingy’?!

She barely even gets a minute out of him! An hour if she’s lucky.

But Yoongi’s having none of it, not today, when he’s got personal deadlines and an unsatisfied girlfriend, he’d do them both a favor instead.

“I hate you Yoongi.” She huffs and pushes him away from her causing Yoongi to fall back in his seat.

“You love me.” He suggests confidently.

“Not!” Joohyun is running out of coherent sentences. She can't believe the way this man ruffles her feathers effortlessly. 

“You do.”

“Ugh!”

He nonchalantly picks up her dangling feet with his own, casually saying her feet’s too small and cute and complimenting the socks she wore.

“Of course, that’s coz you gave me that, you brat.” She huffs, it’s of kitten prints he got her from their Myeongdong date on her birthday. (And he says he's not typcial.)

She lets him play with her toes as he smirks, simultaneously keying in music notes and taking notes of how it’s easy as 1, 2, 3 when it comes to calming down his favorite noona.

Footsies when he’s working, a kiss when she’s fuming.

Suga? You mean the sweetest man to ever walk on this earth?

Yes. Maybe. In the most indefinite way.


A/N:

aah, quite short and straightforward, but yoongi and irene, anyone? i just tried a hand at this crackship and i like how this turned out (though i think i might have turned yoongi into a jerk or something pls forgive me). tbh, wendy x namjoon, yoongi x seulgi, yoongi x irene were one of the first bts x rv ships i came across in this livejournal community in late 2015 (all good stuff really) so i'm kinda reliving the good ole days. 

and if anyone noticed, i kinda made a word play of sugarene being saccharine. heh.