Chapter One: Why Me?

The Ring of Fire

The Shawol boys were out celebrating with their Head. Onew's friends were sitting at a table, watching him with twisted faces.

"You really ought to chew before you swallow." Jonghyun grimaced, watching the Shawol Head gulp down a drumstick.

"Yes," Key agreed. "It's quite disgusting, if you know what I mean." Onew carelessly ignored them as he continued to drool over his food. Minho just laughed as he messed Taemin's hair, "You're such a loser for muggle food..."

Onew immediately stopped eating and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "If you haven't noticed, Minho," He said, inspecting his piece of chicken carefully. "I grew up with muggle parents. And my love for muggle food shall never go away."
Everyone rolled their eyes as Onew dove back into his meal, slobbering and chewing.

"Hyomin better know what she's in for," He chuckled.

Onew gave him a half-hearted grin, sauce on the edge of his mouth, "Cuz she's in for a lot."

 


"It's quite an oppurtunity, Kyuhyun," Leeteuk explained. "And you're amazing with the wand-"

"How will this prove beneficial, anyways?" The young wizard asked doubtfully. "I heard this tournament was brutal."
"You'll have a companion," Leeteuk urged. He really thought Kyuhyun had potential. "A female. Just as worthy as you are."
He didn't respond as his gaze dropped down to his wand.

"I...I don't know, Head." He finished.

Leeteuk sighed, but he was still determined.
"Look," He put a hand on his shoulder. "Think about it for a couple days. Applications are being submitted till next Tuesday. Until then, you should reconsider how you want to shape your future."

Kyuhyun looked back at the memory. Just one decision. Just one.

And there he was.

The Chosen Applicant.

Kyuhyun wasn't like most wizards - he tried hard and was muggle-born. He always felt interconnected with Leeteuk, even though they were from two complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Leeteuk was a pure blood, with not a single trace of muggle.

Yet, he always depended on the Head and trusted him.

Ryeowook, Kyuhyun's closest friend, came over to give his friend a pat in the back. "Great job, Kyu. You deserved this."

The young wizard smiled in response, his lips twisting into a curl. "Is that a frown I see?" Ryeowook asked, hoping to brighten the mood.

"Its just... I never thought-"

"You'd get Chosen?"

He nodded, gripping his wand, "Is this a mistake? Why me? Of all people, why me?" Ryeowook gave a smile in response, all too mysterious for his taste, "That's something you're just going to have to find out."

 


 

"We have an amazing list!" Doojoon smiled, his teeth chattering. It was cold, and the marble fountain that was in the center of the courtyard was covered in frost. Gikwang took a glance at the clipboard and read, "Jang Soyeon, Park Haejin, Song Minji..."

"That's a lot of B2utys," He remarked. "Are all of them going to be selected?" Doojoon shook his head, "Only one female and male are going to represent each house."

"That sounds really tough..." Gikwang quavered, gazing at the board. "Yeah," Doojoon straightened his posture a bit. "I'm applying. You should too."

"Um..."

"As Head and Succeeding, it's only appropiate to do so."

"So you're saying I might have a chance?"

"The Ring knows best." Doojoon remarked.

Gikwang smirked a bit, "If I get chosen, it's like kissing your ." The Head seemed slightly amused by his statement, "Bring it on."

His eyes were still wide from the shock. The impact came like a slap on the face, it was stimulating and nerve-wracking at the same time. "Doojoon?" He whispered fiercely. "Did I just get Chosen?"

The B2uty head nodded, not a single trace of regret in his voice, "You're worth it."

Gikwang looked up, his eyes widening, "Are you kidding me?!" He shot around the room like a bullet, "I'm doing a life-threatening tournament with my sister!! There has to be some kind of rule!" Doojoon hastily stood up, calming the young wizard, "Don't worry too much..."

"Oh I'm worrying alright," Gikwang muttered. "I haven't seen her in years."

This brought his attention, "What?"

"It's been four years!" He said exasperatedly. "I didn't know she was a wizard! So I lost contact - I mean, I was at school!"

"Where did she think you were?"

"Army."

"ARMY?!" Doojoon tried to hide his astonishment. "Then what happened?!"

"Then she came here!! We bumped into each other and-"

"Four years."

"Four years," Gikwang confirmed, burying his face in his hands. "She hasn't talked to me in months."

Doojoon didn't really know what to say or do.

Was it destiny that brought these two siblings together? Was this destiny going to bring fatal results?

Or worse...?