Reunion

Reunion

Reunion

 

Nearly 10 years from the day of November 18th, 2016, right on time, Song Haena received a Facebook notification about an impending high school reunion. Nine of them on that cold autumn night, watching their football team lose again, had decided they never wanted to lose touch with one another. They’d been the closest of friends then: now, not so much.

 

Some of it was perfectly natural—college, moving across the country, meeting others. Some of it had come before high school even ended, brought upon by misunderstandings never soothed, bitter rumors and remarks.

 

It would be an interesting night, she thought as she stepped out of the car. It was a good thing she’d happened to be in the area for the reunion, as much as she traveled. That’s what she would say to the others if they asked. But of course, she had arranged herself to be in the city when the time came. Maybe some of the others had, until the Facebook notification, but Haena never forgot about the reunion.

 

Her heels clicked neatly on the pavement as she shut the sleek black door and began her walk to the door of the upscale room they had reserved for the occasion. She nodded at Minseok, the chauffeur—he would stay, waiting. Haena didn’t plan to stay long, for she had other things to attend to, which involved a very rich man, documents proving his governmental corruption, and the alias she would need to take on for that assignment.

 

She was alone on the path, fashionably late. The others might believe she would not come at all, for in high school she was the timeliest of them all. And she had long stopped using Facebook to communicate, preferring only to ghost around now and then. Things changed.

 

Light was spilling out under the door; she could hear voices echoing within. Without hesitation, Haena knocked firmly once and then entered. The sound of conversation and laughter surrounded her at once, and she scanned the room’s familiar occupants swiftly, noting changes and things that had not changed.

 

The room had quieted quickly upon her entrance. “Haena!” a voice shrieked—that was definitely something that had not changed—and Baekhyun came bounding over. In an instant, the others had converged on her, and she was treated to a giant group hug, just like the one they had shared so many years ago.

 

The boys fell back, and she got a better look at them all as they exchanged greetings. “Hey, Baekhyun. Junmyeon, good to see you again.” And she said hello to each of them in turn, not failing to notice their mouths open, eyes blinking, second looks.

 

It was understandable. After all, she had long, light ash hair right now, the kind that looked silver in a certain light. She was sporting a full face of makeup, had on a slim black dress. Wearing stilettos and carrying an expensive leather bag on her arm. She was not the same girl they had known, the one who’d worn her brother’s t-shirts and sneakers and who had hardly a care for her appearance.

 

The same could not be said of the others. Chanyeol had lost some weight, to be sure, and Yixing had gained some. But Jongin still had that feathery brown hair and grace that had made girls crazy for him. Was still with the same girl he had dated in college; they were even engaged now. Sehun was still in his skinny jeans and ripped shirts, as beautiful as ever—and a glance at his scarred arms told Haena that he had retained his destructive habits, as well as the line of bad girls he dated one after another. He had his hand around one’s waist right now. Kyungsoo, slender and even more handsome than before, and curly haired Jongdae was carrying a book under his arm like he always did. He would always be that way, Haena thought fondly.

 

There were more than just the original nine: in the following years they’d added some new guys. It was nice to see everyone again, and even nicer that he hadn’t shown up. That would have been a messy situation.

 

“We thought you weren’t going to come,” Jongin said breathlessly to her as they embraced.

 

“How could I forget?” Haena replied. “It’s been so long.” And it truly had been.

 

The next half hour passed in a blur. It was a pleasant affair, warmed by the fire in the corner, several cozy couches, and glasses of circulating champagne. Haena caught up with them all, told them about what she was doing. How she was an investment banker in the heart of New York, doing well for herself and living comfortably. All lies, of course.

 

“Still not dating,” Sehun teased, and they all laughed. Haena had met some men over the years, but none of them had met her high standards, so Sehun was currently correct. Plus, dating really just didn’t work with her job, so Haena had cut off plenty of guys without warning when duty called. In the end she had just stopped trying.

 

Then the time was up. Haena stood up and embraced them all a final time, promising to keep in touch, though she could never keep that promise. A walk to the door, open and close, and then she was alone once again in the chill night. She sighed—the air was so fresh—and started on her way.

 

Haena climbed into the car and shut the door. Minseok started the engine immediately, and the car moved silently out of the lot and onto the main road. Haena slipped off her heels at once, relishing the relief, and then began to change swiftly and with practiced motions. In moments, she was dressed in a deep blue evening gown, silver heels, and a silver handbag. Her makeup she altered with a few expert , adding a beauty mark to her cheek and brushing on red lipstick.

 

“How was the reunion, ma’am?”

 

“Perfectly fine. Thank you for asking, Minseok. Though I’m afraid less savory events await us.”

 

“As usual.”

 

“Yes,” Haena chuckled, as she placed a black wig on her head and arranged it just so. “As usual.”

 

Song Haena was gone, and if she had gone back to the reunion now not a single one of her old friends would have recognized her. Kim Soojung looked out the window, watching the cars flash by, as her manorial destination loomed ahead. There was much work to do tonight.