014

Crimson Canine

“Ummm hi”

You looked up to a blonde male, someone you have never seen before, eyes moving back and forth at the menu board above your head, seemingly having a hard time deciding on which dessert to have. If the emotions in the movie Inside Out do really exist, you would not want to imagine how chaotic it must be inside his head right now with all his emotions scattered around, trying to come up with one decision on his choice of food. You mentally laughed at your own thought. Living with the boys sure has influenced your way of thinking that everything in life is related to movies.

“Yes, may I take your order?”, you politely asked. You were assigned by Kyungsoo to be the one managing the front counter of the café on that day. Sehun supposed to be helping you but he went to the toilet for almost 10 minutes already. He probably had hit his head hard on the toilet bowl, lost his mind and could not find his way out of the toilet. (Everything is possible with this boys, you thought).

“Any specific cupcakes that you would like to recommend to me? All these displays are making me drool”, he sheepishly said.

“Don’t worry, that’s normal. I mean who would not be hypnotized by all this stuff, I would pay to have all of them in my tummy.” He chuckled at that. You’re never one to keep up with a conversation, but there weren’t much customers on that particular day and you were bored as heck, so why the heck not show your oh-so-friendly side once in a while.

“I assume that you’re new here? Cause’ I’ve never seen you around before. Don’t get me wrong, I mean I am just being curious, dude”. Maybe a little bit too talkative?

“Yeah, I’ve just moved here a few days ago. I’m still in the middle of unpacking all my stuffs in my new room though. I want to reward myself with something sweet before continuing my incomplete task which is why I stop by here.” “Oh by the way, I am Hoshi. And you are?”

“You can call me El. Here, take these red velvet cupcakes. I’ve placed extra meringue on top of it, hope that you don’t mind. It’s on me, think of it as a welcoming gift for you”.

Hoshi is a really good boy and you’re beginning to like him. He is the definition of an obedient younger brother who would listened to all his sisters’ rant no matter how boring it is. He thanked you for a dozens of time and only stopped doing so after being threatened by you. He told you that most of his friends from his previous neighbourhood are diabetic so he couldn’t really have anything sweets since his mom didn’t want him to become one too. Moving here gives him the freedom to eat whatever he has been craving to have for so long (in which you made him promise to come to the café more often). Both of you continue your conversation for a short while before Hoshi excused himself to leave.

“Oh by the way El, don’t assume anything cause’ that means you’re making an out of U and ME”, with that he took off. You sure like that boy.

*

Hoshi kept his promise by coming to the café every evening. You introduced him to the other boys, and thankfully they all mingled together in a split second. It was a total coincidence to know that Hoshi went to the same school as Sehun and Mingyu before, so such awkwardness could be prevented (much to your relief).

Hoshi’s regular appearance at the café made Chanyeol think that it is fine for him to make use of Hoshi for his own good and being the good kid Hoshi is, he voluntarily helps. There’s a time when Chanyeol told Hoshi to buy toilet papers and toothpaste since it was his duty for that week to do grocery shopping for the whole pack. “I am quite occupied with the café’s work right now and I don’t think that I’ll be able to go to the mart before midnight. Poor Kai could not sleep without brushing his teeth first”, was all he said and that was all it need for Hoshi to rush to the mart. But bad things never went unnoticed by Kai. As a punishment, Kai wrapped Chanyeol’s body with the toilet papers that he was supposed to buy when he was deep asleep and squeezed all the toothpaste on Chanyeol’s face. The pack’s house was chaotic that morning as all of you went to witness clumsy Chanyeol’s reaction. It was messy as hell. Chanyeol was then kicked out of his own room and was forced to buy the toothpaste and toilet papers again (since all of you have discarded and wasted the one that Hoshi bought).  Chanyeol did not dare ask people to buy anything for him from then on.

*

“Would you like to try the new chocolate fudge with peppermint that Kyungsoo made?”

Rin nodded then typed something on her phone. Rin came to the café sometimes too whenever she felt bored at the store. You have started to grow fonder of the latter and have been spending a lot of times together with her during your free time. Both of you gossiped about new rumours, picked on the boys and shared lame jokes just like what every other best friends do. It was a great progress in your life since you’ve never had a friend of the same before. You’ve been surrounded by boys throughout your life, training and studying were all you did back then. So to have someone like Rin with you just brought you a step closer to become as normal as everyone else.

“Have you watched the latest Spiderman? Geez, Tom Holland is super adorable”

“Don’t say it out aloud. Sehun hates that movie with all his heart.”

“Who the hates spiderman? Come on man this is 2017”

A swoosh of air went passed your head and was milliseconds away from hitting Rin square on her forehead. With your fast reflex, you caught the object; a fork before it even managed to touch the oblivious Rin. You turned around to see who did that and saw Sehun, with his apron on, glaring at Rin from the kitchen. He then walked off to continue washing the dishes in the sink like nothing ever happened. Still unaware of the threat around her, Rin whistled while scrolling through her phone. You didn’t realised that you’ve been holding your breath until Sehun was totally out of your sight. You’ve made a mental note in your mind to never anger Sehun in the future. Facing the front again, you were confronted with a confused Rin.

“El, why are you holding a fork?”.