Part I : Summer's Here

Goodnight, Summer!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

_______

 

It was summer. A beloved season by many. Long sunny holiday every student always longed for. Children and teenagers start running out of the school gate as soon as the bell rings, for a moment forgetting that soon they’d come back to the dull place and repeat the same routine again when summer ends. Holiday camps are filled. Beaches are cramped. Some people are wealthy and privileged enough to spend their holiday out of the country, to Europe, Asia, even Africa. Yes, one of my closest friends just told us their family were planning to fly out of the country, away to Africa, to the Safari, to breathe different air, to feed the animals, to see the world. I envy her sometimes, especially at times like this, during Summer, this summer. 

 

I get off the bus and take one last moment to turn around and wave goodbye to Aubrey, my new Caucasian friend, the exchange student from Australia who became my good pal instantly after being scolded by our music teacher a few weeks ago. We’re not gonna see each other again after this. When summer ends, exchange student goes back to their home country. We usually hang out with them during summer, going to the beaches, do road trips, build a tent and watch sunset at the top of the hill, hookups with college boys. But not this summer. This summer is dull, horrendous, and super hot. I could already the sore at the back of my neck, which is going to worsen as day goes by. It’s irritating. I hate getting tanned. Perhaps they’re right about how Asian are afraid of the sun. I’ve known some Asian who’d love to spray their pale and frail skins with suntan and spend the whole day exposing themselves under the sun, but not me. I’d rather stay under shades, protecting my perfectly healthy skin from hideous sunburn. 

 

“Here you are!” My mom cried out as soon as she set her eyes on me, her skinny -not so bright- daughter. Despite all the mischief and delinquency I’ve committed these past weeks, she still would consider me as her favorite daughter or all my siblings call by ‘the golden one’. 

I walk lazily toward those crowd. My mom in her summer dress, a white see through dress with roses pattern, barefoot as usual. Her golden blonde hair is tied making up a bun at the top of her head. She’s smoking Marlboro. She promised to stop years ago but had failed miserably. 

She put her arms around me as soon as she reached me. “How was school today?” she asked.

 

I shrug. Like I always do every time anyone asks me about school or other boring stuffs. 

 

“All my friends are gone, mom, and I’m stuck here.” I sigh. I’ve given up on arguing. I don’t even bother anymore. I hate summer. I wish it will end sooner. I wish it will end with someone getting hurt, someone out of those three hateful peasants, my siblings. 

 

Jiyong, Jiyoon, and the worst, Seunghyun. My brothers and sister. Yep, I’m the youngest out of four. They’re laughing about something but I’m sure it’s me they’re whispering and mocking about as they load up the cab with suitcases. I see Jiyoon is wearing her favorite bikini, it’s spot on. She did it on purpose for the boys to see. She looks at me with a smirk on her face, “How was your day going, Chae?” she asked. I know she did that just to annoy me and remind me of the fact that I hate school and how bad I am at it. 

 

“Can you change his mind?” I look up at my mom and pleaded. She gives me an uneasy look. A look every loving mother will give to her beloved child she’s going to left behind. I know she feels guilty for not standing up for me this time but I also know well I’ve crossed the line this time and would not be forgiven without given a proper punishment like this time. 

She shakes her head and places her hands on my tiny chubby cheeks. “You know I’ve tried right, sweetheart? But your dad is right. And this is far better than sending you away to those boring camps, or you’d prefer that?” 

 

I quickly shake my head and give a ‘no’ face. I glance at my dad who’s talking on the phone with someone about business. Still, business can’t be abandoned even during holiday. 

I take a look once again at my siblings. They seem bloody happy and hyped. They started talking about how they’re going to do bungee jump and deciding who’s going to chicken out first and pee on their pants. Despite the hate I have for them, I kinda envy them now. I wanna do bungee jump. I wanna go to the tropical island. I wanna have a dance with local girls and befriend them. I wanna see the world like my friends. What am I gonna tell her when summer ends? That I’ve been having splendid time guarding the family’s guest house? 

 

“I wanna go with you guys!” I begged my mom once again. 

 

“You’re not going anywhere!” Dad suddenly appears in front of me, his tall figure is overshadowing me, blocking the sun. I look at his firmed expression. He’s not going to let me get away with my crime. He was pretty clear. Sometimes I wish my dad is a westerner. I always think they are are the best kind of dads. They love their daughters the most and will not give strict punishment when they make a mistake. But things are the opposites. My mom is an Irish English descent but her grandad was Italian. She has blonde hair, ivory eyes and perfect cheekbones.

I take up most my dad’s features, except the ivory eyes mom inherited me—which is weird, not many Asian mix babies have colored eyes—and the rest of it is just chubby cheeks, like dad.

 

Contrast to the appearance of my brothers and sister. They look like mom a lot. Jiyong has mom’s curly hair, brownish hair, light brown eyes, skinny like me and mom. Jiyoon’s hair is the same color of mine, brown but darker than Jiyong’s. She doesn’t have mom’s eyes but she gets her perfect cheekbones and body curves, which I always think it’s what drawing men’s attention. Seunghyun, the oldest. He is a perfect balance of mom and dad’s features. Light brown curly hair, black firm eyes, sharp nose, small lips, mom’s cheekbones. He’s tall and strong like dad and pretty like mom. He is almost what my dad looked like when he was young, my mom said. And yes, he’s the prettiest of all. Girls have crushes on him, that’s an old fact. 

 

“You better have reflected on what you did and changed yourself into a better person, Chaerin Lee. Everything you did you thought was right will turn out wrong when you realize it and I hope you do and will realize it and decide to apologize to that boy—“

 

“I didn’t—“ 

 

“I don’t like to be cut off when I’m talking.” Dad puts his forefinger up to his mouth asking me to shut it. I just bow my head, feeling intimidated. 

 

“Listen, this isn’t a punishment. This is a big responsibility I’m giving you. Our guests are going to come tonight around five. I’ve left you notes and emergency contacts in case there’s trouble. And I hope there wouldn’t be trouble. This is all on your hands now. Can I trust you?” he asks firmly, putting his hand on one of my shoulders. 

 

“Yes, dad. You’ve asked that last night.” 

 

“And I’m asking you again, there’s nothing wrong with reassurance.” he says this time with a gentler tone. 

I see my siblings are already inside the cab, they’re all looking at me through the windows, all with the same smirks. I clench my fist. I really wanna punch them all one by one. 

 

“I will behave and I will do accordingly to your notes. I will report twice a day in the morning and in the evening. I will not bother the guests and will welcome them with a friendly attitude.”

 

“Good girl—“ he pats my head. 

 

“Will you bring me souvenirs when you’re back?” I ask.

 

He nods and smiles, “Let your mom do that for you, okay?”

 

He then walks away and get into the cab. Mom hugs me one last time and give me kisses I didn’t ask for but happy to have it. She looks like she’s about to cry but smiles anyway. “I’ll call you when we get there, okay? I love you, sweetheart.” she said before finally walking away from m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter