Three.

IOU

Tae pushes himself off the couch and runs to Yoongi.

“Yoongi, wait!”

The elder acts as though he doesn’t hear him as he opens his bedroom door. There is no way he can talk to Tae right now. No way that he can face what he just did. His embarrassment is too much. And it’s not like he doesn’t already know that Tae doesn’t see him that way, but to have him actually say the words would split Yoongi in two.

Tae reaches out to him, his fingers wrapping around Yoongi’s shoulder in an effort to get him to stay. Yoongi flinches away, reluctantly turning around to see the hurt look on Tae’s face. He hates how much that face affects him, hates that he’s the one that put it there, but he’s hurting and so everyone around him can hurt to.

“Don’t touch me!” He spits.

“Yoongi,” Tae says his name in such a disappointed tone that Yoongi almost cracks. Almost. “Please just let me explain.”

Yoongi’s eyes are hard as he stares at his roommate. He made the biggest mistake he could, drunk or not and he just wants to get out of here. “You don’t need to explain anything to me, Taehyung. I get it.”

Tae sees the way Yoongi breathes deeply as if trying to keep himself from falling apart. He knows he should have put a stop to this sooner, but the effect of the alcohol had him feeling  daring until he remembered someone else who would not take too kindly to knowing he’d kissed another person. But Yoongi is his roommate and his friend and he needs to make this right.

“Yoongi, I’m so sorry, but I don’t -,”

“Save it.” Yoongi snaps, cutting him off. Hearing those words would cause the weakening band inside him holding everything together to break. “I don’t want to hear it.”

He turns away and walks into his room, slamming the door in Tae’s face as his own heart is fills with regret.

Yoongi falls straight down onto his bed, not even bothering to pull the covers away as he curls in on himself and tries to get his breathing under control. He knew that nothing good would ever come of telling Tae his feelings, but like the idiot he is he went and did it anyway. Because Yoongi and alcohol do not mix and he should know that by now, yet every time he finds himself surprised.

He can’t even blame Tae for his actions in not stopping him to begin with, because he knows that’s just how the younger is. He’s never thought about the consequences his actions will have and that is something that Yoongi has always envied him for. Yet there is a part of him that regrets his own drunken actions the night Tae moved in, because ever since then he’s been plagued with worry and unease, whether it was concern over where Tae spent his nights or nervousness that one day he might just slip up and reveal to the younger everything he was feeling.

That night was tonight.

And there is no way to go back.

He silently curses the universe for his bad luck as he pulls his pillow over his head and tries to drown out the laughter that seems to be coming from every corner of the room. He can still hear the shuffling of feet that sounds similar to pacing outside his bedroom door. He’ll let Tae in soon, just not yet. He can’t stand to see his face.

Can’t stand to see the rejection written across it.

He stays, feeling sorry for himself until his eyes begin to grow heavy. He reluctantly lifts himself up and walks to his door, figuring now he should talk to Tae, knows that it was him who over reacted. With a deep breath he opens his door, surprised when he’s not immediately met with Tae’s face like he had been expecting.

His eyebrows furrow as he tries to make sense of the situation. The apartment he notices is unnaturally quiet; though perhaps Tae’s gone to bed. It is the early hours of the morning, before the suns begun to peek over the horizon, so the thought doesn’t sound too improbable. He walks lightly over to Tae’s room and knocks hesitantly on the door. The nausea in his stomach pleads with him to turn around, but he has to do this. There’s no way they could keep on living together if the situation went unspoken.

He shifts from foot to foot as he waits for the door to be answered, but he remains disappointed. Annoyed he pushes the door open, past caring if Tae will get mad at him for doing so. Not that he has to worry about that, because the moment he opens it he knows he’s going to be met with an empty room. Still he looks over the unmade bed and the cluttered desk that show so many signs of living, but no life.

He sighs, knowing that he shouldn’t let Tae’s absence get him down so much, but he has no way of helping it. Sure he hated the fact that he needed to talk to Tae, but he would prefer the younger to be here to work things through with, as opposed to him completely bolting. The whole situation has Yoongi feeling disheartened, and angry.

Because how could Tae do this?

How could he just walk out on him like this, when nothing is resolved?

He supposes it’s probably his fault for one, causing the whole situation in the first place, and two, not allowing Tae to explain immediately.

Still it’s easier to shift the blame to someone else.

He contemplates calling Tae, but figures it’s probably better to leave it for the night. He walks back into his own room and curls up in his bed. They’ll be able to talk about it when Tae gets back.

~~.~~

“Jungkook,” Tae breathes as the dark haired man opens the door.

“Tae?” He asks, rubbing his eyes as he tries to figure out why he’s at his apartment so early without so much as a call.

“I think I ed up,” He continues, moving towards Jungkook, who opens his arms instinctively and wraps them around Tae as he falls against him. He sighs, smelling the alcohol on his breath, they’ve been here before.

He ushers Tae into the room, closing the door behind them as he follows close behind to his bedroom. Tae flops down onto the crumpled sheets immediately, his head falling into his hands. Jungkook watches curiously from the doorway, unsure exactly how to comfort him.

“So,” He begins, attempting to ease into the conversation. “What’s going on?”

Tae stares up at him, his hair standing in all directions from his hands running through it. Jungkook has never seen him so lost and that has him sitting on the end of the bed attempting to comfort him.

“Yoongi, he,-“

He cuts himself off, almost as if he can’t believe it. But Jungkook knows better. He knows how much Yoongi likes Tae, and that’s saying a lot seeing as Jungkook has never actually met him. But during the many conversations he has had with Tae, with him gushing over how nice Yoongi is and how he’s one of the only ones who lets him get away with half the he does, Jungkook could tell. That there was something else there that was driving Yoongi to be so selfless.

Because Jungkook has heard things about Yoongi through the gossip vine of the school and he knows that Yoongi is not so selfless and soft hearted to just any old person. In fact, Jungkook doesn’t think he’s ever heard of Yoongi treating anyone like he treats Tae. And sure people could say that it’s because they’re roommates and that’s how you treat each other, but Jungkook knows different. Because he rooms with Hoseok and they sure as hell don’t treat each other like that.

No there is definitely some other motive behind Yoongi’s actions. 

“He finally told you?” He asks, knowing that Tae is having a hard time getting the world to make sense right now.

Tae looks at him with wide disbelieving eyes and an open mouth. “Y-You know?”

Jungkook rolls his eyes, because how could be not? “You know yourself.”

Tae looks down almost as if he’s hurt, his eyes casting down to look at his knees. “I know and I let him do it.”

Jungkook is a little taken aback by that, but he knows he can’t be angry at him, because that’s just how Tae is. He doesn’t think. He’s too quick on his feet and too fleeting with his feelings. Jungkook knows he should be scared of this, but honestly it’s one of the reasons why he stuck with Tae for so long. His personality is unique.

“You have to talk to him.”

Tae’s always seen Jungkook as the voice of reason. Even with him being the youngest in the group he’s always had a clearer head on his shoulders than their other friends have. And while he can be reckless and childish most of the time, they all count on him to pull them up when things get a little too out of control.

“I know,” Tae whispers, because of course Jungkook is right.

“What did he say when you left?” Jungkook’s question catches him off guard and he flinches as if he’s been slapped. Because he doesn’t know, he just walked out. He cared more about getting to Jungkook and feeling better himself than facing Yoongi and helping him through this. But Yoongi shut the door between them, so it was really him who caused this, right?

“I don’t know,” He admits, feeling ashamed with himself.

Jungkook raises an eyebrow, confused. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know what he said, because I just left!” He yells, his guilt giving way to anger the longer he thinks about what he did to Yoongi.

“Tae-,” Jungkook begins when he’s cut off.

“I don’t know what he said because I tried to talk to him, but he slammed the door in my face. I didn’t stay!” Tae’s eyes brim with tears as he stares at Jungkook with hard eyes. “I came here to see you because I felt terrible about what I did.”

“Taehyung...” Jungkook says softly.

Tae’s eyes soften. “I didn’t want you to be mad at me.”

Jungkook immediately moves closer and wraps Taehyung up in his arms. Tae reacts instantly wrapping his arms around the younger, thankful that he has such an understanding heart.

“You were both drunk and I know about his feelings for you, so really if it’s anyone’s fault it’s mine because I should have kept you closer to my side.”

Tae laughs softly; glad at least this side of the situation doesn’t have any complications.

“But if he ever tries something like that on my boyfriend behind my back again, I’ll kill him.”

Tae stiffens; he’s really going to have to talk to Yoongi.