Eight.

IOU

Yoongi is waiting for Tae to ask him how he is.

He’s sure any second Tae will shut his mouth and ask Yoongi how he’s really feeling. He’ll demand that Yoongi stop putting up a front and just be straight with him so they can both get over this and get on with their lives.

But Tae doesn’t do that, because that’s not the type f person that he is. He’s too invested in the conversation he’s trying to have with Yoongi, while the elder thinks about anything else.

And Yoongi wants to scream in Tae’s face just how he’s feeling and just how not okay he is, but he doesn’t think that’s fair. So he walks beside him, nodding every so often at the appropriate times in Tae’s story and pretends like he cares.

Honestly he’s surprised that Tae even asked him to come out with him, and it’s only when he’s already met up with him and walking the street does he realise why. Because amongst Tae’s rambling Yoongi had managed to catch that both Jungkook and Hoseok are at dance practice and of course that leaves Tae alone. The thought that Jimin would be there with them briefly crosses his mind, before he shoves it away, confused as to why he would be thinking about him right now.

Yoongi wonders if Tae has any other friends, he’s sure that he does, so perhaps he should feel somewhat privileged to be the one that Tae wants to hang out with.

“Hey!” He’s snapped out of his thoughts by Tae’s loud voice and the tugging on his jacket sleeve.

“What?” He snaps back, annoyed at the younger.

“Let’s go in here,” Tae returns with a grin, pointing at a clothing shop which is not in Yoongi’s taste.

He enters after him with a reluctant sigh, scanning the shelves in an effort to seem engaged when all he wants to do is be cooped up in his room working on songs.

Tae flits from shelf to shelf calling the attention of the shop attendant who walks quickly towards him, her heels clicking across the wood floor as she does so. Yoongi watches as she pulls items from the shelf, helping Tae hold them against his torso, his reflection shooting a large grin at Yoongi, who turns away pretending not to know him.

It’s when Tae is in the change room for what Yoongi feels is an excessive amount of time when he decides that enough it enough. This entire time all he could think about was getting away and retreating to his room, his safe haven, but once again to his own dismay he’s continuously given in to his roommate, who seems just as oblivious as usual.

“Tae!” He shouts, banging against the door causing it to rattle on its hinges. “How much longer are you going to make me stay here?”

There’s no answer as he puts his ear closer to the wood, hearing a muffled voice coming from the other side. “Tae?”

The door sings open inwards, causing Yoongi to come face to face with Tae dressed once again in his normal clothes. Yoongi rights himself, sure what it must have looked like with his face pressed against the door.

“You weren’t trying to peek in on me were you?” Tae asks with a sly smile, not realising that it’s still too soon for jokes about a certain revelation.

Yoongi just rolls his eyes, turning around to make his way out of the shop. He hears the sound of thumping feet as Tae trails after him, eager to not be left behind.

“Where are you going?” He asks when they get back onto the street, Yoongi had begun to walk back in the direction of their apartment, but now he thinks that was the wrong choice.

“Home?”

“Oh no,” Tae responds with a shake of his head. “I just got a call; we’ve got somewhere to be.” He grabs Yoongi’s hand and drags him across the road and walking in the opposite direction.

“Where are we going?” He asks, annoyed, pulling his hand from Tae’s grasp and shoving it in his pocket. The place where Tae had been holding burns from the contact and he tries to wish it away.

Tae looks over his shoulder, his grin still plastered on his face. “It’s a secret, but I promise you’ll like it.”

Yoongi just huffs, opting to look across the street at the other people mulling around at this time of day. He can’t concentrate enough to imagine what lives they lead, but he can only assume that of right now, at this very moment, all of them are better than his.

 

They walk in silence for a few blocks each seemingly lost in their own thoughts when Tae decides to break it.

“So what do you think of Jiminie?”

The question catches Yoongi off guard, causing him to stumble over a crack in the sidewalk before righting himself again. “W-What?” He manages to choke out.

Tae gives him a concerned look before facing forward again. “Jiminie. What do you think of him?”

Yoongi racks his brain for the feelings that he had when he was with the younger. What did he think about him? Well that really was the question Yoongi has been asking himself since that night in the club. What feelings does Jimin actually give him? Sure there was the almost kiss, which Yoongi wasn’t disgusted by. But there was also no kiss, because Yoongi himself put a stop to it before things could get out of hand. He enjoys being in his company and yet he can’t say he feels that it is that much different than being with his other friends, all except Tae that is, who leaves his stomach in knots and his head spinning. So what did that mean?

He shrugs, settling on nonchalance. “He’s okay, I suppose.”

“He’s okay?” Tae repeats, testing the words for himself before frowning at the street in front of him. “He really likes you, you know?”

No Yoongi didn’t know, and having someone say that to him only causes his stomach to twist even more in discomfort, he only hopes that wherever Tae is taking him will do well to calm his nerves.

“You should give him a chance; you might be surprised what happens,” Tae states, his smile back in place as he stops outside of a nondescript building.

“Where are we?” Yoongi changes the subject as his eyes glance over the cement building dotted with large window that he’s sure have fantastic views of the surrounding city.

“You’ll see,” He responds, pulling the glass door open and stepping inside. Yoongi has to step forward quickly to catch the door before it swings back and slams against the side of the building.

He follows Tae up a flight of stairs which lead them to a small flat area before another flight takes them further up. The pounding of music flows to Yoongi’s ears as they are about half way up the second flight, his muscles already disagreeing with the exercise he’s putting them through. The Music is loud as Tae stops outside a wooden door and stares back at him waiting for him to make it up the last few steps. He gives Tae a confused look as he stands next to him.

Tae grins and opens the door without so much as a knock and the pop music almost immediately begins to thump in Yoongi’s head, causing a throbbing headache to start up. Just what he needs. He enters the room, the floor shaking with the pounding of feet as a group of dancers move in front of the wall length mirrors.

No, Tae cannot have brought him here right now.

He scans the people dancing who are yet to notice that Tae just barged his way in as if he had every right to do so. The first one he notices is Jungkook, and his stomach instantly twists in on its self-further, he doesn’t think he has the strength to deal with seeing him today. The next is Hoseok, the one who he only knows by name and is yet to actually say a word to. He’s in the middle of the group and seems to be the one directing them through the routine. The last one he notices, strange because his red hair is still as bright as ever, is Jimin who stands beside Hoseok and looks to be taking every word to heart, his movements look as though he’s had years of practice, his body moving effortlessly across the floor.

“Yoongi,” Tae’s voice drifts to him from where he stands by a bench on the far side of the room.

Without hesitation Yoongi strides over to him, hoping that no one else saw him openly gawking at the group. He sits down beside Taehyung, his eyes drifting slowly over to watch the carefully choreographed dance; the thumping of their feet seems to bounce off the four walls, which is only broken every now again with either directions or encouragement from Hoseok in the centre.

Yoongi finds himself watching Jimin carefully,

He has never been a dancer, nor had the skill to even consider it an option. But with the way that Jimin danced with his carefully constructed moves reminded Yoongi greatly of the way he makes songs. The way he carefully selects notes, and beats and a rhythm before planning words out with the upmost care and precision.

Though he found that he needed very little effort to produce songs that he found worthy.

Jimin dances the way he constructs songs, simply and carefree as though he was doing it for the sheer enjoyment and not the end prize.

Yoongi felt warmth spreading throughout his stomach, untwisting the knots that had been holding him all day and spread outwards to the very ends of his fingers tips and toes. He felt as though seeing Jimin like this, in this way, the younger might just understand a part of him that Yoongi has always been wanting.

In that moment, watching Jimin, Yoongi felt the absolute pressing need to write a song.

 

The music is shut off then, breaking Yoongi out of his trance and he looks away quickly to make sure he isn’t caught staring by the red head and can save himself at least some embarrassment. The group makes their way towards them, each covered in copious amounts of sweat as they reach for their towels and drink bottles. Tae has a grin on his face the whole time and Yoongi can’t help but notice who it is directed at. The last one to walk over, Jungkook, who has a lazy smile on his face that Yoongi has an almost pressing need to wipe off.

“Yoongi?” A high voice asks from his left causing him to turn away from Jungkook. He’s met with the sight of Jimin still breathing heavily as he wipes his towel across his forehead. The sight of him in loose shorts and a t-shirt causes his breath to hitch in his throat for a second before he clears in and offers a small smile.

“Hey, Jimin.”                                                    

He takes a seat beside him, grabbing his water bottle from the floor and takes a sip, his breathing evening out as the seconds tick by. “You know when I said you should come and watch me; I didn’t think you actually would.”

There’s a shy smile on Jimin’s face which Yoongi believes could have been embarrassment, but it couldn’t be. Not when Jimin danced that well, he wouldn’t be embarrassed by people coming to watch him.

“Actually I didn’t know that I was coming here.” Jimin his head in confusion. “Tae brought me here. We were out shopping and -,”

Yoongi watches the way Jimin’s eyes flit over to Tae, the corner of his mouth pulls down slightly before he’s looking back at Yoongi, small smile back on his face as though nothing happened.

“Well it doesn’t matter how you came to be here, what matters is that you are. Actually I’m glad you are because there is something I wanted to ask you…”

Jimin continues talking but Yoongi’s thoughts have drifted to something else, something that caught his attention just at the corner of his eye.

Tae and Jungkook are standing together talking in hushed whispers that he has no hope of hearing before Tae splits off standing to face himself in the wall high mirrors. He hunkers down, which Yoongi recognises from the start of the choreography they walked in on.

Tae’s not going to dance is he?

Jungkook starts up some music on his phone and Yoongi stops in place, watching the way Tae begins to dance. Unlike Jimin, Tae’s body is more rigid in his movements, seemingly unable to figure out how to flow seamlessly and fluidly as Jimin does. Though Yoongi finds it pleasing to watch, he can’t tell if it’s because of his feelings for Tae or if he can dance. It’s probably the former as the next step Tae takes sends him fumbling in a heap of flailing limbs at Jungkook’s feet.

He watches as Jungkook squats down, looking down at Tae with an amused expression, his roommate staring up at his boyfriend with a cheeky grin.

What Yoongi wouldn’t give to have Tae look at him like that.

He watches as Tae’s grin widens, his arms reach up around Jungkook’s neck and before either of them has a chance to react Tae is pulling him down on top of him, not caring about the weight of another body crushing down on him. Jungkook flails in a thrash of limbs as he falls onto Tae laughing as if it was the funniest thing he’d ever done. The smiles on their faces causes an anger to sit low in Yoongi’s stomach just waiting for anything to set it off.

He doesn’t have to wait long as Tae pulls Jungkook towards him, nothing separating their bodies now but thin clothing. Their mouths connect in a harsh way, both desperate and clumsy at the same time. Yoongi watches on as if in some sort of trance, unable to look away as he tries to get the oxygen in the air around him to flow into his lungs. He feels as though he’s suffocating at the only thing that could save him is if Tae rejects Jungkook and runs to him instead. Realising all along he’d made a mistake.

Yoongi feels a tugging on his hand and it takes all the effort he can muster to turn his eyes away from the couple and see that had the audacity to distract him. He figures he should thank them for saving him from the torment of watching, but in the moment he’s angrier at the fact that someone else is demanding his attention.

The wide eyes of Jimin stare at him in concern and Yoongi knows that he’s missed everything the younger has been saying to him. Jimin begins to open his mouth, his eyes flitting behind Yoongi to see what he’d been staring at, but Yoongi speaks first, pulling his hand out of his grip and turning away.

“Don’t touch me.” The threat in his voice frightens even him, and he manages to turn back to him seeing the look on Jimin’s face that he can only describe as distress, over what he’s not sure. With a reluctance sigh he lets a ‘sorry’ slip from his lips quietly and even he’s not sure if Jimin heard him or not, before he’s walking over to the couple before he can stop himself.

He’s aware of all eyes on him and yet that doesn’t make his feet cease moving to their destination. Tae and Jungkook remain oblivious to all around them and so it’s no surprise at all that Jungkook les out a surprised yelp when Yoongi pulls him off Tae by the back of his t-shirt and pushes him away.

“What the-,”

Yoongi stands staring down at Tae, hating himself for the tears he feels threating to fall from his eyes.

“Yoongi?” Tae questions, pushing himself up until he stands looking down slightly at his roommate.

“What the do you think you’re doing?” Yoongi whispers harshly, not wanting to be over heard but the way the room was made causes his words to bounce off the walls and echo back in his ears. He knows everyone can hear them.

“What?” Tae asks, visibly confused by Yoongi’s actions.

“Why the did you bring me here?” He breathes deeply, his voice growing louder. “Why did you bring me here with you and do that?”

With Tae standing in front of him at a loss for words Jungkook steps back up, putting his body between the two like a sort of flesh wall. Yoongi would have no problem trying to go through him; in fact he’s just itching for an excuse.

“Yoongi, what are you doing?”

He glares at him, dark eyes meeting dark eyes, neither willing to back down. And the fact that Jungkook doesn’t even look angry causes his own anger to rise. In fact Yoongi is sure he can see pity in the younger’s eyes and how dare someone pity him. “Get out of the way, this has nothing to do with you.” He spits.

Jungkook laughs at that and Yoongi’s teeth grind. “You’re kidding right?”

“Does it look like I’m ing kidding?” He moves to step around Jungkook to get to Tae when the younger puts his hand out and grabs hold of his arm, he winces from the tight grip unable to move further. “Get your hand off me.”

“No.”

He breathes in deeply, both in an effort to calm himself and to look menacing. Neither works.

“How could you do this to me, Taehyung?” He looks around at Tae, ignoring Jungkook and the grip that remains on his arm. Tae stares at him, his dark eyes pleading with Yoongi to just calm down so they can talk it through, but Yoongi is beyond that point and he knows it.

“Yoongi…” He begins, trying to gather his thoughts. Trying to put together sentences that will help Yoongi, but he doesn’t get the chance.

Yoongi rips his arm out of Jungkook’s grip, stumbling back a few steps to regain his balance, before he speaks in a low tone his anger just bubbling under the surface. He speaks in a tone that causes goosebumps to rise over Tae’s arms, his hairs standing on end.

“I’m sorry,” He shakes his head as if he couldn’t believe himself what he had just done. “I don’t know what came over me, it’s not like you’re even worth it anyway.”

For just a second Taehyung forgets how to breathe.