7 - Friend Zone (?)

SSKHS: Sophomore Year

7


 

 

The moment Youngbae walked into the classroom, Daesung’s eyes darted over. He sat down next to his lab partner and they greeted each other. Crinkling my paper, I continued writing down notes and looking at the board. Daesung was silent and he wrote down in his notebook. Youngbae and the girl conversed quietly, smiling and giggling softly ever once in a while. I sighed and pouted. This period was as boring as the last one. At least I wasn’t getting yelled at by the teacher. “Hey.” I turned to my left and look at Daesung. He gazed at me with a serious tone. His peachy and light aura was now black and seemed gloomy. “Um, I, uh--”

“Mr. Kang, do you wish to answer this question?” The science teacher picked on him, knowing that he was talking to me. “Look at the board.”

“Um…” he hesitated and he shifted in his seat. “it’s chemical reaction.” The older teacher nodded softly and he continued with his teachings. Daesung focused back to his work and he didn’t speak for the rest of the class. I was disappointed though, because I wanted to know.

 

 

 

 

After class, I took Daesung aside before he went on to his next class. We didn’t share the same class this period, I had English afterwards. I knew I had other opportunities to ask him in private but I couldn’t wait any longer. His face looked so sincere when he was about to say what he  was going to say. “Hey, what’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. It doesn’t matter anymore.” He could see the dissatisfaction in my eyes. Daesung gave me a small, fake smile, trying to trick me saying that it was okay. “I’ll see you at lunch, alright?” He gave my shoulder a squeeze and then he walked away from me. I pouted and watched him disappear from my view.

“Alright…”I mumbled and slammed my locker. I began walking to third period, paranoid about what was going to happen to me. Soojin and Rinn were in the same class as me though. Maybe they could help me along the way if anything did occur. Youngbae finally caught up with me and I slowed down to walk beside him. “Oh, sorry I didn’t wait for you. I was kind of in a hurry”

“It’s okay. Hey, um can I ask you a question? It’s kind of a weird one…” I nod and smiled softly.

“I bet it’s not as weird as the one’s I’ve heard in my life. Go ahead, shoot.” Youngbae hesitated and he sighed.

 “A-are you and Daesung going out?” I froze at his question . There was a long moment of silence before I answered it. My eyes fixated on him and he stared at me. I busted out laughing and soon enough almost everyone was looking at me. “What’s so funny?” I saw him blush a little and he looked away from me.

“It’s just, you said me and Daesung.”

“What about Daesung? Does he have the cooties or something?” I giggle at his small joke.

 “No. It’s just I’ve never really seen him as the type of guy I’d date. He‘s more of a ‘brother type‘. I knew he kind of had a crush on me during summer camp but really he can‘t still like me right? He would just be wasting his time.”

“Well if you think someone who continues to like someone even though they know the other person doesn’t like them back is wasting their time, everyone including you, has done it.” I grip my books tighter and I hold my breath, scared I was going to say something else stupid. Because I know he was right. And somehow I finally figured out, I was most likely wasting my time. Youngbae looked at me, a slight flirtatious look in his eye. I blushed and looked down at my books. “By the way, who is your ideal type?”

“I’m not actually sure. I never really thought of someone.”

“I have…” Youngbae gazed out ahead of me, he then turned his head and gazed at me. “but I don’t think you really want to hear about it. It’s kind of funny actually. The girl is completely out of my league, and she lives in another country.”

“Your ideal type doesn’t have to be a famous person. She could be a regular person too.”

“I have an ideal type for that type of person too.” As we both headed towards the door for English class, Youngbae whispered softly, “I thought of someone that would look nice with you, but I don’t think he really interests you. But I could be wrong, he may fit your ideal type well. I mean, if you ever had one.” He opened the door. Several people were already inside. I sat in an empty seat next to him. What was up with Youngbae talking about how he found a guy that he thought would be nice for me? “I was just telling you that because I thought you and Daesung went out. It looks like you two do. I mean, he always wraps his arm around you and you blush whenever he says anything.”

“I do not blush!”

“Um, yes you do. You do it all the time. Even it you’re not noticing it. I thought you liked him. He always made you smile.”

“L-like him?! No! I like someone el--” I stopped myself before I said anything else. If I said any more, I’d have word vomit and that would be totally not good at all. “I don’t like him I just consider him my friend.”

“I think he still likes you ever since summer camp.” Youngbae only gave me a look and then organized all his things. “But maybe he doesn’t. It could just be my hallucinations.” For a change, I agreed  that he was having hallucinations. Soojin and Rinn greeted me and sat next to me and Youngbae when they came in. Seunghyun casually walked inside the class behind them. He pushed up his glasses and grinned at me. I blushed and grinned back and looked down at my desk. Soojin and Rinn giggled at him and Youngbae only watched.

As usual the shrieks and screams of schoolgirls in their skirts filled the room as Jiyong and his whole crew walked inside the classroom. Another girl as wrapped around Jiyong’s arm, the same with Junhyung and Seungri. I noticed that Goo Hara was with Junhyung. But I wasn’t all that surprised. Youngbae’s whole attitude changed along with Soojin and Rinn. The bell rung and they all took their places in the back of the room. I pulled out my books and started on my class work.




 

 

After English class, Youngbae, Soojin, Rinn and I all hanged out at my locker. Youngbae  wrapped his arm around me and my two friends giggled softly. I blushed and Youngbae smiled back at me. Soojin elbowed me and then winked. Youngbae didn’t catch it, but I did. And to be honest, I began to be even happier than I was. That is until Daesung came towards us. The look on his face went from happiness to annoyance. I slammed my locker and I stood in front of him with my lunchbox in my hands. He managed a small smile to me and I smiled back.

“Hey Dae!” Rinn said politely, waving. He waved back. Youngbae glanced at him and then turned back to his locker. Seunghyun was right behind Daesung and I quickly turned around, trying to look at him. If I did, I would be blushing hard by now. Soojin and Rinn wave at him and he grins back charmingly. All six of us walk towards the cafeteria and Daesung stole a glance at me. I glance at him and he grins softly.

As all of us walk inside, I save a table for the group as the rest go buy their lunch in the lunch line. Seunghyun sits at the table with me. I smile and begin taking out my snacks from my lunch bag. “Lynn.” I quickly  look up at he was staring at me with intense eyes. “Can I tell you something? I hope you’re not going to share this with the other guys right?”

“No. But is it that important to where I can’t tell?” I ask. Unfortunately, he nods slightly. “If it’s about the rumor it’s not--”

“It’s not about the rumor. It’s about…Daesung.” I raise an eyebrow at him. “You know he’s told me about how you two been knowing each other since the summer camp thing and all. And…to be honest, I think he still has some vibrant memories of that experience.”

“Um, excuse me?”

“What I mean is, he still has some feel--”

“Hey guys!” Youngbae took a seat next to me. I greeted him and Seunghyun just leaned back in his seat. He picked up his chopsticks and began eating his homemade lunch. “Did I take too long?”

“Nope, you didn’t. Where are the others? Usually they’re here by now.” After I said that, Soojin and Rinn sit between Seunghyun and Daesung takes a seat on the other side of me.

“They have security over near the front of the cafeteria now. I guess they didn’t want any more Krystal and Hara fights happening again,” Soojin whispered softly, earning a laugh from a couple of us. “I didn’t see them in here though.”

“I heard they had ISAP. You know you never get a break out of there. You stay the whole entire school day there,” Rinn explained. She stuff a large amount of kimchi in .

“I still don’t understand the reason why they fought like that on the first day of school. It was really unnecessary,” Youngbae added in.

“Maybe it was over a boy, you know those two girls are boy crazy,” Soojin answered him.

“You mean like you?” I said back, gaining a laugh from the whole table. Soojin pouted and continued eating. I wanted to tell them about what I heard in the girl’s bathroom earlier, but then again I shouldn’t. The only reason why I left to go to the bathroom was because of Daesung and I didn’t want to think about that again. “Hey Ducky,” I say softly so the others won’t hear me. “what were you going to tell me in Science? I never really got it out of you.”

“It was nothing, really. It wasn’t. Don’t worry about it alright? It’s not nothing to worry about.” I frown and I turn back to my other friends. They were all glaring at me except for Youngbae. He was just eating quietly. “…what?”

“Nothing! Nothing…” Seunghyun, Soojin and Rinn all said at the same time. They smiled and kept on eating. Even though things seemed to be alright, I think they aren’t…





When school ended, Daesung and I said goodbye to our friends before we left.After the first day of school, it was likely known to both of us that us walking together was going to be a new routine for the end of the day. Youngbae gave me a small hug that still lingered on me even though it was five minutes ago when he did. Daesung had his shoulder bag resting on his shoulder. Traffic was heavy during this time and Daesung held my  hand only when he crossed the streets. After that he would pull away and be to himself. I decided not to worry about what he was going to tell me. He probably wasn’t ever going to bring it up again. And that really irritated me.  I thought it was going to be a silent walk home until Dae bombarded me with the question, “Do you still like Youngbae?”

I couldn’t really answer that question right away. Not because I wasn’t unsure, because I certainly was sure I still liked him. But I didn’t answer it right away because I was nervous about Daesung’s reaction. He’s been thinking about this all day and he couldn’t get it out of his head. That’s why he’s been so cold to Youngbae. And to me too.  He was giving me all the clues right then and there.

Daesung clearly still had feelings for me. 


Ooo! Sorry for the late update you guys! I've been busy trying to type this chapter and do schoolwork. Please comment and subscribe!

I really appreciate all my subscribers right now, they're giving me the movtivation I need to write the rest of this story.

And new scenarios going my my Tumblr soon! Go check it out. The link is on my profile :)

Thanks! New chapter coming up.