2 - Ducky.

SSKHS: Sophomore Year

2
 

 

 

 

“…um, I think I know you from somewhere…”

I turn and look at him surprised. The lead in my pencil broke and I stared at him. His eyes looked deep into mine and I could feel the symptoms of my face turning red again. He recognizes me. He actually remembers me… And it must be a miracle from God himself because this doesn’t happen to any schoolgirl in Korea. A regular girl doesn’t meet a boy she almost fell in love with at summer camp again in school. And rarely does a schoolgirl see that boy sitting next to her in class.

“O-oh…really? You kind of look familiar too…”

“It’s just, your face looks so…” So what? Cute? Pretty? Beautiful? “common.” My eyes narrowed and I turned my attention back on the teacher. I heard him chuckle a little bit and I looked at his face. His eye smile caught my attention again and he kept staring at me. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. You remind me of this girl that I met somewhere. Sorry, my memory is just really messed up. It was a little while ago. I think I met that girl like four months ago…”

“Maybe it was three…?” Youngbae’s face was a bit surprised.  

“Yeah…I think it was three.” The bell rings and I collect my things and head for the door. Youngbae grabs my wrist  before I leave from my desk. “Oh, I’m sorry…” He lets go of me. “Um, I forgot to ask what your name was.”

“It’s Lynn. Hwang Lynn.” I smile and walk away, leaving him there by himself. I know I’m not suppose to lead guys on, but he had it coming right?

I walked back to my locker and he followed me. ! I forgot his locker was right next to mine!  He leaned against his locker and smirked. I noticed him look down and blush slightly. “Hwang Lynn….now I remember you. You were that girl from summer camp!” I smiled again. “You was the girl that--”

“Lynn!! Hwang Lynn! Is that you?!?!”

My eyes shift over to the boy running down the hallway and my heart drops. Turning around, back to my locker I quickly grab my things for next period and run away but the boy had already caught up with me. “,” I whispered softly. I really didn’t want to talk to him. But this was a free country right? He could still talk to me…

“Hey, you still remember me from summer camp?! We used to be like best friends!” He said. I did a face palm and shook my head up and down.

“Yes, Daesung I still remember you…”

Kang Daesung, the most annoying guy you will ever meet on the planet. When I first arrived to camp, he was the first person to ever say something to me. He was one of those type of people who will talk to anyone, no matter who you are. He was loud, obnoxious, and very kind. Although sometimes he can be very, very annoying…But as I kept staring at him as he talked I noticed how different he looked ever since camp. He was taller, his voice was deeper than before and his face was so clear and smooth. Huh, it looks like ol’ Ducky transformed while I was gone.

“I can’t believe you’re going to this school Ducky--”

“Yah, yah. You still call me that? Really?” He placed his arm around me and he sighed, shaking his head. “Listen, I may be the same guy you met at summer cap, but I’ve kinda changed girl! It’s about time you started calling me by my real name.”

“But I love calling you Ducky!” I giggled. “Or I can just call you Ducky Daesung.”

“I can call you Little Lynn!” I pouted and continued walking to class. Daesung chuckled softly. And then I thought about Youngbae. Aw ! I just completely walked away while he was talking! I slapped my forehead and groaned. Daesung noticed me. “Whoa, you’re hitting yourself now?”

“Shut up. I was talking to Youngbae from summer camp.” The smile on his face completely dropped.

“He goes to this school too?” I blinked and just looked straight ahead.

“Uh, yeah. Turns out his locker is right next to mine and we sit by each other in home room now!”

“Oh, that’s great…I hope you’re happy…” The demeanor in his voice changed completely and the large smile on his face was gone. “But um, anyways, what’s your next class?”

“Science class. You?”

“The same!” The same smile reappeared and I smiled back.

Even though Daesung used to annoy the hell out of me at summer camp, he seems more quiet and conservative this year, like something happened to him that made him stop talking so much. In a moment of time, I missed it. But then again, I didn’t. Because I know  if he kept talking right now I would just about go crazy. I am kind of happy he’s in my science class, though. At least I have one friend in that class. All I have to do is find out who else is in that class. I turned my head back and notice Youngbae walking in our direction.

“Oh! Lynn! Hey!” He called out. He caught up to  both me and Daesung. I felt the grip of Daesung’s strong arm grow tighter around me.  “Daesung? Hey, what’s up man?” Youngbae smiled. Daesung didn’t say anything back, all he did was raise his head up and looked forward again. “But I was just on my way to my next class. What’s your’s?”

“Sci--”

“Science!” Daesung interrupted me. Youngbae stared at him.

“Really? That’s my next class also.”

I smiled brightly and said, “That’s great!”

“I know…”

Daesung opened the door to the science room and all three of us walked inside. There were desks that had two seats, meaning we were going to have partners. I noticed the teacher in the front writing some things down. “Hey Lynn, sit by me!” Daesung yelled. He grabbed my hand and guided me to a desk sitting in the back. No! I want to sit next to Youngbae!  But it was too late. Another girl found the empty seat and sat next to him.

“May I sit here?” She asked, her voice so tiny and pure.

“Sure…” He smiled, staring at her. I felt my heartbeat beating faster than before and a sharp pain in my chest. I hated this feeling. I hated feeling jealous…

“Yah, are you okay Lynn?” Daesung asked me. I turned my head to him and my face was most likely red. I didn’t want Daesung to see me like this. It was embarrassing… “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing! Nothing! I’m fine!”

Finally the bell rings and I begin writing down what the assignment is on the board. I couldn’t help but notice Youngbae and the other girl talking and giggling with each other. The lead in my pencil broke again and I kept clicking it for more lead. Several people, including Daesung stared  at me. “Um, are you sure you’re okay?” He whispers.

“I’m fine!” I whisper back. Even though the whisper was kind of loud. I noticed Youngbae staring at me, looking a bit concerned. And that’s when I blush again.



After class, Daesung and I exited to our lockers. This was the last period before lunch and I was already worn out from all what happened today. Youngbae exited by himself and Daesung wrapped his arm around me. “Yah, wanna have lunch after this period?” He asked.

“Um, sure…” I was uneasy to answer his question. Soojin and Linn may have already found a spot for me and if they see me with him , of all people….well I don’t know. I just don’t want anyone to get their feelings hurt today.

“What’s your next class?” I grabbed my folder out of my binder and bean pulling out the paper. Daesung leaned against the side of my locker and stared at me. As I got my things together I noticed him staring at me.

I kind of suspected it, ever since he first met me in summer camp, that Daesung  had a small crush on me. I mean, what boy would give you flowers saying that the flowers reminded them of you? Who else would care for a person like me and not expect anything in return? I feel guilty, I really do. And the fact that I was being selfish in Science class makes me feel like a complete . Daesung wanted to sing next to me, and all I wanted was to sit next  to Youngbae. Well, does he still like me now? I slammed my locker and grabbed my books.

“I have English next…”

“Oh, we have a different class then.” Daesung looked down at the floor and started backing away. “Well I guess I’ll see you soon, huh?” I nodded.

“Yeah I guess.” He nodded and walked away from me. I noticed Youngbae standing right there at his locker staring at me. He gave me his special eye smile and I smiled back. The look on his face was hesitant, like he wanted to tell me something, but I couldn’t point it out. Then two other guys walked over to him, blocking me out of his view.

“Yo Youngbae! What’s up man?” The blonde haired boy asked him, voice louder than it should be.

“Sup,” he said, eyeing all the two guys.

“Haven’t see you all day. Where you been at? Class?” The shorter guy joked, smiling.

Who in the hell are they? Seniors? They look a bit older to be in high school, especially the taller one. I began walking away from my locker and to my class until Youngbae calls my name. I stop in my tracks. “…” I whispered softly and I turn around smiling.

“Yes?”

“Oh, I was going to ask you what class you have next…” The two other guys stared at me.

“English.”

The color in his face disappeared.

“Aw, isn’t that nice? We’ll all walk to class together then.” The blonde haired boy said. I didn’t like the sound of this. At all.