#six

Seven Chapters

“Lilo, sweetie. I’ve only had a hour sleep. Can it wait?” 

 

“Uh… it’s YoungBae.” He forced himself to say, taken aback by the English. He heard the sleepy state Mariana appeared to be on the other end of line. Her husky voice was even huskier and dear God did it go things to him. 

 

“Oh, Bae. Hi.” He heard the squeaking of bed springs and he closed his eyes, forcing himself to calm down. “Sorry, I need to get out of bed otherwise I’ll fall asleep talking to you.” She finally switched the Japanese and YoungBae almost said he wouldn’t mind that, imagining doing that cute talked-for-so-long-we-fell-asleep thing couples did. 

 

“I’m sorry did I wake you?” He asked, looking at the clock. It was just past nine in the morning. Sure he wished he could have slept in a little bit but JiYong wanted to get out and have a full day shopping. Well, that was what he had decided this morning when he woke YoungBae up and told him to get ready and call Mariana. The last part was the reason why they were getting up so early. Aside from JiYong wanting to play wingman and get YoungBae a full day with his crush, YoungBae could tell JiYong wanted to meet/impress his future wife’s friend. Also, JiYong loved Demmy D’s style. So there was that, also. 

 

“No, you’re fine.” Mariana said. “What’s up? Did you make it home last night?”

 

“Yeah.” YoungBae said. “JiYong was still up and we talked for a little bit. What about you?”

 

He heard a sigh on the other end. “A friend called me up because they wanted to do some night photography. So we went and took some photos. Then, I got called in to discuss a new project. After that I had to go meet up with some dancers about a music video and we brainstormed and began choreographing. Then, I couldn’t sleep because I kept thinking of fish so I wrote five songs and played around the studio until 7am when I had to go meet with my manager Lilo about touring.” Mariana said. “Hence why I thought you were her. Sorry.”

 

“No, that’s fine. Totally fine.” YoungBae said. “So, uh, have you slept?”

 

“Not - “ yawn  “ - really.”

 

“You should get some sleep.” YoungBae said. Then he hit himself on the head, knowing that she had been getting sleep until he had woken him up. “I mean, uh - “

 

“It’s okay, I don’t mind talking to you.” Mariana cut him off. He didn’t hear a flirty tone in her voice. There was only genuine truth… and fatigue. God, she sounded so tired. He hadn’t ever heard of someone having such a full on night. 

 

And he was best friends with Kwon JiYong. 

 

“Now I feel bad for asking you.”

 

“Don’t be. Just as long as you get me coffee then we’re fine.” 

 

“So if I asked you to come out shopping with JiYong and I…”

 

“I would say large latté with no sugar.” Mariana said.

 

“Do you want me to make it a double shot?” YoungBae offered.

 

“That would be lovely, actually. Thank you.” She said. “Where shall I meet you? Your hotel room?” 

 

“Oh. Uh, sure. Do you want the details?”

 

“Sure. Saves me effort finding them message Nina sent me with them.” It took a moment for YoungBae to process what she said. “Give me thirty minutes and I’ll be there.” 

 

“Okay. Uh, thank you.” He cringed, wincing at the fact he was thanking her. Why was he thanking her?

 

“It’s okay. You’re the one that’s getting me coffee.”

 

“I’ll see you soon.”

 

“Bye Bae.” She hung up and YoungBae looked down at his phone. He dropped it onto his bed and stood up. He had showered, done his hair and was dressed. He had done all that before calling her so as to give himself time to prepare himself for calling her. What was the English word Nina had used before? Procrastination? 

 

YoungBae left his room, seeing no point to remain there and walked out to see… everyone. His stomach dropped, seeing Daesung eating breakfast at the table, talking to SeungHyun who was reading something on his iPad. Seungri was cutting up fruit to make a fruit smoothie, boasting about him being healthy and adapting to a balanced lifestyle. JiYong was behind him, boiling some eggs on the stove. 

 

“YoungBae! Would you like a Seungri Smoothie!” Maknae asked him in English, using that language so the S’s would match up. YoungBae made a polite no, then said yes, not knowing if Mariana would want something extra. 

 

“Wait, seriously?” Daesung asked YoungBae in reference to him actually saying yes to the latest bizarre thing maknae had come up with. 

 

“Yeah. It’s not for me.”

 

“She said yes?” JiYong asked, catching on YoungBae’s words. 

 

“Yeah. She’ll be here in half an hour.” 

 

“Who’s going to be here in half an hour?” SeungHyun spoke. 

 

“Uh, a friend.” YoungBae mumbled pathetically as he pulled out his phone. So he had called her at 9:08, it was 9:12 now which meant she’d be here in - 

 

“Mariana?” SeungHyun said. 

 

“What?” Daesung asked, mouth full of food.

“She is in Paris.” SeungHyun said. “And she’d help JiYong out with…” He trailed off as Daesung’s mouth dropped into an o of understanding. YoungBae looked at JiYong who nodded. He must’ve told them this morning. 

 

“Ji’s gonna propose!” Seungri said in a hushed voice, pressing a finger to his mouth. 

 

“He already knows, maknae.” SeungHyun said, not even looking up from the tablet. 

 

“Yeah, well I’m reminding him it’s a secret.” 

 

“Does Mariana know -“

 

“MARIANA?!” Seungri finally put everything together. “She’s coming here!” Seungri looked down at the fruit he was chopping up. “I’m making this for Demmy D?!” 

 

“Calm down.” YoungBae said. “And no, she doesn’t know. I figured Ji should be the one to tell her… if he wants.” JiYong patted YoungBae’s shoulder as he moved to reach for a fry pan. YoungBae noted the way JiYong transferred the boiled eggs from the saucepan into a frying pan, frying them over. “Can I have one?” JiYong nodded and Bae smiled. 

 

“Okay well all this fruit won’t do! I need to start again!” Seungri said frantically, rushing around for no apparent reason. YoungBae frowned at him, watching him going through the array of fruit before him on the table. He heard Seungri muttering to himself about the freshest before the maknae looked up at everyone. “Hey, do you know if fruit tastes different depending on how you chop it?”

 

“What are you talking about?” SeungHyun asked, finally tearing his eyes away to look at Seungri the way that SeungHyun always stared at the younger male when he said something… like this. Disappointedly confused. 

 

“I’m going to get coffee, anyone want anything?” YoungBae asked. Everyone said no but JiYong who asked if he could get something for Nina. YoungBae nodded, leaving the apartment as Seungri said, “Like with animals? The way you kill them affects the taste - what? It’s a valid question!”

 

There was a small coffee shop just outside the hotel. Whilst it was France and the fanbase wasn’t so big here, YoungBae still kept his head low. Glasses would’ve been far too inconspicuous considering the cool weather and he didn’t really want to wear a hat today, having gotten his hair styled how he liked it. 

 

The cashier was a young boy who spoke some English. Surprisingly, the exchange wasn’t so difficult and YoungBae was able to get everything he wished conveyed to the cashier who put it through. Even when the boy saw YoungBae staring at some pastries and asked if he wanted one, YoungBae nodded and began picking out random pastries that looked nice. YoungBae smiled warmly at the boy as he handed over the euros demanded of him and even wished him a nice day. Feeling rejuvenated from successfully navigating a conversation in English, YoungBae walked back to the hotel with a smile on his face. 

 

“You’re back!” Seungri called when YoungBae opened the door. “Noona likes my drink!” YoungBae frowned, having thought Seungri would anguish over making one for Mariana before making one for Nina. Until he walked in and saw Mariana standing next to Seungri, sounding to have been mid conversation with Daesung.

 

She was dressed in all black. Black overalls with a baggy black t-shirt underneath that had the red box logo of Supreme on it. The bottoms of her overalls were rolled up 90s style, showing off the black, white and red Jordans 1s. Her hair had all the curls tied up in a messy bun on the top of her head, random curls framing her face. 

 

YoungBae had worried about how it would work with everyone in the room and her arriving. When he had saw that everyone was up, he had stressed, telling himself he’d just have to kick them out (or in) to their rooms when the door knocked. Apparently, all the awkwardness he imagined had been in his head. 

 

“Uh, hi.” YoungBae said. In his head, he was counting the minutes. Surely that couldn’t have been 30 minutes? Either way, he couldn’t dwell on it because she was here. He went to the table where Daesung and SeungHyun were sitting at. He dropped the coffee and pastries and smiled at her. “Your coffee.” He said, pulling the cup from the carry tray the boy had given him. He walked over to see that her and Seungri were cutting up fruit together. She wiped her hand on a towel and accepted the coffee had handed her. She took a sip and smiled. She let out a mmmmm. 

 

“Good?”

 

“Good.”

 

“Do you want something to eat?” YoungBae asked, sliding into Japanese. “I went to this shop that had all these nice pastries and…” He gestured to the many bags a top the table. Seungri, seeing this, immediately dropped the fruit and knife in his hands and dashed to the smell of chocolate and fresh bread. Even SeungHyun, who wasn’t a fan of the breakfast traditions outside Korea had pulled out a chocolate croissant and bit into it.  

 

“Sure. Do you mind if I just go say hi to Nina first? I felt a bit awkward when Daesung opened the door for me and, uh, Seungri immediately wanted me to try a Seungri Smoothie…” 

 

“Yeah, yeah. She’s the last room on the left. Ji might be with her.” Mariana nodded and smiled. She took another sip of the coffee when YoungBae remembered the other cup. “Oh, Ji asked me to get her this. Do you mind, uh, - ?” 

 

“Of course.” She took the other cup in her hand and nodded at the various paper bags that had been ripped open. “Save me a pain au chocolat.” She said before disappearing down the hall. YoungBae went to the table and stared at maknae who was stuffing his face with baguette. YoungBae wasn’t sure whether the kiss him or hit him. 

 

“She’s nice.” SeungHyun said. “Not… what I expected.”

 

“What did you expect?” YoungBae asked, pulling out a chair to sit down. 

 

“Confidence to the point of snobbishness.” SeungHyun answered honestly. “She was a bit awkward at first, understandably. Then maknae asked her his stupid fruit question and she asked if he needed help.” 

 

“Before you walked in, we were talking about shoes.” Daesung said. “Her Japanese is really good. Probably better than mine.” He added as an afterthought. 

 

“She looks tired.” Seungri piped up. “Is she okay?”

 

“You know how JiYong gets close to an album release?” They all nodded. “Her night was that times ten.” 

 

“So that explains the coffee.” SeungHyun said. “Although I’m sensing she might be an addict.”

 

“If her life is like what you say it is,” Daesang began, reaching for a piece of quiche. “I don’t blame her.”

 

JiYong walked into the room and paused, not seeing Seungri at his previous spot in the kitchen. He turned and saw all of his bandmates sitting around, eating French pastries. He shrugged and pulled out a chair, joining them. 

 

“Your girlfriend woke Nina up.” 

 

“And I woke her up for you.” YoungBae countered, ignoring the girlfriend comment. JiYong huffed, clearly him and Nina had been having a moment which Mariana had walked in on. That, or JiYong was just being JiYong and hated ‘sharing’ Nina with anyone else. It could have well just been a combination of the two because YoungBae could feel the tension radiating off his best friend. 

 

“What’s up?” YoungBae asked. Please dear God tell me he’s not mad at her. Having my best friend and potential… significant other hate each other would just - please just let me not. Let today be a good day which we all bond as we already have thus far. Please God. Please, please, please - 

 

“What do you think is the most romantic language?” JiYong blurted out loud. 

 

“Le français!” Seungri said, throwing the piece of baguette he had in his hand in the air. “Vive la france!”

 

“What brought this on?” SeungHyun asked. 

 

“Because I thought hearing Nina speak Spanish was enough. Then I heard her speak Arabic with Mariana and - “ he cut himself off and shook his head. He pushed the chair out and briskly walked off, saying something about needing a shower. For a moment, everyone was at a loss. Seungri then broke the moment by reaching for another chocolate one. YoungBae slapped his hand. 

 

“Save one for Mariana.” 

 

The maknae pulled back his hand, nursing it to himself. 

 

The aforementioned girl walked back into the living room/kitchen with Nina in arm. They were laughing at something, a few noises thrown here and there but the laughter made it inconceivable for YoungBae to decipher what language. Part of him hoped they’d speak Arabic so he could understand what had caused such a big fuss for JiYong. The other part of him wished he’d never hear the language from her lips because, really, he wasn’t sure if he could handle that. 

 

The laughter calmed down when the girls saw the four men staring at them. Nina waved them off and Mariana grimaced, feeling slightly awkward. She spied the spot JiYong had been occupying previously and went for that. She went for the chocolate croissant and Seungri made a sound. 

 

“Oh, did you want it?”

 

“He’s had three already.” SeungHyun said. “And I don’t think our Seungri needs anymore sugar.” 

 

“Oh, it’s okay. I don’t mind.” Mariana pushed the croissant to Seungri who was getting the glare from YoungBae. Seungri shook his head, out of politeness. “No, seriously. You made me a drink.” When Seungri didn’t take it, Mariana pursed her lips. “How about we halve it?” She began ripping it in half before he could say anything and passed him the bigger side. 

 

“You and Nina spoil him.” Daesung said. 

 

“He made me a drink.” Mariana said shrugging. YoungBae was about to make a comment that he had bought her coffee but decided against the teasing. He could tell she was tired and had literally given up sleep to be here right now. Because of him. That should be enough. Although, apparently it wasn’t when she pulled a bite sized piece off the chocolate croissant and looked sidewards at him. She offered it to him. He accepted it, grinning. 

 

“So what time are we leaving?” Mariana asked. 

 

It was then that Nina finally spoke also, looking around, “Wait, where’s JiYong?”

 

“Oh, he had to take a shower.” Seungri said, smiling into his half of the chocolate croissant.