Realization

Till Next Time
 
Days have been boring lately as Seulgi turned fifteen years old. High school was such a pain and she felt like dying, routine slowly submerging her. But Seulgi remained Seulgi. After all those years, she didn’t change much. She was just a little kid, trying her best to make friends and fit in with society.
 
“ Seulgi, quick ! We’ll be late ! “ 
 
Besides, there was Seungwan. Another kid she met in middle school and who was the sociable kind, making Seulgi’s life a bit happier. Because Seungwan was a bundle of energy, which made everything so lively. 
 
“ They said there will be a new student in my class ! “ Seugwan cheerfully said as they were both walking towards their school. “ People say the student’s father owns a famous hotel company. I wonder how rich they are ? “
 
Seulgi was curious to know as well. Since she’s been in high school, there was nothing more entertaining than Seungwan telling her stories about her former life in the countryside. Apart from this, everything was quite boring and she didn’t care about the other students at all. 
 
They were just a bunch of comrades after all. 
 
 
“ Seulgi, want to come to my birthday party ? I really want you to ! “
 
 
A bunch of comrades, right.
 
 
“ Hey, Seulgi. “ Seungwan called for her when they arrived in front of her class. “ If it happens to be a pretty boy, don’t be jealous okay ? “, she smiled and winked at her friend. 
 
Seulgi rolled her eyes at her teasing. “ Of course not. I’ll see you for lunch then. “
 
Of course not, Seulgi only wanted to complete her studies there and quickly leave this place. She wasn’t fond of finding a crush in high school or other stuff normal teenagers liked because it didn’t appeal to her. She only wanted to spend time doing things she loved and recently, she found a new hobby dear to her. 
 
Something which didn’t go unnoticed by those around her. 
 
“ Still drawing, Kang Seulgi as I can see. “
 
It wasn’t rare for her to be called by the teacher who wasn’t ashamed to expose her in front of the entire class. And this time she didn’t even have Seungwan to back her up so when she was busted, she could only accept her fate. “ Next time, you’ll be expelled from this class. “
 
Seulgi nodded.
 
Her only source of joy has been shattered to pieces again. 
 
- - -
 
When the bell rang, Seulgi was about to leave in order to reunite with Seungwan in the cafeteria but stopped when she saw a hand roughly taking her drawing from her table. She turned her head towards the culprit and saw a group of students crowding around the crinkled paper.
 
“ Wow, I didn’t know you drew this well Kang. “, a girl said to her with a condescending smile. “ So that’s the reason why you don’t speak much ? Too busy to draw, huh ? “
 
“ Give it back to me, please. “
 
“ Wait, it really is too pretty. Look, everyone. “, she passed the sheet to the other students as it was thoughtlessly grabbed without consideration. “ Isn’t it beautiful guys ? Seulgi’s a real artist. “
 
Usually, compliments would transform Seulgi into an embarrassed mess but this time, it didn’t feel right. On the contrary, she felt rather humiliated by her own comrades who started to laugh as if they were mocking her. But that’s what they were doing, right ? They were not sincere at all. Seulgi looked down and held back her tears. 
 
“ You don’t mind if I take it, Seulgi ? “, a boy asked as he was staring at the drawing. “ No, of course you don’t mind. You’re a really kind soul, right ? “
 
She would’ve said no if she wasn’t on the verge of crying. She would’ve taken back her drawing and said no, with all the bravery she should’ve had. But all she could do was to leave the classroom as quickly as possible, not wanting to stay any longer in this oppressive situation. She was alone against them. 
 
 
Seulgi was lonely, again.
 
- - -
 
When she got out of the class, everything around her was blurry. People walking past her, chatting, laughing. Seulgi felt like an outsider in this school, as if she was not really a part of it. She walked, her eyes glued on the ground and not minding anything else. Her sole aim was to to join Seungwan. She only needed her at times like these. 
 
“ Seulgi ! What took you so long ? “ Seungwan immediately asked when she saw her friend coming to her table and silently putting out her lunch. “ Wait, Seulgi. Are you.. crying ? “
 
“ I’m fine. “, she managed to say without making her trembling voice too obvious. “ I’m fine. I’m fine, Seungwan. “, she sat down without looking at her friend. 
 
“ Repeating you’re fine makes me think otherwise, you know. “, Seungwan stated with concern. “ What happened ? “
 
“ I don’t really know. “, Seulgi looked down on her sandwich in the plate. “ I don’t know why they acted like that. The other students took my drawing and laughed at me. “
 
“ They’re a bunch of idiots. I knew it since some of them talk in the back of their own friends. Don’t mind them, they’re not worth paying attention at. "
 
Seungwan was probably right. It was useless to feel so miserable because of them, it was a waste of energy. Still, Seulgi couldn’t help but feel hurt by their remarks. They were hypocritical and she knew her drawings were not the best but she wanted to improve. However, being put in such a humiliating position made her think she should maybe give up.
 
“ Oh, right ! What about the new student in your class ? “, Seulgi tried to lift up the mood a little and forced a smile. “ Is it a pretty boy, like the one you dreamt of ? “
 
“ Not a pretty boy. “, she let out a disappointed sigh. “ But rather a really pretty girl. I’ve never seen someone as beautiful as her ! She looks like a model ! An idol ! An actress  ! A goddess ! “
 
Seungwan’s enthusiasm and huge arms’ gestures made Seulgi laugh. And the way she jumped from actress to goddess so easily made it more adorable, because Seungwan’s compliments were always sincere. She was a honest kid, and Seulgi never felt more blessed to have met someone as nice as her. 
 
“ I talked to her and her voice is so soft and gentle ! And she seems to be really kind as well, not an arrogant brat who shows how rich she is. And I think a lot of boys in my class already have a crush on her. “
 
“ Well, it’s pretty understandable by the way you describe her. “
 
- - -
 
At the end of the day, everyone was packing up to leave the classroom and go home. Everyone but Seulgi who’s been halted halfway by the teacher and who ordered her to clean the room as a punishment for her lack of seriousness in class. 
 
She hated to clean after the other students. Especially when they were the ones who threw their paper everywhere and anywhere, then left as if nothing happened. Not wanting to spend more time on this ungrateful task, she finished what was assigned to her with an efficiency she never thought she’d have. Somehow, she couldn’t hide her satisfied smile after her work was done. 
 
The corridor was now empty and Seulgi closed the classroom’s door behind her. She calmly walked along the hallway's lockers in the unusually silent school but slowed her pace midway. Something was on the floor not far from her, and she could recognize it without a doubt. That was her drawing. 
 
With a happy smile, she walked faster and started to bend down but watched with dismay the sheet of paper being picked by someone’s else hand before her. 
 
“ Is it yours ? “
 
Seulgi looked up as her eyes met those of the other student and the memories of a distant past abruptly resurfaced. The person in front of her was strangely familiar. It felt like eating one’s youth favorite candy and having all the good old senses triggered again. A petite girl, brown eyes and dark hair, pale face with pink lips followed by an undeniable charm. 
 
Seulgi could only nod. A shy and small nod. 
 
“ That’s pretty cute. “, the girl smiled as she was looking at the drawing in her hands. “ You must really like bears. “
 
“ Y-yeah.. “ Seulgi hardly managed to say. “ I like them. “
 
“ It’s a shame your drawing’s so wrinkled. “, she put the sheet on a locker behind her and tried to straighten it back out again.     
 
“ Don’t worry ! “, the brunette exclaimed rapidly. “ I mean, don’t put so much effort for this.. thing. “
 
“ Why ? If you don’t want to have it back, I’ll take it. “
 
Seulgi nearly gasped, surprised by her sudden claim. “ What ? Why would you do that for such an ugly drawing ? “ 
 
“ Because I like it. “
 
Seulgi noticed the gentle smile the student was baring and she felt herself blushing all of a sudden. It was weird to be that shy in front of someone her age but the other girl had this kind of effect. And the fact that she seemed so familiar enhanced the power she had over Seulgi.
 
Did she actually knew her ? 
 
“ Then you can have it. I don’t mind. “ 
 
“ Really ? “, she exclaimed with a wide smile. “ Thank you, Seulgi ! “ 
 
Following those words, the person bearing this name immediately widened her eyes in shock. “ How do you know my name ? “
 
Was it really her ? The girl she knew back then in elementary school. It looked like her, but she wasn’t sure if she could jump into this kind of conclusion so hastily. Now that they were facing each other, staring at the other girl made Seulgi think.. she sure seemed to have the same features as the nine-year-old popular kid from before. 
 
“ It’s written on your drawing. “, her interlocutor simply replied. 
 
Of course.
 
How dumb could Seulgi actually be to have forgotten she always wrote her name on all her drawings ? It was actually more embarrassing for her since Seulgi genuinely thought this girl remembered her. It seemed she was hoping too much. 
 
“ Kang Seulgi. “, she quietly read the scribbled name on the damaged page.
 
“ Yes, that’s me. “, Seulgi replied with a shy smile. She wanted to know for her as well. No matter what happens, it was better to ask now than never. Thus she’d be fixed on her identity. “ And you are.. ? “
 
“ Bae Joohyun. Nice to meet you. “
 
Seulgi mumbled inaudibly, repeating the name which was said to her. She was right then. Or was it another Bae Joohyun ? No, it’s impossible. This girl was the only one, as she’s always described her. A petite girl, brown eyes and dark hair, pale face with pink lips followed by an undeniable charm.. 
 
It must be this girl. 
 
She knew her.
 
“ I.. I think we already know each other. “, Seulgi hesitated to say. 
 
The transferred student in her former elementary school back in the day. Her beauty was the same as ever, if not greater than before. To think that they’d meet again in this school.. it made Seulgi happy, unconsciously. 
 
Though she wasn’t prepared to hear the following words. 
 
“ That’s weird. I don’t remember you. “ Joohyun casually replied.
 
It’s normal, Seulgi thought. It’s been a long time. And they were not even close back in the day. It’s normal for her not to remember. Even though it hurt a little, because back in the day, Joohyun was the first to approach her. And the first to disappear all of a sudden as well.
 
“ Oh, is that so. “ Seulgi didn’t hide her disappointment. “ I must be wrong then. Sorry. “ , she apologized although she knew deep in her core they certainly met. “ Nice to meet you, Joohyun ! “
 
Seulgi found herself extending her arm, realizing too late that it was maybe a bit too awkward and formal. But after analyzing the other student’s facial expression, she relaxed a bit as Joohyun gave her a warm smile and took her hand in hers. 
 
Joohyun’s hand was soft and small, she realized. And Seulgi also realized she didn’t want to let go of it. 
 
Thus, maybe Joohyun would stay a little bit longer by her sides than before.
 

 
Ohoho, so that's how they meet again ! 
 
Hope you enjoyed this second chapter, see you !