One.

IOU

Kim Taehyung is not the type of friend that can be classed as reliable.

Min Yoongi knows this more than anybody. Knows that Taehyung is forgetful and too quick on his feet to think about the little things, like all the favours he owes Yoongi. In fact Yoongi is the one who’s constantly telling their friends that he’s never trusting Taehyung with anything again. And yet in some way quite unknown to him Taehyung manages to make him cave every single time.

Like that time Taehyung ‘forgot’ to study for his biology exam and Yoongi; being the considerate roommate he is stayed up all night to help Tae out. There was a promise of making it up to Yoongi somewhere in there, but that’s yet to come around again.

In fact there were a lot of promises that have spilled from Tae’s lips in a hurried rush finished with a grin that Yoongi is still waiting to see fulfilled.

But he goes along with it, because he knows that Tae means well. He just needs a little push every now and then to keep him on the right track.

He’s always been like this, since Yoongi met him in his second year, after his roommate moved out and left him with weekly rent he could no longer pay and an empty room. He’d scribbled out a quick flyer when he was drunk one night and stuck it onto the bulletin board in their cafeteria. With his hood pulled over his head he’d stumbled into a convenience store for ramen before collapsing in his bed.

He hadn’t expected to wake up some hours later to pounding on his front door that unfortunately didn’t go away once he’d shove his pillow over his head. With a reluctant sigh he’d heaved himself out of bed, straightened his twisted hoody and ran his hands through his hair.

He didn’t care that he looked like ; he just wanted the banging to stop.

He’d swung the door open; his eyes narrowed as he hoped his face looked annoyed enough that the person would take the hint and off.

“What?”

The man standing in front of him grinned, shoving a piece of paper into Yoongi’s face that took his eyes a full minute to adjust to as he stood there with his mouth open. When he finally realised what it was in front of him his eyes went wide. The man drew the flyer back, pulling his suitcase closer to his body.

“I guess I’m your new roommate.”

Yoongi knew in that second that it was a bad idea to let him in, but his head was throbbing with a hangover and he was too dumbstruck that someone would even give the flyer a second glance to refuse. So he shut the door behind the guy and walked back into his room and fell unconscious onto his bed.

Yoongi was positive it was a bad idea when he woke up some time later that night to find the same guy sitting on the end of his bed. His back was leaning against the wall as he flicked casually through the notebook Yoongi always kept next to his laptop on his desk. His laptop that was always closed when he wasn’t using but it was open to a half finished game of solitaire and covered in what looked suspiciously like Dorito crumbs.

He glanced over to the man who looked as if he was at home with his feet swinging off the side of the bed, his shirt pulled up just enough that Yoongi could see the tanned skin of his flat stomach.

Boundaries.

That was the first thing which would be set up. They need some serious boundaries.

The guy didn’t even realise that Yoongi had woken up, so the death glare he was receiving went to waste. Instead Yoongi moved his feet away from him and kicked him straight off the end of the bed. The man fell to the floor in a show of flailing limbs, a surprised squeak leaving his throat as his hit the floor.

“Hey!” He protested, not moving from his position, which Yoongi found almost laughable. The guy looked ridiculous.

“What the do you think you’re doing?” He’d stood up as he asked, walking over to his desk and tried to brush the crumbs away, definitely Doritos, and shut his laptop

The guy had stood up and Yoongi realised for the first time with a clearer mind just how tall the guy was. And good looking, but he wasn’t going to dwell on that.

The guy scratched the back of his head looking at Yoongi with a confused expression. “I thought we were bonding?”

Yoongi felt his eye twitch. “I was asleep and you were snooping.”

“Like I said, bonding.”

He’s way too hungover for this. “Who even are you?”

There’s that grin again. “Your new roommate.”

Yoongi feels stupider the longer he stands here doing this. “Name.” He states, pinching the bridge of his nose, wishing the throbbing in his head to go away. “What is your name?”

The guy stretches his hand out in front of him, his grin growing wider. “I’m Kim Taehyung.”

“Great.” Yoongi answered, turning away from him and walking out of his bedroom. He walks into the kitchen and begins making himself a coffee, sure that this is all just a weird dream he’s having due to the gin he drank last night. He sits down; rubbing his temples with the tips of his fingers and wills himself to wake up. Any second now he’ll wake up in his bed again but this time without some stranger treating the room like his own.

The kettle flicks off and his eyes shoot open staring right into dark brown eyes. He jumps back in surprise, almost taking the stool down with him before he rights himself.

“What are you doing?” The guy, Taehyung, asks with a confused smile.

“What are you doing!?”

Taehyung pulls out the chair opposite him and sits down, placing his elbows on the benchtop and staring. “You seem troubled.”

Yoongi’s eyes glare right into Taehyung’s. Is this guy really this dense? “Really? Because I usually have random guys sitting on the end of my bed claiming to be my new roommate.”

Taehyung is silent for a second thinking over the reply, before a small smile makes its way onto his face and he points at Yoongi with a cocked eyebrow. “I’m going to guess that you’re trying to joke.”

Yoongi just gave him a deadpan look that made the smile on the brunettes face grow.

“We’re going to get along just great.”

As much as Yoongi was enjoying the conversation he was way too tired to even try and comprehend what was going on. So he got up, and went back to bed. The previously boiled kettle left abandoned in its holder on the bench next to a grinning Taehyung who’s positive the year is going to be fun.

 

Not a lot changed from that night in the year that followed. Taehyung still didn’t understand the meaning of personal space and Yoongi was just as irritable as ever. But those moments were far and few between as Taehyung was hardly ever home. At first it worried Yoongi, being the elder of the two he would sit up some nights and hope that Taehyung came home.

Yoongi was never sure why, it’s not like him to care about people that much, especially ones that irritate him as Taehyung does. And the times when Taehyung actually did return at a barely reasonable hour, Yoongi would pass his being up as not being able to sleep.

Taehyung never questioned him.

But over the months Yoongi couldn’t help but notice the glint in Tae’s eyes that almost convinced him that he must know. That perhaps after everything he wasn’t actually that oblivious. Because Yoongi doesn’t think that it’s that possible for someone to not notice anything.

And it’s true that Tae wasn’t oblivious. He’d noticed the lights still on in the apartment every time he stumbled home after a night of drinking with his friends that he never introduced Yoongi to because he didn’t think he’d approve. He’d noticed the two coffee cups, instead of one, sitting on the benchtop every morning that he had a morning class. He’d noticed the way Yoongi looked at him for a second too long before the elder huffed as if he couldn’t quite figure out why he was staring either. 

Tae could see everything, and while it was in his nature to call the person out, something about Yoongi stopped him every time. Because it seemed as if what they were dealing with was of something on a whole other level that Tae’s never set foot in before.

To Tae, Yoongi is a roommate, and as much as he cared for him, he’s a roommate, a friend, someone special to him.

Yoongi is someone that Tae idolises, and respects as a hyung.

 

 “Taehyung!”

The brunette’s eyes open slowly as he stretched his exhausted body over the length of the couch.

“What?”

Yoongi stands at the fridge, the cool air sending a chill up his spine as he stares at his roommate, his eyes burning with fury.

“How many times have I told you not to touch my ?”

Tae rubs at his eyes tiredly and shrugs, not positive on what Yoongi is referring to this time. The vein in Yoongi’s forehead looks like it’s about to burst as Tae tries to understand what he’s talking about.

Yoongi notices his confusion and lifts his hand up, showing off an empty orange juice carton that Tae can vaguely remember chugging down when he got home last night, before the citrus made his stomach churn and he threw up in the sink. Dread suddenly washes over him as he tries to remember if he washed out the sink afterwards or not.

Yoongi only seems concerned over the lack of orange juice, so he assumes with a sigh of relief that he did.

“Orange juice, Taehyung.”

“I’ll replace it today, I swear.”

“That doesn’t change the fact that I have none right now,” Yoongi mumbles under his breath before placing the empty carton in the bin and walks back towards his room. He came out five minutes later to find tae still leaning over the back of the couch.

“I’ll be back late tonight, don’t wait up.”

And then he was gone.

Tae moulds himself back into the couch and drifts to sleep.