the one.

it's a beautiful thing. | kth

the one.

"You're— you, right? Lee Nari?" Jungkook questioned, his lips parted in equal shock. "When did you— how—"

Nari shut her eyes tightly and shook her head. "I'm sorry, sir, but do I know you?"

She just didn't want to deal with this. Nari thought for sure that she'd never cross paths with Jeon Jungkook again, Busan boy, in Daegu of all places, working as a model.

That wasn't the Jungkook she knew. The Jungkook she knew aspired to be an idol, singing and dancing and rapping his passionate b-boy heart out, something he was shaped and made to do. Modeling only lived up to so little of his potential.

This isn't Jungkook, she stubbornly thought. He's still a boy to me— his neck, his hands, his legs, his— his hair is brown now, and he looks so mature—

"Oh, I'm sorry then," Jungkook shyly apologized, dismayed by his previous outburst. The temperature rose for the both of them, making them sweat a little. "I think I mixed you up with someone I knew once. Just— forget what I said. Again, I'm sorry."

He kept bowing, making Nari more and more uncomfortable. "It's fine, really..."

After an awkward moment, she waved goodbye and started walking away in the wrong direction she intended to go to, when she heard her name being called.

"Nari-ah! Hey, you were taking so long, I was worried for a second—"

Jungkook glanced back and forth at Jin and Nari. Nari's shoulders were raised to her ears, her body frozen. She forced herself to continue walking when Jungkook grabbed her wrist.

"Wait, he just—! You just said— Lee Nari."

Jin gaped at these random twist of events, motionless, wondering how he should react.

"You're the one! You're Lee Nari, aren't you?" He managed to say, grinning incredulously. Nari, brows deeply furrowed, tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but Jungkook refused to let go. It was as if he was afraid to lose her from his sight again.

"Please answer me before you leave," he said, almost begging in his tone. Nari's breathing was getting heavier by the second, memories popping up from all sorts of places in her mind. The feeling was dizzying.

"H-Hold on," she sputtered out, clutching her ginger locks. At this point, there was no way Jungkook could deny that it wasn't the Lee Nari he once knew. She was so thin, so unique in the Korean streets; but what caught his attention the most was her ghostly, fatigued skin, almost dull in color, especially under her eyes.

Jin, snapping out of his daze, moved over and broke the two apart. "Give her some space, JK," he urged, holding onto him and leaving Nari free. Nari could not look anywhere other than the floor, drawn into a thin line.

"So you really are Jeon Jungkook," she mumbled, letting out an airy, taut laugh.

"You two know each other?" Jin finally asked, whipping his head to Jungkook. He only nodded.

"I should be asking that to you, Jin-ssi," said Nari, somewhat breathless, "but I guess you have all sorts of connections with different people. It's amazing."

Her sarcasm was somehow spine-chilling, and Jin's eyes blinked hard.

She closed her eyes, immobile for a moment, before lifting her head up and smiling. "I'm sorry, Kookie. I missed you, actually. I just wasn't prepared to see you again because I thought I wouldn't— I, um..."

Her eyes were painfully dry. Nari wanted to show something to him, something that would let him know that she was actually pleasantly surprised when words only met halfway with her feelings.

But was she really happy, or just rattled? The feeling wasn't exactly great when she reconsidered it. She felt her stomach doing flips.

Jungkook glanced around, finding them in the middle of the hallway, and decided not to cause further scenes.

"Let's go into the break room and talk," he said, motioning the two to follow him. Jin turned, but looked from behind his shoulder.

Nari looked drained and done with her day.

Jin frowned, unsure what to do, when he saw a shadow from behind her. Nari seemed to notice too, as she rotated her body to the source and hesitantly peered up.

"Ah," let out Taehyung, holding a water bottle he just drank from. "You're here, Nari-ah... and Jin-hyung!"

"Hi V," Jin awkwardly greeted, trying to silently communicate the situation to him with his facial expressions. Taehyung just beamed and nodded.

He had no idea what Jin was doing.

"You guys are late, but it's fine. I'm heading over to the photo shoot room now," he said, averting his smiling eyes to Nari. "Come with me."

He playfully held out his arm for Nari to link hers with, but she declined as politely as she could.

Meanwhile, Jungkook looked back and made a noise of recognition. "Hyung!"

Taehyung waved. "Jungkookie!"

"I was leading them to the break room to talk. Nari and I have some things to catch up on," said Jungkook, which made Taehyung freeze.

"Wait... what did you say?"

He tried to make silent communication with Jin, but Jin beamed back and nodded his head. He had "no idea" what Taehyung was doing.

He made a face that Nari could not find herself staring at for too long. It was like a ghoulish face, his eyes rolling to the back of his head and his mouth frowning like a clown, his brows showing disdain.

She had to in a breath and seal her lips tight in order to control herself. It was funny. She wanted to laugh.

Jihoon would love this.

She blinked at the thought.

In the end, Taehyung respected that Nari and Jungkook knew each other a long time ago (after a quick explanation), and let them talk first. He pulled Jin with him to the studio, and Jin watched him, copying his poses a bit while trying to remain inconspicuous.

A part of him wanted to know about Nari and Jungkook, but it really wasn't any of his business. He busied himself by finding a hidden snack bar in the room and taking samples of each of the foods there.


Alice wanted to spill everything to at least one person whom she decided to believe she could trust. And he was a stranger babysitting her grandson in her house.

"My husband died of grief," she told Jimin gloomily. "He was a fine man. Had mesmerizing eyes I could easily get lost in forever."

"You had sight then?" he asked without thinking, then covered his mouth. "Sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that."

Alice chuckled. "You're fine, Jiminie. See, I married late. I was forty-eight when I finally married to a wonderful man whom I intended to stay married to forever. He was four years younger than me, but love is love, you understand?"

"I think so..." He scratched his head.

"But I couldn't have children, and he got drunk one night to cope with the news. He doesn't drink often, you see. And just like that, he had an accident and was gone."

So passive. She tells it like a fictional story, Jimin thought, listening intently whilst playing with Jihoon's hair. Jihoon kept falling onto his lap because of it, like a purring cat.

"We were only married for three years. I was barren, widowed, and naturally, miserable. I spent my days watering my plants, treating them like they were my family. I lost my sight not long after I settled into that pattern through heredity and poor self-care. Two years later, little Nari showed up at my door with her father, and she now takes care of me."

"How old was Nari-ssi?"

Alice pondered for a second. "Around seven, eight? I've had her for ten years now, and she's eighteen today. She is to turn nineteen this November."

And Jihoon's her son? Jimin frowned, feeling Jihoon making a fist around his fingers. Did she go to school? She would've only been in high school.

"Her name was originally Eleanor, you know, and she knew very little Korean when I first met her. Her father was half-Korean, and I was his cousin's godmother, so that is how we were connected. And other things too."

Jimin scrunched his brows, poking Jihoon's inflated tummy. Jihoon kept trying to smack his hands away, but ended up playing with Jimin's stubby little fingers.

Why her father's cousin's godmother? Why move to Korea?

"Eleanor?" he repeated. "That makes more sense. When I saw her, I was surprised she looked American."

"Is that right? Perhaps if I went out more with her, people would tell that to me often. Tell me, Jiminie, is my Nari beautiful?"

Jimin froze, embarrassed at the question. Instead of answering directly, he asked, "Do you remember colors?"

"I do." Alice looked amused.

"How about the color orange? Like a fiery reddish-orange, like autumn leaves? And the brown leaves too?"

"Is that what Nari looks like?" Alice chuckled, unable to contain her elderly mirth. "Ginger hair and brown eyes? Or amber eyes and brown hair? Either is so beautiful."

"I didn't get a good look at her," Jimin confessed, "but I'm sure she is very beautiful."

Alice nodded to herself, delighted by his words. 

Her glazed eyes shot up to the ceiling. "I pity my poor girl. Her parents could not care for her. Dear Nari's father was the only one who truly cared enough to make sure she was in good hands, raising her until his mentality was hanging on strings."

"What do you mean?"

She smiled, but it did not reach her eyes. "His family did not approve of her. They shunned him. He was also struggling with living a stable life, and wanted better for his daughter."

Jimin was lying on the floor, balancing Jihoon on his raised hands and knees. This made Jihoon giggle, causing Alice to make a noise similar to a squeal.

"Jihoonie really likes you, Jiminie."

He laughed distractedly, "I think so too."

Why would they shun him because of Nari-ssi? So much must've happened to her... maybe her mother wasn't liked? Or maybe

"Jiminie," Jihoon spoke, which was rare. Jimin tried to stop thinking too deeply about Nari, as it wasn't really something he should be concerned about. He already knew too much about someone he hadn't really even met, which in retrospect was disrespectful of him.

At Jihoon's call, Jimin's eyes disappeared in crescents, his cheeks raised, as he gave him a wide smile.


Nari was quiet, trying to think. She couldn't even complete a thought.

Jungkook waited for her, ecstatic but nervous, simply because he sensed that she was probably in more inner turmoil than he was.

"Do— do you remember," Nari tried to speak, "when I went to America with Alice, at around thirteen, and met you in California?"

Jungkook swallowed and nodded. "Yeah. Of course. I was so surprised when I learned you could speak pretty good Korean."

"Though not fluent then."

"Though not fluent then," he agreed, rubbing his neck. "And I thought you were very thin and small."

"I still am," Nari laughed softly; the memories that came up in her head weren't horrible. "I thought you were a nerd."

"But I would wear snapbacks and sagging shorts," he retorted, adding to be extra, "I was cool."

"You were trying too hard, Kookie. Your voice was high and your face was and still looks too babyish."

At that moment, Nari realized just how much she missed talking with a person like this. She couldn't remember if she ever talked to anyone like this to begin with.

It was quiet again, before Jungkook spoke again. "You know why I had to train in America?"

She hummed, getting a little nervous, "Why?"

"Because I was told I was too shy and had no expression on my face when I danced."

Nari let out a laugh at that, unable to help the next words. "Nothing was even used anyway. You're a model now."

Jungkook's face fell. He looked down and shuffled his feet. "Yeah..."

Nari realized her mistake, and she bowed her head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

"No, it's okay," he reassured, smiling again. "Good things have been happening lately. I got recognized for my voice, and maybe they'll notice my dancing and raps as well. I think I can become a well-known idol from here."

"I haven't seen you on billboards or talk shows yet, Kookie."

"I only started modeling a few months ago." He teetered from side to side, something Nari found to be a habit he had when he's shy. "Besides that, I meet you again. You were one of my first friends."

"Not popular in school?"

"Not really," chuckled Jungkook, feeling sheepish. "Again, I wasn't exactly social back then."

Me neither. And we still aren't. She smiled. "Well, I'm glad you're doing so well now."

Jungkook stared attentively at her. "What about you?" he asked. "How are you doing?"

Nari stared back, then couldn't continue any longer, turning her head away and biting her lip. "I've gone through a lot."

"Oh, are you doing okay?"

"My family is financially stable, if that's what you mean. Though barely." Nari shrugged. "We're pulling some strings."

"You only have a mom, right?"

Nari nodded, lifting her head and sweeping a lock of hair behind her ear. Jungkook was staring so much that he started counting the freckles on her constantly-flushed cheeks.

"How is she?"

"Alice-eomma is doing well."

"Is it just you two?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Actually, I— never mind."

He tilted his head. "What? What were you going to say?"

Her body turned this time. "Nothing," she dismissed. Jungkook wanted to insist, but by the guarded atmosphere he got from Nari, he didn't want her to entirely close her doors on him. Baby steps.

"Are you working? In university?" he decided to ask instead. "Or still high school?"

"I... work. With Jin. I dropped out of high school for family reasons."

He hummed at this, playing with his fringe. "Nari, can I stay in contact with you?"

Nari looked back at him, but not meeting his eyes. "What?"

"You don't mind, right? I just met you again, and I have fond memories of us," he said. "The fast food restaurant near the dance studio, the park, your apartment."

Park. Nari had a flashback of Taehyung, in the park, looking up at the setting sky.

"You don't mind me?" she muttered distantly.

"Huh?" Jungkook blinked. "Nari, you— you've changed, haven't you? Are you really okay?"

She shook her head, sitting down on a chair in the break room and closing her eyes. "I'm a mess," she heaved. "And guess what? I'm also afraid of men now, like I get paralyzed afraid, and meeting you again just made this all feel stickier. I missed you, but I also wanted you to stay a boy in my memories, you know? Or maybe you don't?"

"Nari what are you talking about?"

Jungkook did not know how to comfort others, especially girls. To him, they were a different brain, a different species, with complex thoughts and feelings foreign to men. He couldn't even talk to them properly at times.

He slowly approached her, crouching down before her, and peering up into her red face. Her expression was troubled, clearly, but she wasn't crying. She was probably tired of that.

He wanted to know what happened to her to make her like this.

And just like that, Nari spent practically no time of the day with Taehyung at all.


written on 17.06.03. | posted on 17.09.11.

original note: JIMIN BIAS-WRECKED ME. HOW DARE HE DROP "WDTA PT.2" SLAYING SELENA'S VOCALS BETTER THAN SELENA HERSELF

on another note! i will from now on be updating here every saturday (maybe). the next ten or so chapters are already up on wattpad, and you're welcome to read it there, but you'd just be spoiling yourself for the future chapters posted here.

lol but it's your life so i'm not going to stop you

and if you're patient for all the chapters to come out, i'll post another story here before i do on WP so AFICS sees it first ;) we'll seeeee!