Back home

Out of her shell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Australian “tour” went about as well as expected.  Jennie rebelled at calling a series of 3 shows at medium-sized local clubs a tour, but Ms Lee insisted.  The crowds were actually slightly larger than expected, even if the fraction of them that was actually in the club to hear Blackpink (as opposed to just because it’s their regular club), was maddening small.  Still, they got applause at the end of each song and they sold out all their fansignings, so they had to call the tour a success, no matter what else happened.  (Even a couple of days after the second show, Rosé was still sore after losing some hair during “Boombayah” thanks to a splintery spot on the stage.  And Ms Lee had already called and yelled at the owner of the third club after Lisa almost fell into the audience during “As If It’s Your Last” thanks to be stage being almost a foot shallower than promised.)

As their van took them to the airport to return home, they happened to pass by the third club and saw a van out front indicating carpenters were at work inside.

“Looks like Ms Lee yelling at them worked miracles,” Lisa said.

Jennie laughed.  “Yeah, that and the threat of not getting a spot on Bigbang’s Australian tour later this year.”

“Well, at least they’re getting it fixed,” Lisa retorted.  “Teetering on the edge of the stage with nothing below me but a concrete floor and a handful of drunk Australians isn’t an experience I want to ever have again.”

During this conversation, Rosé had pulled out her phone and texted Ms Lee:  “Plz call 2nd club. Head still hurts from hair ripped out by splintery stage.”

When they arrived at the airport, Jisoo looked around to see who was going to be her airport buddy.  She was pleased and surprised to see that it as Lisa again - she almost never got the same airport buddy twice.

“Didn’t anybody tell you?” Lisa said in response to the confused look on Jisoo’s face.  “Jennie and Rosé and I talked about it while you were arranging for our breakfast this morning.  As long as I’m there, I’m your airport buddy.  You’re my girl, so it’s my responsibility to get you safely onto the plane.”

Jisoo was already clinging to one of Lisa’s arms, but that still left one arm for the taller girl to reach across and give her a hug.  Jisoo had never felt so safe in an airport.

*   *   *   *   *   *

By the time their plane had arrived in Seoul, they were all ready to get home, get a shower, and get into bed.  A dispute over who’d get to shower first was starting to get heated, each girl sure she had the best reason for getting to go first, until Rosé pulled out a deck of cards and had them draw cards for their showering order.  (As it turned out, Lisa got to go first, then Rosé, then Jennie, then Jisoo.)

When the car dropped them off at the YG dormitories, they went up to their apartment and were surprised to see a large bouquet sitting on the ground outside their door.  Rosé picked it up and looked at the card.  “It’s for Jisoo,” she said, handing the flowers over.

Once they’d gotten inside and Jisoo had found a vase to put the flowers in and give them some water, she finally opened to card.

“About time,” Jennie said.  “Were you trying to kill us with anticipation?”

Rosé shushed her.  “Shhhhh.  Let her read it.”

Having already read the card to herself, Jisoo took a deep breath and read aloud:

    Dear Jisoo,
        I heard about the Australia tour and I wish you continued success.  You’ve earned it.
    Devotedly yours,
    A Big Fan

“Oooooh!  Jisoo’s got a secret admirer!”  Jennie laughed.  “Lisa had better watch out.”

Lisa came out of the shower just in time to hear the end of this.  “Lisa had better watch out for what?”

Jisoo handed her the card and let her read it for herself.  As she handed the card back, Lisa said “I don’t recognize the handwriting.  You?”

Jisoo said she didn’t recognize it, and after being shown the card, Jennie and Rosé didn’t recognize it either.  Then Rosé pointed out that if the flowers were ordered by phone or online, then the card would have been written by the florist.

“So we’re no closer to solving the mystery than we were before,” Lisa groused.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter