Surprised visit

Everything's change

I woke up in a familiar room.  I was in my room.  I can’t remember how did I get home.  I checked my bed, bathroom, around my room if there were girls I took home with, none.  I was alone and glad.  I went inside the bathroom to freshen up.  I kept thinking what happened last night and how did I get here.

As I stepped out from the bathroom, I heard a glass broken.  It was from the kitchen.  I hurriedly went out my room to check. I heard a sob, it was Pie.

I heard a sob but no one was in my kitchen.  I followed sound of snob and I found Pie sitting on the floor and there was blood on her right heel.

“What the hell happened Pie?”  I helped her stand to bring to the chair.

“I slipped, I was holding a glass, I broke it.  I was trying to stand and….” She sobbed.

“I get it.” I made sure she sat properly. “Wait here, I’ll get the kit. We’ll clean that up.”

She nodded and I went straight to the bathroom.

I gave her a medicine to less the pain, I gave her a glass of water.  She thanked me for cleaning up her wound.  I gave her a pair of slippers.  I checked the time it was already 11:00 am and we haven’t eaten yet.

“Do you want me to call the chef?” I asked her.

She smiled and nodded.

“Okay, I’ll take you to the living room to relax, I will call the chef and I will the clean the kitchen.”

“Okay.” She smiled.

I took her hand to help her stand and walked to the sofa.

---------

We all seated in the living room.  I don’t want Pie to stand again to walked to the kitchen to eat.  Chef Hongyok cooked us with great and delicious meal.  We were in the middle of eating, talking and laughing, we heard Kim’s phone ringing inside her room.  I looked at Pie and she nodded.  I stood up and walked to my room to answer the phone.

The rang was cut when I was about to pick my phone from the night stand.  I looked at my phone, it was missed from my father.  I wonder why he called.  I walked back to the room to get out.  I can hear Pie’s laugh from the living room.  I know Hongyok had a great sense of humor.  Pie’s laugh was like a music to my ears.  I stopped and tried to listen their conversation from the door.

“You are really a great chef, you know that?” Pie said.

“Thank you, but big thanks to Kim.”

“Why? Wait, are you guys related or something?”

Hongyok laughed. “We’re friends.  Period.  Being chef is my dream job.  Kim helped me to become one. Big time. “

“How did she help you?”

“Well, I was an orphan.  My parents died in a car accident when I was six.  Since no relatives trying to get me, I was sent to an orphanage and lived there for two years.  My life was hell in the orphanage.  The kids kept hurting me so I ran away.  I was living in the streets for months.  One day, I found Kim in the park hurting by kids.  I ran to her and helped her.  I made the kids to ran away.  She was in really deep hurt.  You know, wounds and bruises everywhere.  I helped her to stand then Aunt In with some bodyguard came.  They taught I was the one who hurt her.  Kim explained to them what really happen then she asked Aunt In to keep me.  They took me to their house.  Kim asked her parents to keep me as part of her family but her mother did not agree.  Her father gave me a place to stay without her mother’s knowing.  Kim, Aunt In and her father helped me with my education until I become chef.  After I graduate, Kim helped me with financial and everything to get this restaurant.  I am forever grateful.”

“Wow.”

“You know what, you guys visit me at the restaurant.”

“I would love too but not now, it’s hard to walk with this.”

“Okay, okay.”

“I’ll ask Kim.”

“No, drag her.”

“Huh? Drag her? Why?”

“She never steps at my restaurant, FYI.”

“Really, at all?”

“Yeah, even at the opening event?”

“Do you know why?” Pie asked.

“Hi guys, I’m back.” I cut in and seated beside Pie.  I wanted their conversation to be over.

Hongyok nodded and check her wrist watch.  “Oh guys, I need to back to my restaurant.”

Pie pouted.  “I love talking to you, you know?”

“You can visit me anytime at the ground floor.”

Hongyok and I stood up.  I walked with her to door.

“Thanks bud.” I said.

“You’re welcome.  She’s sweet. Keep her.”

“She has a boyfriend.”

“I know, I didn’t mean in a romantic way.”

I nodded.  “Okay, okay.”

“Bye bud.” I closed the door and went back to the living room.

Pie was trying to stand up to bring the dishes to the kitchen.  I ran to stop her.

“Hey, don’t.” I took the plates from her hand. “Sit down.”

“But I want to.” She insisted.

“No, you’re hurt.  Let me do that.  I want you to rest.  My other rooms are not ‘guest ready’ needs to be cleaned.  I want you to go to my room and sleep.”

“But…”

“Please Pie.” I took her hand and guided her to walk to my room.”

I made sure Pie was already sleeping in my bed before I left the room.  I washed to dishes and called the reception to ask someone to clean the guest rooms.  I watched TV while waiting for the room service.  Pie’s bag left open on the floor beside the sofa.  I took her bag and I saw 4 small packs of drugs inside.  I took it but I returned it.  I brought her bag to my room.  The doorbell rang, I went to the front door and let the 2 women in white in and lead them to the guest rooms.  When they started cleaning, I left them and took a shower.

As I step out from the bathroom, Pie was nowhere in my room, maybe she left.  I hurriedly went to my closet to change.  I was about to turn the knob of my door, I heard giggles.  Pie’s giggles.  I believed she was in the kitchen.  I went out, I saw Aunt In looking for something in the refrigerator while talking to Pie leaning on the sink. The ladies who cleaned the guest rooms were already gone.

“Aunt In? Aunt In! You’re here!” I called her surprised.

She closed the ref’s door and turned to me. “Hi Kim! I missed you.” She opened her arms waiting for me to hug her.

“I miss you so much.” I hugged her tightly.  I pulled myself to face her. “But you said next month.”

“I want to check on you.  I was worried because you didn’t reply my message.”

I nodded.  “I’m sorry.  Since you’re here, where are my parents?” I asked.  Aunt In was always with my parents.  She was the only one my parents can trust fully when it comes around the house.  My parents had different types of housemaids in the house: parlor maids, chamber maids, laundry maids and so on.  Aunt In was the head of them.

“They’re in the US.  The first lady of the president there is going to have a party and your parents are invited.  They just left early this morning.”

“I see.  When will they come back?” I asked.

“I am not sure, maybe in this Friday.”

“Are you going to stay the night here?  I really miss you.” I pleaded.

Aunt In frowned.  “I really love to stay but half of the maids are on their vacation.  I gave them two days, you know to have time with their family and the other half after them.  I gave them a breather, they were always working in the house, your parents always have visitors around and everything should be spotless.

“How about you? You should rest too.”  Pie asked.

“I am okay.”  Aunt In sighed.  “I am just happy to see Kim and the other kid below.”

“You mean Hongyok?” Pie asked.

“Yes.” She answered. “Wait,” She turned to me. “Does she know everything?”

“Yes.” I nodded.

“Oh,” Pie interrupted. “I forgot to introduce myself.” She offered her hand to Aunt In. “I’m Pie. Kim’s friend.”

“Oh,” Aunt In shocked. “I forgot too.” She took her hand to shake. I laughed. “We’ve been talking like an hour and we never introduce.  Well, you know me already.” She winked at Pie and to me.

“You guys are crazy.” I laughed. I thought you already knew each other because I hear you guys giggling from the room.

Pie’s phone rang.  “It’s Mike, I have to take this and you should bond.” Aunt In and I nodded.

“Who’s Mike?” Aunt In asked.

I smiled. “Her boyfriend.”

“Oh. She’s nice. I like her. For you.”

“Oh no, Aunt In. Please no.”

“Well, yes. She has a boyfriend. Too sad. I should cook for you both.” She went back to the refrigerator.

I laughed. “We can call Hongyok to cook for us.”

“Nah, don’t disturb her. She is making a living.”

“How’s home by the way? How are you?” I asked.

“I am good. I really miss you.”

“I miss you too.  Are you planning to retire? If does, you can stay here with me.”

“Are you planning to have you own family, Kim?”

I didn’t answer. I just shook my head.

“I know you will.  It just the right person is not yet, you know around.”

“Maybe, One day.”

“One day.” She added.

“Did my parents talk about me?”

Aunt In didn’t answer.

I sighed. “They never really…. Maybe they will never even notice me when I am dead.”

“Don’t say that.”

“They are really, Aunt In.  Looks like they even don’t know that I exist!”

“You father loves you. You know that.”

“I don’t feel that anymore.”

There was silence between us.  Aunt In started to ignite the burner to start cooking.

Pie came back.  “How’s the bond?” She stopped. “Are you guys okay?”

I didn’t answer, I looked down.

“Can I call you Aunt In too?” Pie asked trying to kill the silence.

“Yes.” Aunt In smiled.

“What are you cooking, Aunt In?”

“I really don’t know. I just took these leftovers and trying to make some magic from them.”

We all laughed.

Aunt In left after our dinner to visit Hongyok to her restaurant.  I let Pie washed the dishes and I was sitting on the couch watching TV.  My parents were on the news again.  They were proud that their fellow citizen got invited to a party at the White House.  I remembered our conversation with Aunt In.  They don’t remember me. Ever. I felt the pain in my heart again.

“Are you okay?” Pie asked.

I nodded.

“I heard.” Pie said.

“About what?”

“About you parents? That they never mention you in your house?”

“Their house.” I turned off the TV and closed my eyes.

“Kim?”

“Yes?”

“Do you want to get high?”