Chapter 2

Test Me

 

   "Will you just sit still and not fight me on this?!" Tae Won plead, frustration seeping into his voice.

 

   "Look, I am more than capable of feeding myself,” Rei Jang snapped back as she snatched the spoon out of his hand.

 

   Straightening up, she comfortably positioned the spoon in her right hand before carefully pushing it into the bowl of rice; determined to prove him wrong. Sticking her tongue out slightly, she slowly lifted the spoon in an upwards motion - the action causing the bowl to tip over. Grains spilled out onto the tray; rice that once coated the spoon flung onto Tae Won's lap.

 

   Tossing the utensil down, she grunted loudly as Tae Won quietly cursed under his breath. Rising to his feet, he began brushing his hands over his clothes; small white specks falling onto the floor. Looking down, his eyes fell upon Rei. He felt as rage began coursing through his veins causing his cheeks to turn red; mind already set on demanding her to let him feed her. He quickly stopped in his tracks, however, when he noticed her demeanor.

 

   Head bent down, her pretty face was hidden by her long black hair. Despite the warmth radiating into the room, her small, gown-clad frame trembled in the oversized hospital bed. Tae Won bit his lip slightly; occasional sniffles sounding from the somber haired female.

 

   Sighing heavily, Tae Won relaxed his shoulders before sitting back down. He hated to see her cry. Even though he had just met her, this girl had a very strong effect on him. He couldn't stand to see her in pain or unhappy - whether it be slight or major. Come to think of it, Tae Won had never even seen her smile, but he did take note of the times her face occasionally lit up whenever he would attempt to make her feel better.

 

   He had no idea what this girl had faced in her past, but he could tell she was broken. This wasn't his first encounter with someone like her; he knew he couldn't fix her, only she could. There was something about her, however, that made him want to try. Usually, he'd step aside, but this time he wanted to help someone - and that ‘someone’ just so happened to be Rei Jang.

 

   Reaching over, Tae Won picked up the rice bowl - momentarily disposing the spilled grains into a spare napkin. Clearing his throat, the corners of his mouth twisted upwards as he dipped the spoon back into the bowl. Extending his hand out, he gently pressed the utensil to her lips, “Let's try this again, shall we?”

 

   Slowly, she lifted her head, eyes locking on his hand that held out the silver spoon. Rei really did test his patience, but it was never meant to anger him. No one had ever cared about her like Tae Won, so she wasn't sure how to react. This type of treatment - the way he smiled and worried - was all new to her. It was obvious when he began feeling frustrated, but he never acted out on his anger, nor did he let it show. He would just smile at her and let her do things her way.

 

   Despite Tae Won’s genuine patience, Rei continued to fear that he was only treating her kindly because he felt bad for her. In her mind, she believed that he viewed her as a weak and fragile being. Eventually, Tae Won came to realize this and made it a sort of mission to provide Rei with clarity and reassurance, but it wasn't easy convincing her.

 

   Despite wanting to invest all of her trust within him, she couldn't bring herself to do so - not yet. Sure, she could tell he was genuine and really wanted to help her, but it was difficult for her to open up with someone. Always had been and she feared it would always be like that.

 

   Nodding, she reached her hand out and gently took the spoon from his hand. He smiled at her and placed his hand that once held the spoon around the bowl, ensuring its security. Carefully, she buried the spoon once more into the bowl of rice.

Rei gnawed on her lower lip as she raised the spoon with a semi-shaky hand; swallowing hard

in anticipation, hoping to avoid the previous disaster.

 

   Slowly raising the spoon upwards, Rei successfully managed to scoop a decent-sized spoonful of rice. Pleased with herself, she brought the food to , carefully putting the spoon inside. Savoring the taste and texture of the rice, she slowly chewed each grain before swallowing. Peering up, she noticed Tae Won smiling down upon her; pleased with her accomplishment. His gaze caused her face to heat up; her head quickly craning downwards, so her line of vision met the rice bowl rather than his eyes.

 

   His smile always made her heart flutter - and he only ever smiled for her.

 

   It had been almost two weeks since that night. She was unconscious the first four days then spent the rest of her time regaining her strength. It wasn't until recently that she had been able to eat solid foods - let alone feed herself. This caused her to feel so helpless and terrible towards Tae Won who had to care for the 27 year-old like she was a toddler. He even brought her some of his clothes for her to wear so she would feel more comfortable and wouldn't have to continue wearing that ugly hospital gown. Of course they were way too big for her, but she welcomed the feel of the cotton on her skin; the warmth of the plaid fleece pants and the scent - his scent - that wafted off the material with each movement.

 

   They made her feel alive, a feeling she hadn't felt in over a year.

 

   She was a lot worse off than she realized. The doctor told her she was malnourished resulting in her being extremely underweight for someone her height and age. For the first week, she was fed through a tube and was forbidden to move around a lot. She had to have help showering and using the restroom - acts that were so humiliating. They had put her left arm in a sling so she wouldn't be able to use it as to not open her wound.

 

   Even though she was able to feed herself, she knew it would take her hours to continue on like this, and she personally didn't want to eat cold food. So, she swallowed her pride and gently slid the spoon back to Tae Won. Shocked, he looked down at the spoon and up to her.

 

   “Are you going to let me take care of you now?”

 

   Not making eye contact with him, she nodded. The two remained silent as she allowed Tae Won to finish feeding her and once she was done, gently wipe and take the tray of food to the nearby dresser so the nurse could dispose of it later. Rei Jang leaned back, relishing the feeling of having a full stomach as Tae Won returned to his place in the recliner. She couldn't understand how he managed to sit, and even sleep, in that chair for almost two weeks - never once complaining about being uncomfortable.

 

   To be honest, she still didn't understand why he was doing all of this for her. He didn't owe her anything, he wasn't indebted to her. If anything she was indebted to him for saving her life.

 

   Turning her head, she admired the window-framed sunset; kneading the quilted blanket in between her fingers.

Tae Won followed her gaze and watched the setting ball of fire with her.

 

   He'd like to do this with her for real one day. Just the two of them, nestled on a blanket with her in his arms. She'd lean back against him and he'd hold her tighter as the two of them watch the sun sink below the horizon. As night fell over them, the two would sit there, gazing up at the sky as they admired all of the stars that filled the sky.

 

   Just as the sun disappeared out of sight, a nurse walked in to do her nightly check on Rei Jang; snapping Tae Won out of his thoughts. Why was he even thinking these things? He just met this girl, let alone knew nothing about her other than her name. There's no way he could have feelings for her.

 

   Right?

 

   Little did he know, Rei Jang had also been asking herself the same exact question for a couple of days now. However, neither one of them would admit the truth to themselves.

 

   Tae Won shook the thought from his mind as he straightened up and closely watched the nurse check on her. He never trusted the medical staff from the moment he brought her here. Then again, his bias could've stemmed from the preventable death of his parents. Doctors had performed a few tests on them, prescribed them some medication, and sent them on their way. Little did the doctor realize they both had a fatal case of pneumonia which resulted in both of his parents’ untimely deaths. He had to bury his mother and father all due to the medical staff being “too busy” with supposed sicklier patients.

 

   Tae Won was advised to file a lawsuit, but he decided against it. It wasn't money or any other sort of compensation he desired;  he just wanted his parents back, but they'd never return. Their deaths were something he'd never accept.

 

   After taking a few notes, the nurse smiled at the frail female before hanging the chart at the end of her bed.

 

   “You seem to be making a faster recovery than we anticipated. You've got a strong will and it must also be thanks to this young man. You'll get to go home before you know it.”

 

   Both Rei Jang and Tae Won cringed at the “strong will” remark. There's just some things people like Rei were tired of hearing, and that was one of them. She didn't exactly have a strong will to live. If she had, she never would've ended up here. At the same time, she never would've met Tae Won, either.

 

   Fate wasn't something she believed in, but this incident made her question everything she had ever believed.

 

   There was just one issue: She didn't have a place to go home to. What little belongings she had she placed in a nearby storage unit that she paid a couple months in advance for until the time came when the storage unit’s owner would contact her aunt she wasn't even close to, like she instructed him to do, to come collect her belongings and do with them what she wished. Rei even went as far as informing her landlady that she would be leaving at the end of this month; returning the apartment key.

 

   Although he had never asked, Tae Won had wondered if she was homeless.

 

   Does she have a home to go to? Does she really not have a friend or relative to go to in time of need? Surely she must have a place to go. Then again, she did try to end her life, so she might've given that all up. After all, she didn't think she'd still be alive.

 

   These thoughts swarmed in his head like angry bees attacking his brain. Sighing, he slouched down in the recliner; his stomach dropping.  If it hadn't been for him, her plan would have succeeded. Momentarily he squeezed his eyes shut; forcing the horrible idea of her not breathing out of his mind.

 

   Tae Won watched as the nurse left, leaving the two alone in deafening silence. Swallowing hard, Tae Won, avoiding all eye contact, softly asked, “Once you're out of here, do you have somewhere to stay?”

 

   Rei Jang stiffened. She didn't think he would ever ask her that and to be honest, she wasn't sure whether to lie or tell him the truth. After a moment, she cleared - deciding it'd be best to tell him the truth.

 

   Shaking her head, she softly answered him, “No, I don't. I gave up my apartment just before --- that night. And what little belongings I have are in a storage unit nearby my old apartment.”

 

   “So where will you go when you’re discharged?” Tae Won asked, frowning slightly.

 

   His mind began running a mile a minute. There was no way he was going to let her end up on the streets; she's gone through enough, but what could he do? His friends were busy with their own lives and his family, well, he has none.

 

   Contemplating for a moment, he nodded his head; knowing there was only one option.

 

   He already knew how she would react and what she would say, but he wasn't going to take no for an answer. He swore he would take care of her no matter what the moment she agreed to him announcing himself as her guardian.

 

   Clearing his throat, he looked the dark haired female in the eyes before stating, “I have an idea. I have an extra room in my apartment. It's small, but homey and surprisingly spacious. Lots of privacy, too.”

 

   Anxiously, he shifted in his seat as he continued, “I know we're still strangers, but I promise you I'm harmless and would continue to take care of you and provide for you like a guardian does. When you're healed and ready, I can help you look for work and after awhile, if you'd like, a place of your own. I'll take care of everything so you don't have to worry about payments or anything of that nature. All I ask is that you remain by my side, be my friend, and take care of yourself.”

 

   Suddenly, he felt flustered as his face tinged a bright red, “What I'm trying to say is: Would you like to live with me?”

 

   Rei Jang's mind was spinning. Did he really just ask her that?! She wasn't sure what to say, she couldn't even get her thoughts in line. What was she supposed to do? Here, this boy, was offering her a place to live - a home - without wanting anything in return other than her friendship, safety, and well being.

 

   Does she try to get her apartment back and risk ending up on the streets, or does she take up this boys offer and not have to worry about a thing? This stranger who not only saved her life, but also became her guardian, protected her, nursed her back to health.

 

   Most people would say the choice is easy, but for Rei Jang it wasn't. She knew she had to make a decision; he was waiting for her answer.

 

   Chewing on her bottom lip, she looked back at him. Staring into his deep brown eyes, she took a shaky breath, “I choose to...”




 

To be continued.