"I May Seem Like a Glass Bead, But I Won't Break So Easily"

Glass Beads and Her Fingertip

"1...2...3...Laaaa" 

The glee club had their first official day of practice. It was also the fourth day of school, so homework was still loading them for when the come home. It was going on 9:30pm. Sowon was arranging everyone, including her own team, stressing out very much. She was exhausted already. Youngsun was there and she wanted to look as professional as possible, knowing that tonight was an important meeting. 

"Doing a great job, I see," said Seokmin one of the new kids. "You are such an amazing leader."

"Thank you so much," Sowon smiled. "I have a thing to lead I guess." 

"If you became an idol, you'd do great, " said another new kid named Inseong. "I'm Inseong and you partnered me with...that Seungjun fellow." He pointed over to a boy standing nearby another taller guy who had red highlights in his hair. "He's pretty nice. But that Youjin is one mean, but y beast ugh. Don't you agree?"

Sowon, unsure of what to say, walked over to check on her team's progress. Actually, just to see how Eunha was doing. She never left her side since she thought she lost her on the bus. She made sure they got to school before  the bell, worked her to every class, carried her books, you name it. She noticed everyone was doing okay, but kind of got peeved when she noticed Yerin toying around with her. Sowon slid in and grabbed Eunha's hand. 

"Nobody touch this one," she instructed.

Yerin cocked her head to the right. "Huh?"

"Hey, Kim Sowon, what are you getting at?" Eunha snatched her hand away. She sighed. 

"Shoot, it's time to go anyway," Sowon huffed. "Alright everyone! Practice's over!"

The crowd of students started to scatter trying to find which exit was less crowded. Sowon looked around for Teacher Kim, but Eunha caught her attention. She looked down at the younger girl, her eyes twinkling. 

"Are you going straight home? I never walked to the bus stop by myself at night before." Eunha looked so innocent and a little nervous. It was the first time Sowon has ever seen her like that. All vulnerable. And quiet. Eunha's voice was a bit louder but it got all mousy and sweeter than usual. 

"Um....Let me talk to Teacher Kim because I was supposed to be talking to her about glee club's future plans.If she'll let me cancel, I'd gladly take you home." Sowon reasurringly Eunha's hair before going off in the hallway to find Youngsun. She looked around desperately. The prinicipal and every other teacher had already left. Soon, she heard her phone bleep.

teacher kim: teacher moon is giving birth right now, so we have to reschedule. but i must say, i wanted to tell you, i'm giving you full authority over the concerts for glee club. In your email will be a schedule for all expected concert dates. feel free to share with a designated cabinet, nominated by the glee club and yourself of course. also budgets are threatning to shut down glee club if the concerts aren't successful. so please give this your all. if you want the future students to enjoy the club please do this for them. put on a showstopping show! okay i'll see you in three weeks. 

Sowon's heart stopped. Glee club. The staff were threatning to shut down now one of the most popular clubs of the school. She felt a strong passion take over her. She had to save the club so that kids could experience the love of music and friendship. As cheesy as it sounded, she felt entitled to being the glee club's savior. "Teacher Kim and Teacher Moon are mothers now!" she exclaimed to SinB and all the other seniors. "And we have to nominate a...cabinet."

"Can we do this next week, Sowon?"sighed  Nayeon, a new senior to the group. 

"Of course, but I feel like I know the cabinet will be the original quartet," Sowon said. "Did Eunha leave yet?"

"Sowon has a crush on a freshman!" SinB teased. 

"Shut up! No I don't," Sowon  snapped. "She's just a kid who has major talent and I want her to unlock that potential."

"More like unlock the fact that she's gayer than Teacher Moon and Teacher Kim combined," Jihyo laughed.

"Hush! No one is gayer than the Moonsun duo," Sowon pointed out. A small poke on the back shook Sowon out of her skin. She turned around and saw Eunha. She almost cursed but held back because this is a school environment and she must set a positive example. 

"You were looking for me?" Eunha laughed. 

"Let's leave Sowon and her little baby crush alone," SinB teased. "We'll see you...Monday?" 

"Baby crush....?what is SinB talking abou-" Sowon pushed Eunha out the room, wildly turning red.

She peeked her head through the door. "I don't like that little girl! She has potential though! I want to help her unlock her true talent! Like a mentor!"

"You want to coach her through love," SinB laughed. "And she's adorable! She wouldn't want your Yao Ming height anyway! She needs someone who doesn't have to make her stretch her neck to kiss. That's bad for her vocals, since you say you find her 'talented'. Wouldn't want that talent to leave, would you?"

Sowon rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She ran to catch up with Eunha in the halls. Eunha looked very tired and barely could keep up with Sowon's long steps. She felt bad, so she tried walking slower and half a step behind her. Eunha looked at Sowon and looked away. Sowon looked down at the ground, trying to process. How could I develop a crush so fast? She's just another talented girl. You like her in a platonic way. No doubt. It's a talent crush, Sowon thought to herself. 

Eunha began trudging and Sowon found it hard to even just walk behind her. "Want me to just carry you?"

Eunha turned pink. "Wha-"

Sowon sighed and bent over. "Climb on."

"Is this a joke?"

Sowon sighed. "Look, I see tha you're tired, so just climb on." Eunha slipped onto Sowon's back. She clinged onto her slim shoulders and leaned into her shirt. 

Eunha fell asleep on Sowon's back as Sowon boarded the bus. When they got to their stop, Sowon panicked. She tried waking up the younger girl, but she didn't budge. So she took her to her house instead. She laid the sleeping girl on the couch and searched for her cellphone. She noticed it had no password. What a kid, she thought to herself unlocking it. She texted one of the parents' phone numbers that she was staying at a friend's house for the night and collapsed on the rug beside the couch. "Good night little one," she mouthed, drifting off to sleep.

===============

"WHAT AM I DOING IN YOUR HOUSE?" 

Sowon woke up to Eunha on top of her gripping her collar. "You...you fell asleep..."

"Why didn't you take me home?" she questioned, her face in rage. 

"Because I didn't know your house. Don't blame me, Eunha." Groggy as ever, Sowon got up and went to the kitchen. "Want to eat something before you go?"

Eunha was already at the door, sliding her shoes on, and slipping her bookbag onto her back. "Not hungry." 

Sowon rushed to her and finger-combed the younger girl's hair and fixed her tie. "Don't go out there looking like you drank the night before." She hugged Eunha tightly. "When you get home, take a shower and brush your teeth. Your breath smells terrible and it gets worst when you yell." Sowon laughed tiredly. 

Eunha smiled back and looked into her eyes. "Thank you. I'm sorry I lashed out on you back there." They held eye contact until Sowon opened the door. Eunha looked outside then back at Sowon. "Oh, time to go!" She turned away very quickly and ran downstairs. "Bye Sowon!"

The door closed on its own due to the strong wind. Sowon sighed and rubbed her eyes. Her heart was raging in her chest. What is wrong with me? she thought to herself. She splashed her face with cold water because her cheeks were warm. She looked in the mirror and saw a faded lipstick mark on her cheek. Huh. 

She heard the mail slot clink and ran to the door to pick up the mail. Only to see a small slip of pink paper and a number was on it. She read the untidy scrawl that stated: "I may seem like a glass bead, but I won't break so easily." 

Sowon saw Eunha's name on the back and smirked. "What am I going to do with you, Eunha?"