Chapter 3

Test Me

 “What do you mean you already rented it out?” Rei Jang whined, falling open slightly as she stood in front of her now former landlady.

“I’m sorry dear. You gave me that note and the key so I figured you wouldn’t be returning.” The small elderly woman frowned, a sympathetic expression lingered on her face. 

“You don’t have anything else available by chance?” Rei asked hoping that she would still have a chance. She was given a second chance at life, she didn’t want to fail already. 

It’s been three days since she was released from the hospital. Tae Won had booked her a room at a nearby hotel since she refused to stay at his place and it’s not like she has anywhere else to go. She no longer has friends, and she doesn’t have any family. She truly is alone. 

“No I don’t, yours was the last one. I truly am sorry. I hope you find something soon.” The landlady patted Rei Jang’s hands before turning on her heels and going back inside her house.

Lowering her head Rei Jang buried her face in her hands, tears stung her eyes as they flowed freely down her cheeks. What was she to do now? She had no money, no food, no clothes, no home, nothing. She truly was a failure. In her mind she cursed herself for leaving the alley and running into Tae Won. Her shoulders violently shaking as she silently sobs.

Tae Won stood there in fear and sorrow. He didn’t know whether to hold her, rub her back or just leave her be. He didn’t want to leave her alone but he wasn’t sure how she would handle physical touch. He was worried as to what she would do now. He couldn’t allow her to end back up on the streets but he wasn’t going to force her to stay with him.

“Come on, let’s at least get you something to eat and we can search online.” Tae Won said softly.

Rei nodded obediently and followed silently behind him, wiping away the tears from her cheeks. She knew she was indebted to Tae Won for saving her life despite what he said but she couldn’t burden him by living in his place as well. She had already inconvenienced him enough. He constantly was buying her food and ensuring she had a place to stay. Arriving at the nearby cafe the two were ushered to a small table in the back of the restaurant. Rei noticed the waiter was looking at her rather unsightly appearance, he probably thought she was some bum that Tae Won decided to feed before sending her back out onto the streets - which she feared he would do. After all everyone abandoned her eventually so it was only a matter of time before he did as well.

She was wearing one of Tae Won’t black oversized sweaters and old pair of black sweatpants - she was so thankful for the drawstring otherwise there’s no way these would stay up on her. Picking up the menu Tae Won browsed the various soup and sandwich combos. Following suite Rei settled on a turkey sandwich and a bowl of chicken noodle soup, Tae Won ordering a roast beef and swiss cheese panini and a bowl of cheddar broccoli soup. After ordering the waiter took the menus and scurried off to the kitchen to pass on the order onto the cook. 

Pulling out his phone Tae Won starts to look up apartments and studios for rent in the area. Deep down he wished that she would just agree to live with him but he would at least find somewhere close to his place. She did promise to stay in touch with him after she got out after all. That was the only thing he asked for as payment for saving her life, nothing more. Rei sat across from Tae Won nervously playing with the hem of the sweater as she watched his eyes dart from one apartment to another. She once again felt bad for him doing this for her. 

After what seemed like forever, the agonizing silence between the two of them eating away at Rei, the waiter returned with their order. Placing the food down in front of them the waiter asked if there was anything else he could get the two of you but Tae Won smiled politely at him and declined the offer. Tae Won had actually been unsuccessful in finding any available apartments or studios. Picking up the spoon Rei shoveled the contents of the bowl, inhaling the scent of the chicken and vegetables as the spoon makes its way closer to her nostrils, before shoving the food in . It had been ages since she had a decent meal. Yelping Rei quickly reaches for the nearby glass of water, gulping down the cool liquid as it soothes her now scorched tongue. Tae Won glanced up at her, quickly setting down his sandwich before grabbing some napkins for her. Extending his hand he watches her in concern. 

“Are you alright?” He asked as she gently took the napkins from him, dabbing off the soup that had escaped her lips and trickled down her chin. 

“ Yeah I’m okay.” Nodding she scooped another spoonful, this time blowing carefully on the hot liquid. She felt so embarrassed. She knew it was going to be hot, but she was so hungry. She felt like such a child, who was about to get scolded by their mother. But Tae Won never said a thing. Instead he smiled at her sweetly before going back to his half eaten sandwich. Rei’s cheeks became hot as she quickly averted her eyes, focusing only on the food in front of her.

When the two finished eating Tae Won stood up and made his way to the front counter to pay for their meal. Thanking the cashier he looked back in Rei Jang’s direction to see her slowly walking up beside him, she reminded him of a lost puppy - unsure of where to go or if she should stay but knowing full well she had nowhere else to go. She was quite shy and would avoid eye contact with him as much as possible. It was rather adorable to him but it also made his heart ache because he knew she was broken and he wanted nothing than to be the one to make her whole again, to make her smile. 

Back outside the two stood by one another as Tae Won inputted the directions for the hotel Rei was staying at into his phone’s GPS before they silently started walking, the only sound was the voice on his phone directing them which way to go through the phones speakers. Standing outside the hotel Tae Won turned off his GPS and shoved his phone in his pocket. His mind once again pleaded with her to say she’ll stay with him at his place. But he knew her answer even if she never said it out loud. He was a stranger to her still after all, despite saving her life and then caring for her in the hospital, despite announcing himself as her guardian. 

“Be sure to change your bandages again tonight and don’t stay up too late.” Tae Won said not looking at her but up at the hotel’s exterior. 

“I will.” She promised him that she would take care of herself. 

Shifting her attention to the front doors, fear started to sink in. She didn’t have a phone or any way to contact him if needed. She didn’t know when she would see him again. Why was she feeling this way? He wasn’t family, he wasn’t even exactly a friend. But he was all she had. Reaching the top of the stair she placed her hand on the door handle, stopping in her tracks as the thought hit her again. He was all she had. Even though he was still a stranger to her he made her feel safe. Like she wasn’t alone in the world. 

Whipping around she watched as he made his way down the street, the distance between them growing with each passing second. His tall, slender frame hunched over slightly as his head hung low. His hands tucked into his pockets, shielding them from the bite of the cold air. It was in that moment that Rei Jang had made up her mind, she knew what she wanted - where she wanted to belong. Racing down the stair she ran as fast as her body would allow her towards the figure dressed in all black as well, ensuring she didn’t trip along the way. 

“Tae Won! Stop!” Rei shouted at the top of her lungs. 

Whipping around at the sudden voice shouting his name like their life depended on it, which it did, he saw Rei running full speed in his direction. Surprise and happiness overcame him, a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. Stopping before him, she bent over, placing her hands on her knees, as she gasped for air. Her breath becoming visible against the darkness of night. Concerned washed over him immediately after, the doctor had told her not to do anything strenough for the next couple weeks so her body could recover. Gently gripping her shoulders to ensure she didn’t stumble or fall he could feel her small frame shaking under his fingertips. 

“Rei? Are you okay? Is something wrong?” Tae Won blurted out as his eyes scanned over her. His eyes never leaving her face as she straightened up, her breathing more even. 

For the first time since the two of them met Rei raised her head locking her eyes with his. She’d never fully seen the color of his eyes, light brown with hints of what looked like green and a yellowish-gold color. Taking a deep breath Rei’s lips parted to ask the question she had been wanting to ask all day.

“T-Tae Won, can I still stay with you?” 

He had not expected this. He was so certain she would never accept his offer. A million thoughts flooded his mind as he stood here speechless, he knew he had to answer her and fast before she changed her mind. Fear crept up into Rei Jang as she stood in front him watching the expressions that flickered across his face. She tried to read the look in his eyes but was unable to make out what he was thinking, so much for the eyes being the window to the soul. He was so unreadable. After what seemed like an eternity Tae Won finally spoke up.

“Is this really want you want? I don’t want you to feel pressured.”

Shaking her head Rei cut him off before he could say anything more, “I’m certain now that this is what I want.”

Smiling softly, utter happiness danced across his face, his eyes sparkled from the dim light being emitted by a nearby street lamp. Outstretching his hand towards her he watched as relief and understanding gleamed in her eyes as they shifted between his and his hand. Slipping her hand into his he gently curled his fingers around hers allowing them to rest on the top of her hand, his fully engulfing hers. The warmth from each others skin burned into the other but it was a soothing feeling. 

“Then let’s go home.”