Chapter 1: The First Impression

The Limbo of Calamity

Having crawled the final distance to the limbo, his knees were sore with a few drops of blood. There was no other means of transportation to travel between the limbo an hell than to walk the distance and finally crawl out of a hole in the earth that would open and close like an ordinary door.

The ruler of the underworld – or hell, for short – assigned each demon to a human, taking his knowledge of the humans’ past sins and suffering in advantage to find the perfect match for them. You see, demons absorb human energy to feed. But, each demon has their ideal match of energy they feed on which is why such effort is put into finding a perfect match for each demon. Although demons can survive without feeding on even a drop of energy for years, it will eventually make them weak. They don’t feed on the energy like humans on food; they feed on it to make themselves stronger. You could say human energy functioned as some sort of miracle proteins that would instantly increase the power demons possess.

This wasn’t Chanyeol’s first time paying a visit to the limbo, but it was his first time being there alone. Having errupted from a hole in the earth, with sore, bleeding knees, he looked around to regain his sense of directions. It didn’t take him long as he found himself just a few meters away from the campus. Fortunately for him, no one had seen him errupt from the ground.

Chanyeol had been given instructions on how to fit in amongst the humans and he followed the instructions precisely. The only thing that could possibly give him out would be his left eye whose iris was naturally colored bright red. He was fortunate that humans were so developed that they had invented colored contact lenses. Certainly, people did notice his eye and thought of it was odd (why would anybody have a single colored contact lense instead of a pair?), but no one in their right mind would suspect him for a demon. For as much as humans knew; demons were only imaginary creatures in fairytales to scare children and old explanations to mysterious phenomenon which the people had no other explanation for at the time.

 

The demon found himself in the corridor looking around to find an indicator where the school auditorium. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the large map on the wall. Right now, he found himself in the main corridor so he easily found his location on the map and figured out the route for the auditorium. The entrance of the auditorium was actually at the middle of the main corridor. As the tall demon felt relief of finding the location without any further complications he turned around to start walking. But, when he turned around he saw someone equally as confused as he was. He saw Kyungsoo. The human he had been assigned to. Chanyeol was curious of this human, and even more so after seeing him in person. Chanyeol compared their height as he saw that the human he had been assigned could barely touch the tall demon's chin with his head. It was quite adorable, if he must admit. But how will he feed on his energy? 
Chanyeol tilted his head and narrowed his eyes, still with questions flying around his head.

As Chanyeol was staring at him, furthering his internal dialogue, he did not notice the smaller boy had met his gaze, returning Chanyeol’s favor of staring at him. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, his eye whites continuously expanding making him seem alike to a doe startled by rustling leaves. He seemed to have a hint of fear in his eyes forcing him to freeze, locking his gaze. Chanyeol almost felt sorry for the smaller boy whose beautiful eyes did not dare to break contact. Almost sorry was an understatement for how the demon felt, he was on the verge of questioning his whole existence and need to feed while looking into those seemingly innocent eyes. His heart was beating faster and faster because of the tension between them as blood rushed to his face, embarassed over being caught staring. With a swift movement he covers his face with his hands and quickly turns around, abruptly breaking the eyecontact.

Their gazes were no longer connected, but Chanyeol could see the human vividly. His hair that seemed as soft as silk, his large, brown eyes filled with anxiousness, with the softest looking plump lips and glowing skin that reminded him of how the moon reflected the sunlight thus illuminating the night sky. 

No words were spoken between them that day. Chanyeol left the corridor before any questions could be asked, leaving the confused human boy alone without any guidance to find around campus.