Confrontation

Murder by Moonlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20.

 

 

Oh Sehun’s words left behind a spine-chilling implication with them. Waiting in the campus library for the desired textbook at the front desk, I could not dispel the words; his dark tone and the ominous sensation that had nested in my gut since made me grow restless, agitated, anything but how hopeful I’d felt merely hours ago at the thought of going out leisure shopping.

And yet the more I languished in his words, the more I realised if ever there was a time to confront the situation, it was now. I was determined to be unfazed. Determined to be the one poking and prodding for a change, because I was much too often left in the dark.

Thus, the moment I got hold of the textbook, I found myself walking towards the university entrance; adrenalin coursing through my veins. I ought to have headed home. Kicked off my shoes. Studied. Ate something. But here I was; heart pounding, mind racing; headed towards the parking lot and occupying a free low bench around the perimeter.

This wasn’t like me, but I had time to kill and answers to uncover. Concentrating between the borrowed textbook and my own nerves, I waited, often peering up to scan the lot for the person of interest. I didn’t know Jongin’s schedule let alone Sehun’s, so the waiting game I played was an indefinite one. In fact, I didn’t even know if he’d emerge on his own.

Considering what happened earlier, the thought of questioning him in front of Jongin didn’t seem harmless. Sehun did, after all, threaten me in conditions that promised secrecy.

An hour had passed uneventfully. Two. Three. More cars came, but most went. By the time the sun grew a rich, pooling orange at my feet and the surrounding buildings cast black shadows with the declining star, I began to think twice of my mission. Gayoon was long gone at this point – I was too far away from the gates for her to see me when she did emerge, thankfully – and my stomach squealed for a meal.

What was I, crazy? Waiting three hours just to ask Sehun what his mumbling was about back there? I asked myself these questions, yet the thought of abandoning confrontation left me with both a sense of relief and gnawing concern.

After a great deal of inner conflict, though, I relented. My mission was a failure. I finally moved to leave, stuffing the textbook into my bag and killing my playlist. Back turned to the parking lot as I did so, combing my hair back, the sudden systematic blaring of a car alarm startled me into turning around. I did so; scanning the area for the culprit out of instinct; and froze at the sight of Sehun scowling at the car key in his hand he kept outstretched towards a noisy white vehicle.

 

I didn’t know what to expect of Sehun at the end of the day. The very few instances I’d seen him he was constantly in Jongin’s company. Did he ride home with him too? The question was certainly a pressing concern for the present. But noting he was alone, shuffling his belongings the moment the car alarm died, I didn’t hesitate to approach him.

‘Sehun.’

I said so loud and clearly that he jerked back, snapping his head in my direction, looking evidently spooked by my appearance. I couldn’t blame him. There were a handful of times I reacted similarly when it came to Jongin’s surprises too.

‘S-Saerin…?’ he sputtered; his mouth opening and closing in surprise. ‘What are you…’

‘What did you mean earlier?’

‘Huh?’

‘Let’s not beat around the bush,’ I said sternly, eyes never leaving his. ‘What are you intending with those words? I don’t take kindly to threats. No one in their right mind would.’

The more I gazed intently at Sehun, the more I noticed him grow flustered. He remained silent, soaking my words; perhaps calculating his odds; and I watched him carefully, noting the way he pushed back his hair and sighed irritably.

‘Look,’ he started, raising a single hand with the word. ‘Take it as a warning, not a threat. I can’t say much else.’

‘Why not?’

‘Because…’

More silence ensued. A conflicted silence, judging by Sehun’s knitted eyebrows and erratic twitching. His free hand now moved to the pocket of his jacket and with a single foot, he tapped the ground repeatedly as if out of nervous habit. Something was off.

‘Whatever,’ Sehun breathed, shaking his head, walking around the hood of the car to the driver’s side. ‘Look, I have to go.’

‘If that wasn’t a threat, then what are you warning me about?’ I asked, pressing further considering the words seemed to hold his attention. ‘And the forest, that one evening after Hansol and I were attacked… you were in there, weren’t you? What’s going on, Sehun?’

It was another question that threw him off, but I wasn’t going to let Sehun off the hook. It was the first time I felt in charge of a situation in w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter