Part III : Dara's Room

Goodnight, Summer!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

_______

I wake up late this morning. By the time I reach the patio, everyone has finished breakfast. Eli, Nik, Louis and Dara are gone. It’s really bothering me how I looked for Dara immediately after noticing there are people sitting at the patio. I secretly hoped it’d be Dara. Lexa and Giovanni are sitting quietly, finishing up their coffee. 

 

“Good mornimg!” Giovanni smiled. Lexa also smiled gently at me, “Had a good sleep?” she asked. I nod my head and sit across them. There are only left two pieces of croissants and butter on the table. 

 

“The boys have big appetite.” Lexa said. 

 

“That’s good. Uncle Do hates it when people don’t finish their food.” 

 

Giovanni’s tilted smile reminds me of how dumb I was for thinking about ing him last night when I was drunk. But yes, he’s definitely my type and the kind of guy I’d like to lose my ity to. 

 

“The others have gone to the beach.” Lexa said as she realized my eyes are watching every corner of the place. 

 

“Oh—“ I muttered.

 

We left for the beach twenty minutes after having small talks at the dining table. I’ve changed into my bathing suit, no, actually this was Jiyoon’s. I stole it from her drawer and made her believe she’s lost it somewhere. But I think she knew it was me. Jiyoon always has good sense of fashion. She’s very strict about her appearance therefore I think this bathing suit is looking fine. I don’t wanna embarrass myself in front of these people. I already embarrassed myself in front of Giovanni last night when he realized I’d never been drunk before. 

 

When Lexa said ‘the others’ I thought everyone would be here, but we’re missing one person. There’s no Dara. Only the boys. Giovanni quickly jumped into the volley game. Lexa decided to just chill and watch them play. 

 

But she said See you at the beach tomorrow?

 

“It’s really nice here. You’re very lucky.” Lexa murmured as we both are seated on the top of the pink sheet she brought. 

 

“Thanks. Trust me, though, if you’ve lived here long enough you’d find this boring.” 

 

“I know. I said you’re lucky. I didn’t say I envy you.” then she chuckled. She’s really nice and easy to talk to, not looking uptight and all pouts like Dara was. 

 

“Where is Dara?” I finally popped up the question.

 

Lexa shakes her head, “She said she was going to go to the grocery store but hasn’t been back since.” 

“Is she lost or something? she didn’t call?”

 

“Eli broke her phone. But Dara is a smart person. She would tell us if something happens.” 

 

“You sure?” 

 

Lexa frowns, “You’ve got a thing for her— no way!” 

 

“What? No. I’m not— I’m into guys.” I said quickly, snapping whatever idea it is she started planting in her head. 

 

Lexa laughed. “You’re still so young. You can’t determine what you like now, not before you really feel or try it. Trust me, attraction, orientation, interest, goals, they differ from time to time. You might feel like putting a inside you today but tomorrow you’d want to feel a woman’s mouth grinding your womanhood. You never know. Life’s a mystery.” 

 

“Well what about you? What do you like?”

 

Lexa tilts her head and stares at me sternly, “I like now. I’ve liked them since I could remember but I’m not saying I wouldn’t like in the future. Like I said, it’s a mystery—“

 

“I’m not—“

 

“Nothing is really bad though, Chaerin. Men, women. As long as you are happy.”  

 

I can’t believe a stranger just gave me a lecture about ual orientation. She’s not completely wrong though. But I like guys. I’ve kissed boys and I liked it. I can’t imagine myself kissing another girl. What would it feel like? 

Two hours have gone by and there’s no sign of Dara’s appearance. Lexa asked Giovanni to look for her downtown. I wanted to offer the help but I didn’t want Lexa to misunderstand my kindness for fondness. Giovanni took my bike to go find Dara. 

 

“We’re missing one bike.” I said after counting our bikes. 

 

“Dara rode them this morning to go to the store.” Lexa replied. 

 

She can ride a bike. That’s just weird and incredibly annoying how she lied to me yesterday. Does she think playing twisted mind with a seventeen years old girl is fun? She’d done nothing but confusing me since day one. The thoughts of her have manifested in my mind, I can’t get rid of her face now. I’m slightly worried that she’s gone. 

 

“I wouldn’t worry. She probably stop by a beach nearby and hook up with a beach guard or something. She’s an adult!” Eli cried. He said as he turned away.

 

“Lunch time!” Uncle Do yelled out in his funny English accent from the patio. 

 

We all sit at the dining table. Uncle Do had prepared a traditional Korean meal today. A kimchi stew, Korean styled barbecued beef, vegetable pancakes, and of course, the steamy chewy rice, “I don’t understand how you guys can cook rice so perfectly.” Nik commented. 

“It’s really good, Uncle Do.” Louis raise his thumb up at Uncle Do who’s back at the kitchen washing the cooking stool. He just grinned showing all his teeth. “Good good!” he murmurs. 

 

“She’s probably just out and about. You know how she likes to be alone, right?” Eli said.

 

Agitated, Lexa scowled at the yellow haired man, “Except this time she doesn’t have a phone with her.” Lexa replied.

 

“Why do you hate her so much?” I ask without sounding so serious. 

 

Eli smirked, “I don’t hate her. I just can’t stand her.” 

 

“Shut up, Eli. Move on already!” Lexa yelled at him.

 

Move on? So I was right. They were a couple before. They must’ve a nasty break up, otherwise Eli wouldn’t be so mad and irritated by everything Dara does. But I know he does that because he cares. I see the way his eyes flinch and how he kept stealing glance at the entering door, waiting for either Giovanni or Dara to show up. He’s worried too. 

 

The sun is almost down and neither Giovanni or Dara had showed up. But there was a text from Giovanni saying that he found Dara and they were going to spend time away downtown and will be back at night. 

 

Don’t wait up! - the text says.

 

We decided to spend time inside the guest house, playing poker and drinking wine. I refuse to drink. I think I’ve had enough last night, I should probably get sober tonight. I also don’t want to look all pale and drunk when Dara gets home for a reason I can’t seem to know. I wonder what they’re doing out there. Are they having fun at the bar downtown? Are they drunk? Did Giovanni volunteer to look for her because he has feeling for her too? Why am I having this inexplicable rage inside me thinking about the two of them together? Do I really want Giovanni that bad and jealous at Dara? Or am I just jealous at the idea of how easy it is for adults to hook up with anyone and how very possible and sensible it is if Dara decided tonight she wanted to Giovanni? 

 

“So, tell me how you feel hanging out with us, Chaerin?” Nik asked.

 

“I really enjoy it. You guys are fun.”

 

“We’re more fun than kids your age, huh?”

 

“Sort of—“ 

 

“Why don’t you invite some of your friends over tomorrow and have a game at the beach with us? It’ll be fun, right?” Nik looks at Eli for approval. 

Eli just shrugged. “It’s fine by me.”

 

“I don’t have any friends left. They’ve all gone abroad. I’m left here alone.” 

 

“You don’t have much friends. huh?” Nik said. “So your parents just leave you out here alone? Don’t you think it’s a bit dangerous? What if we’re bad guys?” 

 

“There’s no way. My dad usually did background checks before renting out the guest house. He likes to be cautious.” 

 

“Background check?”

 

“Uh, yeah. He used to work for the military, an intelligence officer.”

 

Everyone is suddenly in awe. They’re all silent. “You’re kidding, right?” Louis muttered.

I shake my head, “Why would I kid about it?” now I feel a bit superior after blurting out that one fact.

We talked and had fun. We all fell asleep on the couch in the living room. When I woke up, it’s about time for sunrise. Everyone has passed out and deeply in sleep. No o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter