Chapter 6

Hay mistake

SOLAR

 

 

She looked at her wardrobe with disgust. I don't want this damn date. I just want to be left alone. Is it such a hard request to grant?

 

Loneliness had a soft embrace, that didn’t ask for much, just to stay by your side silently. She cherished the moments where she could let time pass by, letting her soul heal with the sound of soft music in her ears, and the weight of a book in her hands. 

Then she could let her mind wander, travel to foreign places where she was nobody, no responsibilities were held against her. She could be a normal girl, having a simple life.

 

Sadly, she could not have such live, she was condemned with the weight of a legacy she had to mantain. No, she was no princess but, nowadays, being the daughter of a very wealthy family meant that she had to marry rich. She could consider herself lucky if she had a say in who she was going to marry.

 

Yong shook her head, as if trying to make the ideas forcefully go away. Redirecting the attention to her wardrobe, she just grabbed a cozy sweater and a dark skirt, and painstakingly put it on, like it was torture. She kept the make-up at bare minimum, he didn't deserve more effort than that. At the last second, she decided to wear a cute beret she bought.

 

 

*Date Jerk: I'll be there in 5 min ;)*

 

UGH 

 

 

Kwongsuk appeared with a flashing sports car, red as a blood moon, screaming "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE MONEY". He wore a decently casual attire, with black skinny trousers, sweater and a blazer on top. He'd look good if he could swipe off that so called "charming" smile of his.

 

"You look very beautiful" he said

 

"Thank you" I couldn't even look at him, feeling like running away would be the smart choice

 

"Let's go" he made an awkward bow as she were a princess and opened her car door.

 

He made an effort of making the short trip comfortable, with low jazzy music and putting the perfect temperature through the heater. She appreciated the car, it wasn't the type she would drive, but the thing was very neat. The motor's purr made her forget where she was, just enjoying the view and letting her mind wander.

 

 

They walked to a local café,  a stylish looking but cozy place that looked popular among middle to upper class young people. It was decorated like it was a remodelled mountain cabin, even with a chimney with a warm fire, that made the loveliest sound when the wood cracked under the heat. They sat on a more private table, that had very comfortable sofas. Yong quickly grabbed a menu, and her eyes spotted what she was seeking in no time.

 

"Good afternoon, what can I get you?" A waitress swiftly went to their table, as if she knew that they knew what they wanted.

 

"Good afternoon. I'd like a skinny latte, and the beauty across me .." he cued her in the most annoying and greasy manner. Disgusting....

 

"I'd like a cappuccino and a piece of carrot cake, please" if she had to endure this, at least she would enjoy herself

 

When the waitress left, without missing a beat he said "Are you sure you want to eat that? You should keep in mind your shape, you don't want to get fat.

 

Solar smiled, like she never did before, the jerk gave her an excuse to quit this stupid date "Oh, thank you. I didn't know my body was part of your concerns"

 

He astonished said "I mean, a woman like you... I want to date you, but I want you in shape. I don't like fat people, it's so crass..."

 

"Oh, I am sorry that having some fat is so un-aesthetically pleasing. I'll have that in mind" The waitress arrived with her cake "Oh, thank you. I'm sorry to bother you, but do you mind putting my order to take away? This date is over" The poor waitress looked like she didn't know what to do, but she looked at her like she understood and swiftly went back to the counter.

 

"What?, the date has just started. Where do you think you're going?”

 

“You see, I don’t date jerks. It’s so crass” She copied his tone, mocking him. He looked like he didn’t understand her reaction. Poor fool, he doesn’t even know how vain he is. "The date is over when I say so. Your father is very important, but that doesn't entitle you to treat another human being like that. You're an . “

 

She ended that with a satisfied smile and went to the counter to grab her cake and coffee and tipped generously the waitress. She left feeling like the day went the best way possible, she was free to go where she wanted.

 

 

 

 

MOONBYUL

 

 

Byul walked around town, just running some errands. Enjoying some time off. 

The sun was making the weather warm and the trees looked really pretty, with their beautiful fall leaves. She really enjoyed the crunching sound they made when she walked through the park.

 

Her feet carried her unconsciously to her favourite Bubble Tea shop .

"Well, now that I am here, I better treat myself" She asked for the usual, taiwanese milk tea with tapioca. The owner knew her, and always made her order with less sugar. She liked it slightly bitter.

 

Happily, she went to search for a free spot to sit near the cherry blossom trees. She liked the peace she felt under their uncanny pink, even though now they didn’t look as pretty since it wasn’t spring. A girl was sitting under the biggest one, and looked slightly familiar from that distance. 

 

Oh damn, it's Kim Yongsun.

 

From where she was, she could observe her without the fear of getting caught. She had her beautiful raven hair falling straight over her shoulders. Yongsun looked less uptight with that casual attire.

 

She looks cute.....I guess

 

Without even thinking, she started getting closer to where the other girl was. Before she could realise where she was going, Yong had already spotted her.

 

, now what?

 

Yong didn't look upset by her presence, just... surprised. 

 

I guess I cannot turn around.

 

 

Steadily, she kept her pace, doing her best to maintain her gaze on the other girl, while not making it awkward. Byul stopped in front of her “Hi”

 

Yongsun was drinking some kind of coffee and had a piece of cake on her lap, still untouched. “Hello, miss MoonByul” she responded with a formal tone, as if they were in a formal setting.

 

Byul slightly chuckled “I’m just Byul”. Noticing the awkward silence that was starting to grow between them both she added “Can I sit with you? I was just looking for a spot to sit down and drink this”

 

Yong had a strange look in her face, as if pondering a difficult decision. She ended up answering with a short “Sure”.

 

“Do you come here often?” She inmediately wanted to facepalm herself for saying something so dumb “I mean, I come here often and have never seen you”

 

“No, I rarely have the chance to come here” She gazed down to her lap, grabbed the fork and eat a piece of cake. She had a weird look on her face, but she didn’t have a clue what could it mean. 

 

“What are you eating?”

 

“Carrot cake” she shook her coffee container “and a cappuccino”

 

“Oh, that’s my favourite cake. Well, other than anything with Oreos in it” She chuckled

 

“Do you want some?, I don’t know if I can finish it all by myself” she offered her a small plastic fork, and put the cake between them

 

“Thanks!” The cake was delicious, and was a perfect match with her drink. She sighed, satisfied

 

“So, if you don’t mind my asking, what do you do in your free time?” 

 

The other woman seemed to ponder before answering “I don’t usually have ‘free time’. It’s usually taken up by social events and similar things” Her eyes looked really sad as she lowered her gaze to the cake, taking another small bite. "I just had a date, that's why I'm here"

 

"I remember. How did it go with the guy?"

 

"Well, I'm sitting here alone, so you can guess" she paused for a second "Actually, I'm glad it didn't go well"

 

"Why?"

 

"He's not my type at all"

 

There was a silent pause between them. She started to think about what could the other woman's type be. As if it mattered. 

Why am I thinking about it?? Focus, Byul

 

“I know you don’t know me, and probably I’m not the best company since we have had a rough start, which is okay…” she started to ramble, so she took a deep breath and started again “I just … if you need someone to hang out to take a break, I am available, just in case you want, not that..”

“Thank you, Moonbyul” she answered before she could embarrass herself more for her lack of eloquence

 

The evening sun was painting orange the sky. She looked at Yongsun. The golden-hour light made her skin glow. She really was very pretty, she could only praise every feature.

 

Idiot, what are you even thinking? She hates you, and she’s a snob…. a pretty snob but that doesn’t change things. You’re just a poor stable girl to her.

 

“So, I should go back home” Yongsun stated after a long time quiet

 

“Yeah, me too”

 

 

A/N: Hello, for those who are still interested in this story. I'm really sorry about not updating this, but my masters degree has been literal hell. After spending a weekend with my gf, I got a bit inspired to go back to this. I hope you guys enjoy this short chapter, and I'll be reading the comments to get your feedback

A/N 2: I got the chance to go to Korea with my gf to see Mamamoo (the f/w concert) and I got blown away by how beautiful, talented and amazing they are (even though I already knew). Such an unforgetable experience

A/N 3: In case you want to follow me on twitter, my user name is @thegrumpyjo