Chapter 18

Cats Are Pillars

Chanyeol's words linger on Yong-sun's mind, even if she tries her best to prevent her thoughts to always come back to the very reason that caused his childhood classmate to dislike a person like Minseok.
Into her eyes, the accountant is nice, well-educated and probably better than most of the men she has dated in her whole life. He might not be as bad as Chanyeol seems to think that he is. Therefore, she refuses to believe him, even when she is back home and she lies onto her bed, waiting to fall asleep.
A night goes by, and so does the day. She is seeing Minseok in the evening, and it is the mere thought to having dinner with him fills her with joy and impatience. She wonders what he has decided to prepare. Men would not bother to order something into a good restaurant and pretend that it is homemade, she thinks to herself, as she buttons her light red shirt and makes sure that she does not look too big with the black belt over it.
She looks at her legs, hoping that her skirt is not too short. But Minseok would never dare looking under it, right? She nods and pinches her lips as she pulls on her skirt to straighten it.
"Okay, let's go." She gives a gentle pat on Bubble's head, smiling at the kitten. "Wish me luck."
As she arrives at Minseok's place, she realizes how tired and drunk she was the last time she came there. She would not have been able to tell that Minseok had a taste for arts, nor that he had a enormous canvas hanged over what seemed to be an electric fake chimney. The walls were painted a light shade of grey and everything seemed to be perfectly in place. No wonder, for a person like Minseok.
She looks at him with an adoring look she does not even bother to hide. How lucky is she to have met someone like him? Her mother has once told her that successful people where often disliked because others were jealous of what they could not have, and Yong-sun is pretty sure that Minseok must deal with this kind of problem.
"I prepared something, I hope you'll like it." Minseok says with a smile.
He presented her the table he had set for the occasion. She had also forgotten the small table with the white laced tablecloth, the candles... No, it was not there the first time she came.
"Wow." Yong-sun looks at him with a smile at the corner of her lips. "Please, tell me, where are the cameras? Or pinch me, I must be dreaming."
A soft chuckle escapes Minseok's lips as he pulls her chair before going to the kitchen and coming back with a bottle of fine red wine. 
She must be dreaming.
After all these years telling her mother that she was not interested in being in a relationship, she feels as if all her convictions have disappeared with a snap of Minseok's finger.
As she starts to eat the meal he has prepared, a nice piece of meat - it should have cost an arm and a leg, she thinks, Yong-sun feels a bit reassured. At least, there is something that Minseok cannot do perfectly: the meat is good and cooked, but it could be better. She represses the need to tell him. Moonbyul would have laughed. She would probably tell her best friend, the next time they see.
"It is delicious." She says, a tender smile spreading accross her lips as she looks at Minseok.
"I'm glad you like it." He says with a chuckle, looking at his plate. "I'm not used to cooking meat and I was afraid it would be undercooked."
"No, really. It's perfect." Her smile widens as she goes on, trying to figure out whether he believes her or not. She ends up playing with a piece of meat at the tip of her fork.
"Is everything alright?"
"Yes, don't worry, I just..."
Wonder how someone so perfectly can have enemies or former friends. Is he not adorable?
After dinner, Yong-sun feels like floating in space. She has eaten a whole lot, but she feels like a balloon. As he proposes a movie, she agrees and they settle for an old comedy. They end up speaking about everything except the thing and, eventually, kissing. It feels like a dream.
A dream that will eventually come to an end.
As she realizes how late it is, Yong-sun looks at Minseok, who nods quietly. "I know, the cats." She smiles and apologizes, leaving a last kiss on his lips before leaving the couch.
Before the door, she hesitates. It is at that moment that she should normally propose him to come at her place and have dinner, but something holds her back. She knows how her previous relationships have ended and she knows that she does not want this one to end the same way. Minseok is a pearl.
"Good night." She says, lips curling into another tender smile, to which Minseok gives the same answer.
She goes back home floating on a small fluffy cloud and surrounded by flying unicorns. Her mother would not believe it. Yet, she is living it. She wonders whether Moonbyul had realized how good her idea was when she had presented them at the Café.
Entering her room, she does not pay attention to the cacti pot the cats have broken. She does not even see - or, at least, she pretends not to see - the teared bag of cat food spilling on the living room floor. Her babies have not behaved, but it does not matter. Not today.
She undresses and puts some pyjama on, looking at herself in the mirror. She is happy to dress in something more comfortable, but at the same times she feels like she is putting away the good feelings of the evening. Her heart is still racing. It was only a dinner, but what dinner! She really feels like she is dating the best man in Seoul, and it is the best feeling she could have. It would make her forget about anything.
"Ah, Mr. Stache, I'm so happy. You can't imagine!" She says, sinking into her bed, the cat giving her a grumpy look. "I know, I know, you love me too." She pats the head of the animal, giggling at her own words before rolling onto her back, looking at the ceiling, the big cat jumping and curling onto her belly. She sits up and takes Mr. Stache into her arms, scratching the top of his head, then the bottom of his chin, a smile curling her lips as she hears the animal purr. "Yes, like that, my big baby... You know I would never give you up."
Never.