Meeting the Client

Stupid Cupid! (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myungsoo figured there was no harm in heeding Howon's advice to indulge in the human realm a little while on his business trip. The streets of Seoul were not exactly what one would call clean, yet there seemed to be a sort of beauty to the messiness and bustling nature of the city.

 

The initial disdain towards human had dissipated only slightly when Myungsoo found out that their technological innovations had remarkable similarities to the special tools he had back in heaven. That morning before they departed for some exploration around the city, the cupid had found his now-very-sobre-host reading on a device known as the Kindle, an electronic tablet that allowed him to read on a screen that bore strong resemblance to actual paper. The device had intrigued him greatly, because it functioned similarly to the Case File that cupids had with them on missions. Except that case files were actual pieces of paper with information that updated itself automatically either with new information from the cupid or headquarters in heaven, and a simple touch across the page would conceal the information by wiping the pages clean. Now that Myungsoo thought about it, invisibility and hiding seemed to be his kind's greatest power and charm.

 

Sungyeol proved himself to be an extremely welcoming and also gullible host, seeing that he was a bit too enthusiastic in providing Myungsoo everything he needed. He was extremely skeptical of the single hand-held bad that Myungsoo had brought with him, and had insisted that Myungsoo would need more clothes and supplies if he were to stay in the city and work on his friends' case. Myungsoo smiled at his host's goodwill in an attempt that to mask the sympathy that he was slowly having for the human. If only he knew our luggage can hold more than it looks, he thought as Sungyeol pulled him into another fashion store. Yet the cupid did not protest as Sungyeol blabbered on about how his wardrobe needed more colour beyond the monochrome scale. 

 

As much as he enjoyed his morning out with his energetic host, Myungsoo did not forget where this enthusiasm stemmed from - Sungyeol's desperation for his friends to patch up. Humans were easy to understand that way - a favour for a favour, an eye for an eye. Everything was a manifestation of their obsession with justice and fairness, and nobody seemed to bother with altruism anymore. Myungsoo had processed way too many complaints from wishing wells, where disgruntled wives would hope for their husbands to give her as much attention as she had for him, or jealous boyfriends who hoped that their popular girlfriends would return an equally nice gift on Valentine's day. The list could go on and on, but Myungsoo was not going to let such thoughts dampen his mood. It was an important day after all. 

 

The day he met one of the clients. 

 

Nam Woohyun seemed a little displeased that his friend had brought company for the lunch meeting, but not entirely surprised. The corners of his lips twitched ever so slightly, but he was quick to hide his hard expression with a forced smile. Myungsoo could detect an obvious but not overly drastic tremor when they shook each other's hands. When all three of them settled down, Woohyun's eyes quickly darted to his friend, avoiding Myungsoo's gaze at all cost. 

 

"This is the love consultant that I was telling you about! Kim Myungsoo-sshi. He's been in practice for six years," Sungyeol introduced Myungsoo with a smile. Woohyun did not look at the cupid, and merely returned Sungyeol's words with a curt nod. Myungsoo thought Woohyun seemed visibly tensed ever since he sat down, but reserved the comment for himself. 

 

"Is that like an extended branch of psychology?" 

 

It took Myungsoo a moment to realise the question was directed at him, because Woohyun had been looking at Sungyeol when he spoke. The man's fingers were wrapped tightly around his glass of water, and his feet were tapping noiselessly below the table in his restlessness. Myungsoo made a mental note to update Woohyun's case file once he returned to the house. 

 

"Yes," Myungsoo lied. This explanation had managed to shut Daeyeol up, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter