Day 1

Against The Current
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italics for English anything else spoken is in Korean.

In this story, you're going to see the girls' personalities, which are very different. 

Chloe---

I groan as I roll over onto the floor. I'm still not used to sleeping on a bed mat. We've been in our new dorm/apartment for about a week now adjusting to life in Korea. Jay wanted us to have a few days to assimilate into the Korean lifestyle before we started recording for the new album. Today was the day we started working on the project officially with AOMG. Although, technically we have been writing and composing these songs for over a year now.

I glance at the alarm clock because I was definitely up before my alarm went off. 

3:58 A.M.

Hm. Two minutes to myself. I stand up and head to the on-suite half bath to my bedroom. The twins took the bigger bedroom, and I took the smaller one with a smaller bathroom so that we all wouldn't be cramped in the larger bathroom every day trying to get ready. It's a similar setup to what we had back home. Although we all shared a large room, I took the on suite bathroom and the twins used the large bathroom beside out room.

I wash up and go through my daily routine of makeup and hair since we aren't doing anything other than recording today. I pull up my skinny jeans, hopping up and down before I shut off my alarm that's been going off for about eight minutes now. Standing in just a bra and jeans I contemplate what shirt I want to wear. 

Sweater? Sweatshirt? T-shirt? Blouse? 

We're just recording, but I want to look cute for the daily vlog, too. I end up pulling on a cropped, pastel sweater, then stuffed my feet into my worn Addidas tennis shoes. 

I run my fingers through my dark hair as I closed my bedroom door behind me. I can hear Bailey and Blair shuffling around in their room beside me, probably grumbling about the alarm earlier. I knock on their door as I pass by.

"I'm making breakfast, be ready in twenty," I say, using Hangul instead of English because we'll have to use Hangul more often now that we live in Seoul.

"Mm-Kay !" 

My feet pad lightly against the linoleum flooring in the kitchen as I scan through the pantry for breakfast. Making an executive decision of oatmeal and berries, knowing that Blair would complain about my 'rabbit' food. If she had her way, we'd eat nothing but junk food.

It was 4:30 by the time we were packed and ready to head to the studio. 

*Knock knock knock* Bailey goes to answer the door.

"Ah, Minseok-Oppa." Bailey bows a greeting, letting him enter. 

"Girls, it's time to go, ready?" We grab our bags and follow him out the door. We packed into the back of the Suburban behind the other managers while Minseok took the driver's seat. It was a thirty-minute drive to the company building. We shared brief conversations with the other managers, not quite used to being managed by others and not ourselves.

We were quickly hurried into the building and led down several hallways into a small recording room. 

"This is where you will work on all of your albums unless told otherwise. It's currently the only recording studio that isn't claimed by other artists. Jay will pop in every now and then to check on your progress, and we will go in shifts of sitting in and monitoring you for the first few weeks. Once you're more comfortable with the building we probably won't hang around as much." Seoljin explained as the other managers exited at their dismissal. He took a seat in the back corner of the cramped room. 

This is definitely a huge change to recording our music. We used to do it in our basement, but now all of our equipment is packed and being shipped here, and won't be in until next week. Thankfully, we were able to send our instruments ahead of us so that they could be placed in our assigned recording studio. We stood for a moment, unsure of what to do next.

"So... Uh... What song do we start with?" I ask turning to Bailey who has been working on lyrics for the past week. She shuffled through her duffle bag and pulled out a notebook, tossing it to me. I flip through it to the bookmarked pages.

"School or demons?" I say as I take the producer's seat. Flipping a couple switches so the lights in the booth . My drum set was stuffed in the farthest corner, a keyboard up against the wall, just under the window, and two electric guitars, a bass, and an acoustic were hung up on the wall above their amps.Maybe six square feet were available for moving in.

"Demons," Blair says as she looks at the lyrics over my shoulder. "I want to rewrite some stuff for School .... Like the title." I nod and begin working the board as Bailey and Blair sing through the lyrics, marking down notes on the lyrics. After two hours, we had a semblance of what we wanted the song to sound like. I nod to Minseok that we were ready to start rehearsing. 

We had decided long ago to always rehearse twenty times before we recorded anything. It just saved some much time for us.

"No, I don't like that chord there," I say cutting off the symbols. Bailey nods and makes a note on her page, then strums a different key. I shake my head through several notes until she hits a B sharp. I pause, then shrug. We start off the chorus again in A flat major. We spent the rest of the day working through chords and rhythms until we had the basics down. 

"Yeah, two more studio sessions and it'll be solid," I say as we pack up. We had recorded the last session to hear our progress. "Maybe we should add..." I b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter